Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 95
  1. #31
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 3,037, Level: 15
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    340
    Points
    3,037
    Level
    15
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 125

    Re: I would love to sit down with Mangino....

    Quote Originally Posted by CYCLNST8 View Post
    The honeymoon will be over soon, and some idiot posters will be calling for his head after three games. Installing a new offense is never easy. If he can make us competitive right off the bat, it'll be the shortest stay for a coordinator in Cyclone football history.
    You make it sound like we are switching from the wishbone; The learning curve is not that big. Mangino is actually cutting the play book from past years.



  2. #32
    Addict
    Points: 211,730, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    CyDude16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Heads in the sky
    Posts
    9,771
    Points
    211,730
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 341
    Given: 1,248

    Re: I would love to sit down with Mangino....

    And he, as would all of us would hate to have a sit down with clone dude.



  3. #33
    Addict
    Points: 180,825, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    clonedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    7,338
    Points
    180,825
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 341
    Given: 0

    Re: I would love to sit down with Mangino....

    Quote Originally Posted by CyDude16 View Post
    And he, as would all of us would hate to have a sit down with clone dude.
    Do you get paid to just insult others? What a life you must lead. How fun.



  4. #34
    Addict
    Points: 211,730, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    CyDude16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Heads in the sky
    Posts
    9,771
    Points
    211,730
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 341
    Given: 1,248

    Re: I would love to sit down with Mangino....

    Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    Do you get paid to just insult others? What a life you must lead. How fun.
    My life is pretty great, thanks.



  5. #35
    Addict
    Points: 180,825, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    clonedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    7,338
    Points
    180,825
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 341
    Given: 0

    Re: I would love to sit down with Mangino....

    Quote Originally Posted by CyDude16 View Post
    My life is pretty great, thanks.
    Have you ever thought that maybe you just think your life is great because all you do is put down other people? That could give one a false sense of greatness I suppose?



  6. #36
    Addict
    Points: 211,730, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    CyDude16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Heads in the sky
    Posts
    9,771
    Points
    211,730
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 341
    Given: 1,248

    Re: I would love to sit down with Mangino....

    Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    Have you ever thought that maybe you just think your life is great because all you do is put down other people? That could give one a false sense of greatness I suppose?
    Nope, its great cause I have a job I enjoy, fun friends, do a lot of different activities, and a great family.



  7. #37
    Addict
    Points: 180,825, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    clonedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    7,338
    Points
    180,825
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 341
    Given: 0

    Re: I would love to sit down with Mangino....

    Quote Originally Posted by CyDude16 View Post
    Nope, its great cause I have a job I enjoy, fun friends, do a lot of different activities, and a great family.
    You have friends? Do you put them down and insult them too? Just curious.

    I don't know what I've ever posted on this website to draw such hatred? I guess some don't like people who are honest in voicing their opinions about ISU athletics? I don't know? Some think I'm only negative, but that isn't true. I live in reality. And in reality, there hasn't been a whole lot to be real positive about regarding ISU football in the last few years.



  8. #38
    Starter
    Points: 11,166, Level: 31
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 84
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    IA City
    Posts
    876
    Points
    11,166
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 0

    Re: I would love to sit down with Mangino....

    I know this will get lost in the end of this post but let me just say that our qbs running the ball as much as they did wasn't entirely Mess fault. They were executing the QB OPTION read. And it seemed like 90% of the time SR decided to run it himself...and I know the play is based on whether u see the DE crash toward the rb but there were many times that SR should have given the ball up too. It's a double edged sword in that Mess is calling a play that could involve our qb running the ball and yet the decision is up to the qb.

    I would be perfectly fine with never ever seeing the qb read option ever again. You can replace this option with a two back set and misdirection running which I think we are installing this year. Only disadvantage is that it takes out a wr in the formation.



  9. #39
    Addict
    Points: 211,730, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    CyDude16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Heads in the sky
    Posts
    9,771
    Points
    211,730
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 341
    Given: 1,248

    Re: I would love to sit down with Mangino....

    Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    You have friends? Do you put them down and insult them too? Just curious.

    I don't know what I've ever posted on this website to draw such hatred? I guess some don't like people who are honest in voicing their opinions about ISU athletics? I don't know? Some think I'm only negative, but that isn't true. I live in reality. And in reality, there hasn't been a whole lot to be real positive about regarding ISU football in the last few years.
    Being condescending about how I only insult, with an insult? Makes sense.

    and no you do not live in reality.

    its just a game though. Speaking of sit downs and getting back on topic, I'd like to have a beer with Rhoads.



  10. #40
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 45,862, Level: 66
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,088
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    heitclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Malvern, IA
    Posts
    4,838
    Points
    45,862
    Level
    66
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 179
    Given: 337

    Re: I would love to sit down with Mangino....

    Quote Originally Posted by cmjh10 View Post
    I think people will be in for a rude awakening if they think this offense will be as good as they think. If you look at teams that get new OC's who run a different system, the first season isnt as good as some thought it would be, but the second season is usually where the lightbulbs come on.
    This is a myth these days, everyone runs some form a spread offense, heck most of these kids ran it in high school. Look at Texas Tech, they put up bigger numbers than we have in decades with a brand new coach/oc and 2 true frosh QB's, one of whom was a walk on. So it can be done, in our conference, if you have a quality coach.



