Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 34
  1. #16
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 37,725, Level: 59
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 125
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cloneu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    4,094
    Points
    37,725
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

    Re: Media (specifically ESPN) Coverage of the BCS

    While LSU did look good against VT, I think it had more to do with VT being stale the first half of the season compared to the last couple of ACC games. It is too hard to say what game was the teams best, but I would say most teams play their best games in Oct-Nov, not Aug., Sept, or bowl games.



  2. #17
    Speechless
    Points: 333,325, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    31,631
    Points
    333,325
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 42

    Re: Media (specifically ESPN) Coverage of the BCS

    Early in the game last night, when OSU was tearing up the Tiger defense...the wife commented on it and I said "well, they are missing their defensive coordinator".

    Not long after the camera panned to Pelini on the sidelines.

    That shows how much I know! :)



  3. #18
    Addict
    Points: 118,867, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cyclonenum1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,181
    Points
    118,867
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Media (specifically ESPN) Coverage of the BCS

    Quote Originally Posted by ISU BET View Post
    listening to herby last night, i thought he sounded anything but biased toward osu or the big 10. he said pregame that he would give the coaching edge to les miles, who has been questioned all year in his decision making. also said that if osu would lose that would verify many peoples claims about the big 10 being so weak.
    My personal opinion is that Herbie (and ESPN) has heard the rumblings by many not associated with the Big 10 that he (and the network) is a complete shill for the Big 10. Why do you think they no longer ask him for his prediction on the game he is going to broadcast with Musberger? Now he goes out of his way to try and not appear that he is a Big 10 shill. Comical, in my opinion.



    I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

  4. #19
    Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    ISUAlum2003's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    169
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Media (specifically ESPN) Coverage of the BCS

    FOX does a terrible job of covering college football.


    Chizik.jpg

  5. #20
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 56,003, Level: 73
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,047
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    benjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,522
    Points
    56,003
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 11

    Re: Media (specifically ESPN) Coverage of the BCS

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2003 View Post
    FOX does a terrible job of covering college football.
    I hated the announcers last night. Herbs might be a big 10 shill, but I actually enjoy his commentary.



  6. #21
    Addict
    Points: 118,867, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cyclonenum1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,181
    Points
    118,867
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Media (specifically ESPN) Coverage of the BCS

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2003 View Post
    FOX does a terrible job of covering college football.
    I agree...pretty tough to not really cover it much all year (except on Fox Sports "whatever part of the country you live in") and then bring in a bunch of guys that haven't seen much CFB all year to do the biggest games at the end of the season. But, hey, it's all about money and Fox was the highest bidder!



    I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

  7. #22
    Pro
    Points: 37,033, Level: 59
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 817
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    2,565
    Points
    37,033
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 5

    Re: Media (specifically ESPN) Coverage of the BCS

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclone#1 View Post
    I didn't say LSU did not play well last night. However, last night was not the best game they have played all year...that was clearly the Va. Tech game. Yes, having seen every LSU game this year (most of them in person), that is my opinion.

    If I was a real *******, like others on this site, I would just tell you all that you shouldn't even post your opinions since you have not seen LSU play like I have...but I'm not going to do that.
    I agree with cloneu. I'm a VT fan by marriage (soon to be, anyway, and ALWAYS #2 to the Clones), and VT was not the same team when they played LSU as they were in the second half of the season. I'm not taking credit away from LSU, because they kicked the crap out of the Hokies, but I guarantee VT would give them a lot more trouble if they played now. I still think LSU would beat them, and I think they deserve the national title, but it would just be a closer game.



  8. #23
    Pro
    Points: 37,033, Level: 59
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 817
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    2,565
    Points
    37,033
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 5

    Re: Media (specifically ESPN) Coverage of the BCS

    Also, after the guys (can't remember which one specifically) got done saying that both LSU this year and Florida last year played their best games in the title game, Corso made the astute remark that it may have been because of the opponent. I wouldn't call that Big 10 bias. (disclaimer: I HATE the Big 10, and think there is a general bias towards them)



  9. #24
    Speechless
    Points: 464,878, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    31,231
    Points
    464,878
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 282
    Given: 185

    Re: Media (specifically ESPN) Coverage of the BCS

    Quote Originally Posted by benjay View Post
    I hated the announcers last night. Herbs might be a big 10 shill, but I actually enjoy his commentary.
    Yeah, but in that case it's Mustburger that you have to tolerate...


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  10. #25
    Starter Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    acs4isu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    799
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Media (specifically ESPN) Coverage of the BCS

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Yeah, but in that case it's Mustburger that you have to tolerate...
    I am so glad this season is over and I don't have to listen to Musberger's man crush commentary on John David Booty any more. During the course of a game, usually it's the player's last names that they use, but Musberger feels contractually obligated to say "John David Booty" 98% of the time. It was just one of those things that got on my nerves. Of course, I can't stand Musberger... that stems from his coverage of a golf tournament when he said "All he has to do is make this three foot tap-in." No one who has ever stood over a golf ball regards a three foot putt as a "tap-in".

