Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 59

Thread: hype

  1. #16
    Pro
    Points: 37,091, Level: 59
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 759
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    ISUCY23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,316
    Points
    37,091
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 197
    Given: 93

    Re: hype

    Quote Originally Posted by mtowncyclone13 View Post
    How is this any different than football? NDSU is the top FCS school by the widest of margins.
    Because basketball has more parity. Plus, our football program is on life support.



  2. #17
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 4,397, Level: 19
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 253
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    IbSvU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    304
    Points
    4,397
    Level
    19
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 10

    Re: hype

    Quote Originally Posted by mtowncyclone13 View Post
    How is this any different than football? NDSU is the top FCS school by the widest of margins.
    Cuz the basketball team doesn't suck balls



  3. #18
    Pro
    Points: 39,779, Level: 61
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 571
    Overall activity: 80.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered25000 Experience Points
    roundball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,410
    Points
    39,779
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,633
    Given: 994

    Re: hype

    Quote Originally Posted by mtowncyclone13 View Post
    How is this any different than football? NDSU is the top FCS school by the widest of margins.
    Mid-majors knock off major schools all the time in basketball. Good major schools. There's a lot more parity in basketball.

    FCS schools beating FBS schools? Not so much. Most "Power 5" conferences have won 95-99% of their games against FCS opponents.



  4. #19
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 45,331, Level: 65
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 219
    Overall activity: 83.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registeredOverdrive
    CoKane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,884
    Points
    45,331
    Level
    65
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 745
    Given: 1,238

    Re: hype

    The difference is that I'd expect the basketball team to make adjustments and play hard in the second half if we went in down by 3. The football team didn't make any changes at all and quit.



  5. #20
    Addict
    Points: 94,359, Level: 95
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 691
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Cyclonesince78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    6,886
    Points
    94,359
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,715
    Given: 1,936

    Re: hype

    Quote Originally Posted by mtowncyclone13 View Post
    With all the hype we've been getting what would the meltdown look like if we lost to Georgia State? Would an NDSU-type meltdown ensue?
    Not even remotely close, we'll just blame the loss on Clayton Custer or Tsalm.


    This is going to be one of the this is one of the biggest sporting spectacles in the history of sports - Lebron

  6. #21
    Speechless
    Points: 405,957, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 80.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    60,509
    Points
    405,957
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 789
    Given: 519

    Re: hype

    Quote Originally Posted by CoKane View Post
    The difference is that I'd expect the basketball team to make adjustments and play hard in the second half if we went in down by 3. The football team didn't make any changes at all and quit.
    OUT OF GAS.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  7. #22
    Chile Mac is Back!
    Points: 309,257, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    LindenCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    23,806
    Points
    309,257
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 673
    Given: 1,559

    Re: hype

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclonenation5 View Post
    Fred has earned my trust by improving the team through the season and peaking in March. CPR has not proved that he can do that.
    Exactly. This is not a traditionally or even recently good football team losing in an upset. It is another symptom of a losing pattern. The bball team could lose to a horrible team and still have a great season (remember losing to Texas Tech a couple years ago?).



  8. #23
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 45,331, Level: 65
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 219
    Overall activity: 83.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registeredOverdrive
    CoKane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,884
    Points
    45,331
    Level
    65
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 745
    Given: 1,238

    Re: hype

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    OUT OF GAS.
    Who, you or the football team?



  9. #24
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 45,331, Level: 65
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 219
    Overall activity: 83.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registeredOverdrive
    CoKane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,884
    Points
    45,331
    Level
    65
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 745
    Given: 1,238

    Re: hype

    Quote Originally Posted by IbSvU View Post
    Cuz the basketball team doesn't suck balls
    Lol. This summed up all most all the responses so far.



  10. #25
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 51,130, Level: 69
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    atlantacyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Fontvieille Monaco
    Posts
    4,344
    Points
    51,130
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100
    Given: 22

    Re: hype

    I must admit that I thought these days were over when CPR was hired.



  11. #26
    Rookie
    Points: 4,043, Level: 18
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 207
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    cyclonenation5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    397
    Points
    4,043
    Level
    18
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 45

    Re: hype

    Quote Originally Posted by LindenCy View Post
    Exactly. This is not a traditionally or even recently good football team losing in an upset. It is another symptom of a losing pattern. The bball team could lose to a horrible team and still have a great season (remember losing to Texas Tech a couple years ago?).
    Unfortunately I do remember that. Aaaaaaand the early season Drake loss with Royce's squad.



