Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 255
    Given: 107

Re: Camp Insider: Mitchell Meyers earns starting DE spot

Quote Originally Posted by Rhoadhoused View Post
    I know players have mentioned that there were clicks last year and that those were gone now. And the obvious team cancers are gone as well.

I think we will be lower on disruption this year, but I think our defensive line will have a lot more gap discipline and play with much better pad level. More fundamentally sound. That is how we have been successful on defense under Rhoads and Burnham.

On a note related to attitude, I am excited to see the offense because I think the team has bought into what Mangino is coaching 100% due to his resume and pedigree. I could see a player thinking Messingham was wrong in his 2nd year as an OC, but I doubt any players are questioning Mark Mangino. And when every single player buys into the system, that's when big things happen.
    Maybe us as fans are part of the problem too, because there were a lot of us, including me, that thought Messingham was in way, way over his head, didn't call a good game, and threw his players under the bus when they failed to make ESPN highlight plays to win games.

Maybe Mangino will not turn things around as fast as we hope, but his hiring is definitely a step in the right direction.

I don't think there will be any dissension in the offensive coaching ranks either, which I suspect was the case last year.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 125

Quote Originally Posted by RustShack View Post
    Yep. Attitude goes a long ways. If the atmosphere is bad, you aren't winning.

Last year there were cancers on the team, players didn't buy into some of the coaches, bad luck, a lot of factors.

That's a huge difference between this year and last. Just as big as having a resemblance of an offense(and a good chance of more than that) to keep the defense fresh... Which also helps with depth too or lack off.. But we actually have talented backups at most positions anyways.
    Also at one point we were the youngest team in the nation. You just can't overcome that stuff.

Pro
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 438
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 0

Jensen 3rd??? Interesting

Pro
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 438
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78

The defense has the talent to help bail out the offense like it has many times before. Might not be as experienced as previous years, but it's bigger, stronger, faster, and still great coached. BUT for the first time they should have some type of help from the offense giving them more rest and helping keep up.
    Sounds like what is said every year.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 972
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 187

Quote Originally Posted by rholtgraves View Post
    Sounds like what is said every year.
    Which has been true. Just because we were young, poorly coached, injured, never bad any chemistry last year, and the list goes on.. Doesn't mean the talent isn't there. Last year was a fluke year.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 823
    Given: 478

You are severely overrating those players.

If I were to rank all of the linemen from this year and that year I would go

1. McDonough (SR year, stud)
    2. Morrisey (SR year, stud)
    3. Jensen (SR year, quality starter)
    4. Cousin (SO year, quality starter with stud potential, still young)
    5. Scott (JR year, undersized but an average starter who never got any better)
    6. Myers (SO year, great size but inexperienced. Average starter with quality starter potential)
    7. Taylor (JR year, great size and talent, new to team. Average starter with stud potential)

8. Pierson (JR year, has tons of talent and pass rushing ability, unproven at B12 level but has potential to be a great situational player at the least)
    9. Maggitt (SR year, lacks the talent others had but was experienced. Average to below average starter)
    10. Laing (SR year, lacks the talent others had but was experienced. Average to below average starter)

Then everyone else. Morrisey (true SO), Irving (true SO), Kron (FR), and Jensen (SO) were all very young and inexperienced and essentially got spot duty and were average at best that year.

Simon and Durbin were absolute non factors.

I don't expect Aka, Trent and Garcia to be even good players this year for us backing up the DT and NT spots, but to say that Jenson, Simon, Woods, and Durbin were better than these guys can be for sure is outrageous to me.
    You are seriously ranking several players with no D1 experience over a solid senior starter like Laing? Cousins as a sophomore over Laing as a senior? Maggitte started for multiple years, and you have Pierson over him who hasn't played a snap? I'll have what you are drinking.

Legend
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 853
    Given: 1,460

Iowa's Rushing Totals from 2012: 28 rushes, 68 yards
    KSU's Rushing Totals from 2012 (with Collin Klein): 52 rushes, 177 yards

A lot of that was due to a great LB corps, but a lot of that is also thanks to the 2012 DL. Laing was productive as a senior, 42 tackles and 3 sacks. That's about as good as it gets for interior DL under Rhoads.

