Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 23,671, Level: 47
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 879
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Thomasrickj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    1,416
    Points
    23,671
    Level
    47
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 273
    Given: 32

    CBS Article on Big 12 Predictions

    http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...rt-predictions

    A lot of love for Lazard! Two of the writers picked Lazard as the "Newcomer Of The Year". I also hope that Solomon is right with his conference prediction. I would be more than happy with 7th place in the league this year. EJ Bibbs selected on the All Big 12 First Team, too.



  2. #2
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 4,631, Level: 19
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    311
    Points
    4,631
    Level
    19
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 22

    Re: CBS Article on Big 12 Predictions

    Nice to see Lazard get some attention. Shocking that he did actually.



  3. #3
    Starter
    Points: 11,473, Level: 32
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 477
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    ArgentCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    692
    Points
    11,473
    Level
    32
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 86
    Given: 58

    Re: CBS Article on Big 12 Predictions

    Its nice to see the national attention but they are just going by the "stars". They just assume that we don't have much at receiver, which is a little surprising because Bundrage did quite a bit already last year. I think many national pundits have vastly underestimated the receiving group. Lazard will be good I just don't think he'll be able to get the stats with all of the other good receivers.



  4. #4
    Recruit
    Points: 3,274, Level: 16
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    DesMoinesCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    93
    Points
    3,274
    Level
    16
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 83

    Re: CBS Article on Big 12 Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by ArgentCy View Post
    Its nice to see the national attention but they are just going by the "stars". They just assume that we don't have much at receiver, which is a little surprising because Bundrage did quite a bit already last year. I think many national pundits have vastly underestimated the receiving group. Lazard will be good I just don't think he'll be able to get the stats with all of the other good receivers.
    Actually, one of the guys who picked Allen as preseason Newcomer of the Year mentioned wide receiver as one of our strengths, but still thinks Allen will make an impact this year. The other thinks with Allen's size (6-foot-4 and 207 pounds) that he'll be able to see the playing field.



  5. #5
    Rookie
    Points: 3,072, Level: 16
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 378
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    JHUNSY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    479
    Points
    3,072
    Level
    16
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 170

    Re: CBS Article on Big 12 Predictions

    There were multiple "Bold Predictions" that had the Big 12 missing the playoffs. A few hinted at the lack of a championship game being why. I really don't see this happening. I think our conference is stronger than 2 or 3 of the Power 5 conferences at the moment.



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 163,614, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    CyFan61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Southeast
    Posts
    8,839
    Points
    163,614
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,222
    Given: 336

    Re: CBS Article on Big 12 Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by JHUNSY View Post
    There were multiple "Bold Predictions" that had the Big 12 missing the playoffs. A few hinted at the lack of a championship game being why. I really don't see this happening. I think our conference is stronger than 2 or 3 of the Power 5 conferences at the moment.
    I think the national perception of the Power 5's football ability is in three separate tiers, but with schools in a certain order within each tier:

    SEC
    ---
    Pac-12
    Big 12
    ---
    ACC
    Big 10



  7. #7
    Starter
    Points: 15,906, Level: 38
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 544
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    SCarolinaCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    853
    Points
    15,906
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 69

    Re: CBS Article on Big 12 Predictions

    Good news is that ISU was not mentioned in the same sentence as KU. Bad news is that ISU wasn't mentioned at all.



  8. #8
    Rookie
    Points: 3,072, Level: 16
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 378
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    JHUNSY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    479
    Points
    3,072
    Level
    16
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 170

    Re: CBS Article on Big 12 Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by CyFan61 View Post
    I think the national perception of the Power 5's football ability is in three separate tiers, but with schools in a certain order within each tier:

    SEC
    ---
    Pac-12
    Big 12
    ---
    ACC
    Big 10
    Pretty much exactly how I had it. If you had to pick one team from each Power 5 to go, who are you picking and which one gets left out? I am thinking Auburn and South Carolina have really easy schedules if Alabama trips and Washington has a schedule in their favor to catch Oregon. Obviously Baylor could knock Oklahoma. Michigan State has the schedule to do it but I see them as overrated every year so I doubt they catch OSU, but I suppose I will go with the following:
    In
    Sec - Alabama
    Big 12 - Oklahoma
    PAC 12 - Oregon

    Toss Up
    Big 10 - Ohio State
    ACC - Florida State

    I just don't see how the Big 12 misses unless we have a strong competitive season where 8 or 9 teams make post season play and everyone wins around the 6-9 mark.


    Last edited by JHUNSY; 08-16-2014 at 12:01 PM.

  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 405,479, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 81.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    60,468
    Points
    405,479
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 787
    Given: 512

    Re: CBS Article on Big 12 Predictions

    If B12 misses, there will be a lot of Monday morning qbs airing the laundry.


