Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 114
  1. #76
    All-Star
    Points: 22,714, Level: 46
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 836
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Thomasrickj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    1,336
    Points
    22,714
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 241
    Given: 30

    Re: Preseason Top 25

    It does annoy me that no matter the sport, Iowa is consistently overrated. For some reason, voters and "experts" are in love with them. It happens just about every year in football and is now happening in basketball. Every write up I've seen where they rank Iowa, not one of them brings up how they plan on replacing Marble's scoring and who's going to step up. It's ridiculous. That NBC article ranking Iowa and not Iowa State is pretty ridiculous and definitely the worst one I've seen yet. What's funny is these guys on NBC won't rank Iowa State and then by the end of the season, their writers will say things like "we knew all along that Iowa State was a top talent team and we were the only ones that gave them respect before the season started." Then when Iowa collapses, the experts will say "this team is just not good enough to compete with the big boys and we knew it from the start of the season."



  2. #77
    Addict
    Points: 66,949, Level: 80
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,101
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Rural's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,967
    Points
    66,949
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 240
    Given: 178

    Re: Preseason Top 25

    Based on last years complete and utter tank-job and in-squad hatred we see the Hawkeyes as this years up and comer.

    Was it written something like that?



  3. #78
    Speechless
    Points: 257,190, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Cydkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    15,829
    Points
    257,190
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 668
    Given: 561

    Re: Preseason Top 25

    Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard4Cy View Post
    Hate to be debby downer, but I think you all need to temper your expectations a bit as far as where were gonna be ranked. Were missing 3 rotational players for at least a game or two. Our non conference is easy, but I'd actually say it's harder than last years. Our ranking will reflect the Thomas and Nader suspensions as well as McKay being out until December. That said ISU will still have a team capable of winning (and winning big) without them, but just tamper the expectations a bit. ISU will not be ranked 6th.
    Incorrect and correct.



  4. #79
    Speechless
    Points: 257,190, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Cydkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    15,829
    Points
    257,190
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 668
    Given: 561

    Re: Preseason Top 25

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomasrickj View Post
    It does annoy me that no matter the sport, Iowa is consistently overrated. For some reason, voters and "experts" are in love with them. It happens just about every year in football and is now happening in basketball. Every write up I've seen where they rank Iowa, not one of them brings up how they plan on replacing Marble's scoring and who's going to step up. It's ridiculous. That NBC article ranking Iowa and not Iowa State is pretty ridiculous and definitely the worst one I've seen yet. What's funny is these guys on NBC won't rank Iowa State and then by the end of the season, their writers will say things like "we knew all along that Iowa State was a top talent team and we were the only ones that gave them respect before the season started." Then when Iowa collapses, the experts will say "this team is just not good enough to compete with the big boys and we knew it from the start of the season."
    While I don't think Iowa is a top 25 team I don't see the conspiracy that you do.



  5. #80
    All-Star
    Points: 30,577, Level: 53
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 273
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered25000 Experience Points
    roundball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,977
    Points
    30,577
    Level
    53
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,303
    Given: 742

    Re: Preseason Top 25

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomasrickj View Post
    It does annoy me that no matter the sport, Iowa is consistently overrated. For some reason, voters and "experts" are in love with them. It happens just about every year in football and is now happening in basketball. Every write up I've seen where they rank Iowa, not one of them brings up how they plan on replacing Marble's scoring and who's going to step up. It's ridiculous. That NBC article ranking Iowa and not Iowa State is pretty ridiculous and definitely the worst one I've seen yet. What's funny is these guys on NBC won't rank Iowa State and then by the end of the season, their writers will say things like "we knew all along that Iowa State was a top talent team and we were the only ones that gave them respect before the season started." Then when Iowa collapses, the experts will say "this team is just not good enough to compete with the big boys and we knew it from the start of the season."
    To be fair, just about every team loses a good amount of scoring each year. And to be honest, Iowa's not losing as much as you think (Marble/McCabe accounted for just over 28% of their points...we're losing 45% of our offense for comparison).

    Iowa's biggest liability last year was their coach...he couldn't establish a "core" and stretched the team thin. Iowa had nine players averaging over 15 minutes/game, yet only three of them had over 20 minutes/game (in contrast, we had seven players averaging over 15 minutes a game, and all of them had over 20 minutes/game...four of them had over 30 minutes/game, something that can only be claimed by Marble for Iowa).

