Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 133
    Given: 606

Re: United Airlines - "Not a nut free airline"

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan32 View Post
    This thread has made me feel bad about my wife and I's approach to our 1 year old's diet-- "You think he can eat that yet? I bet he can. Put it in front of him and lets see how this goes."
    This is what I should do with eggs. Sigh. Most other foods I haven't really worried about.

8/17/12

If you want something more sobering, feel free to visit this blog:
    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Addict
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 236
    Overall activity: 95.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,474
    Given: 1,771

We were more casual with what the kids ate "back in my day"...small amounts of baby cereal at 2-3 months, started introducing pureed fresh veggies & fruits at six months, some pureed meats at about 9 months, no dairy until they were one year old. Peanut butter was a staple in our house. Neither of my boys has any allergies to foods. One does have nasty hayfever though....and cowgirl, he's the one that preferred reading & playing board games to digging around outside (although he got plenty of that too).

Very very sad day for hubby when he found out he had to give up his feather pillow. I can't sleep in the same bed with them, or with down comforters; can't be enclosed in a small space (like a car) with someone wearing a down jacket. It's not the same kind of instant reaction as peanuts...just a general sensation of air passages closing up, and breathing becoming difficult - sinus headaches quickly follow.

All-Star
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 661
    Overall activity: 74.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,131
    Given: 611

Quote Originally Posted by GWad View Post
    where were all the kids with peanut allergies 50 years ago when I was a young?? I don't get it.
    They probably all died and blamed it on the Communists.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,864
    Given: 1,599

Quote Originally Posted by ImJustKCClone View Post
    We were more casual with what the kids ate "back in my day"...small amounts of baby cereal at 2-3 months, started introducing pureed fresh veggies & fruits at six months, some pureed meats at about 9 months, no dairy until they were one year old. Peanut butter was a staple in our house. Neither of my boys has any allergies to foods. One does have nasty hayfever though....and cowgirl, he's the one that preferred reading & playing board games to digging around outside (although he got plenty of that too).

Very very sad day for hubby when he found out he had to give up his feather pillow. I can't sleep in the same bed with them, or with down comforters; can't be enclosed in a small space (like a car) with someone wearing a down jacket. It's not the same kind of instant reaction as peanuts...just a general sensation of air passages closing up, and breathing becoming difficult - sinus headaches quickly follow.
    It was different back then. No baby gates big enough for the cave entrances, never know if some random hungry dinosaur might wander by.
    I can only imagine what those poor kids were fed.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by roundball View Post
    They probably all died and blamed it on the Communists.
    Well, yeah...!

Everything was a "commie plot" back then!

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    It was different back then. No baby gates big enough for the cave entrances, never know if some random hungry dinosaur might wander by.
    I can only imagine what those poor kids were fed.
    Watch the Flintstones...that should give you a clue!

:p

Addict
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 1,188
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 109

Peanut allergies are one of the most likely to lead to anaphylaxis. People can have a life threatening reaction to touching a spot that someone else touched with oil from the nuts they were eating on their hand. I am not one to cater to every special need, but this is one area I would say keep peanuts off airlines. There is no worse place for an airway emergency than at 30,000ft.

ALL IN
    www.cyclonejerseys.com
    Always buying historically relevant ISU gear

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by everyyard View Post
    Peanut allergies are one of the most likely to lead to anaphylaxis. People can have a life threatening reaction to touching a spot that someone else touched with oil from the nuts they were eating on their hand. I am not one to cater to every special need, but this is one area I would say keep peanuts off airlines. There is no worse place for an airway emergency than at 30,000ft.
    I can understand the airlines not serving them, but I also understand United's POV...hubby & I don't like to pay top dollar for lousy pretzels & stale sandwiches, so we tend to take our own snacks on flights. Peanut M&M's are often a part of that. The airline really has no control over that, and I have never thought twice about eating peanuts on a plane. However, if I was asked by the cabin staff to refrain from eating anything with peanuts because they have a passenger on board with a known severe allergy, I would comply.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,864
    Given: 1,599

