Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    Publisher
    Points: 917,864, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    ChrisMWilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    17,664
    Points
    917,864
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,504
    Given: 566

    enCYCLONEpedia: Obvious is obvious

    Commentary on the Iowa State football schedule from Kirk Haaland.

    http://cyclonefanatic.com/football/n...us-is-obvious/



  2. #2
    Legend
    Points: 135,715, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Cycsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    11,273
    Points
    135,715
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 970
    Given: 782

    Re: enCYCLONEpedia: Obvious is obvious

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    Commentary on the Iowa State football schedule from Kirk Haaland.

    http://cyclonefanatic.com/football/n...us-is-obvious/

    CF quote of the year? It could be used in so many contexts.


    "this is really, really, really mind-numbingly obvious."



  3. #3
    Legend
    Points: 135,715, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Cycsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    11,273
    Points
    135,715
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 970
    Given: 782

    Re: enCYCLONEpedia: Obvious is obvious

    Indeed, this is who we are. A mediocre team that does better now at beating ranked conference teams than we used to be. It would be great to win the conference and I hope we eventually do, but I like being the team that is known for its upsets of ranked teams.

    Watch out OU! You are due . . . way overdue . . . in Ames.



  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 87,967, Level: 92
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,383
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    dualthreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,479
    Points
    87,967
    Level
    92
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 465
    Given: 59

    Re: enCYCLONEpedia: Obvious is obvious

    Hard to argue with the cold hard facts, but last year's schedule wasn't all that difficult. UNI, Iowa, Tulsa, Texas, Texas Tech, TCU, Kansas, and WVU were all very beatable. That's 8 wins should we have had a decent team. Could probably find 8 wins on this year's schedule, too. If the schedule is unbeatable, we are playing in the wrong conference.



  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 28,434, Level: 51
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 216
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    khardbored's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Middle of the Midwest
    Posts
    1,812
    Points
    28,434
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 426
    Given: 1,037

    Re: enCYCLONEpedia: Obvious is obvious

    Quote Originally Posted by dualthreat View Post
    Hard to argue with the cold hard facts, but last year's schedule wasn't all that difficult. UNI, Iowa, Tulsa, Texas, Texas Tech, TCU, Kansas, and WVU were all very beatable. That's 8 wins should we have had a decent team. Could probably find 8 wins on this year's schedule, too. If the schedule is unbeatable, we are playing in the wrong conference.

    +1



  6. #6
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 59,326, Level: 75
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 724
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    4,316
    Points
    59,326
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 88
    Given: 1,102

    Re: enCYCLONEpedia: Obvious is obvious

    Quote Originally Posted by dualthreat View Post
    Hard to argue with the cold hard facts, but last year's schedule wasn't all that difficult. UNI, Iowa, Tulsa, Texas, Texas Tech, TCU, Kansas, and WVU were all very beatable. That's 8 wins should we have had a decent team. Could probably find 8 wins on this year's schedule, too. If the schedule is unbeatable, we are playing in the wrong conference.
    A person could make the argument(I wont though), that we have been playing in the wrong conferences for the last ...oh...100 years or so.



  7. #7
    Legend
    Points: 370,935, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    00clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Iowa City area
    Posts
    14,820
    Points
    370,935
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,939
    Given: 1,287

    Re: enCYCLONEpedia: Obvious is obvious

    This needs to be inserted into the rectum of both lakesbison and those other bison fans who chest thump about how they'd instantly compete in a big-boy conference.



    Quote Originally Posted by cowgirl836
    moar yoga pants, please.
    Quote Originally Posted by 55dB View Post
    I <3 yoga pants.

  8. #8
    Pro
    Points: 86,090, Level: 91
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,360
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    khaal53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,617
    Points
    86,090
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 182
    Given: 3

    Re: enCYCLONEpedia: Obvious is obvious

    Quote Originally Posted by dualthreat View Post
    Hard to argue with the cold hard facts, but last year's schedule wasn't all that difficult. UNI, Iowa, Tulsa, Texas, Texas Tech, TCU, Kansas, and WVU were all very beatable. That's 8 wins should we have had a decent team. Could probably find 8 wins on this year's schedule, too. If the schedule is unbeatable, we are playing in the wrong conference.
    I don't think the schedule was unbeatable at all...it was meant to be less of a commentary on last year's schedule and more of how ISU has traditionally been affected by increasing/decreasing the % of conference opponents that were ranked.

    They could've won 2-3 more games last season for sure, but they didn't and that sticks with the general theme of the last 65 yeara. Though it is extremely obvious.



  9. #9
    Legend
    Points: 176,990, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Here nor there
    Posts
    14,203
    Points
    176,990
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,295
    Given: 1,662

    Re: enCYCLONEpedia: Obvious is obvious

    Imo we are only in our second decade of making it a priority to compete in big-time college athletics (football). Given that late start, our future is brighter than our past imo.


    Last edited by swarthmoreCY; 08-19-2014 at 10:27 PM.

  10. #10
    Starter
    Points: 30,639, Level: 53
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 211
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Yellow Snow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    922
    Points
    30,639
    Level
    53
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 89
    Given: 146

    Re: enCYCLONEpedia: Obvious is obvious

    Quote Originally Posted by khaal53 View Post
    I don't think the schedule was unbeatable at all...it was meant to be less of a commentary on last year's schedule and more of how ISU has traditionally been affected by increasing/decreasing the % of conference opponents that were ranked.

    They could've won 2-3 more games last season for sure, but they didn't and that sticks with the general theme of the last 65 yeara. Though it is extremely obvious.
    I like your take on things khaal53... I've read your stuff for a while now.

    That said... our strength of schedule wouldn't seem so daunting all the time if we were better at the sport of football. To me that is the bottom line.



  11. #11
    Legend
    Points: 176,990, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Here nor there
    Posts
    14,203
    Points
    176,990
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,295
    Given: 1,662

    Re: enCYCLONEpedia: Obvious is obvious

    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Snow View Post
    I like your take on things khaal53... I've read your stuff for a while now.

    That said... our strength of schedule wouldn't seem so daunting all the time if we were better at the sport of football. To me that is the bottom line.
    An easier schedule would facilitate getting better at football. Call it the KSU model.



  12. #12
    Starter
    Points: 30,639, Level: 53
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 211
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Yellow Snow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    922
    Points
    30,639
    Level
    53
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 89
    Given: 146

    Re: enCYCLONEpedia: Obvious is obvious

    Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    An easier schedule would facilitate getting better at football. Call it the KSU model.
    Agreed. I'm not arguing that at all.



  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 86,090, Level: 91
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,360
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    khaal53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,617
    Points
    86,090
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 182
    Given: 3

    Re: enCYCLONEpedia: Obvious is obvious

    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Snow View Post
    I like your take on things khaal53... I've read your stuff for a while now.

    That said... our strength of schedule wouldn't seem so daunting all the time if we were better at the sport of football. To me that is the bottom line.
    Thanks. But to your point, I think i commented on that with this excerpt:

    While a difficult schedule itself doesn’t lead a program to worse results on a guaranteed basis, it is my contention that for a program like Iowa State it makes success far more of an uphill climb. It takes razor thin margins for error and thins them out further. For programs with elite success in recent years, or in their program history, or with upper echelon talent the trend between success and schedule strength is probably less staggering.




    I'm on Twitter: @khaal53

  14. #14
    Starter
    Points: 21,658, Level: 45
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 892
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    norcalcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    777
    Points
    21,658
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 241
    Given: 263

    Re: enCYCLONEpedia: Obvious is obvious

    Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    Imo we are only in our second decade of making it a priority to compete in big-time college athletics (football). Given that late start, our future is pretty brighter than our past imo.
    So true. Amazing we made the cut to stay in a Big Boy conference. Pollard should get a bronze statue in the new SEZ atrium (no sarcasm intended).



  15. #15
    Starter
    Points: 30,639, Level: 53
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 211
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Yellow Snow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    922
    Points
    30,639
    Level
    53
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 89
    Given: 146

    Re: enCYCLONEpedia: Obvious is obvious

    Quote Originally Posted by khaal53 View Post
    Thanks. But to your point, I think i commented on that with this excerpt:

    While a difficult schedule itself doesn’t lead a program to worse results on a guaranteed basis, it is my contention that for a program like Iowa State it makes success far more of an uphill climb. It takes razor thin margins for error and thins them out further. For programs with elite success in recent years, or in their program history, or with upper echelon talent the trend between success and schedule strength is probably less staggering.
    It's a chicken or the egg thing.

    I'm 42 and as long as i can remember... we've always had a difficult schedule. If we wouldn't have been so mediocre at best in the past our schedules wouldn't have looked as daunting.

    It's a two way street.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.TV
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. UNI
  • September 5, 2015
  • 07:00 PM