Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

The money?????????????

Maybe I'm slow, but can someone please explain to me how more money and better facilities would have made the difference in the following games: Wyoming '96, Colorado - '97, Colorado - '99, KSU - '99, A&M - '01, Alabama - '01, UCONN - '02, Boise State - '02, Northern Illinois - '03, Colorado - '04, Missouri - '04, Baylor - '05, Missouri - '05, Kansas - '05, Nebraska - '05 and Iowa -'06? I'm missing it. Imagine if those games had been WON, do you suppose ISU would have a larger fan base and increased revenue? Doesn't winning games help to generate revenue?

The model that some of you want us to follow is not logical. In all competitive endeavors money follows success. Gates started Microsoft in a garage. The money followed because he proved the value of his approach. You don't expect people to give money to failed or mediocre business endeavors, why should a stadium be packed and coffers full when a football team is mediocre?

URBCLONE

All-Star
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 311
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Re: The money?????????????

Quote Originally Posted by URBCLONE View Post
    Maybe I'm slow, but can someone please explain to me how more money and better facilities would have made the difference in the following games: Wyoming '96, Colorado - '97, Colorado - '99, KSU - '99, A&M - '01, Alabama - '01, UCONN - '02, Boise State - '02, Northern Illinois - '03, Colorado - '04, Missouri - '04, Baylor - '05, Missouri - '05, Kansas - '05, Nebraska - '05 and Iowa -'06? I'm missing it. Imagine if those games had been WON, do you suppose ISU would have a larger fan base and increased revenue? Doesn't winning games help to generate revenue?

The model that some of you want us to follow is not logical. In all competitive endeavors money follows success. Gates started Microsoft in a garage. The money followed because he proved the value of his approach. You don't expect people to give money to failed or mediocre business endeavors, why should a stadium be packed and coffers full when a football team is mediocre?
    You will probably get blasted for this post, but I think it is great. ISU gets what they earn from past success. I think there are some valid reason the budget in absolute dollars is small . . . it is a little skewed by the Hilton situation for one. Iowa seems to do just fine -- their budget is larger for sure (not sure about football budgets specifically), but I don't think their facilities are dramatically better.

All-Star
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 693
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30

Money=good assistants Good assistants=more wins
    I could care less about giant scoreboards like texas and all that other stuff money can buy you.

Rookie
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 183
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

This facilities upgrade won't be a tax on the fans. I don't understand why some "fans" are in such an uproar about it. They are looking for donations (You don't have to donate if you don't want to). The "fans" act like it is a tax they can't avoid.

How can any college run a basketball program in this age without a practice facility? I would venture to say there are 4A and 3A teams in the state with some type of practice facility.

"If it was easy, someone else would have done it already." ISU Director of Athletics Jamie Pollard

Recruit
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 336
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Money=good assistants Good assistants=more wins
    Shouldn't that be Money=GOOD COACHES=more wins?

The head coach has as much, if not more, influence as his assistants because he is the one assembling the team.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 110

Win first. Money will come after that.

All-Star
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 693
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30

Our head coaches arent that far behind in pay scale from other big 12 schools, our assistants are way behind. You cant win in big time football with out a good coaching staff top to bottom.

Pro
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 555
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 9

The model that some of you want us to follow is not logical. In all competitive endeavors money follows success. Gates started Microsoft in a garage. The money followed because he proved the value of his approach. You don't expect people to give money to failed or mediocre business endeavors, why should a stadium be packed and coffers full when a football team is mediocre?[/QUOTE]

If we all follow your logic, we have no chance to win in the long run.

Bottom line is-over time money wins. Do the math

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

ISU has been waiting for the breakout season for several decades now and whenever it does happen, it won't make that much of a difference. The recruiting cycle in football is just too long for one magical season to make the difference. Mac Brown had top five recruiting classes for around five years while losing to OU each year and not winning any championships. Now he has both. What he has always had a Texas and did not at North Carolina was unlimited money and facilities.
    ISU has to pull itself up by the bootstraps one improvement at a time and the only way that is going to happen is by everone who cares about ISU digging deep and contributing much more to the cause. We are 63rd out of 65 BCS schools in funding now and that just has to change. Fortunately, for the first time ever, we have a president and an AD with the vision and willingness to go balls out in the effort to move ISU way up the ladder. If we don't capitalize on their skills and determination, you will see ISU out of the Big 12 and into a lessor conference.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ericlambi View Post
    You will probably get blasted for this post, but I think it is great. ISU gets what they earn from past success. I think there are some valid reason the budget in absolute dollars is small . . . it is a little skewed by the Hilton situation for one. Iowa seems to do just fine -- their budget is larger for sure (not sure about football budgets specifically), but I don't think their facilities are dramatically better.
    The base salaries for the two head coaches at U of I and ISU are as follows:

