Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 0

Clemons, Pettitte, and ex-trainer to testify in hearing

Very interesting. This mitchell report has turned into a debacle for Major league baseball and it is all the newscasts are going to talk about during the entire 2008 season. it is going to get very old.

WASHINGTON -- Roger Clemens and Andy Pettitte were asked Friday to testify before a congressional committee on Jan. 16, along with their former trainer, Brian McNamee.

Oversight Committee 'Invitation'

The following was released by the House Oversight Committee, chaired by California's Henry A. Waxman:

WASHINGTON, DC -- The House Oversight Committee announced today it will hold a hearing on Wednesday, January 16, 2008, to obtain additional information about the Report to the Commissioner of Baseball of an Independent Investigation into the Illegal Use of Steroids and Other Performance Enhancing Substances by Players in Major League Baseball, known as the "Mitchell Report."

Witnesses will include:

Mr. Brian McNamee
    Mr. Kirk Radomski
    Mr. Andy Pettitte
    Mr. Chuck Knoblauch
    Mr. Roger Clemens

Where: 2154 Rayburn House Office Building

When: 10 a.m. on Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Also invited to appear before the House Oversight Committee were former New York Mets clubhouse attendant Kirk Radomski, whose allegations were a central part of last month's Mitchell report on doping in baseball. Former All-Star second baseman Chuck Knoblauch also was asked to speak to the panel.

"It could be a circus with players, true," the committee's Republican staff director, David Marin, said in a telephone interview.

The decision to seek testimony from Clemens and others was generated, at least in part, by denials from the seven-time Cy Young Award winner.

"Mr. Clemens has raised concerns about the accuracy of the Mitchell report," Phil Schiliro, the chief of staff to Committee Chairman Henry Waxman, a Democrat from California, told 1050 ESPN New York.

Said Marin: "We're not into 'gotcha.' This is a pretty thorough and comprehensive report from Senator Mitchell. Members of Congress think it's important to speak to the findings and recommendations. And if there are high-profile players who are taking shots at that report, then we need to hear from them, too."

Marin said it was too soon to talk about whether any of the witnesses would receive immunity for their testimony. At the March 2005 hearings -- during which Mark McGwire said he was not present to talk about the past -- the players were not given immunity.

Barry Bonds once again will be notably absent from the hearings. The Department of Justice requested the committee not call the Giants slugger in 2005 because he was under investigation for perjury. Two months ago, the all-time home run leader was charged with four counts of perjury and one count of obstruction of justice related to grand jury testimony in which he said he had never knowingly taken steroids or performance-enhancing drugs. He has pleaded not guilty.

Marin said that the hearings are effectively designed to be a repeat of 2005, when the sport was under heavy scrutiny amid a stream of steroid revelations.

"[Virginia Republican Tom] Davis' position is this: This was a high-profile report. It cast a tremendous cloud over Major League Baseball," Marin said. "The fact that a player of the stature of Roger Clemens disputed a critical finding in that report concerns Davis. That's why he thinks Clemens deserves a chance to speak further before Congress and the American people. Only then can Congress determine how much credibility to give to the report."

Asked if the fact that Clemens and others would be required to testify under oath was critical to the process, Marin said, "That's a question goes without saying. Under oath is under oath."

On Jan. 15, the committee is to hear testimony from baseball commissioner Bud Selig, union leader Donald Fehr and former Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell.

"The original hearing was called to examine the Mitchell recommendations and findings. The committee has decided to hold a second day of hearings for the very same reason -- to invite people with varying perspectives on the Mitchell report to shed further light on it," Marin said.

A Major League Baseball source told ESPN's T.J. Quinn that commissioner Bud Selig's office was not aware that players would be called until a news release went out Friday, but Selig had received a letter a while ago asking for him to attend.

McNamee told Mitchell he had injected Clemens with steroids and human growth hormone during the 1998, 2000 and 2001 seasons. Clemens, in an interview to be broadcast by CBS's "60 Minutes" on Sunday, said McNamee injected him with vitamins and painkillers but not performance-enhancing drugs.

Pettitte admitted McNamee injected him with HGH twice while the pitcher was recovering from an injury.

In Mitchell's report, McNamee says he also personally injected Knoblauch with performance-enhancing drugs. McNamee took enough pride in his role in their use that, according to the report, "Occasionally McNamee acknowledged good performances by Knoblauch or Clemens by 'dropping hints,' such as, 'He's on the program now.' "

Radomski pleaded guilty in April to federal felony charges of distributing steroids and laundering money, and he is scheduled to be sentenced Feb. 8.

Although none of the people asked to testify under oath Jan. 16 had agreed to appear as of late Friday afternoon, the committee's announcement listed Clemens and others under the heading, "Witnesses will include."

Said Marin: "We always presume that invited witnesses will appear."

Clemens' attorney, Rusty Hardin, said in a statement: "We welcome Chairman Waxman and the Committee's interest in this very serious matter. Roger is willing to answer questions, including those posed to him while under oath. We hope to determine shortly if schedules and other commitments can accommodate the committee on that date."

Clemens is listed as a celebrity expected to play in the Bob Hope Chrysler Golf Classic in Palm Springs, Calif., the day of the hearing. The tournament is set from Jan. 16-20.

