Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 78

Thread: Cyclone TV fail

  1. #61
    Pro
    Points: 39,204, Level: 61
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,146
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Cyhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    2,773
    Points
    39,204
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 9

    Re: Cyclone TV fail

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    Tried a video today, but never got through the buffering. That does need to be addressed if they want people to pay.
    The buffering is brutal! I'm actually considering canceling for that reason. And it pains me. I want to support, but god almighty, the buffering is incessant! It's not my connection either because all other videos from other sources stream perfectly.



  2. #62
    Pro
    Points: 39,204, Level: 61
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,146
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Cyhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    2,773
    Points
    39,204
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 9

    Re: Cyclone TV fail

    Something else I've noticed.....the free videos don't buffer much. It's only the premium ones. Not sure why that is.



  3. #63
    Pro
    Points: 56,149, Level: 73
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 901
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    BoxsterCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Golden Valley, MN
    Posts
    3,417
    Points
    56,149
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 321
    Given: 306

    Re: Cyclone TV fail

    Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    The poster you replied to wasn't complaining about the content, which seems to be what you are talking about. The complaint was about the web infrastructure that hosts the content, and those complaints are well-justified. As has been mentioned, the NeuLion media player is not good, and their servers seem to be overburdened during games.

    I will continue to subscribe, because I want to support this endeavor at ISU, and being out of state, it affords me the opportunity to watch ISU events that I would otherwise not see. That doesn't mean I should be satisfied with a video feed that often is throttled down to super-low definition or cuts out completely. And before you mention it, the problem is not my equipment or Internet connection. I have no trouble with YouTube, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc.

    There are better, more robust hosting solutions out there, and hopefully ISU is either looking at other options, or pushing NeuLion to get their act together. As someone else mentioned, if the ISU AD really wants to sell this product, the technical delivery of the video stream is going to have to get better.
    Yup, this. The HD feeds from Hilton for the volleyball and WBB can be good and that is the only reason I subscribe as an out of state guy, best option to catch the home games for me. When they throttle down to low res it can be frustrating since I have tons of of bandwidth and know it isn't on my end. I rarely watch the interviews and other stuff. Just don't really care to listen to a bunch of coach and talking head speak, I want to watch games.



  4. #64
    Pro
    Points: 56,149, Level: 73
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 901
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    BoxsterCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Golden Valley, MN
    Posts
    3,417
    Points
    56,149
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 321
    Given: 306

    Re: Cyclone TV fail

    Quote Originally Posted by kilgore_trout View Post
    I said "sucks" in one email and "sucks ***" in the other, referring to Neulion/Cyclone.tv. Two months later I got an email full of inaccuracies and typos. I was not a huge jerk about it. I was mostly upset because they both ignored me and then I got that stupid email with ADJP's signature at the bottom two months later.

    Presumably, he didn't send it personally.

    I responded with: "You could've just said "Sorry"".

    That's the last of it. Never heard back from anyone. I don't care anymore but at the time...

    PS. A customer should be able to have an opinion.
    Sorry won't do when you can:






  5. #65
    Starter
    Points: 22,360, Level: 45
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 190
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    khardbored's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Crocker Township
    Posts
    856
    Points
    22,360
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 299

    Re: Cyclone TV fail

    Quote Originally Posted by colbycheese View Post

    I haven't even seen the 24-7 Cyclones.tv channel yet. I think it would be cool to see it streamed online for Cyclones.tv subscribers who aren't in-state. Is that even a possibility?
    I assume you're referring to the Cyclones.TV channel on Mediacom?

    It isn't "really" 24-7. Yes, there is a signal coming thru all the time, but when they are between items for broadcast it just shows something akin to a power point showing upcoming events, "fan tweet of the week" (which often seems to last for 2-3 weeks), an advertisement for where you can buy tickets, etc. Frequently there can be anywhere from 15 - 60 minutes between "shows." I'm not sure if they have anything in the middle of the night or not.

    The products shown are very repetitive; for example, I think a replay of the 2011 OK state game was shown something like 15 times in the past two weeks.

