Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 556
    Given: 258

Re: Camp Insider: Mitchell Meyers earns starting DE spot

Quote Originally Posted by LutherBlue View Post
    Agreed. A lot of wishful thinking going on in this thread. The sad thing is our standards are so low ... we get a few guys who just resemble D-1 linemen and it's reason for optimism.
    It's called being an Iowa State fan. Figured you'd know that by now.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 754

Quote Originally Posted by LutherBlue View Post
    Agreed. A lot of wishful thinking going on in this thread. The sad thing is our standards are so low ... we get a few guys who just resemble D-1 linemen and it's reason for optimism.
    Is that because we've had so many guys who didn't resemble D-I linemen, and they did okay--and this seems better?

Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 202
    Given: 103

For the UNI opener in 2011, Patrick Neal weighing in (supposedly) at 250, started at DT with Willie Scott starting at DE, weighing in at 220. I think things are better today.

Starter
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 341
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 128
    Given: 126

Quote Originally Posted by UNIGuy4Cy View Post
    For the UNI opener in 2011, Patrick Neal weighing in (supposedly) at 250, started at DT with Willie Scott starting at DE, weighing in at 220. I think things are better today.
    HAHAHAHAHA I completely forgot about that. Neal was so small! I think we will be fine as long as we don't take injuries on the Dline. We actually have size and athleticism. We just need experience. If the linebackers can show up, and the Dline stays healthy, I think we have a legit defense.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,107
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 170
    Given: 0

The defense has the talent to help bail out the offense like it has many times before. Might not be as experienced as previous years, but it's bigger, stronger, faster, and still great coached. BUT for the first time they should have some type of help from the offense giving them more rest and helping keep up.

Follow this guy on Twitter @Daddy_Rusty

Addict
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 368
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 168
    Given: 32

equally important as the overt weaknesses on the defense, who is going to step up and be really good? You can have weak positions as long as you have guys alongside them who can pick up the slack. When our D-line wasn't very good in 2011 or 2012, Knott and Klein were those type of players. We seem to have 11 decent guys, but really need a few of them to step up and lead the team. I can see it being Morrisey and Jensen, but that's about it. Hopefully L Knott, but he's awfully young yet.

Addict
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 554
    Given: 281

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    It was just 2 years ago.

Scott/Irving
    Laing/Jensen/Simon
    McDonough/Woods/Durbin
    Maggitt/Kron/Morrissey

Maggitt, McDonough, Laing, Simon, and Durbin were seniors. Scott had been productive as a sophomore. Irving and Morrissey were both showing potential.
    You are severely overrating those players.

If I were to rank all of the linemen from this year and that year I would go

1. McDonough (SR year, stud)
    2. Morrisey (SR year, stud)
    3. Jensen (SR year, quality starter)
    4. Cousin (SO year, quality starter with stud potential, still young)
    5. Scott (JR year, undersized but an average starter who never got any better)
    6. Myers (SO year, great size but inexperienced. Average starter with quality starter potential)
    7. Taylor (JR year, great size and talent, new to team. Average starter with stud potential)

8. Pierson (JR year, has tons of talent and pass rushing ability, unproven at B12 level but has potential to be a great situational player at the least)
    9. Maggitt (SR year, lacks the talent others had but was experienced. Average to below average starter)
    10. Laing (SR year, lacks the talent others had but was experienced. Average to below average starter)

Then everyone else. Morrisey (true SO), Irving (true SO), Kron (FR), and Jensen (SO) were all very young and inexperienced and essentially got spot duty and were average at best that year.

Simon and Durbin were absolute non factors.

I don't expect Aka, Trent and Garcia to be even good players this year for us backing up the DT and NT spots, but to say that Jenson, Simon, Woods, and Durbin were better than these guys can be for sure is outrageous to me.

Rookie
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 490
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 26

Quote Originally Posted by Rhoadhoused View Post
    You are severely overrating those players.