Quote Originally Posted by ImJustKCClone View Post
    I can understand the airlines not serving them, but I also understand United's POV...hubby & I don't like to pay top dollar for lousy pretzels & stale sandwiches, so we tend to take our own snacks on flights. Peanut M&M's are often a part of that. The airline really has no control over that, and I have never thought twice about eating peanuts on a plane. However, if I was asked by the cabin staff to refrain from eating anything with peanuts, I would comply.
    I would, too. In this case, I would bet that someone ignored the announcements. That's their fault, not the airline's.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 555
    Given: 357

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirl836 View Post
    ok, I thought I read that too. So the airline was supposed to anticipate her allergy? So should they not include dairy, seafood, nut, or egg products in any of their in-flight meals then either? Because someone may discover an allergy in-flight?
    Nuts are a bigger problem everyday in US *** we harvest more peanuts than rest of workld. If a kid has a reactiuon, the hyperdermic needle shot is only good for about half an hour as the reaction is lackl of ability to breathe. I would guess the flight would be diverted to a nearby airport, so why have peanuts on the plane?

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Rookie
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 128
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 120
    Given: 175

Quote Originally Posted by cyrevkah View Post
    This is what I should do with eggs. Sigh. Most other foods I haven't really worried about.
    Our second daughter was allergic to eggs, but she started reacting to eggs in my breast milk before she was 6 weeks old. We didn't figure out her allergy until 6months old. We didn't realize that her symptoms GI distress (and subsequent trouble sleeping) and eczema were actually her reacting to eggs. So not all food reactions are anaphylactic. She never ate an egg, it was all in my milk. Once I eliminated eggs from my diet, she improved 95%. And she quickly grew out of her egg allergy. I say go for it, just offer them early in the day so like you say you have access to her Ped. And if you are truly concerned about a reaction, make sure you have Benadryl on hand. If there is a reaction for some reason and you call the Dr, the first thing they will have you do is give a dose of Benadryl (or give one yourself if there is a reaction).

Legend
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 863
    Given: 1,724

Quote Originally Posted by everyyard View Post
    Unless that place is at the bottom of a 40m dive.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

All-Star
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 717
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 788
    Given: 734

I sympathize with those that have severe peanut allergies. The airborne allergy takes people away from sporting events, flying, movie theaters, a lot of restaurants, etc.

An airline can make all of the announcements that they want, but knowing how most people zone out airline announcements, it's pretty hard to hold the airline accountable for passengers' actions.

In terms of not knowing if your kid is allergic to peanuts, I made it a special point to figure out the whole "peanut allergy" early on. Given the severe reactions of a possible reaction, it's not a lot to ask a parent to do beforehand. I'm not familiar with another common allergy whose reactions are widely known. Checking that one off the list is pretty easy to do.

Quote Originally Posted by VeloClone View Post
    Clearly you will be in the looney bin within a month. It was good knowing you...

Pro
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 252
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 232
    Given: 128

I had a former co-worker who went in for shoulder surgery, and something weird happened with her body's reaction to the anesthesia she was given. Came out of surgery severely allergic to nuts and any "seed" oils. (Sunflower, coconut, etc) She also became hyper-sensitive to scents/perfumes/etc.

Some of her restrictions:
    - Couldn't use a "public" computer at work. If someone had eaten microwave popcorn and used the keyboard or mouse the day before, and she touched it, she would react with hives and breathing difficulties.
    - At a potluck, someone cross-used a serving knife between a pumpkin pie and a fruit pie. She had a slice of the fruit pie, but I believe she reacted to the nutmeg from the pumpkin pie.
    - If she wanted to see a movie in the theater, she had to usually go to the first showing on a Saturday since that would limit her exposure to the "healthier" sunflower seed oil the theaters now use to make popcorn
    - She had her cubicle moved from a high traffic area near reception to a much lower traffic area in the back corner of the office because of her hyper-sensitivity to smells. Those of us that worked closest with her (all female) didn't bathe ourselves in perfume or scented lotion every day. If we slightly over did it, she could tell, and we would "keep our distance" that day and use the phone or IM to talk to her.
    - When I was the in the cubicle next to her, I knew exactly where her epipen was in her purse, and that if she did go into shock to just stab it in her thigh.

She truly did not want to be a hindrance, and in all honesty, it wasn't that terribly difficult to be "compliant".

Pro
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 784
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 226
    Given: 310

The guy who opened a bag of mixed nuts on a flight, even after being warned 3 times that there was a child with a severe nut allergy, is a huge @#$hole.

“Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun.”
    Alan Wilson Watts