    Iowa's fix could very well be not utilizing their "depth" and settling on a seven man rotation rather than their "exhibition" style of play they used last year. If they can do that, their scoring could become a lot more consistent and they'd be a better team. However, that's not something that should be assumed in the preseason...Fran's got to prove that he can do it, first.



  6. #81
    Addict
    Points: 66,949, Level: 80
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,101
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Rural's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,967
    Points
    66,949
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 240
    Given: 178

    Re: Preseason Top 25

    Fern not trusting Big Fish or Olalimey to be in the game in the last 10 minutes should tell you everything.



  7. #82
    Legend
    Points: 169,569, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    HFCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    11,733
    Points
    169,569
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,087
    Given: 870

    Re: Preseason Top 25

    Quote Originally Posted by roundball View Post
    To be fair, just about every team loses a good amount of scoring each year. And to be honest, Iowa's not losing as much as you think (Marble/McCabe accounted for just over 28% of their points...we're losing 45% of our offense for comparison).

    Iowa's biggest liability last year was their coach...he couldn't establish a "core" and stretched the team thin. Iowa had nine players averaging over 15 minutes/game, yet only three of them had over 20 minutes/game (in contrast, we had seven players averaging over 15 minutes a game, and all of them had over 20 minutes/game...four of them had over 30 minutes/game, something that can only be claimed by Marble for Iowa).

    Iowa's fix could very well be not utilizing their "depth" and settling on a seven man rotation rather than their "exhibition" style of play they used last year. If they can do that, their scoring could become a lot more consistent and they'd be a better team. However, that's not something that should be assumed in the preseason...Fran's got to prove that he can do it, first.
    Marble could get his own shot on a team of guys who struggle w that, basabe was one of their better rebounders too. Compare that to ISU where Niang was already the go to 1 on 1 scorer and BDJ is great at that too.



  8. #83
    Pro
    Points: 31,868, Level: 54
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    3,263
    Points
    31,868
    Level
    54
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 313
    Given: 414

    Re: Preseason Top 25

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomasrickj View Post
    It does annoy me that no matter the sport, Iowa is consistently overrated. For some reason, voters and "experts" are in love with them. It happens just about every year in football and is now happening in basketball. Every write up I've seen where they rank Iowa, not one of them brings up how they plan on replacing Marble's scoring and who's going to step up. It's ridiculous. That NBC article ranking Iowa and not Iowa State is pretty ridiculous and definitely the worst one I've seen yet. What's funny is these guys on NBC won't rank Iowa State and then by the end of the season, their writers will say things like "we knew all along that Iowa State was a top talent team and we were the only ones that gave them respect before the season started." Then when Iowa collapses, the experts will say "this team is just not good enough to compete with the big boys and we knew it from the start of the season."
    Last year was the first year that Iowa got so much as one vote in the preseason AP poll in more than a decade. They haven't been in the preseason Top 25 in football since 2011. Not exactly a pattern of voters "in love" with them and consistently overranking them.



  9. #84
    Addict
    Points: 66,949, Level: 80
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,101
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Rural's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,967
    Points
    66,949
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 240
    Given: 178

    Re: Preseason Top 25

    Quote Originally Posted by twocoach View Post
    Last year was the first year that Iowa got so much as one vote in the preseason AP poll in more than a decade. They haven't been in the preseason Top 25 in football since 2011. Not exactly a pattern of voters "in love" with them and consistently overranking them.


    Who was coach back then?

    Extreme LOL.



  10. #85
    All-Star
    Points: 30,577, Level: 53
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 273
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered25000 Experience Points
    roundball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,977
    Points
    30,577
    Level
    53
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,303
    Given: 742

    Re: Preseason Top 25

    Quote Originally Posted by HFCS View Post
    Marble could get his own shot on a team of guys who struggle w that, basabe was one of their better rebounders too. Compare that to ISU where Niang was already the go to 1 on 1 scorer and BDJ is great at that too.
    I forgot about Basabe.