  12. #27
    All-Star
    Points: 34,678, Level: 57
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 772
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Sigmapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,070
    Points
    34,678
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 186
    Given: 19

    Re: hype

    I think most people covered the reasons why losing to GSU, while disappointing, isn't crippling:

    -basketball rosters are smaller (swinging on 1-2 men oftentimes) and the talent differential between mid-major teams high-major teams is not that different... in a word, if you were to rank across all Division I, you'd have a ton of mixing between MM and HM (even power conference) teams with basketball, but very little of it in football (NDSU>ISU, though, obviously)

    -the basketball season is longer and has more intermediate goals... losing to GSU at home early in the season would suck (defend the home court, I'd like to see us go undefeated in Hilton again one of these years) and count as a "bad loss" to the selection committee, but in the end that's the difference between a #4 and a #5... it matters, but it's not crippling, you still have to win your games come March

    -Fred has to navigate 10 (if not 15 with the tomato cans in the conference like TCU and TTU) of these "gimme" wins a season, which means more chances to slip up... he didn't last year (save maybe WVU on the road, but even that wasn't a "bad loss" on the whole, just a badly played game), but several came really damn close (UNI, Boise State), so some of them are going to get us eventually no matter what we do

    -"not making excuses," but we might be down one starter/one rotational player or two rotational players (depending on if Nader becomes a full-time starter or not) at that point, which will affect how we play and put more pressure on the "top tier" guys in Niang, BDJ, Hogue, and Morris without the extra support and ask more of role players and freshmen very early into their careers (most likely Naz, freshman Custer and Tsalm)*

    *I figure our lineup to star the year will be Morris/Long/BDJ/Hogue/Niang... Thomas/Nader/McKay unavailable for various reasons, which means our bench at the start of the season is Custer/SDW/Edozie/Tsalm, which could lead to some roughness if we get in a dogfight or have foul trouble and have to rely on a lot of minutes from guys without much experience or quite as much talent as our normal rotation would offer

    -like everybody else said, track record--Fred has made the postseason three years in a row, won the conference tournament, beat Top 10 teams repeatedly, always plays tough (save WVU last year, the odd fluke), brings in stars, develops players (i.e. Ejim [raw talent as a freshman that built into a conference player of the year], Naz [huge freshman/sophomore leap, hopefully more to come]), wins big games, and (honestly, no homer here) had a team last year with enough talent, chemistry, and in position to make a national title run--granted, many more teams in basketball can say that percentage-wise as can football programs, but there's a clear difference

    I fully expect us to lose 2-3 games in non-con next year--we have about the same schedule, if not an easier one, but there's no way we can dodge so many bullets again. Some teams will get us. That's just the way it is. I'm not going to meltdown on Fred when it happens.



  13. #28
    Pro
    Points: 46,536, Level: 66
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 414
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    IowaStateClones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,231
    Points
    46,536
    Level
    66
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 212
    Given: 73

    Re: hype

    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmapolis View Post
    I think most people covered the reasons why losing to GSU, while disappointing, isn't crippling:

    -basketball rosters are smaller (swinging on 1-2 men oftentimes) and the talent differential between mid-major teams high-major teams is not that different... in a word, if you were to rank across all Division I, you'd have a ton of mixing between MM and HM (even power conference) teams with basketball, but very little of it in football (NDSU>ISU, though, obviously)

    -the basketball season is longer and has more intermediate goals... losing to GSU at home early in the season would suck (defend the home court, I'd like to see us go undefeated in Hilton again one of these years) and count as a "bad loss" to the selection committee, but in the end that's the difference between a #4 and a #5... it matters, but it's not crippling, you still have to win your games come March

    -Fred has to navigate 10 (if not 15 with the tomato cans in the conference like TCU and TTU) of these "gimme" wins a season, which means more chances to slip up... he didn't last year (save maybe WVU on the road, but even that wasn't a "bad loss" on the whole, just a badly played game), but several came really damn close (UNI, Boise State), so some of them are going to get us eventually no matter what we do

    -"not making excuses," but we might be down one starter/one rotational player or two rotational players (depending on if Nader becomes a full-time starter or not) at that point, which will affect how we play and put more pressure on the "top tier" guys in Niang, BDJ, Hogue, and Morris without the extra support and ask more of role players and freshmen very early into their careers (most likely Naz, freshman Custer and Tsalm)*

