Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 112

Re: Vikings New QB???

I think QBs either have pocket awareness, or they don't. After watching Jackson, admittedly for only 15 games or so, he doesn't. Those jump passes for interceptions should have coached out him by now, but he keeps regressing back to those mistakes when we are behind and under pressure. Ala, Culpepper. And Culpepper was three times the talent.

Clone to the Bone with the up and coming IOWA STATE.

Starter
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 473
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 11

I think you've got to cut Tarvaris a little bit of a break. There is not legitimate #1 receiver on this team, when journeyman slot receiver like Bobby Wade is your top receiver, you've got real problems.

The best and only outside speed guy, Troy Williamson, couldn't catch a cold at a child care center. Tight end Vianthe Shiancoe, hasn't been able to get open, and has dropped passes when he did, and i'll personally be disappointed if he's on the roster next year. Their best red-zone receiver is a rookie (Sidney Rice), and has been injured for a lot of the year. Robert Ferguson is a re-tread that really doesn't have any future in the NFL (i'm certain he won't be on the Viking roster next year). And their offensive line, while well-equipped to run block, has looked very uncomfortable in zone blocking for pass protection, all year long.

T Jackson has some growing up to do...i.e. less turnovers and better at reading/looking off defensive backs. But he's got a laser arm, good legs, decent vision, and will almost certainly be back next year as the starter.

MN will probably pick a journey-man backup QB next year, my guess would be someone like Chad Pennington. A guy that would compete for the starting spot, but unlike Donovan McNabb, wouldn't be promised the spot from the point of signing.

Rookie
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 278
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

It's important whoever they pick up in the draft or in free agency is able to compete for the starting job.....i.e. not stiffs like Bollinger and Holcomb where Jackson isn't forced to improve immensely. I don't see the Vikes giving up a first rounder for someone like McNabb or Derek Anderson. How bout Sage?

I agree that a certain 6'5" Cyclone WR would look pretty good in purple. Anyone know how to contact Scott Studwell to alert him to go after our boy? I can hear Paul Allen already: "Jackson fades to fire, he's got Blythe. fade. corner. endzone. caught......TOUCHDOOOOOWN!"

Pro
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,170
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by CTTB78 View Post
    We talked about speed being important with our recruits, but it's not all cracked up to what some think it is. The only reason Troy ever got drafted No. 1 was because of his great combine. What did have, like a 4.28?
    If he does get cut, I agree he might not even stay in the NFL.
    Exactly.....i always wonder about the combine superheros....he's one of them.....and when you look at his success in college, not that great.....#7 picks need to work out...this one didnt.....cut your losses.....

You know we should look at one thing....Childress has a complicated system, and TJack only started 16 games in his career.....i wouldnt jump ship yet....he's got ability....But, if you base it on this year, name Minnesotas leading receiver......didnt think so....now its either the qb or the wr may not be that good and ol stone hands surely dont help either.....

you get him a true receiver he can rely on and see what happens....besides, with big12 product ap in the backfield, he better expect they will see 8 in the box until TJack burns them out of that defense.....

Never expected AP to do what he's done,,,,very impressive especially when you consider that everyone is playing the run.....He's special.....

My wife (huge vikes Fan) wanted to know if my boyz would trade brad johnson back, she said they would be in the playoffs with Brad......

Besides the NFL rumor mill has D Mcnabb out of philly if you can believe it, and the locations on the top of his list are Minnesota, Chicago and then Miami.....

Addict
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 923
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 4

Quarterbacks don't get dumped after their second year in the league. Next year will be a big year for him, though.

Troy Williamson being as bad as he isd is very perplexing. How could he have had such a good college career, and now he literally can't catch the ball?

Pro
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 630
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 86
    Given: 109

Quote Originally Posted by cys_av8r View Post
    The crew doing the game yesterday was having an uncomfortable amount of man love for Tavaris...
    Almost as funny as those announcers claiming "Jackson had turned a corner" because of those 2 late game TD drives was sensing their disappointment because AP didn't play/do as well as they would have liked. You could tell they had an entire essay written on the greatness of AP but had to trash it when he had a sub-par game.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 478
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by mwitt View Post

Troy Williamson being as bad as he isd is very perplexing. How could he have had such a good college career, and now he literally can't catch the ball?
    T-Will's was not that much of a factor in college - his stats for his last year were less than 50 catches and 900 yds. He was a stretch for a #7 overall pick for anyone except the idiots running the draft board for the McCombs-Tice regime.

At least the draft selections have improved dramatically with the Ziggy-Childress team.

Addict
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,735
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 204
    Given: 994

I am soooo tired of Williamson dropping passes. He should donate his game check after yeaterday. What a waste. Who cares if he's fast if he can't catch. Great draft choice.

Are you a member?

Addict
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 923
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    T-Will's was not that much of a factor in college - his stats for his last year were less than 50 catches and 900 yds.
    I would consider 18+ yards per reception as a factor.

Rookie
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 278
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    T-Will's was not that much of a factor in college - his stats for his last year were less than 50 catches and 900 yds. He was a stretch for a #7 overall pick for anyone except the idiots running the draft board for the McCombs-Tice regime.

At least the draft selections have improved dramatically with the Ziggy-Childress team.
    The story of that draft (not sure if it was ever confirmed) has been that Tice actually wanted them to draft Shawne Merriman and they had a huge war room argument between Tice vs. McCombs / whomever the other front office people were that year. I think Merriman ended up going 12th.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Jables22 View Post
    The story of that draft (not sure if it was ever confirmed) has been that Tice actually wanted them to draft Shawne Merriman and they had a huge war room argument between Tice vs. McCombs / whomever the other front office people were that year. I think Merriman ended up going 12th.
    OH MY!! Wasn't this the draft also that Minnesota took too much time and fell a spot?

Are you a member?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mwitt View Post
    I would consider 18+ yards per reception as a factor.
    If you go back & look at individual games, most of the 18 ypr stats were racked up against weak teams. He disappeared against most of the better teams. No way should he have been the #7 pick.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CRcyclone6 View Post
    OH MY!! Wasn't this the draft also that Minnesota took too much time and fell a spot?
    That was the 02 draft where the Vikings ended up with mnt McKinnie. Not a bad end result, but another example of bad management by McCombs / Tice.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

ok, thanks. I guess 4-5 months from the end of the season to draft day wasn't long enough.

Are you a member?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 1,023
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14

If the Vikings win the bidding war, Donovon McNabb will wear purple and Tavaris Jackson will be his backup. Childress knows McNabb, he knows the offense and would be the highest rated QB by far available. Childress knows he must make the playoffs next season, or he will be gone. His experiment failed, and he will push for the McNabb move. Sage is not that well rated, nor is Seneca (although I like them both) There really isn't a strong #2 to McNabb and Childress can't wait for TJack or the draft, neither can the Vikings hopes for a new stadium.