    Iowa's got a much slimmer path to an improved season than we do. They need someone from their existing stable to step up and become what Marble was, because they're sure as heck not bringing anyone in. If they can, and Fran sticks with them rather than spreading the minutes around, they might be decent. I'd be worried if I were an Iowa fan, but also hopeful that a few guys might see improved seasons. I'll take our position any day, though.

    But hey, enough about Iowa, back on topic...

    What are some teams that people will be shocked to see left in/out of the preseason Top 25?


    Last edited by roundball; 08-20-2014 at 08:51 AM.

  11. #86
    Pro
    Points: 31,868, Level: 54
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    3,263
    Points
    31,868
    Level
    54
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 313
    Given: 414

    Re: Preseason Top 25

    Quote Originally Posted by Rural View Post
    Who was coach back then? Extreme LOL.
    Hoiberg hasn't had a season where his team has lost LESS than 7 conference games in a season. Will that never change or is he doomed to never improve that? Every season is different. Look at the Big Ten for this year. Michigan isn't as good as they have been. Ohio State is down. Michigan State is down. Nebraska may seriously be the 2nd best team in the conference. Let that sink in. If Iowa does nothing more than stay level they will pick up a few more wins in conference this year.



  12. #87
    Pro
    Points: 36,666, Level: 59
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,184
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    ISUCY23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,190
    Points
    36,666
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 151
    Given: 58

    Re: Preseason Top 25

    Quote Originally Posted by twocoach View Post
    Last year was the first year that Iowa got so much as one vote in the preseason AP poll in more than a decade. They haven't been in the preseason Top 25 in football since 2011. Not exactly a pattern of voters "in love" with them and consistently overranking them.
    He probably meant local media, but you're right, there's no conspiracy theory. People worry about the school to the east a little too much.



  13. #88
    Pro
    Points: 36,666, Level: 59
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,184
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    ISUCY23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,190
    Points
    36,666
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 151
    Given: 58

    Re: Preseason Top 25

    Quote Originally Posted by twocoach View Post
    Hoiberg hasn't had a season where his team has lost LESS than 7 conference games in a season. Will that never change or is he doomed to never improve that? Every season is different. Look at the Big Ten for this year. Michigan isn't as good as they have been. Ohio State is down. Michigan State is down. Nebraska may seriously be the 2nd best team in the conference. Let that sink in. If Iowa does nothing more than stay level they will pick up a few more wins in conference this year.
    ISU went 12-6 Royce's year.


    Last edited by ISUCY23; 08-20-2014 at 09:22 AM.

  14. #89
    Rookie
    Points: 4,730, Level: 20
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 320
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Stillwater, OK
    Posts
    461
    Points
    4,730
    Level
    20
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 107

    Re: Preseason Top 25

    Quote Originally Posted by roundball View Post
    What are some teams that people will be shocked to see left in/out of the preseason Top 25?
    The whole thing with people putting Dayton in now, presumably because they won a couple tournament games, and I bet voters will too because they eat that stuff up.



  15. #90
    Addict
    Points: 67,582, Level: 80
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 468
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    erikbj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    hiawatha, ia
    Posts
    5,348
    Points
    67,582
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 222
    Given: 61

    Re: Preseason Top 25

    Quote Originally Posted by twocoach View Post
    Hoiberg hasn't had a season where his team has lost LESS than 7 conference games in a season. Will that never change or is he doomed to never improve that? Every season is different. Look at the Big Ten for this year. Michigan isn't as good as they have been. Ohio State is down. Michigan State is down. Nebraska may seriously be the 2nd best team in the conference. Let that sink in. If Iowa does nothing more than stay level they will pick up a few more wins in conference this year.
    My thoughts are: Hoiberg uses the season to build his team to peak in March. However he has ran into two big injuries the past two years (Babb and Niang) during the tourney, both teams had good chances of the final four without the injuries.

    Losing games throughout the season helps build the team up to understand how to over come adversity and builds chemistry and hunger. Going through the Big 12, 16-2 maybe builds up some false sense of dominance??? KU has had a lot of great seasons, but seem to run out of steam in March and disappoints??

    With what Fred had 4 years ago when he started and what has translated into, I'll take whatever strategy he thinks works. Maybe he will turn ISU into a power that can win 30 games during the regular season and still play well in March, time will only tell.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 07:00 PM