Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 0

Brady wins NFL MVP with 49 of 50 votes.

HE should've had all 50, unless that one other voter went to Randy Moss. Who else could of earned MVP besides Brady??

Brady takes 49 of 50 votes in MVP voting
    Associated Press

Updated: January 5, 2008, 9:08 PM ET
    Comment
    Email
    Print
    NEW YORK -- For all their achievements, past Most Valuable Players John Unitas, Dan Marino and Joe Montana never had a season like Tom Brady's 2007.

[+] EnlargePhoto by Evan Pinkus/Getty Images

Tom Brady rewrote the NFL record book in 2007 and earned all but one MVP vote.

The New England Patriots' record-setting quarterback added The Associated Press NFL MVP award Saturday in the same manner his team romped through its schedule, going 16-0. On the way to the first unbeaten regular season since Miami went 14-0 in 1972, Brady put on a performance for the ages, which earned him all but one vote from a nationwide panel of 50 media members who regularly cover the league.

"I have always been a huge football fan and will always have great respect for the history of this game," Brady said. "I am flattered to join such an esteemed list of players, many of whom I consider the greatest of all time. I hope that I can set as great of an example for kids around the world as the previous MVPs did for me.

"I am grateful to all of the voters for any consideration I was given. It is a tremendous honor and I am sure it is one that my family will one day look back on with great pride."

Brady is the first Patriot selected NFL MVP. He drew 49 of the 50 votes from a nationwide panel of media members who regularly cover the NFL. Green Bay quarterback Brett Favre, the only three-time MVP, got the other vote.

The eight-year veteran who already has won three Super Bowls helped the Patriots tear through the record books by throwing for 50 touchdowns. He beat Peyton Manning's league mark by one, and also threw 23 of those TD passes to Randy Moss, which lifted the receiver past Jerry Rice's record of 22.

New England scored 589 points, another record, as was the Patriots' 75 touchdowns. Brady led the NFL with a 117.2 passer rating -- no, not another record, but close to Manning's 121.1 in 2004. Only one full-time AFC starter, Jacksonville's David Garrard, had fewer than Brady's eight interceptions. And Brady threw 253 more passes than Garrard.

Brady also was tops with a 68.9 completion percentage, and his 4,806 yards were 383 more than runner-up Drew Brees of New Orleans.

Brady joins a roster of AP MVPs that includes quarterbacks Unitas, Bart Starr, Fran Tarkenton, Marino, Montana, John Elway and Steve Young -- all Hall of Famers.

Nothing Promised
    Winning the AP NFL MVP does not guarantee postseason success. Since the turn of the century, no AP NFL MVP has won a Super Bowl, with only three advancing to the title game. The last to win both the MVP and the Super Bowl was Kurt Warner in 1999.

Year MVP Postseason Result
    2007 Tom Brady ?
    2006 LaDainian Tomlinson L, Divisional Rd
    2005 Shaun Alexander L, Super Bowl
    2004 Peyton Manning L, Divisional Rd
    2003 Peyton Manning L, AFC Champ.
    Steve McNair L, Divisional Rd
    2002 Rich Gannon L, Super Bowl
    2001 Kurt Warner L, Super Bowl
    2000 Marshall Faulk L, Wild Card

Yet Brady insists individual accomplishments don't rule his world.

"As I have learned over the course of my time with the Patriots, the most meaningful accomplishments are always the ones I have celebrated with my teammates," he said. "I am certainly proud of the success that we have enjoyed so far this season."

There also was plenty of praise to go around from teammates, Patriots owner Robert Kraft and coach Bill Belichick.

"To be honest, I'm surprised it took so long for him to get this recognition because he's sort of been our MVP since he stepped on the field in '01, in my mind, and the way he just took over," Kraft said. "He treats everyone in that locker room the same way he treats me or the coaches.

"And the thing that I've found most interesting is if you talk to role players or backups how he talks to them and motivates them. He treats them like they're going to the Pro Bowl, with that kind of respect."

Added Mike Vrabel, who has gone from a role player to a Pro Bowl linebacker over the years:

"He's our MVP. I think we've known that for quite some time. "I think his work ethic day in and day out [is most impressive]. We get to practice against him, so I think that makes us better. I think it makes us a better defense. He puts a lot of time into it. It's important to him. Going out there every week and then trying to play his absolute best is a priority for him."

"He deserves it," Belichick said. "I have thought for a long time that there is no past or present quarterback I'd rather coach than Tom Brady, and I am more certain of that every year he plays."

Only in one game, a 20-10 win over the Jets, did Brady not throw for a touchdown. He had 12 games with at least three TD passes.

Those are great stats, but they hardly tell the entire story. Brady's leadership skills overshadow just about everything.

"Tom's one of those guys that goes out there and tries to perform and compete every week," center Dan Koppen said. "He gives maximum effort on every play and every game. What he did was outstanding, but I know he wants more than that. That's what you need in your quarterback."

The previous two MVP awards went to running backs LaDainian Tomlinson (2006) and Shaun Alexander (2005). Before that, quarterbacks won four in a row: Manning in 2004 and in 2003, when he shared it with Steve McNair; Rich Gannon in 2002; and Kurt Warner in 2001.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Re: Brady wins NFL MVP with 49 of 50 votes.

Other possibilities: Farve, Tomlinson, Manning, Rothlesburger, and the aforementioned Moss

All had quality seasons in both points and leading winning teams.

