Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Starter
    Points: 17,093, Level: 39
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    CloneFan03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Urbandale, IA
    Posts
    717
    Points
    17,093
    Level
    39
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 10

    More press for Niang

    Players to Watch from Bleacher Report

    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...season/page/10



  2. #2
    Legend
    Points: 159,311, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Judoka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Timbuktu
    Posts
    12,600
    Points
    159,311
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,199
    Given: 1,443

    Re: More press for Niang

    Calling something from Bleacher Report "press" is a bit of a stretch.

    Seriously. Bleacher Report is terrible and no one should drive traffic there way under any circumstances. No clicks means no ad revenue means they eventually shrivel up and die.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 252,364, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    klamath632's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    9,966
    Points
    252,364
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,116
    Given: 957

    Re: More press for Niang



    Quote Originally Posted by RustShack View Post
    Can't wait until the season starts and CPR has Iowa State in a bowl game again to shut a lot of the idiots up.

  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 120,272, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 91.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cyclonesince78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    9,885
    Points
    120,272
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,453
    Given: 3,271

    Re: More press for Niang

    Quote Originally Posted by Judoka View Post
    Calling something from Bleacher Report "press" is a bit of a stretch.

    Seriously. Bleacher Report is terrible and no one should drive traffic there way under any circumstances. No clicks means no ad revenue means they eventually shrivel up and die.
    I'm just happy I haven't seen a thread from answers.com in a while. I can live with Bleacher Report. (Although they are terrible.)



  5. #5
    Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Points: 621,454, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 70.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Mr Janny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    24,030
    Points
    621,454
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,811
    Given: 248

    Re: More press for Niang

    Quote Originally Posted by Judoka View Post
    Calling something from Bleacher Report "press" is a bit of a stretch.

    Seriously. Bleacher Report is terrible and no one should drive traffic there way under any circumstances. No clicks means no ad revenue means they eventually shrivel up and die.
    Bleacher report gets a bad rap. Some of it's justified, because certainly some of their reporting is bad. But, there are plenty of good journalists working there, producing good stuff. A lot of their NCAA basketball coverage is very good, for example.


    "What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

    "Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

    "Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 302,321, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    VeloClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Posts
    17,063
    Points
    302,321
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,295
    Given: 6,357

    Re: More press for Niang

    So basically, Janny, you are saying Bleacher Report is a box of chocolates...


    "There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 302,321, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    VeloClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Posts
    17,063
    Points
    302,321
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,295
    Given: 6,357

    Re: More press for Niang

    As long as we are doing this, from BR as well - complete with stock BR Georges photo. Note that he is on the front page of this one (in the boot) as well.

    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...014-15/page/12


    "There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 207,465, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    HFCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LA LA Land
    Posts
    16,407
    Points
    207,465
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,091
    Given: 1,993

    Re: More press for Niang

    Bleacher report loves Hoiball lately so it's clearly improved as a source of sports info and opinion.



  9. #9
    Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Points: 621,454, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 70.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Mr Janny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    24,030
    Points
    621,454
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,811
    Given: 248

    Re: More press for Niang

    Quote Originally Posted by HFCS View Post
    Bleacher report loves Hoiball lately so it's clearly improved as a source of sports info and opinion.
    I'd say that it's been improving consistently ever since they replace SI as CNN's sports source. There's been a focus on improving quality, and they've been reasonably successful.


    "What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

    "Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

    "Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

  10. #10
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 36,819, Level: 59
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,031
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsSocial
    cyclones12321's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Newton Ia
    Posts
    4,273
    Points
    36,819
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 475
    Given: 221

    Re: More press for Niang

    Actually I really liked this article



  11. #11
    Starter
    Points: 5,826, Level: 22
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 224
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    CloneZone13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    640
    Points
    5,826
    Level
    22
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 160
    Given: 341

    Re: More press for Niang

    Yeah, what's not great about this article. I think it's spot on. My favorite part was the 'Seriously contending with Kansas and Texas'.



