Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

Eikmeier scores 28 on Saturday Night

I was not at the game, Wes scored 28 points in a romp over Yutan 83-36. Wes is soring right at 30 ppg through 9 games.

Knights grab control early against Yutan - Sports - Prep - The Fremont Tribune - Fremont, Nebraska's Community Newspaper

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 159
    Given: 31

Re: Eikmeier scores 28 on Saturday Night

Hoping this kid can really play when he gets to Ames!

Pro
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 261
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

He shot the ball 21 times and made 9 attempts and had 4 three pointers. He is taking a lot of shots, I don't think he'll be able to take as many here but will still be a major factor.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 418
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by scottie33 View Post
    He shot the ball 21 times and made 9 attempts and had 4 three pointers. He is taking a lot of shots, I don't think he'll be able to take as many here but will still be a major factor.
    Some guys are scorers, some are shooters. Wes might just be both.

Starter
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 792
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Wes is shooting 53% from the field and 94% from the free throw line through 9 games.

Pro
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 261
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

Thanks for the stat NebrClone...good news. I just saw how many attempts he had, that is good stats to hear!!! Thanks for the imput on him, we all appreciate it!!!

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by NebrClone View Post
    I was not at the game, Wes scored 28 points in a romp over Yutan 83-36. Wes is soring right at 30 ppg through 9 games.

Knights grab control early against Yutan - Sports - Prep - The Fremont Tribune - Fremont, Nebraska's Community Newspaper
    And I hear Yutan is really a tough team! Seriously, I was born in Omaha, I have relatives in NE Nebraska, and I worked one summer in Lincoln...where the heck is Yutan? Sounds like some town of about 500 people with a post office, a bar, and a grain elevator.

I hope this kid will be able to get his shot off against the significantly bigger and more athletic players he will see in the Big 12. Just look at Haluska this year...shooting against DI teams (even weaker DI teams) is not as easy as shooting against HS and JUCO teams!

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by NebrClone View Post
    Wes is shooting 53% from the field and 94% from the free throw line through 9 games.
    What did he get for Christmas?

Just "yanking your chain"!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 287
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 23

Why does it bother you so much when he posts Wes's stats? I think maybe Jeremy should code an auto-reply for all of NebrClone's threads stating that his competition isn't all-world and then you can rest. :)

Starter
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 582
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Haluska averaged, what, 6 points a game in JUCO and didn't start? I'm not trying to rip on Haluska, but anyone who expected amazing things from him was sadly taken in by hype that wasn't backed up by a whole lot.

Wes is continually putting up gaudy numbers. Regardless of the competition, that many points and three pointers on a nightly basis is at least somewhat impressive. Some stats, such as free throw shooting, that he excels at, will be valuable and should transfer to Big 12 play no matter what.

Furthermore, he seems dedicated. The coaches asked him to focus on putting on muscle and he responded by gaining quite a few pounds in the offseason. He seems like the kind of kid that will do anything to improve his game, and he's been committed to us for at least a year now. I highly doubt that he will transfer or run into academic problems, as he seems a focused young man that respects our coaching staff.

So yeah, his stats come against competition inferior to that he will see in the Big 12. So does every other high schoolers, and not many of them ever score 40 in a game. He might not work out on the court, but I doubt he'll ever embarass Iowa State, leave because he doesn't get along with McDermott and wants playing time, or fail his classes and destroy our APR. He also might surprise us and be a three point threat that we desperately need. Only time will tell.

have you ever got caught outside In a strong rainfall? Yes or NO. If it"s yes, then you might half felt the pane of hard(tought) rain on you head. If it hurt"s then it"s tough. Yes or no. Okay I'm right and you know it.

So alothough you attempt"ed to say you didn"t understnad, now you do. Fair enough?

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by markshir View Post
    Haluska averaged, what, 6 points a game in JUCO and didn't start? I'm not trying to rip on Haluska, but anyone who expected amazing things from him was sadly taken in by hype that wasn't backed up by a whole lot.

Wes is continually putting up gaudy numbers. Regardless of the competition, that many points and three pointers on a nightly basis is at least somewhat impressive. Some stats, such as free throw shooting, that he excels at, will be valuable and should transfer to Big 12 play no matter what.

Furthermore, he seems dedicated. The coaches asked him to focus on putting on muscle and he responded by gaining quite a few pounds in the offseason. He seems like the kind of kid that will do anything to improve his game, and he's been committed to us for at least a year now. I highly doubt that he will transfer or run into academic problems, as he seems a focused young man that respects our coaching staff.

