Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 474
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 260
    Given: 361

Re: I would love to sit down with Mangino....

Quote Originally Posted by Beyerball View Post
    It's an interesting debate that has yet to be played out. It's obvious that CPR has had tougher schedules overall than Dmac did, IMO. I also think that CPR has put a product on the field that is far more competitive in big games than Dmac ever was. CPR teams also seem to perform better on the road too. WTS, there isn't a CPR team that could beat the 99-2000 team. Nor the 2001 or prob 2002 team either. CPR has had better defenses than Mac but none of those defenses could stop those teams.
    You hit the nail on the head here. This team and coach believe they can win every game. it is apparent on the road and in big games. If people can't see it, they are not remembering how badly we used to get, in DMac's words, slobberknocked.

I am not sure we are going to be a 9-10 win team in this league, but not many programs will, but we are getting better. I like the focus on Defense and think Wally had done a very good job against very very tough competition.

“Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun.”
    Alan Wilson Watts

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 302
    Given: 1,132

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    All great points.

I agree especially with what you said about where the ISU program was at when DMac took it over compared with how it was when CPR took it over. CPR came in to a MUCH, MUCH better situation.

Had DMac never come to Ames, it scares me to think where the ISU football program would be right now? We may have always been a team like we had under Walden and Criner... and might still be like that. And if we were, I wonder what our facilities would look like now when nobody was supporting the program at all? Scary to think about.

But yet, there are some who will only hate on DMac. Not me. He turned this program at least into something respectable, which wasn't easy by any means.
    link to people that hate on DMac. Thanks.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 514
    Given: 49

I do agree that it was time for DMac to go when he did. Ticket sales, for whatever reason, were declining and JP had to something to sell "hope" again.

But DMac turned this program around. But after a long while, it just became stale and interest started to wane. It's just a cycle.

DMac finished his last 3 seasons going 7-5, 7-5, and 4-8. If Rhoads' last 3 seasons right now were 7-5, 7-5, and 4-8.... we'd all be happy as can be and ticket sales would even be higher. But that is only because CPR is still relatively "new" here and we're all still giving him a chance.

Rhoads' last 3 seasons have been 6-7, 6-7, and 3-9.... yet everyone is still somewhat excited and ticket sales are still sky high.

It's interesting how things work. 2-3 more years of not going to a bowl game though, and people will be running Rhoads out of town as well. It's just the nature of the beast.
    The reason we would all be happy would be that those records would be attained with a schedule that was in the Top 10 of difficulty. The 2004 team and the 2005 team did not face very difficult schedules. IMO, the 2005 team underachieved with that 7-5 record. They should have won at least 9 maybe 10 games.

I just don't understand what is driving you to continually post negatively about hypotheticals. Maybe we should all post things like......"Fred's done a great job so far with transfers but everyone will go tired of his McDermott like records when he doesn't get those transfers anymore and recruiting dries up."

IMO, that kind of talk is just worthless negative drivel. And the intent is meant to cast a negative attitude towards CPR and the program. So UNTIL those predictions of futility actually would take place, I would ask you to just STFU because you and others negative comments harm the program rather than help. And it is obvious you have some issues of animosity towards CPR.

All-Star
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,186
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 12

Quote Originally Posted by bigsag View Post
    Seriously, you never would want to sit down with an actual football coach and review film of a game. Within ten minutes, it would become apparent to you, that you actually know nothing about the game of football. A coach would point out things that you likely have NEVER even noticed. You may even decide that you know so little that you conclude that perhaps you should no longer post your football opinions on CF. None of us want that.........
    I would love for somebody to link one of our games (any one of the three phases, any coach, etc.) with a video done of that on YouTube or something, just to see what it is like.

I've seen similar things by Hoiberg on how he runs his offense, and it blew me away but it was fascinating. Something similar from the football side would be pretty cool, Mangino or otherwise.

Recruit
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 154
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 67

Trust me, I know my ISU football history. I graduated from ISU in 1991. There were football games I attended while at ISU where I swear there were about 50 people total in the upper decks.

But I will not come on here and post rosy statements after we get our rear ends handed to us by UNI. Sorry.
    Still on UNI???? They are very competitive in their football program, I would rather get beat by UNI then some other one FCS school. Stop living in the past! that's what haunts you for the rest of your life is when you look back.

Last edited by WrestlerJJE; 08-17-2014 at 01:44 PM.