    /anti-Musberger rant


    Attempting to debate with a person who has abandoned reason is like giving medicine to the dead. - Thomas Paine

  11. #26
    Addict
    Points: 82,274, Level: 89
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,476
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CYVADER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cornfields
    Posts
    5,215
    Points
    82,274
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 4

    Re: Media (specifically ESPN) Coverage of the BCS

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclone#1 View Post
    My personal opinion is that Herbie (and ESPN) has heard the rumblings by many not associated with the Big 10 that he (and the network) is a complete shill for the Big 10. Why do you think they no longer ask him for his prediction on the game he is going to broadcast with Musberger? Now he goes out of his way to try and not appear that he is a Big 10 shill. Comical, in my opinion.
    then do you think he was being biased like your original post eluded to, or do you think he was purposefully knocking on the big 10 just to try to regain some respect from fans of other conferences? look, herbie did go to osu, desmond went to michigan, but i just don't see them coming off with that much bias to the big 10 when they cover games, or during gameday. espn does have a package with the big 10, or at least they show a lot of their games, but i have never heard either one of those guys claim that the big 10 is the superior conference if it is not. as far as asking him for his prediction, i think they can't ask because it is a conflict of interest for him to predict the outcome of the game he is calling, and therefore espn won't allow him to do so. i'm sure that keith jackson wouldn't be allowed to make a prediction to any of the games he is covering, or any other commentator. corso does it on the pregame show, but he isn't actually calling the game. and for the record, i hate the big 10 and most of their fans.



  12. #27
    All-Star
    Points: 19,396, Level: 42
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    iccyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Iowa City
    Posts
    1,403
    Points
    19,396
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 9

    Question Herbstreit on Big Ten - NC Postgame Show

    I switched over to ESPN at the end of the National Championship game and watched the postgame with Chris, Todd Blackledge, Herbstreit and Corso. Herbstreit, upset over the OSU showing, was complaining that the average fan rates the Big Ten somewhere "between the MAC and Conference USA" for football prowess. While I think that's a little farfetched, I do believe the Big Ten is the least of the BCS conferences and I'm tired (as many are) of seeing OSU in the national title game.

    On the flipside, I'm continually amazed at what great football is played in the SEC. Where do you think OSU would finish if they played a standard SEC schedule? I think they'd probably be 8-4 or 9-3 at the best. Even the lesser lights in that conference rise up once or twice per year and knock off one of the premium schools (Kentucky beats LSU; South Carolina beats Georgia; Vanderbilt beats South Carolina). Thoughts?


    Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain

  13. #28
    Addict
    Points: 118,867, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cyclonenum1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,181
    Points
    118,867
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Media (specifically ESPN) Coverage of the BCS

    Quote Originally Posted by ISU BET View Post
    then do you think he was being biased like your original post eluded to, or do you think he was purposefully knocking on the big 10 just to try to regain some respect from fans of other conferences? look, herbie did go to osu, desmond went to michigan, but i just don't see them coming off with that much bias to the big 10 when they cover games, or during gameday. espn does have a package with the big 10, or at least they show a lot of their games, but i have never heard either one of those guys claim that the big 10 is the superior conference if it is not. as far as asking him for his prediction, i think they can't ask because it is a conflict of interest for him to predict the outcome of the game he is calling, and therefore espn won't allow him to do so. i'm sure that keith jackson wouldn't be allowed to make a prediction to any of the games he is covering, or any other commentator. corso does it on the pregame show, but he isn't actually calling the game. and for the record, i hate the big 10 and most of their fans.
    Yes, I absolutely believe that is the case on point one.

    With respect to point two...no, at present they do not tout the Big 10 as "superior" but they certainly make it appear that it is a big deal to win the Big 10...which currently means that you have to only win one, maybe two, tough games during the year. And look at how they reacted when Michigan beat Florida...the story was "look..the Big 10 can play with the SEC" not "Michigan's QB played the best game of his career and Michigan was highly motivated to win Carr's last game" while "Florida was just finishing a disappointing (for them) year after winning it all last year".



    I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

  14. #29
    Addict
    Points: 118,867, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cyclonenum1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,181
    Points
    118,867
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Herbstreit on Big Ten - NC Postgame Show

    Quote Originally Posted by iccyfan View Post
    I switched over to ESPN at the end of the National Championship game and watched the postgame with Chris, Todd Blackledge, Herbstreit and Corso. Herbstreit, upset over the OSU showing, was complaining that the average fan rates the Big Ten somewhere "between the MAC and Conference USA" for football prowess. While I think that's a little farfetched, I do believe the Big Ten is the least of the BCS conferences and I'm tired (as many are) of seeing OSU in the national title game.

    On the flipside, I'm continually amazed at what great football is played in the SEC. Where do you think OSU would finish if they played a standard SEC schedule? I think they'd probably be 8-4 or 9-3 at the best. Even the lesser lights in that conference rise up once or twice per year and knock off one of the premium schools (Kentucky beats LSU; South Carolina beats Georgia; Vanderbilt beats South Carolina). Thoughts?
    I absolutely think Ohio St. is a .500 team (4-4) in the SEC.



    I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

  15. #30
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 55,583, Level: 73
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,467
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    pulse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,524
    Points
    55,583
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 14

    Re: Media (specifically ESPN) Coverage of the BCS

    Mesburger is infatuated with Booty, he can't stop repeating it. Year in and year out there are 3 teams that are always ranked at least 3-4 spots higher than they should be: Michigan, Ohio State, and Virginia Tech. Yes they have good teams, but they are always pegged higher. There should just be a cap or variable written into the computers where they can't go above #5.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM