Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,121
    Given: 2,206

Re: Blum Preview Column: The season of wait & see

Quote Originally Posted by CTTB78 View Post
    I'm sure you meant 132 yards for UNI in the first half. Didn't realize it was a 12 yard average. Wow that was tough to watch.
    Yeah, thanks for catching that. I fat fingered it.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Starter
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Given: 5

Last year was a fluke. We stay somewhat healthy and 6 wins will be had.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 682
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 194
    Given: 89

I'm sure you meant 132 yards for UNI in the first half. Didn't realize it was a 12 yard average. Wow that was tough to watch.
    The gap containment and tackling in that game was laughable. As bad as the defense was, that was probably the worst game they played against the run. Baylor was a total team failure. I would hate to rewatch either of those games.

Pro
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,297
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 2

I refuse to have Blum or anyone else bolster my expectations. Will keep mine in the cellar right where they belong thank you.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,147
    Given: 1,787

Quote Originally Posted by cytown View Post
    Last year was a fluke. We stay somewhat healthy and 6 wins will be had.
    That's what this year is about. We get those 6 wins, and only a select few really remember the 3 win season. If we don't, plenty of people remember, and things seem more tenuous, because it won't look (to many) like things are improving. We really need that perception of a program moving forward.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Rookie
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 716
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclophile1 View Post
    Awesome read, as usual. The 3-and-out stat is simply mind-boggling for a BCS level program, and highlights the inept nature of everything related to our offense. That kind of lack of productivity goes WAY beyond injuries and attitudes. Our offense was in a vegetative state with terminal cancer, had driven off a cliff, was an Amtrak trainwreck - pick your metaphor. Simply inexcusable. We had a sense for how bad things were, but that's really a key to pinpointing the problems we had offensively and how that was making life very difficult for a pretty undermanned defense which needed the offense's help for once.

I can relate to Blum on the horses. I'm someone, who for a long time, put horses in the "big and scary" category of creatures. I attribute it to a time when I was 5 or 6 years old and it was a "feed the horse a sugar cube" thing at the farm moment. Anyway, that horse nipped my hand a little with its teeth which looked the size of bricks. It's been hard but this had reduced quite a lot over the years. As I've gotten older, I've some to understand and feel for these creatures more and more, particularly, since I've been told I somewhat resemble these fine animals - their hind quarters specifically.
    Hey tone it down a little no need to insult horses like that!

Pro
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,473
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 197
    Given: 193

This might be the most embarassing stat I've seen since I began following ISU many moons ago. I'll leave it to those with a broader knowledge of stats (Khaal and Blum) to prove me wrong.

Rookie
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 386
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Given: 68

Quote Originally Posted by CyBri View Post
    I like to feed horses apples.
    I like eggs. Billy Crystal

All-Star
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 803
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 68

I remember reading a CW column quite awhile back about the gamble Rhoads was taking in his recruiting approach - he indicated we were recruiting body types and athletes. Thus all the comments about Big 12 bodies and athleticism that have been abundant on this site. If that was true, the real wait and see is if that approach works. In my mind, if we get to four or five wins this year and emerge next year I'll say it was a success. Another 3 win season and I will not have faith in our ability to develop these recruits into players.

It's a novice observation, but I know from coaching youth sports that you can't coach aggressiveness or a nose for the ball. In my opinion that's what makes players. We'll see if Rhoads can do it.

ISU fans are the greatest in the world. All they ask for is hope and the belief that we have a chance to win every time we step on the field - Johnny Majors (paraphrased)

Ya gotta have the horses, man - Johnny Orr.

Rookie
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 33
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 98

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    That's what this year is about. We get those 6 wins, and only a select few really remember the 3 win season. If we don't, plenty of people remember, and things seem more tenuous, because it won't look (to many) like things are improving. We really need that perception of a program moving forward.
    Losing the way we did last year was no 'fluke.' We were an awful team with awful coaching. Blum mentions there's more excitement this year being around the team. I am sure that last year's team felt the same way before the UNI game. Losing the to NDSU could have the same effect this year. I have season tickets, but this might be the last year for awhile unless things improve.

Is it basketball season yet?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 227
    Given: 296

Iowa State did not get a single first down on 49 percent of their possessions in 2013

WHAT?!?! I knew it was a bad offense but . . .

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 6
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 631
    Given: 349

Quote Originally Posted by Daserop View Post
    Blum I wouldn't necessarily blame yourself alone for the horse taking off. There are a number of things that could have lead to this. This may be a little late for Blum, but this is a PSA for those about to or want to ride horses. What you need to know about horses: 1. Horses are not bright animals 2. Don't ever stand directly behind a horse. 3. Horses can be spooked / startled very easily and take off without warning. 4. If a horses ear are pointed back, towards it rear legs, he horse is not happy. 5. Inquire as to how long the horse has been "broken in" aka how long has it been used to people riding it.
    #3. On the Pacific Crest Trail in the Ansel Adams wilderness. Horse got spooked for a second and I quickly realized that I was only going to stay on that horse as long as he wanted me up there

It would've been a beautiful place to die, but I'd like to postpone my demise a few decades

Speechless
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 605
    Given: 389

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclophile1 View Post
    Awesome read, as usual. The 3-and-out stat is simply mind-boggling for a BCS level program, and highlights the inept nature of everything related to our offense. That kind of lack of productivity goes WAY beyond injuries and attitudes. Our offense was in a vegetative state with terminal cancer, had driven off a cliff, was an Amtrak trainwreck - pick your metaphor. Simply inexcusable. We had a sense for how bad things were, but that's really a key to pinpointing the problems we had offensively and how that was making life very difficult for a pretty undermanned defense which needed the offense's help for once.

I can relate to Blum on the horses. I'm someone, who for a long time, put horses in the "big and scary" category of creatures. I attribute it to a time when I was 5 or 6 years old and it was a "feed the horse a sugar cube" thing at the farm moment. Anyway, that horse nipped my hand a little with its teeth which looked the size of bricks. It's been hard but this had reduced quite a lot over the years. As I've gotten older, I've some to understand and feel for these creatures more and more, particularly, since I've been told I somewhat resemble these fine animals - their hind quarters specifically.
    Everyone in the stadium could see the big pile of three and outs. Sometimes it was in double digits. The playcalling completely sucked.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

All-Star
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 566
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 71

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Everyone in the stadium could see the big pile of three and outs. Sometimes it was in double digits. The playcalling completely sucked.
    I'm still not certain how much of that can be put on playcalling. We didn't have an overabundance of skill position talent last year (and still don't this year, really), and I would think the OL injuries severely limited what the offense could do.

Still, we certainly have a better OC this year. I'm optimistic that well see a very positive difference that a healthy line, new offensive coaching staff, and a few additional playmakers has on the offense.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 125

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefCy View Post
    Hey tone it down a little no need to insult horses like that!
    Years ago a neighbor had a horse in a pen about a block from me. I gave the horse an apple almost ever day. When it saw me coming it would run to the fence, slide to a stop and snatch that apple out of my hand with one bite. One day I was all out of apples; so I grabbed a tomato. Truly thought the horse would like it. It saw me coming and ran and slid up to the fence. Biting the tomato with one big bite. He started snorting and spiting foaming at the mouth and glaring at me, shaking his head, throwing a fit. Ever after that when I brought an apple, he would come over slowly, sniff it, lick it, then finely take a small bite then consume it. That horse never again trusted me in spite of feeding him hundreds of apples.