    But I'm not complaining, though it may sound like it. It's really good for what it is and it's fun to watch replays of old games, etc. In fact, it's a compelling reason to get Mediacom if you're in central Iowa. Both Cyclone.TV and Fox Sports 1 are a part of their basic-level TV+internet package. (And apparently with Dish, you can't watch the games on FS1 as of now). Just don't expect the equivalent of ESPN dedicated to Cyclone athletics!


    Last edited by khardbored; 08-23-2014 at 02:00 PM. Reason: bad spelling

  6. #66
    Addict
    Points: 143,119, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Farnsworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    7,502
    Points
    143,119
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 490
    Given: 234

    Re: Cyclone TV fail

    I'm out of state so don't get it, I also thought it was 24/7 with just a lot of rerun material. Does the guide at least tell you when and what's on air so you know when to watch?



  7. #67
    All-Star
    Points: 27,136, Level: 50
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 414
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    1,221
    Points
    27,136
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 143
    Given: 94

    Re: Cyclone TV fail

    We had terrible buffering problems online, but shortly after, Mediacom started showing the network, and the games are so much better than the games they used to show on Mediacom 23. Wish there were more camera angles and replays, but I'm sure they have a limited budget.

    As for Cyclones.tv correspondence, I emailed John Walters last winter, said how much I like them being on Mediacom, and suggested they give microphones to reporters during the post basketball press conferences, and that they show something - highlights or even commercials (for revenue) during the three minute breaks on the coaches call in shows. He responded in less than two hours with this:


    Thanks for your kind comments and the suggestions. At the Monday morning press conferences weve been pretty good at having the questions included. Its been harder after games because of manpower, but its definitely something we agree with and we would like to get more consistent with having the reporters ask the questions into a microphone (some of its out of our control because occasionally reporters will blurt out a question without waiting for the mic. In their defense, they never had to worry about the microphone in the past but were trying to get them in the habit of asking for it).

    As our product continues to evolve, you should see more commercials. In the first year, it was a big effort just to make sure everything got on the air. But things will be fine-tuned going forward. Were also considering the idea of using highlights as the coaches are speaking to add some spice to the TV version of the call-in show.

    Thanks again,

    John Walters



  8. #68
    All-Star
    Points: 21,448, Level: 44
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 202
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered10000 Experience Points
    roundball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,291
    Points
    21,448
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 861
    Given: 426

    Re: Cyclone TV fail

    Quote Originally Posted by Judoka View Post
    Coming up on 12,000 posts in 3 years but you can't be bothered to shell out $80 a year to support ISU's media production? Especially when you get a whole lot out of it? The more people that sign up the better the production will be, and the more stuff they'll be able to cover.
    Quote Originally Posted by Judoka View Post
    Because it means you spend a lot of your time on things having to do with Cyclone athletics, but can't be bothered to support the generation of more and better cyclone athletics content.
    What's with the shaming? How about you let us know what you choose to spend your money on so we can criticize it?

    And this whole "spend more money on it if you want it to be better" argument is bogus; the way it works with just about every other product is that the producer takes a risk by making an investment/improvement and then asks people to pay for it. It's a chicken and egg scenario, and the burden is on cyclones.tv to improve, not the customer...make a better product if you want more people to pay/charge higher rates. Can you imagine people saying "yeah, the Edsel is a ****** car, but if you just give Ford more of your money, they'll make it a great car instead!"



  9. #69
    Rookie
    Points: 10,728, Level: 31
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 522
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    ArgentCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    524
    Points
    10,728
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 28

    Re: Cyclone TV fail

    Quote Originally Posted by kilgore_trout View Post
    I said "sucks" in one email and "sucks ***" in the other, referring to Neulion/Cyclone.tv. Two months later I got an email full of inaccuracies and typos. I was not a huge jerk about it. I was mostly upset because they both ignored me and then I got that stupid email with ADJP's signature at the bottom two months later.
    PS. A customer should be able to have an opinion.
    Man if he is offended by one "sucks" he really wouldn't want to read the recent emails I sent to Samsung. I tried to minimize the language but when you have a 1.5 yr old washing machine that has unavailable parts it makes that difficult. I literally had to repair a plastic part with Gorilla Tape (thumbs up) but stay away from Samsung appliances yikes.