An e-mail to McNamee's attorney and a phone call to Radomski's lawyer were not immediately returned.

During the March 2005 hearing that the panel convened, Sammy Sosa said he had never knowingly used illegal performance-enhancing drugs. Rafael Palmeiro denied using drugs but tested positive later that year for a steroid.

The leaders of the committee, Waxman and Davis, were among several members of the House and Senate who sponsored legislation in 2005, proposing to mandate stronger steroid testing and penalties for baseball and other U.S. professional sports leagues.

Another committee has scheduled a Jan. 23 hearing on the Mitchell report.

Addict
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 287
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Re: Clemons, Pettitte, and ex-trainer to testify in hearing

This should be interesting to say the least. It sounds like a hearing to investigate the investigation. The Mitchell report was an eye opener I think for MLB and other pro sports. Sure, this has been discussed for years, but never really addressed till now. Of course, these conclusions where based on interviews, and hear-say, and unfortunately has no real proof if SOME of these players did anything.

Now you launch a hearing headed by the OVERSIGHT committee to invesitigate these alligations. Seems fitting doesn't it!

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 358
    Given: 45

I heard that last night, things are gonna get messy.

btw, on an off topic, where does congress get the right to do this sort of thing? Don't they have a country to run and more important things to do than to figure out if Roger took roids? I mean how does this effect the running of this country.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Addict
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 287
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Better be careful or I might have to move this to the Political section!

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Speechless
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,893
    Given: 899

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    I heard that last night, things are gonna get messy.

btw, on an off topic, where does congress get the right to do this sort of thing? Don't they have a country to run and more important things to do than to figure out if Roger took roids? I mean how does this effect the running of this country.
    Things like this are great for giving the impression that they are actually doing something useful.

Addict
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Doesn't Baseball have an antitrust exemption? I think they always hold that over the MLB's head when topics like this comes up.

Pro
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 290
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Granted I've never met Clemons but what little respect I had for him as an athlete after the whole multi-retirement, play when/where I want contracts with the Astros/Yankees has certainly left. I didn't think the contracts he signed after his "retirements" set a good precedent for baseball and obviously he's not helping it out much now either.

As good as he was, it's time for him (and a lot of the stars of that era) to go away. Time for the new stars to set this game right again.

Addict
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

He did it, everyone knows he did it, I don't know why these guys constantly lie and lie and lie until they get caught and then they say OHHHH, you meant THOSE steroids?? Just say you did it, say you regret it, say it was a mistake, move on.

It's Bushbama!

2 time Chupacabra of Humor Award Recipient

Quote Originally Posted by joefrog
    I will admit, I am to blame in sometimes making mountains out of molehills.

Addict
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 446
    Given: 971

I want to be a Congressman... do they just talk about sports issues all day?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 587
    Given: 56

If they want to send Barry Bonds to jail they should make room for Roger Clemens. Personally I think they should just forget about this witch hunt. They have a policy in place now and should just worry about enforcing it. There was no policy back then. Let it go. Those that want to dismiss all their records should realize that pitchers were on steroids and batters were on steroids. Sounds like a level playing field to me.

When do we throw Gaylord Perry out of the Hall of Fame. The guy made a great career out of throwing an illegal pitch. He broke the rules. Throw him out.

Pro
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 257
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 89
    Given: 134

Good 'ole Gaylord would have probably told Congress-- "hell, yes, I threw a lot of spitters". Good 'ole Roger will lie and actually think people will believe his story of taking vitamins in the rear. His head is too big for his own good, and it's not all on the roids.

Clone to the Bone with the up and coming IOWA STATE.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 587
    Given: 56

If Gaylord admitted throwing spitters then Selig should throw him out of the Hall of Fame, if he were consistent.

Pro
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 257
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 89
    Given: 134

Oh, I agree with your point Stormin, I just don't want to see Roger coming off as some victim as he claims innocence all the way out of the hearing.

Clone to the Bone with the up and coming IOWA STATE.

Addict
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

He's apparently taking the Rafael Palmeiro defense now that it was "B-12" that McNamee injected him with...riiiiiighhhtt. Worked out well for Palmeiro...wait...

It's Bushbama!

2 time Chupacabra of Humor Award Recipient

Quote Originally Posted by joefrog
    I will admit, I am to blame in sometimes making mountains out of molehills.

Addict
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 995
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 167

Quote Originally Posted by Wx4Cy View Post
    Granted I've never met Clemons but what little respect I had for him as an athlete after the whole multi-retirement, play when/where I want contracts with the Astros/Yankees has certainly left. I didn't think the contracts he signed after his "retirements" set a good precedent for baseball and obviously he's not helping it out much now either.

As good as he was, it's time for him (and a lot of the stars of that era) to go away. Time for the new stars to set this game right again.
    WX - I totally agree. His contract with the Astros made him out to be a bigger Prima Donna than Bonds. But I could stand Clemens ever since he threw a beaner at the head of Piazza

"We are first and foremost an educational institution that values integrity, honesty and treating others with fairness and respect".

-ISU President Gregory Geoffroy; circa May 2003.