Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Skiing in Colorado

I'm trying to plan a ski trip for sometime in March looking at Colorado anyone know of any cheap lodging or deals on lift tickets?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 27

Re: Skiing in Colorado

Which resort? Or is that open?

The best lift ticket deals can be had at the grocery stores in Denver, they are usually cheaper than buying them at the mountain, but that is only for certain resorts.

If you are driving from DSM, I recommend skipping summit county and going to the boat, the drive is a few hrs less and the skiing is so much better. Plus it is out of the way enough that it is empty in March.

I am going snowboarding there in March also.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Are you going with a large group or small group? There are more options for deals with larger groups.

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 913
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

The recent storm in the mountains has been great for skiing and boarding, they are measuring the snow in feet. 70 has been closed regularly for avalanche control. Aspen is reporting record snow totals, but if you want cheap, forget I even mentioned Aspen....
    Get lift tickets from King Soopers (Colorado version of HyVee) Avoid Summit and go to Steamboat to avoid most of the weekend warriors and tourists.

Enjoy!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    Which resort? Or is that open?

The best lift ticket deals can be had at the grocery stores in Denver, they are usually cheaper than buying them at the mountain, but that is only for certain resorts.

If you are driving from DSM, I recommend skipping summit county and going to the boat, the drive is a few hrs less and the skiing is so much better. Plus it is out of the way enough that it is empty in March.

I am going snowboarding there in March also.
    Open to any resorts and any state really within the budget

Quote Originally Posted by kometclone View Post
    Are you going with a large group or small group? There are more options for deals with larger groups.
    Small group 4 or 5 people

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Look at some of the timeshares to stay at instead of the resorts. Many resorts in Colorado have bus service to pick up skiiers. There are timeshare websites that may have some good deals in March.

Winter Park is a fun place that's close to Denver and has plenty of lower cost options for housing.

Starter
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 209
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

You might also want to check out Monarch. It's not a huge resort, but the skiing is decent (good powder, usually), and the lift tickets are some of the most affordable in Colorado. Plus, you can usually find reasonably-priced hotels to stay at in nearby Salida and Buena Vista. Monach doesn't have the "glam factor" of some of the Summit County resorts or Aspen or Vail, but it's one of the most cost-effective ways to take a ski vacation to Colorado.

BvK, you've got to quit making so much sense because I "must spread some rep around" before giving more to you.
    (Original quote by wonkadog.)

Starter
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 241
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Try Silver Creek, near Winterpark. Nice smaller resort, I could ski right up to the condo back door.

Addict
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 388
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 6

I love going to Steamboat, but I couldn't imagine trying to get there in the winter time. We usually try to come in from the north through Nebraska and Wyoming, and I've only ever been there in March when the crowds weren't as bad.

Go Sssssssssyclones!

All-Star
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 18

Quote Originally Posted by NebrClone View Post
    Try Silver Creek, near Winterpark. Nice smaller resort, I could ski right up to the condo back door.
    Silver Creek is now called Sol Vista. Its a family resort near Winter Park. Its a nice place if you're not an experienced skier or are going with small children. Otherwise, there's not much variety (only 2 hills) and not terribly challenging.

Starter
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by NebrClone View Post
    Good call on Silver Creek. I've skied there before, and was pleasantly surprised by it. It's probably even smaller than Monarch, but it has some nice runs and is definitely not overcrowded. The only problem with Silver Creek is the lodging options. There aren't a whole lot. What is there isn't overpriced like some of the Summit County hotels and lodges, but they aren't super cheap, either.

BvK, you've got to quit making so much sense because I "must spread some rep around" before giving more to you.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 318
    Given: 162

I just got back from Keystone and Vail, snow was decent. But with the snowstorm that just moved through, there should be plenty of powder everywhere. We ordered our lift tickets through "peaks" which saves you some $$$, the amount of money you save depends on how many days of skiing you are doing.
    And "peaks" only works through, Keystone, Vail, Breckenridge, A-basin, and Beaver Creek.

Starter
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ahaselhu View Post
    Silver Creek is now called Sol Vista. Its a family resort near Winter Park. Its a nice place if you're not an experienced skier or are going with small children. Otherwise, there's not much variety (only 2 hills) and not terribly challenging.
    Whoops! You're right. Silver Creek is now called Sol Vista, though some of us "locals" have found it hard to break the habit of calling it by its old name. There are still several businesses and lodging facilities in the area that still use Silver Creek in their names, even with the ski resort's name change. I agree that Sol Vista isn't terribly challenging, although there were a couple of decent intermediate runs when I was there. It is great, though, for a leisurely day of skiing without big crowds. It all depends on what you're looking for, I guess.

All-Star
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 18

Quote Originally Posted by BvK1126 View Post
    Whoops! You're right. Silver Creek is now called Sol Vista, though some of us "locals" have found it hard to break the habit of calling it by its old name. There are still several businesses and lodging facilities in the area that still use Silver Creek in their names, even with the ski resort's name change. I agree that Sol Vista isn't terribly challenging, although there were a couple of decent intermediate runs when I was there. It is great, though, for a leisurely day of skiing without big crowds. It all depends on what you're looking for, I guess.
    Honestly its the only place in Colorado that I've been to. My wife's family (20+ people) goes there every other year, and we've loved it. It's great for kids, because there's several nice long easy hills and there's usually not too many people there.

We were there last January, and there were building several new Condos further up the hill, so they may have more options now.

We're thinking we'll probably try Winter Park next time, because Sol Vistas getting pretty played out for us. But it is a nice place to go.

Starter
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 16

SolVista is a very good place for family and the learn to ski type of crowd. The whole Granby Ranch development has exploded recently. They are doing major renovations at the hill, and the accommodations are improving greatly.

If you don't want to drive you can take Amtrak into Granby which is only 2 miles or so from the hill. Also new this year you can catch a shuttle to Winter Park, which is 20 miles south if you want to ski a bigger hill one of the days of your trip.

Monarch is also a great call, for purely the skiing. Next to zero night life, but the skiing is some of the best. As it sits on the divide in southern Colorado, the snow is almost always excellent and hardly ever a crowd. It is a ski mountain, not a resort.

If the extra drive is no problem, you are looking for a little night life, and enjoy more of a ski challenge, I think it is hard to top Crested Butte. If you are looking to save extra $ you can stay in Gunnison and hitch hike up every morning. I haven't skied there for a few years, but they used to offer $0 lift tickets the last 2 weeks of the season, so only have lodging to pay for if you can go the first few weeks of April.

Last edited by becrisgreg; 01-08-2008 at 05:41 PM.