So yeah, his stats come against competition inferior to that he will see in the Big 12. So does every other high schoolers, and not many of them ever score 40 in a game. He might not work out on the court, but I doubt he'll ever embarass Iowa State, leave because he doesn't get along with McDermott and wants playing time, or fail his classes and destroy our APR. He also might surprise us and be a three point threat that we desperately need. Only time will tell.
    And all of this "Eikmeier scores 'X' points" is not hype?

Competition level does matter...just because you can drop 25 or 30 on Yutan in NE HS BB does not mean you can do it in DI NCAA BB.

I'm glad he put a few pounds on...however, I've looked at his picture in the links provided and he is still "thin as a rail".

You are correct...time will tell on this kid but our current team has several kids that were able to put up "gaudy" scoring numbers in HS as well:

Haluska: 25+ppg
    C. Johnson: 27ppg
    Jacobson: 23+ppg
    Currie: 20+ppg

That scoring has really translated well into DI ball hasn't it?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 418
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone#1 View Post

Competition level does matter...just because you can drop 25 or 30 on Yutan in NE HS BB does not mean you can do it in DI NCAA BB.

I'm glad he put a few pounds on...however, I've looked at his picture in the links provided and he is still "thin as a rail".

You are correct...time will tell on this kid but our current team has several kids that were able to put up "gaudy" scoring numbers in HS as well:

Haluska: 25+ppg
    C. Johnson: 27ppg
    Jacobson: 23+ppg
    Currie: 20+ppg

That scoring has really translated well into DI ball hasn't it?
    The most important stat is how many D1 coaches think enough of a kid to offer him a scholarship. You know, the guys who depend on their evaluations to secure their future - not us self appointed internet gurus.

My recollection is that C Johnson really wasn't that highly recruited out of hs. Most coaches probably saw the tweener issues that he is still trying to overcome. Did any of the other 3 guys on your list have any D1 offers? I don't recall any.

Eikmeier camped with GMac who obviously liked what he saw in terms of talent. This is what got him the early offer which is further validated by the subsequent interest from programs such as Creighton, Missouri, & Nebraska after he committed to ISU.

The order of what is important is clear in this case. Evaluation of excellent skills in a controlled environment followed by a D1 offer followed by impressive stats followed by interest from other programs. Don't try to make a comparison simply to guys with stats without the other 3 factors involved in Eikmeier's case.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 204
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 126

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone#1 View Post
    I don't read it as hype--it's just someone who's excited about an incoming recruit, keeping us posted on how that recruit is doing. I agree, however, that it would not be wise to get too excited about a guy based merely on his numbers against relatively weak, small-school competition. Guys who score a lot of points at the small school level are not hard to come by. But I don't think Eikmeier is your dime-a-dozen high school player. He's been involved in AAU ball against much tougher competition and apparently done pretty well. Also, a lot of D-I programs are interested in him, including Nebraska, Creighton, and Missouri. But only time will tell for sure how good he is.

"The values to which people cling most stubbornly under inappropriate conditions are those values that were previously the source of their greatest triumphs over adversity." -Jared Diamond, Collapse

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I understand all ISU fans wanting this kid to be something "special". Heck, I hope he is the second coming of JJ Reddick!

However, he is "lighting it up" at a small school in Nebraska...not at a school in the Chicago Catholic league or the NYC Public School league for goodness sake. How many times will he face a DI prospect this year during his season? Probably never. Yeah, I know he plays AAU...yada, yada, yada. My son plays AAU too...as long as you have the requisite funds, anyone that wants to can play AAU ball...it's not that big of a deal.

My point is simple, history says that this kid will probably come in and struggle to get any time on the floor next year. Unfortunately, many on this site actually think this kid will be able to come in and contribute right away next year. That will be great if he can but the reality is that the chances are good that he will end up being a project that hopefully can develop into a decent spot-up shooter. I'm all for being positive about a kid but a little realism should be sprinkled in to the mix as well.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 196
    Given: 423

Any person who is going to aruge how good a recruit is going to be without actually seeing him in person is nuts.

cyclone#1 does NOT make his point because he is simply stating things about him ripping it up against lower talent. Who cares who he has played? Its all about how good this kid actually is when you watch him. I wont say how good Wes should be because I havent seen him play.

"That will be great if he can but the reality is that the chances are good that he will end up being a project that hopefully can develop into a decent spot-up shooter." IF you have researched Wes at all he is NOT just a spot shooter, so don't bet on that.

Please people do your homework before you start calling out other fanatics.