I'm hopeful about the DL this year, but it seems like the needle has swung from pessimistic to optimistic, just thanks to a couple weeks of practice. I'm talking about practice!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

You can learn a decent amount about guys before they see the field. You know, similar to a coach setting a depth chart without seeing them in a real game first.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think it's a little easier for people to be optimistic because of the reviews we've been hearing from the coachs. Last year they didn't sound a quarter as happy with the team overall as they have been this year.

Legend
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 853
    Given: 1,460

I think it's a little easier for people to be optimistic because of the reviews we've been hearing from the coachs. Last year they didn't sound a quarter as happy with the team overall as they have been this year.
    You can hear whatever you want to hear in some of those interviews.

All-Star
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 874
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 90

You can learn a decent amount about guys before they see the field. You know, similar to a coach setting a depth chart without seeing them in a real game first.
    Well, somebody has to play. Coach doesn't have the option to abstain when setting the lineup.

We have reason to feel good about Morrissey. Jensen has experience but hardly a standout -- see above, someone has to play. Meyers and Cousins are relative newbies. Then a group of guys with zero experience. They may turn out to be a serviceable unit, but I don't see much reason for optimism at this point. We will all find out soon enough.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 823
    Given: 478

Quote Originally Posted by LutherBlue View Post
    Well, somebody has to play. Coach doesn't have the option to abstain when setting the lineup.

We have reason to feel good about Morrissey. Jensen has experience but hardly a standout -- see above, someone has to play. Meyers and Cousins are relative newbies. Then a group of guys with zero experience. They may turn out to be a serviceable unit, but I don't see much reason for optimism at this point. We will all find out soon enough.
    Exactly. Hoping for the best, just kinda shaking my head at some of the posts. I guess it is easy to assume someone is going to be a solid big 12 player when you haven't seen them have to take the field yet. I do think our DEs have the potential to be solid, but it is a very untested group. I am just hoping the DTs aren't a disaster.

Hard not to be disappointed in the initial results of last year's JC recruiting. One guy pushing for a starting spot out of all of them, and he was the late signee (Taylor). Two are injured and redshirting. One safety washed out and the other is backing up the new starters. MLB is behind freshman Meeks and Seeley still. Was hoping for more of an impact. Hopefully they can continue to improve and Ayeni and Luna come back from injury strong and are future contributors.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 561
    Given: 54

Quote Originally Posted by CloneIce View Post
    Exactly. Hoping for the best, just kinda shaking my head at some of the posts. I guess it is easy to assume someone is going to be a solid big 12 player when you haven't seen them have to take the field yet. I do think our DEs have the potential to be solid, but it is a very untested group. I am just hoping the DTs aren't a disaster.

Hard not to be disappointed in the initial results of last year's JC recruiting. One guy pushing for a starting spot out of all of them, and he was the late signee (Taylor). Two are injured and redshirting. One safety washed out and the other is backing up the new starters. MLB is behind freshman Meeks and Seeley still. Was hoping for more of an impact. Hopefully they can continue to improve and Ayeni and Luna come back from injury strong and are future contributors.
    JUCO's can be a crapshoot. One can look at the flip side and say that perhaps the young talent that we had is actually performing better than expected so that the JUCO's can not overtake them. So two ways of looking at it. IMO, they brought in JUCO's that they thought could start or at least add depth immediately. And as an insurance policy for the young players we had just in case they did not develop that much.

The JUCO's we brought in were sought after by a lot of pretty good programs. So it is not like they were thought to totally suck. They were thought to be contributors. IMO, it is actually a positive thing that the youngsters we have can beat out the JUCO's. It means we are recruiting some pretty good players out of the HS ranks. Is Harris being behind Meeks and Seeley because of his poor play, or is it because Meeks and Seeley have played better? Anyway we should get at least one decent starter out of the three along with a decent backup as well.

Addict
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 667
    Given: 334

Quote Originally Posted by CloneIce View Post
    You are seriously ranking several players with no D1 experience over a solid senior starter like Laing? Cousins as a sophomore over Laing as a senior? Maggitte started for multiple years, and you have Pierson over him who hasn't played a snap? I'll have what you are drinking.
    Just because you're a senior doesn't mean you don't suck. We already know those guys had average to below average years.

Would you rather have Lazard (FR) or Justin Coleman (SR)?

Legend
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 670
    Given: 972

Just because you're a senior doesn't mean you don't suck. We already know those guys had average to below average years.

Would you rather have Lazard (FR) or Justin Coleman (SR)?
    Coleman.