If I were to rank all of the linemen from this year and that year I would go

1. McDonough (SR year, stud)
    2. Morrisey (SR year, stud)
    3. Jensen (SR year, quality starter)
    4. Cousin (SO year, quality starter with stud potential, still young)
    5. Scott (JR year, undersized but an average starter who never got any better)
    6. Myers (SO year, great size but inexperienced. Average starter with quality starter potential)
    7. Taylor (JR year, great size and talent, new to team. Average starter with stud potential)

8. Pierson (JR year, has tons of talent and pass rushing ability, unproven at B12 level but has potential to be a great situational player at the least)
    9. Maggitt (SR year, lacks the talent others had but was experienced. Average to below average starter)
    10. Laing (SR year, lacks the talent others had but was experienced. Average to below average starter)

Then everyone else. Morrisey (true SO), Irving (true SO), Kron (FR), and Jensen (SO) were all very young and inexperienced and essentially got spot duty and were average at best that year.

Simon and Durbin were absolute non factors.

I don't expect Aka, Trent and Garcia to be even good players this year for us backing up the DT and NT spots, but to say that Jenson, Simon, Woods, and Durbin were better than these guys can be for sure is outrageous to me.
    I think you flip flopped Laing and Jensen. Jensen really struggled last year, surprised you gave him a quality starter label. Laing had a decent junior and senior year.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenWing View Post
    I think you flip flopped Laing and Jensen. Jensen really struggled last year, surprised you gave him a quality starter label. Laing had a decent junior and senior year.
    I haven't heard anyone else that said Jensen struggled. I'd say he was quality, he started all 12 games. And projecting to this year I would expect him to have a much better year as a 5th year senior. Although I'm sure you could argue that he is only an average starter.

And I really disagree on Laing. Not much else to say. He was not explosive, not disruptive, and undersized at DT.

Rookie
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 490
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 26

Quote Originally Posted by Rhoadhoused View Post
    I haven't heard anyone else that said Jensen struggled. I'd say he was quality, he started all 12 games. And projecting to this year I would expect him to have a much better year as a 5th year senior. Although I'm sure you could argue that he is only an average starter.

And I really disagree on Laing. Not much else to say. He was not explosive, not disruptive, and undersized at DT.
    Yeah, that's right Laing was pretty unimpressive going into his senior year and maybe I was just so surprised that he was somewhat productive I'm giving him too much credit. Maybe the same thing will happen with Jensen.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 514
    Given: 49

. I would say an edge to this year's lines considering the size of the Defensive Ends. And even the DT's have better size as well. Subs are way better this year IMO.

Pro
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 939
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 11

I think something everyone is missing is the apparent attitude of this year's team. By all accounts, morale has never been higher and the general attitude of the team is very positive. This is something that wasn't there last year. And I think will pay dividends.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Yep. Attitude goes a long ways. If the atmosphere is bad, you aren't winning.

Last year there were cancers on the team, players didn't buy into some of the coaches, bad luck, a lot of factors.

That's a huge difference between this year and last. Just as big as having a resemblance of an offense(and a good chance of more than that) to keep the defense fresh... Which also helps with depth too or lack off.. But we actually have talented backups at most positions anyways.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyhart View Post
    I think something everyone is missing is the apparent attitude of this year's team. By all accounts, morale has never been higher and the general attitude of the team is very positive. This is something that wasn't there last year. And I think will pay dividends.
    Quote Originally Posted by RustShack View Post
    Yep. Attitude goes a long ways. If the atmosphere is bad, you aren't winning.

Last year there were cancers on the team, players didn't buy into some of the coaches, bad luck, a lot of factors.

That's a huge difference between this year and last. Just as big as having a resemblance of an offense(and a good chance of more than that) to keep the defense fresh... Which also helps with depth too or lack off.. But we actually have talented backups at most positions anyways.
    I know players have mentioned that there were clicks last year and that those were gone now. And the obvious team cancers are gone as well.

I think we will be lower on disruption this year, but I think our defensive line will have a lot more gap discipline and play with much better pad level. More fundamentally sound. That is how we have been successful on defense under Rhoads and Burnham.

On a note related to attitude, I am excited to see the offense because I think the team has bought into what Mangino is coaching 100% due to his resume and pedigree. I could see a player thinking Messingham was wrong in his 2nd year as an OC, but I doubt any players are questioning Mark Mangino. And when every single player buys into the system, that's when big things happen.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

At this point I expect someone to emerge as an All-Big12 LB, and worst case 2nd team. Whether it's Miller, Harris, Meeks, or Knott.. We will almost always have great LB's under Wally. And our recruiting has been better so you'd think his job is even easier now than it was the previous years.