Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 215
    Given: 127

Re: Fred Hoiberg ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

I always wonder the accounting on these....meaning, when folks say they donate, do they?

When my fb feed was filled with folks jumping into lakes in the cold weather, I thought the same thing...I don't think a lot of them probably cut a check.

All-Star
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 951
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 271
    Given: 31

Quote Originally Posted by CapnCy View Post
    I always wonder the accounting on these....meaning, when folks say they donate, do they?

When my fb feed was filled with folks jumping into lakes in the cold weather, I thought the same thing...I don't think a lot of them probably cut a check.
    The whole premise of it is really dumb. When people do the ice bucket challenge they're basically saying "I'm not going to donate, but I'm going to call out three people and they have the choice of doing the challenge within 24 hours or donating $100 to research (in most cases, they don't even mention the disease)." People almost always choose to dump a bucket of ice water on their heads instead of actually donating money. I remember seeing three or four videos in a row and not one of them said "ALS" or "Lou Gehrig's Disease" once. I wanted to punch a hole in my computer screen.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 442
    Given: 953

Donations to the ALS Association are up by a massive amount though. So the publicity is definitely helping.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 847
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 128

Quote Originally Posted by CapnCy View Post

I saw a story this morning and I think it said that in the last 2 weeks they've raised over 5 times what they raised during the same time period last year because of this thing.

Pro
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,316
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Thomasrickj View Post
    The whole premise of it is really dumb. When people do the ice bucket challenge they're basically saying "I'm not going to donate, but I'm going to call out three people and they have the choice of doing the challenge within 24 hours or donating $100 to research (in most cases, they don't even mention the disease)." People almost always choose to dump a bucket of ice water on their heads instead of actually donating money. I remember seeing three or four videos in a row and not one of them said "ALS" or "Lou Gehrig's Disease" once. I wanted to punch a hole in my computer screen.
    ....except for the 150,000 people that have donated $5.5M in the past few weeks. why don't you donate instead of punching your computer.

More than a week after the Ice Bucket Challenge first went viral, people keep dumping ice on their heads, and the ALS Association keeps collecting money. The organization’s national office has received $5.5 million for Lou Gehrig’s disease research since July 29, compared to $32,000 in the same period last year.
    ALS Association spokeswoman Carrie Munk said earlier this week that the organization is “thrilled and completely amazed” at the sum they continue to raise and the public awareness the campaign has generated. Nearly 150,000 new donors have given to the cause as of Thursday.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 74.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,255
    Given: 560

Well, you can look at it that way...another way to look at it is that they could do nothing at all and no one would ever talk about ALS unless they're affected by it, because honestly, that's what is going on most of the time. It's not changing the world, no, but it's at least getting ALS in people's minds for the ones that mention the cause. I guess if you want to get mad about the ones that don't, that's on you, but you can also look at the good ones and say that it's better than nothing...and the ones that don't do anything...they're no different that most people's normal lives, so it's not like they're hurting the cause.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by brokenloginagain View Post
    ....except for the 150,000 people that have donated $5.5M in the past few weeks. why don't you donate instead of punching your computer.

More than a week after the Ice Bucket Challenge first went viral, people keep dumping ice on their heads, and the ALS Association keeps collecting money. The organization’s national office has received $5.5 million for Lou Gehrig’s disease research since July 29, compared to $32,000 in the same period last year.
    ALS Association spokeswoman Carrie Munk said earlier this week that the organization is “thrilled and completely amazed” at the sum they continue to raise and the public awareness the campaign has generated. Nearly 150,000 new donors have given to the cause as of Thursday.
    I actually did make a donation, thank you very much. Until today I hadn't seen any numbers about this challenge actually raising money. I'm glad it's actually working. The reason I said I wanted to punch my computer was because of the people doing the challenge that don't even mention the disease. It's aggravating and defeats the whole idea.

Starter
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 991
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 6

I know some people, including myself, who have participated in the challenge, and donated. I decided to donate $1 for every like I got within 24 hrs. Ended up equaling nearly the same if I hadn't participated, plus my branch of nominations has also grown with each of them doing the same.

Pro
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,017
    Overall activity: 87.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,585
    Given: 944

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbuk View Post
    I love how he doesn't know what to do with his hands in any commercial/video he's in.
    I transcribed Fred's speech; the bold words are when he gestured with his hands...

I'm Fred Hoiberg, and I've been called out by assistant coach Charlie Henry to participate the ALS ice bucket challenge. ALS is something that's very close to me. I lost a very good friend this past year, Frank Ginello (sp?), who I went to Ames High School with, to Freidreich's Ataxia, a disease that's very similar to ALS. Also, several years back, Coach Orr lost a daughter to ALS. So I came back to my alma mater, Ames High School, to participate in this challenge. The two people that I'm going to call out are the second and third best players ever to play at Ames High School: Harrison Barnes, and Doug McDermott.

If you take the first letters from each of those words, you get FCAAVFAFACSPSE, which is an anagram for Vespa Casca Faff, a Latin phrase meaning "Cheick Diallo will play here in 2015".

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by roundball View Post
    I transcribed Fred's speech; the bold words are when he gestured with his hands...

I'm Fred Hoiberg, and I've been called out by assistant coach Charlie Henry to participate the ALS ice bucket challenge. ALS is something that's very close to me. I lost a very good friend this past year, Frank Ginello (sp?), who I went to Ames High School with, to Freidreich's Ataxia, a disease that's very similar to ALS. Also, several years back, Coach Orr lost a daughter to ALS. So I came back to my alma mater, Ames High School, to participate in this challenge. The two people that I'm going to call out are the second and third best players ever to play at Ames High School: Harrison Barnes, and Doug McDermott.

If you take the first letters from each of those words, you get FCAAVFAFACSPSE, which is an anagram for Vespa Casca Faff, a Latin phrase meaning "Cheick Diallo will play here in 2015".
    I think you're onto something! Pure genius!

Pro
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,017
    Overall activity: 87.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,585
    Given: 944

I think you're onto something! Pure genius!
    All praise be to Fred.

Pro
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 426
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 234

Are we the luckiest fans in the world!!

Pro
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,088
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 92
    Given: 56

Im just glad we got to see hoiberg in a wet tshirt again

Recruit
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 190
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points3 months registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbuk View Post
    I love how he doesn't know what to do with his hands in any commercial/video he's in.
    You beat me to it. Ricky Bobby all the way. But other than that it was GOLD

Rookie
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 392
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 11

I came back to my alma mater? I hope he got a cheap flight