Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 18

My thoughts on the "new" gameplan

I really like the uptempo pace of the recent games. I don't think it's jsut the quality of our opponents, it just seems to fit the makeup of this team. I think McDermott has let go of the reins of the team, a little. The pace has quickened, and the players really seem to enjoy it.

Also, another thing I noticed tonight. Rahshon seemed to be taking control during the middle of a 2 shot free throw sequence. He brought everyone together to discuss the play. The really noticable thing about this was McDermott. He just observed it, and didn't have any reaction whatsover. That seems to indicate that Rahshon is taking a bit more of a lead in the running of the team on the floor. That is a very good sign, and I wonder if it ties in with the pace of the game changes we are witnessing.

Addict Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Re: My thoughts on the "new" gameplan

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal2001 View Post

Also, another thing I noticed tonight. Rahshon seemed to be taking control during the middle of a 2 shot free throw sequence. He brought everyone together to discuss the play. The really noticable thing about this was McDermott. He just observed it, and didn't have any reaction whatsover. That seems to indicate that Rahshon is taking a bit more of a lead in the running of the team on the floor. That is a very good sign, and I wonder if it ties in with the pace of the game changes we are witnessing.
    While I'm not knocking your post, I don't think the Rashon thing is anything new. I've seen him doing this for a while. It's not such a strange thing for the leader on the team to talk to the players during a free throw.

"If you can't hear me, it's because I'm in parentheses."

Rookie
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 488
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I think our opponents have a lot to do with the tempo upgrade. I expect they won't want to run with the Kansas, Texas, A&Ms of the conference.

"If it was easy, someone else would have done it already." ISU Director of Athletics Jamie Pollard

Starter
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 699
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

2 Things:

1st, the uptempo game is not necessarily by design, it is a result of the lower quality opponents AND the lack of turnovers which has been just short of AMAZING.

2nd, I'm suprised that you just noticed the thing with Rahshon and I must say that what I have witnessed is EXTREMELY UNUSUAL. In fact I might even say that it is kinda weird. The rapport between Mac and Rahshon is nothing short of amazing and the sort of trust that Mac has put in Rahashon is extremely rare at the college level. Yes, it is seen in the pro game a lot more but that is entirely different. Mac sees in Rahshon essentially another coach on the floor and lets him act as such. I have witnessed this numerous times. He treats Rahashon as a peer not just another player.

While this may unusual, I will not say that it is not deserved nor unprecidented. I witnessed similiar behavior towards Danny Manning when he was at KU (and it was deserved there as well). As many, many, many people here have commented, Rahashon is a MAN as in an adult and wise beyond his years. He is a leader and more. Mac has recognized him as thus and has given him the trust and respect he deserves, IMO.

Finally, given the rapport between the two I would not be surprised to see Rahshon on the coaching staff in years to come (I believe he will play at the next level; maybe the NBA if he can improve his handle, definitely overseas where he would be a star)

RB

Addict Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rickybaby View Post

2nd, I'm suprised that you just noticed the thing with Rahshon and I must say that what I have witnessed is EXTREMELY UNUSUAL. In fact I might even say that it is kinda weird. The rapport between Mac and Rahshon is nothing short of amazing and the sort of trust that Mac has put in Rahashon is extremely rare at the college level. Yes, it is seen in the pro game a lot more but that is entirely different. Mac sees in Rahshon essentially another coach on the floor and lets him act as such. I have witnessed this numerous times. He treats Rahashon as a peer not just another player.

RB
    Maybe you guys are talking about something completely different, but almost always during free throws a team leader gathers the team around him and they have a quick chat. While I applaud Rashon for this, I don't see this as something that's jaw dropping or AMAZING.

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 691
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

We got a "new" gameplan?? I highly doubt that, I think we are playing to the speed of the other team, however, I don't think Mac has just told his team were going to run and gun offense and dump our 150 plays.

Pro
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 648
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 18

Quote Originally Posted by CTAClone View Post
    Maybe you guys are talking about something completely different, but almost always during free throws a team leader gathers the team around him and they have a quick chat. While I applaud Rashon for this, I don't see this as something that's jaw dropping or AMAZING.
    I am referring to a change in the way things are done during a Cyclone home basketball game. Every game, during a free throw, the guards confer with McDermott, and relay that conference to the other players on the floor. Tonight, that changed. McDermott wasn't giving the orders, Rahshon was.

Just an opinion from someone who has seen every home game this season at Hilton. I thought that might be an important development, and a good one, at that.

Addict Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

I am referring to a change in the way things are done during a Cyclone home basketball game. Every game, during a free throw, the guards confer with McDermott, and relay that conference to the other players on the floor. Tonight, that changed. McDermott wasn't giving the orders, Rahshon was.

Just an opinion from someone who has seen every home game this season at Hilton. I thought that might be an important development, and a good one, at that.
    Thanks for the clarifacation, I understand what you are saying now. The conference of players during free throws didn't seem like such a big deal to me, but if it's a departure of how McDermott was doing it in the past, I can see the enthusiasm in it.

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 691
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Very good observations!!! He is putting a bunch of trust into Rahshon to lead out there and that is nice to know!! Rahshon has been through the big 12 conf. play 3 times already and he knows better than anyone what it needs to be a leader and what it takes to win in this conference.

Starter
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 412
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

The "new" gameplan is nothing more than havind 8-10 healthy bodies that finally heve a chance to practice together. Plus the fact that 3-4 newcomers have been able to adjust to the faster pace of Div I Bball.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 89.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,058
    Given: 558

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgeezer View Post
    The "new" gameplan is nothing more than havind 8-10 healthy bodies that finally heve a chance to practice together. Plus the fact that 3-4 newcomers have been able to adjust to the faster pace of Div I Bball.
    That's my impression as well. It's hard to run when you have the training wheels on. It's also a lot easier to play smoothly and quickly when you are able to do less thinking and more reacting.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgeezer View Post
    Bingo. Plus, we haven't been playing the toughest teams of late.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

Half of it is just Jiri and Wes being healthy. Jiri HAD to have been still hurting earlier this year, because the Hubalek we have seen lately is the one we fell in love with during the second half of last year.

I wish we could utilize Wes a bit more rebounding, but he's getting better every game.