  11. #41
    Starter
    Points: 11,166, Level: 31
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 84
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    IA City
    Posts
    876
    Points
    11,166
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 0

    Re: I would love to sit down with Mangino....

    Quote Originally Posted by CYCLNST8 View Post
    The honeymoon will be over soon, and some idiot posters will be calling for his head after three games. Installing a new offense is never easy. If he can make us competitive right off the bat, it'll be the shortest stay for a coordinator in Cyclone football history.
    Mangino will be here at least two years, at least. Not only did CPR give him a chance at redemption but also gave his son invaluable experience at a major fbs school. Mangino will not be bolting soon if at all.

    edit: on a side note, what we will find that we haven't had ever in an OC is a guy who can dissect a defense like no other and bring pain to expose what the defense is doing. You watch his ku teams and MM would just punish you doing a couple of things until u switched to stopping it then he would change it up again.


    Last edited by Beyerball; 08-16-2014 at 11:25 AM.

  12. #42
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 39,532, Level: 61
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 818
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience Points
    ThatllDoCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    3,701
    Points
    39,532
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 283
    Given: 383

    Re: I would love to sit down with Mangino....

    I am not sure if the play calling was that bad, or we just did not do anything well. I expect Mangino to have a much more effective offense through execution. It won't work every time, but will some times and that will be an improvement. We'll move up a couple of spots in scoring offense in my opinion.

    With Herman's Offense you need a great athlete at QB at the D1 Level. We just never had that guy. Hated that offense for that reason.


    “Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun.”
    Alan Wilson Watts

  13. #43
    Addict
    Points: 180,825, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    clonedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    7,338
    Points
    180,825
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 341
    Given: 0

    Re: I would love to sit down with Mangino....

    Quote Originally Posted by Beyerball View Post
    I know this will get lost in the end of this post but let me just say that our qbs running the ball as much as they did wasn't entirely Mess fault. They were executing the QB OPTION read. And it seemed like 90% of the time SR decided to run it himself...and I know the play is based on whether u see the DE crash toward the rb but there were many times that SR should have given the ball up too. It's a double edged sword in that Mess is calling a play that could involve our qb running the ball and yet the decision is up to the qb.

    I would be perfectly fine with never ever seeing the qb read option ever again. You can replace this option with a two back set and misdirection running which I think we are installing this year. Only disadvantage is that it takes out a wr in the formation.
    Thanks for getting us back on topic!

    I somewhat agree about Sam "choosing" to run it himself too much, but he was taking what the defense was giving him for the most part.

    Against UNI, they just crashed their DE's on our RB nearly every time. It was a GREAT strategy. They basically said... "we'll take our chances with your QB running to beat us versus allowing your talented RB's to beat us." And if you run your QB every time, we are going to punish him too.

    It was a great strategy. Why let Wimberly beat you? Richardson is LOT less dangerous.

    From the limited practice videos I've seen on cyclones.com, I'm seeing a lot more 2 back sets with Wimberly and Nealy on either side of the QB. Then we either hand it off or fake it to one of them up the middle, and if we fake it, then we run an option play around the end with the QB and the other RB, with the QB usually just pitching it immediately to the RB.

    I like that a LOT better than the QB all by himself running around the edge after faking the hand off.



  14. #44
    Addict
    Points: 180,825, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    clonedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    7,338
    Points
    180,825
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 341
    Given: 0

    Re: I would love to sit down with Mangino....

    Quote Originally Posted by CyDude16 View Post
    Being condescending about how I only insult, with an insult? Makes sense.

    and no you do not live in reality.

    its just a game though. Speaking of sit downs and getting back on topic, I'd like to have a beer with Rhoads.
    Now if I was you I'd post... "Why would Rhoads want to sit down with someone like you?". But I don't do that.

    And yes.... I will always stand by my statement that football is just a stupid game. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy it, and like discussing it. But it is completely meaningless.

    If you knew what kind of medical condition I struggle with on a daily basis, you too would realize how meaningless football really is. I probably shouldn't be alive, but I'm VERY lucky to be. So I cherish ever single day, and every single breath I have.

    But enough about me. I don't want anyone's pity. But I will always stand by that statement about football. Sorry.



  15. #45
    Addict
    Points: 211,730, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    CyDude16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Heads in the sky
    Posts
    9,771
    Points
    211,730
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 341
    Given: 1,248

    Re: I would love to sit down with Mangino....

    Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    Now if I was you I'd post... "Why would Rhoads want to sit down with someone like you?". But I don't do that.

    And yes.... I will always stand by my statement that football is just a stupid game. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy it, and like discussing it. But it is completely meaningless.

    If you knew what kind of medical condition I struggle with on a daily basis, you too would realize how meaningless football really is. I probably shouldn't be alive, but I'm VERY lucky to be. So I cherish ever single day, and every single breath I have.

    But enough about me. I don't want anyone's pity. But I will always stand by that statement about football. Sorry.
    thats fine if you want to say that. No skin off my back, not going to take it like you do. And won't see me vaguely talk about something going on personally yet say you don't want pity. Interesting.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports Net
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. Texas Tech
  • November 22, 2014
  • 02:30 PM