Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

What is a "True Fan"

I'm piissed. Really ******, but I'm going to try to do this without swearing too much. This was spawned by the "Pollard: Fans don't appreciate the coaches" thread in which I made my views on this issue known and my post was deleted by the mods for language, probably rightfully.

In that thread I noted that our recent past perfomance is evidence suggesting that we are not going to be great this year. I get jumped on for my attitude by someone who even claims that it is the reason this program has not reached the next level. In addition he contends that such an attitude precludes me from being a true supporter, which I equate with not being a true fan. Several people go on to voice agreement with him.

I call BS. I am really sick (that is restrained language) of those who say that you're not a real or true fan if you don't express some kind of blind optimism or if you criticize an aspect of the program. To rebut some of the contentions of the above post.

1. My attitute, and even the collective attitude of those like me is not going to make any difference in the number of wins we get this year. The only major way this could make an impact is in fundraising, and the benefits that come with having more money.

2. Any reasonable person would take past performance as evidence of probable future performance.

3. Here is what a fan will do. Hope for their team to win. Cheer for their team, the louder the better. Support their team monetarily. Express their support for their team, examples perhaps being the large Cyclones flag I have hanging in the window of my home or the custom license plates on my car.

4. Here is what a fan need not do: abandon their rationality. No rational person honestly believes we are likely to win 9 or more games this year. If you honestly believe that go put some money on it. Very few are going to do that, because you know that I am right. I hope the team proves me wrong, but if forced to wager on it, smart money would be on us not making it happen.

So, what are your thoughts on what it takes to be a "true" or "real" or whatever other modifier you want to add to it fan/supporter/etc?

Pro
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 955
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

Re: What is a "True Fan"

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    I'm piissed. Really ******, but I'm going to try to do this without swearing too much. This was spawned by the "Pollard: Fans don't appreciate the coaches" thread in which I made my views on this issue known and my post was deleted by the mods for language, probably rightfully.

In that thread I noted that our recent past perfomance is evidence suggesting that we are not going to be great this year. I get jumped on for my attitude by someone who even claims that it is the reason this program has not reached the next level. In addition he contends that such an attitude precludes me from being a true supporter, which I equate with not being a true fan. Several people go on to voice agreement with him.

I call BS. I am really sick (that is restrained language) of those who say that you're not a real or true fan if you don't express some kind of blind optimism or if you criticize an aspect of the program. To rebut some of the contentions of the above post.

1. My attitute, and even the collective attitude of those like me is not going to make any difference in the number of wins we get this year. The only major way this could make an impact is in fundraising, and the benefits that come with having more money.

2. Any reasonable person would take past performance as evidence of probable future performance.

3. Here is what a fan will do. Hope for their team to win. Cheer for their team, the louder the better. Support their team monetarily. Express their support for their team, examples perhaps being the large Cyclones flag I have hanging in the window of my home or the custom license plates on my car.

4. Here is what a fan need not do: abandon their rationality. No rational person honestly believes we are likely to win 9 or more games this year. If you honestly believe that go put some money on it. Very few are going to do that, because you know that I am right. I hope the team proves me wrong, but if forced to wager on it, smart money would be on us not making it happen.

So, what are your thoughts on what it takes to be a "true" or "real" or whatever other modifier you want to add to it fan/supporter/etc?
    That person that you were refering to was me and I was equally ****** when I read that post that precluded my response that obviously upset you. The comments I made about you not being a true supporter of the program were not necessary, I apologize for that comment. And in direct response to #4 on your list, I am both a very rational and reasonable person and I do believe that we can an opportunity to win 9 games this year. I do believe that that past history is a pessimist way of predicting future success. Call me an optimist or whatever you want to, but I am not going to simply say that we can't still have an outstanding season just because we have lost 2 road games against ranked opponents. It is completely your poragative to be a pessimist for whatever reasons you want to, invariably there are people that are going to be pessimistic no matter the circumstances. I am not saying that your attitude has a direct impact on the outcome of anything. But I would venture to guess that if we were consistantly winning 9 or 10 games a year, you might be inclined to contribute more whether that be monetary or something else. Have you ever looked at it the other way, maybe it is going to take more contribution (and again I am not simply talking monetary) from everyone, including positive outlook for us to get to that point? There are a lot of people on this board that don't like DMAC for whatever reason. IMO that is pretty ****** considering what he has done for this program but that is neither here nor there. Don't like him that's fine, hell there is people asking for Larry Cockers job in Miami and he won them a freakin National Championship. I understand the what have you done for me lately mentality but here is what really upsets me, you and many others on this board and around Cyclone Nation constantly ***** and moan and complain and have a negative attitude toward DMAC and the coaching staff. As I mentioned on a different thread, the coaching staff had nothing and I mean absolutely nothing to do with that lose yesterday. The coaches put the players in the right position all day and they just didn't make plays, period. Then you are going to say that it still ultimately the coaches fault because they should teach better doing practice or maybe recruit better players that will make the plays. I have been at practice and very close to the program and that coaching staff teaches fundamental better than most but if the players don't carry that over to game day it is not the fault of the coaches, the coaches can't make tackles and keep stupid penalties from happening. They are college age kids and professionals that get payed millions of dollars a year make the same mistakes. And recruiting; we are recruiting better and better talent every year and kids are choosing ISU over other elite schools. This getting really long but my point is: Is DMac the long term answer, I don't know. I know that he is our coach right now, he has a wealth of talent, they are getting better every week, they have only lost two games and damnit I am going to support them. Not expect them to fall on their face (just because that is what has happened in the past). You may be right that your attitude doesn't directly effect anything but surely indirectly effects a lot. The attitude and support of the fan base is what gets programs over the hump and to the next level. Be pessimistic, be negative and bring everyone else in with you that way you can take the easy way out when they fall short of your expectations and you can say I told you so. Me, I am going to support the team and the coaches and be opptimistic. But I guess everyone has their own way of showing SUPPORT.