Big Televen Exposed (Again)
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 56
  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 95,063, Level: 96
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,987
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,185
    Points
    95,063
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Big Televen Exposed (Again)

    As much as I enjoy it, I am a little bored of watching the Big Televen Champion get blown out in the BCS Title game and the Rose Bowl. Can we start to put more emphasis on strength of schedule and encourage the pollsters to stop dead horsing the Big Televen? I understand getting blown out in the Rose Bowl is a tradition and I am willing to meet them half way. Give them the Rose Bowl and let them rock paper scissors their way to a conference championship and leave the title games for those that deserve it.



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 454,593, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    brianhos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Trenchtown
    Posts
    39,930
    Points
    454,593
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 389
    Given: 49

    Re: Big Televen Exposed (Again)

    Not likely to change until we have a playoff system. And that will never happen.


    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

  3. #3
    Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    20
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Big Televen Exposed (Again)

    It bugs me how they are able to back into these bowl games every year. If no one had to play a conference championship game, then Ohio State would have played in the Rose Bowl and Illinois could have gone to a bowl where they could have actually competed.

    Its no wonder the Big 10 is so against a playoff system. Every year they can sit around while other teams are still playing and then just get given two BCS games.



  4. #4
    Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    29
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Big Televen Exposed (Again)

    Quote Originally Posted by Enginerd View Post
    As much as I enjoy it, I am a little bored of watching the Big Televen Champion get blown out in the BCS Title game and the Rose Bowl. Can we start to put more emphasis on strength of schedule and encourage the pollsters to stop dead horsing the Big Televen? I understand getting blown out in the Rose Bowl is a tradition and I am willing to meet them half way. Give them the Rose Bowl and let them rock paper scissors their way to a conference championship and leave the title games for those that deserve it.
    How do you explain the Fiesta Bowl? Was that the Big12 getting exposed? Cap1 bowl? Was that the Big 10 exposing the SEC? It was 1 game.



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 83,433, Level: 89
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 317
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,059
    Points
    83,433
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 174
    Given: 0

    Re: Big Televen Exposed (Again)

    When Kansas was still undefeated the national media was complaining about their soft schedule. Can someone explain to me how tOSU's was any better and we don't hear a peep about it. I guess they just assume the Big10 is tough because it always is, right?



  6. #6
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 66,452, Level: 80
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,598
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cyfanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Posts
    4,105
    Points
    66,452
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57
    Given: 827

    Re: Big Televen Exposed (Again)

    Quote Originally Posted by jferg View Post
    It bugs me how they are able to back into these bowl games every year. If no one had to play a conference championship game, then Ohio State would have played in the Rose Bowl and Illinois could have gone to a bowl where they could have actually competed.

    Its no wonder the Big 10 is so against a playoff system. Every year they can sit around while other teams are still playing and then just get given two BCS games.
    That is a great point! I just can't believe that Missouri was penalized for playing in a conference championship! They beat KU...lose the conference title game...KU gets a better bowl? KU did themselves proud...but it isn't right!



  7. #7
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 66,452, Level: 80
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,598
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cyfanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Posts
    4,105
    Points
    66,452
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57
    Given: 827

    Re: Big Televen Exposed (Again)

    Quote Originally Posted by Schleesucks View Post
    How do you explain the Fiesta Bowl?
    STOOPS and his B10 connections...just kidding. Man...I bet there are a lot of whispers around that program about what they should do different in December!



  8. #8
    Rookie
    Points: 8,692, Level: 27
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    rd4isu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    537
    Points
    8,692
    Level
    27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    I love it!

    Ohio State, meanwhile, now symbolizes the pigskin Peter Principle. The Buckeyes have achieved just enough the past two seasons to rise to a level where they're incompetent.
    ESPN - Buckeyes and BCS title game: Third time's a harm - Columnist



  9. #9
    Legend
    Points: 387,762, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    24,022
    Points
    387,762
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 778
    Given: 625

    Re: I love it!