    Last edited by Wesley; 08-16-2014 at 12:28 PM.
    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  10. #10
    Recruit
    Points: 2,090, Level: 12
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 60
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    HonkytonkGigolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    81
    Points
    2,090
    Level
    12
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 43

    Re: CBS Article on Big 12 Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by JHUNSY View Post
    Pretty much exactly how I had it. If you had to pick one team from each Power 5 to go, who are you picking and which one gets left out? I am thinking Auburn and South Carolina have really easy schedules if Alabama trips and Washington has a schedule in their favor to catch Oregon. Obviously Baylor could knock Oklahoma. Michigan State has the schedule to do it but I see them as overrated every year so I doubt they catch OSU, but I suppose I will go with the following:
    In
    Sec - Alabama
    Big 12 - Oklahoma
    PAC 12 - Oregon

    Toss Up
    Big 10 - Ohio State
    ACC - Florida State

    I just don't see how the Big 12 misses unless we have a strong competitive season where 8 or 9 teams make post season play and everyone wins around the 6-9 mark.
    I could see the media talking up Ohio St, Florida State, Oregon and Alabama especially if they're paired up as Alabama/Ohio St and Oregon/Florida St. The story lines would be better without Oklahoma. Can Urban Meyer finally dethrone Nick Saban and Alabama? Which high powered offense prevails between Oregon and Florida State? I don't see how swapping Oklahoma into any of these slots improves the story lines unless we're talking about Bob Stoops' less than stellar title game performance. Oklahoma would need to go unbeaten and have one of the other four drop a game or two since they all have a conference championship game to compensate for an early season setback.



  11. #11
    Rookie
    Points: 3,072, Level: 16
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 378
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    JHUNSY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    479
    Points
    3,072
    Level
    16
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 170

    Re: CBS Article on Big 12 Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by HonkytonkGigolo View Post
    I could see the media talking up Ohio St, Florida State, Oregon and Alabama especially if they're paired up as Alabama/Ohio St and Oregon/Florida St. The story lines would be better without Oklahoma. Can Urban Meyer finally dethrone Nick Saban and Alabama? Which high powered offense prevails between Oregon and Florida State? I don't see how swapping Oklahoma into any of these slots improves the story lines unless we're talking about Bob Stoops' less than stellar title game performance. Oklahoma would need to go unbeaten and have one of the other four drop a game or two since they all have a conference championship game to compensate for an early season setback.
    I think Bama OU rematch beats out any other headline by a mile. I don't think Florida State and Ohio State would really be grabbing any big headlines.



  12. #12
    Recruit
    Points: 2,090, Level: 12
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 60
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    HonkytonkGigolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    81
    Points
    2,090
    Level
    12
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 43

    Re: CBS Article on Big 12 Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by JHUNSY View Post
    I think Bama OU rematch beats out any other headline by a mile. I don't think Florida State and Ohio State would really be grabbing any big headlines.
    Urban Meyer is a walking headline. The media loves that guy for some reason. Idk, I just see a larger case against Oklahoma than the other four unless one of those four slip up. If Oklahoma stumbles at all, then it's lights out because they have zero buffer room. The safest team in the playoffs is the SEC champion - they won't be left out for anyone (barring some strange phenomenon where a team with 2+ losses wins the championship). It'll definitely be interesting to see how this years picks shake out since it's the inaugural season and will set the precedent going forward.



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 163,614, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    CyFan61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Southeast
    Posts
    8,839
    Points
    163,614
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,222
    Given: 336

    Re: CBS Article on Big 12 Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    If B12 misses, there will be a lot of Monday morning qbs airing the laundary.
    If the Big 12 misses, especially if an 11-1 Baylor or Oklahoma or whoever is left out as the #5 team, the ESPN talking heads will blabber on and on about how it's due to the lack of a conference championship game and how the Big 12 will be at a disadvantage until they get one of those.

    It doesn't matter whether the CCG and divisions model or the round robin model is "better" than the other - what matters is that every major conference except the Big 12 does it a certain way, so they all have a vested interest in persuading the media types, and eventually the playoff committee members, that their way is better. They are just louder than we are because of their numbers.



  14. #14
    Legend
    Points: 180,515, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Aclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Posts
    12,928
    Points
    180,515
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 184
    Given: 811

    Re: CBS Article on Big 12 Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomasrickj View Post
    http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...rt-predictions

    A lot of love for Lazard! Two of the writers picked Lazard as the "Newcomer Of The Year". I also hope that Solomon is right with his conference prediction. I would be more than happy with 7th place in the league this year. EJ Bibbs selected on the All Big 12 First Team, too.
    I don't. I hope he's wrong, and we finish higher than he predicts.




    Part of this fanbase is like the parable of the blind men and the elephant.

    Who knew?


  15. #15
    Recruit
    Points: 3,274, Level: 16
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    DesMoinesCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    93
    Points
    3,274
    Level
    16
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 83

    Re: CBS Article on Big 12 Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by CyFan61 View Post
    I think the national perception of the Power 5's football ability is in three separate tiers, but with schools in a certain order within each tier:

    SEC
    ---
    Pac-12
    Big 12
    ---
    ACC
    Big 10
    I would rank the Power 5 football conferences:
    1. SEC
    2. Big XII
    3. Pac 12
    4. ACC
    5. Big 10

    That is not a bias against the Big 10. The Big 10 bowl records in recent years is abysmal, and that's a vast understatement. It is very common for the Big 10 to lose every single bowl game or maybe win one or two tops most seasons.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports Net
  • BASKETBALL: Iowa State vs. Alabama
  • November 24, 2014
  • 08:30 PM