Kirk Ferentz: 2.7 million

Dan McCarney: 1.1 million

Honestly I don't think we can get a better coach than McCarney for 1.1 million. If ISU got rid of McCarney in the hopes of getting the program to the next level the school needs to be ready to spend over 2 million a year to bring in the type of coach who can recruit and compete with Iowa and the Big 12.

"THE SKIES SHALL RAIN BLOOD AND ALL THE WORLD SHALL QUAKE IN THE SHADOW OF THE CARDINAL AND GOLD!"

Pro
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 229
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

New (read competitive) facilties attract better recruits/coaches; better recruits/coaches lead to more success on the field/court/mat/diamond. New facitlies (read competitive again) costs $$. I'm not saying our coaches are not good, or the best for the program. What I am saying is that even the greatest coach/recruiter in the world can only do so much when it comes to attracting talent to ISU - recruits these days see the facilities/amenities at Texas/Nebraska/Oklahoma and wonder why they would ever come to ISU where the facilties are quite frankly sub-par for a 1-AA program. Say what you want about 'players should want to play here', but that is not reality for the recruits we need to be successful. We are not Notre Dame - there is no tradition for us to point to.

The facilities upgrades are not an option - they are a requirement. We don't have the luxury to 'show it on the field' first. I don't understand what the big deal about it is with some of you people.

Last edited by TheHelgo; 09-24-2006 at 04:50 PM. Reason: addition

Rookie
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 183
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Two other Bix XII coaches make 1.1 million, Guy Morris Baylor, Gary Pinkel Missouri. Neither of them have been near a confrence title game.

Coach, school — Salary

Bob Stoops, Okla. $2.6M
    Mack Brown, Texas $2.5M
    D. Franchione, Tex. A&M $2M
    Bill Callahan, Nebr. $1.5M
    Mike Leach, T. Tech $1.3M
    Dan McCarney, ISU $1.1M
    Guy Morriss, Baylor $1.1M
    Gary Pinkel, Missou. $1.1M
    Dan Hawkins, Colo. $850K
    Mike Gundy, Okla. St. $850K
    Ron Prince, Kan. St. $750K
    Mark Mangino, Kans. $650K

Source: Newspaper reports and Register research

"If it was easy, someone else would have done it already." ISU Director of Athletics Jamie Pollard

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 159

Actually mangino got a raise up to 1.5 million.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 432
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 34

Quote Originally Posted by HGPuck View Post
    Our head coaches arent that far behind in pay scale from other big 12 schools, our assistants are way behind. You cant win in big time football with out a good coaching staff top to bottom.
    I agree that a quality coaching staff top to bottom is needed in order to compete in power conferences.....You know Texas would not have won a national championship had they not hired Gene Chizik away from Auburn. And when was the last time Florida State had a good offense? Oh yeah, that was before Mark Richt left for Georgia.

All-Star
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 882
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by URBCLONE View Post
    Maybe I'm slow, but can someone please explain to me how more money and better facilities would have made the difference in the following games: Wyoming '96, Colorado - '97, Colorado - '99, KSU - '99, A&M - '01, Alabama - '01, UCONN - '02, Boise State - '02, Northern Illinois - '03, Colorado - '04, Missouri - '04, Baylor - '05, Missouri - '05, Kansas - '05, Nebraska - '05 and Iowa -'06?
    I am still waiting for an answer to this question. Did Wyoming have better facilities than ISU? Was it facilities that cost us a 28-7 halftime lead against KSU in '99? Is Boise State recruiting a higher caliber of athlete due to their superior facilities and budget? Maybe Northern Illinois has all of the tradition that ISU lacks?

URBCLONE