    This is tricky...stick with a consistent winning coach who cant win the championship, or move onto an unknown who may take years to get back to this record?



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 91,556, Level: 94
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,594
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CYdTracked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    8,700
    Points
    91,556
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 8

    Re: Big Televen Exposed (Again)

    Quote Originally Posted by jferg View Post
    It bugs me how they are able to back into these bowl games every year.
    Ok, I've explained this before. They didn't back into anything! they played 12 games just like everyone else did, their schedule just happens to end 2 weeks before everyone else's but they still played just as many games as everyone else. If they had lost their last game just like all the other teams in contention did in their last game they wouldn't be in that game. They were 11-1, they earned the right to be there. Yes it sucks they have got blown out 2 years in a row now but who else do you think would have played a closer game against LSU? Kansas? No way and Mizzou should have been in a BCS game not KU. Hawaii was unbeaten and got killed, USC, VT, Georgia, and OU all had 2 losses and half of them got beat in their bowl games.

    You put in a playoff system and I liked USC and Mizzou's chances. But with the current system in place OSU earned the right to be there. It's not perfect but all it would have taken is for a couple games to have a different outcome in the last week and OSU would not have been in the title game.


    Go Cubs Go!

  11. #11
    Rookie
    Points: 8,692, Level: 27
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    rd4isu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    537
    Points
    8,692
    Level
    27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: I love it!

    Quote Originally Posted by bostinelosd View Post
    This is tricky...stick with a consistent winning coach who cant win the championship, or move onto an unknown who may take years to get back to this record?
    Marty Schottenheimer Jr?



  12. #12
    Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    DaddyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    14,375
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: I love it!

    Quote Originally Posted by bostinelosd View Post
    This is tricky...stick with a consistent winning coach who cant win the championship, or move onto an unknown who may take years to get back to this record?
    Boy, that would be something. He consistently wins the big 10. Consistently beats their arch-rival. Routinely goes the BCS and has played in 3 of 10 (?) national championship games.

    That would be quite the move to kick him to the curb simply because "he's only won one national championship"

    Wouldn't put it past tOSU however.

    BTW, isn't Gene Smith, formerly of ISU, the AD there? I'd say Tressel is safe.



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 91,556, Level: 94
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,594
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CYdTracked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    8,700
    Points
    91,556
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 8

    Re: I love it!

    I guess people forgot that he won a national title back in 2003 (2002 season I guess.) huh? I'd take a coach that got my team to the national title game 3 times in the past 6 years and is 73-15 since he took the job in 2001 and also has won 4 conference titles in 7 years. I love it how people here can rip on other schools when I'd do anything to take that kind of success here at ISU.


    Go Cubs Go!

  14. #14
    Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    20
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Big Televen Exposed (Again)

    Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    they played 12 games just like everyone else did, their schedule just happens to end 2 weeks before everyone else's but they still played just as many games as everyone else.
    Thats true, but would Ohio State have played last night if the season ended on November 17th like it did for them? I understand that the other teams in contention for the NC should have won their conference championships, but do you feel confident that Ohio State could have beaten another Big 10 team if they would have played again? What if they would of played Wisconsin, Illinois, or Michigan one more time?



  15. #15
    Legend
    Points: 387,762, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    24,022
    Points
    387,762
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 778
    Given: 625

    Re: I love it!

    Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    I guess people forgot that he won a national title back in 2003 (2002 season I guess.) huh? I'd take a coach that got my team to the national title game 3 times in the past 6 years and is 73-15 since he took the job in 2001 and also has won 4 conference titles in 7 years. I love it how people here can rip on other schools when I'd do anything to take that kind of success here at ISU.

    Im not ripping on them. I give them alot of credit to be where they are regardless of loss. I wonder how ISU would have done against either team. =)



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.tv
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Mississippi Valley State
  • December 31, 2014
  • 06:00 PM