  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 51,361, Level: 70
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,189
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    roundball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,353
    Points
    51,361
    Level
    70
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,377
    Given: 1,581

    Re: More press for Niang

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Janny View Post
    Bleacher report gets a bad rap. Some of it's justified, because certainly some of their reporting is bad. But, there are plenty of good journalists working there, producing good stuff. A lot of their NCAA basketball coverage is very good, for example.
    Reporting? Journalism? I'm sorry, but you can't have a very good understanding of either of those concepts if you think they're embodied by Bleacher Report.

    Even if Bleacher Report hired the top sportswriter from every newspaper in the country, they'll never be considered legitimate journalism because of two fundamental flaws: fan-sourced content, and no editorial point of view. Any Tom, Dick, or Harry with a pulse can write commentary (not reporting) on something sports-related and get it published by Bleacher Report. Even if there's an occasional nugget of good stuff, readers have to wade through mounds of **** to get it, which flies against the whole point of journalism (identifying and distilling what's important).

    On top of that, the "articles" Bleacher Report puts out frequently contradict each other...a quick google search reveals that Bleacher Report writers think that Brett Favre, Tom Brady, and Peyton Manning are all the "best quarterbacks ever"...well, which is it? Their answer is "whatever will get some moron to click on the link", which is the same BS tactic used by other content mills like BuzzFeed, Cracked, Viral Nova, and so on.

    Unfortunately, it's also a successful business model (idiots like clicking through listicles, I guess), and it's probably here to stay. But until Bleacher Report knocks it off, they're still just a click-bait content farm that happens to employ a few decent writers (probably for the sole purpose of being able to say "see, we are legitimate journalism!").



  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 41,032, Level: 62
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 618
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Psiclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Corvallis, OR
    Posts
    2,197
    Points
    41,032
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 313
    Given: 402

    Re: More press for Niang

    Quote Originally Posted by Judoka View Post
    Calling something from Bleacher Report "press" is a bit of a stretch.

    Seriously. Bleacher Report is terrible and no one should drive traffic there way under any circumstances. No clicks means no ad revenue means they eventually shrivel up and die.
    That's no longer true about Bleacher Report, though it was a year ago. They have actually written some very nice and knowledgeable articles about ISU recently.

    But, perhaps you can point to something in the Niang article with which you disagree?


    "Of course the people don't want war ... the people can always be brought to do the bidding of the leaders. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger."
    -- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 71,808, Level: 83
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,342
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    besserheimerphat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Posts
    3,122
    Points
    71,808
    Level
    83
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 415
    Given: 541

    Re: More press for Niang

    Quote Originally Posted by roundball View Post
    Reporting? Journalism? I'm sorry, but you can't have a very good understanding of either of those concepts if you think they're embodied by Bleacher Report.

    Even if Bleacher Report hired the top sportswriter from every newspaper in the country, they'll never be considered legitimate journalism because of two fundamental flaws: fan-sourced content, and no editorial point of view. Any Tom, Dick, or Harry with a pulse can write commentary (not reporting) on something sports-related and get it published by Bleacher Report. Even if there's an occasional nugget of good stuff, readers have to wade through mounds of **** to get it, which flies against the whole point of journalism (identifying and distilling what's important).

    On top of that, the "articles" Bleacher Report puts out frequently contradict each other...a quick google search reveals that Bleacher Report writers think that Brett Favre, Tom Brady, and Peyton Manning are all the "best quarterbacks ever"...well, which is it? Their answer is "whatever will get some moron to click on the link", which is the same BS tactic used by other content mills like BuzzFeed, Cracked, Viral Nova, and so on.

    Unfortunately, it's also a successful business model (idiots like clicking through listicles, I guess), and it's probably here to stay. But until Bleacher Report knocks it off, they're still just a click-bait content farm that happens to employ a few decent writers (probably for the sole purpose of being able to say "see, we are legitimate journalism!").
    Only if said listicle topics include boob pics, in which case, yes, I do enjoy clicking through them.


    You can spend a lot of time and money picking out the perfect floral bouquet for your date ... but you're probably better off checking if you have bad breath and taking the porn out of the glove compartment.

    The moral: you gain more by not being stupid, than you do by being smart. Smart gets neutralized by other smart people. Stupid does not.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. UNI
  • August 29, 2015
  • 06:00 PM