    *I figure our lineup to star the year will be Morris/Long/BDJ/Hogue/Niang... Thomas/Nader/McKay unavailable for various reasons, which means our bench at the start of the season is Custer/SDW/Edozie/Tsalm, which could lead to some roughness if we get in a dogfight or have foul trouble and have to rely on a lot of minutes from guys without much experience or quite as much talent as our normal rotation would offer

    -like everybody else said, track record--Fred has made the postseason three years in a row, won the conference tournament, beat Top 10 teams repeatedly, always plays tough (save WVU last year, the odd fluke), brings in stars, develops players (i.e. Ejim [raw talent as a freshman that built into a conference player of the year], Naz [huge freshman/sophomore leap, hopefully more to come]), wins big games, and (honestly, no homer here) had a team last year with enough talent, chemistry, and in position to make a national title run--granted, many more teams in basketball can say that percentage-wise as can football programs, but there's a clear difference

    I fully expect us to lose 2-3 games in non-con next year--we have about the same schedule, if not an easier one, but there's no way we can dodge so many bullets again. Some teams will get us. That's just the way it is. I'm not going to meltdown on Fred when it happens.
    Your effort on that post is embarrassing.



  14. #29
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 45,331, Level: 65
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 219
    Overall activity: 83.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registeredOverdrive
    CoKane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,884
    Points
    45,331
    Level
    65
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 745
    Given: 1,238

    Re: hype

    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmapolis View Post
    I think most people covered the reasons why losing to GSU, while disappointing, isn't crippling:

    -basketball rosters are smaller (swinging on 1-2 men oftentimes) and the talent differential between mid-major teams high-major teams is not that different... in a word, if you were to rank across all Division I, you'd have a ton of mixing between MM and HM (even power conference) teams with basketball, but very little of it in football (NDSU>ISU, though, obviously)

    -the basketball season is longer and has more intermediate goals... losing to GSU at home early in the season would suck (defend the home court, I'd like to see us go undefeated in Hilton again one of these years) and count as a "bad loss" to the selection committee, but in the end that's the difference between a #4 and a #5... it matters, but it's not crippling, you still have to win your games come March

    -Fred has to navigate 10 (if not 15 with the tomato cans in the conference like TCU and TTU) of these "gimme" wins a season, which means more chances to slip up... he didn't last year (save maybe WVU on the road, but even that wasn't a "bad loss" on the whole, just a badly played game), but several came really damn close (UNI, Boise State), so some of them are going to get us eventually no matter what we do

    -"not making excuses," but we might be down one starter/one rotational player or two rotational players (depending on if Nader becomes a full-time starter or not) at that point, which will affect how we play and put more pressure on the "top tier" guys in Niang, BDJ, Hogue, and Morris without the extra support and ask more of role players and freshmen very early into their careers (most likely Naz, freshman Custer and Tsalm)*

    *I figure our lineup to star the year will be Morris/Long/BDJ/Hogue/Niang... Thomas/Nader/McKay unavailable for various reasons, which means our bench at the start of the season is Custer/SDW/Edozie/Tsalm, which could lead to some roughness if we get in a dogfight or have foul trouble and have to rely on a lot of minutes from guys without much experience or quite as much talent as our normal rotation would offer

    -like everybody else said, track record--Fred has made the postseason three years in a row, won the conference tournament, beat Top 10 teams repeatedly, always plays tough (save WVU last year, the odd fluke), brings in stars, develops players (i.e. Ejim [raw talent as a freshman that built into a conference player of the year], Naz [huge freshman/sophomore leap, hopefully more to come]), wins big games, and (honestly, no homer here) had a team last year with enough talent, chemistry, and in position to make a national title run--granted, many more teams in basketball can say that percentage-wise as can football programs, but there's a clear difference

    I fully expect us to lose 2-3 games in non-con next year--we have about the same schedule, if not an easier one, but there's no way we can dodge so many bullets again. Some teams will get us. That's just the way it is. I'm not going to meltdown on Fred when it happens.
    That is a scary strong starting line up. The bench scares me a little though for a different reason.


    Last edited by CoKane; 08-31-2014 at 02:33 AM.

  15. #30
    Speechless
    Points: 258,897, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    16,070
    Points
    258,897
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 789
    Given: 688

    Re: hype

    Georgia State has the same number of scholarships as ISU.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FS1
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. West Virginia
  • November 29, 2014
  • 11:00 AM