The fall season for the softball season wrapped up today. The team went 6-2 over two weekends with a loss to a community college and a 0-13 run-rule washout to the Hawkeyes today. (Lowlighted by one terrible inning where we gave them 6 outs rather than the usual 3.) Anyway, I caught three games. Since this will be such a senior laden team this year, I'm really quite optomistic about the upcoming season. Due to space constraints I'll limit my comments to the freshman who will I think play a lot this year and Third Base.

3rd - we didn't have a true third baseman last year with the knee injury to Karanzias. She's back and healthy. Her backup I'm guessing will be the freshman Bradbarry. If the wheels fall off, they could still go to Tharp and Olsen who split the position last year. (Olsen will be in RF.)

Carlin - I think will be the number three pitcher this year. She doesn't throw as hard as Ransom but appears to has as much movement on her pitches as Ford. She'll be a nice addition.

Wray - will fill the role at shortstop. I didn't see enough plays to comment on her defensively. She's replacing a senior that was a four year starter (Akins) so there will inevitably be a drop-off on the defensive side. She has more upside offensively than Akins simply because she's a left-handed slapper with wheels. If she can keep her shoes tied she'll hit a minimum of .200 this season.

My last observation is it is amazing the offensive change this team has made with Coach Gemeinhardt. Two seasons ago, I can only remember one lefthanded hitter in the lineup. That was Rieching, who is not a slapper. Today they had 5 lefties, 3 of whom are speedy slappers (Olsen, Wray, and F. Johnson.)

Looking forward to February. Go Cyclones.

2007... NCAA Bound... First time ever!!!