  10. #70
    All-Star
    Points: 21,448, Level: 44
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 202
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered10000 Experience Points
    roundball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,291
    Points
    21,448
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 861
    Given: 426

    Re: Cyclone TV fail

    Quote Originally Posted by ArgentCy View Post
    Man if he is offended by one "sucks" he really wouldn't want to read the recent emails I sent to Samsung. I tried to minimize the language but when you have a 1.5 yr old washing machine that has unavailable parts it makes that difficult. I literally had to repair a plastic part with Gorilla Tape (thumbs up) but stay away from Samsung appliances yikes.
    I'm sure Samsung was so scared by your foul language that they will never make that mistake again!

    I don't understand people who think it's acceptable to treat others like **** in email/over the phone, no matter how badly they've been wronged. Do you think your swearing did a single bit of good? If it had any effect at all, it was probably just to make some poor customer service rep's day even more miserable than it already was. Kudos to you.



  11. #71
    All-Star
    Points: 16,031, Level: 38
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 419
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    jkclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    1,060
    Points
    16,031
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 293

    Re: Cyclone TV fail

    Quote Originally Posted by roundball View Post
    I'm sure Samsung was so scared by your foul language that they will never make that mistake again!

    I don't understand people who think it's acceptable to treat others like **** in email/over the phone, no matter how badly they've been wronged. Do you think your swearing did a single bit of good? If it had any effect at all, it was probably just to make some poor customer service rep's day even more miserable than it already was. Kudos to you.
    While you shouldn't start out that way by any means there is no reason to feel bad about using it to get your point across if they are just ignoring you.



  12. #72
    Starter
    Points: 22,360, Level: 45
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 190
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    khardbored's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Crocker Township
    Posts
    856
    Points
    22,360
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 299

    Re: Cyclone TV fail

    Quote Originally Posted by jkclone View Post
    While you shouldn't start out that way by any means there is no reason to feel bad about using it to get your point across if they are just ignoring you.
    If someone if legitimately ignoring you (ie, not paying attention), yes, sure; if the low-ranking customer service rep is just telling you what the company tells them to say, no. I doubt Frank who replies to 50 customer service emails per day decides on when washing machine parts will stop being made.



  13. #73
    Starter
    Points: 22,360, Level: 45
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 190
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    khardbored's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Crocker Township
    Posts
    856
    Points
    22,360
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 299

    Re: Cyclone TV fail

    Quote Originally Posted by Farnsworth View Post
    I'm out of state so don't get it, I also thought it was 24/7 with just a lot of rerun material. Does the guide at least tell you when and what's on air so you know when to watch?
    Yes. (it's on Cyclones.com). For example, a replay of Kansas vs. ISU football game is on at 11 PM tonight!



  14. #74
    All-Star
    Points: 16,031, Level: 38
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 419
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    jkclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    1,060
    Points
    16,031
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 293

    Re: Cyclone TV fail

    Quote Originally Posted by khardbored View Post
    If someone if legitimately ignoring you (ie, not paying attention), yes, sure; if the low-ranking customer service rep is just telling you what the company tells them to say, no. I doubt Frank who replies to 50 customer service emails per day decides on when washing machine parts will stop being made.
    I was more talking about the JP one. Saying sucks and getting no response then saying sucks *** and getting back what he supposedly did is unacceptable on only the AD/AD representative. Especially for what it is. I expect to at least get a response even if it is from intern. The other poster who emailed John Walters is what I would expect. A nice respectful response saying they got it and maybe giving a reason or two.



  15. #75
    Addict
    Points: 129,719, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    theshadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,623
    Points
    129,719
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 0

    Re: Cyclone TV fail

    Quote Originally Posted by khardbored View Post
    The products shown are very repetitive; for example, I think a replay of the 2011 OK state game was shown something like 15 times in the past two weeks.
    Other than live/special events, each day is basically a 6-hour block of programming repeated four times.

    And let's face it...compared to other schools, ISU doesn't have a plethora of "classic" games/wins in its arsenal. Combine that with just not having a whole lot of archival footage in their possession (for one reason or another).



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 02:30 PM