Pro
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 455
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

Quote Originally Posted by clones_jer View Post
    Other possibilities: Farve, Tomlinson, Manning, Rothlesburger, and the aforementioned Moss

All had quality seasons in both points and leading winning teams.
    I agree but none had the season that Brady had. Yes they all had great seasons, I forgot Favre but I mean it's gotta go to Brady with what he has done to ALL the opposition this year, granted their coach wanted to run the damn score up on every body every game. But all you have to do is put an Asterisk next to their name for spygate

Speechless
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 541
    Given: 343

Favre dd get that lone vote. He was not forgotten.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by scottie33 View Post
    I agree but none had the season that Brady had. Yes they all had great seasons, I forgot Favre but I mean it's gotta go to Brady with what he has done to ALL the opposition this year, granted their coach wanted to run the damn score up on every body every game. But all you have to do is put an Asterisk next to their name for spygate
    well yeah, MY vote would be Brady ... but there are other semi-viable candidates.

Pro
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,157
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 66

I too heard that Favre got the other vote

Addict
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,705
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 40

.....Brady is the first Patriot selected NFL MVP. He drew 49 of the 50 votes from a nationwide panel of media members who regularly cover the NFL. Green Bay quarterback Brett Favre, the only three-time MVP, got the other vote......

yes, Favre got the other vote.

Don't confuse hope for a plan.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 208

What...no Drew Tate?

Addict Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by HiltonMagic View Post
    yes, Favre got the other vote.
    Why do they even bother giving a vote to Madden? Everyone knows who he is voting for.

"If you can't hear me, it's because I'm in parentheses."

Addict
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,705
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 40

My favorite part:

.....Nothing Promised
    Winning the AP NFL MVP does not guarantee postseason success. Since the turn of the century, no AP NFL MVP has won a Super Bowl, with only three advancing to the title game. The last to win both the MVP and the Super Bowl was Kurt Warner in 1999.

Year MVP Postseason Result
    2007 Tom Brady ?
    2006 LaDainian Tomlinson L, Divisional Rd
    2005 Shaun Alexander L, Super Bowl
    2004 Peyton Manning L, Divisional Rd
    2003 Peyton Manning L, AFC Champ.
    Steve McNair L, Divisional Rd
    2002 Rich Gannon L, Super Bowl
    2001 Kurt Warner L, Super Bowl
    2000 Marshall Faulk L, Wild Card

Don't confuse hope for a plan.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 734
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 22

ya but favre deserved credit too.. yes Brady's season was unheard of.. but when u look at a TRUE MVP.. Favre all the way.. im sure there are alot of qbs u could plug into the Pats Off and get alot of the same results.. now all the records.. maybe not so much.. and im not taking anything away from Brady either.. but without Farve i highly doubt u see the Packers with a first round bye in the playoffs

Iowa State: Anyone who's a true college basketball fan needs to see a game at Hilton Coliseum. Nice is in the DNA of Iowans and the fans here are particularly gracious -- even when the home team loses but gives a great effort, they are appreciative.

ESPN.com picked Hilton Coliseum as the "Hot Arena" in the Big 12...coaches in the league noted that, "regardless of talent, the Cyclones have a home court like no other."

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cmoore_23 View Post
    ya but favre deserved credit too.. yes Brady's season was unheard of.. but when u look at a TRUE MVP.. Favre all the way.. im sure there are alot of qbs u could plug into the Pats Off and get alot of the same results.. now all the records.. maybe not so much.. and im not taking anything away from Brady either.. but without Farve i highly doubt u see the Packers with a first round bye in the playoffs
    now, now, Brady was a pretty decent QB before Moss, Stallworth & Welker got there. 3 time SB champion I believe.

The 2007 verison of the Pats maybe plug-n-play for a QB. But you could say that about the 1999 & 2001 Rams, the 2004-2006 Colts, ... any high powered offense. It's because they make it look easy, but if it was everybody would be doing it.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,395
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 97

Favre had a decent year but not one person in the NFL came within a mile of the stats that Brady put up. Be serious.......

And I am not a Patriots homer either, the only tie I have with Brady is he helped me win the FFL champtionship this year to which I am very appreciative......

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 734
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 22

Quote Originally Posted by clones_jer View Post
    now, now, Brady was a pretty decent QB before Moss, Stallworth & Welker got there. 3 time SB champion I believe.

The 2007 verison of the Pats maybe plug-n-play for a QB. But you could say that about the 1999 & 2001 Rams, the 2004-2006 Colts, ... any high powered offense. It's because they make it look easy, but if it was everybody would be doing it.

like i said i think brady deserved it.. im not saying he didnt.. and i was never takin anything away from the guy.. heck im prob one of the few that actually cheers for them everyonce in a while.. (mainly cuz of hobbs...) im just sayin no1 was as improtant to their team as Favre was this year

Iowa State: Anyone who's a true college basketball fan needs to see a game at Hilton Coliseum. Nice is in the DNA of Iowans and the fans here are particularly gracious -- even when the home team loses but gives a great effort, they are appreciative.

ESPN.com picked Hilton Coliseum as the "Hot Arena" in the Big 12...coaches in the league noted that, "regardless of talent, the Cyclones have a home court like no other."

Speechless
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 155
    Given: 24

Quote Originally Posted by cmoore_23 View Post
    like i said i think brady deserved it.. im not saying he didnt.. and i was never takin anything away from the guy.. heck im prob one of the few that actually cheers for them everyonce in a while.. (mainly cuz of hobbs...) im just sayin no1 was as improtant to their team as Favre was this year
    I also think he deserved it, but at the same time, probably could have won it myself if I had that repertoire at receiver...