Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 10

Re: QB decision to come on Monday

Quote Originally Posted by Goclones1727 View Post
    The thing that frustrated me with Sam, is prematurely tucking away and running. He'd go through one maybe two progressions and if it wasn't there he'd take off. Grant was much better at going through all his reads last year and giving the receivers a chance to break open. If Sam can stay in the pocket this year and not get happy feet, I think he will be the better option at QB.
    Well when your receivers cannot get open, and your OL breaks down after 2 seconds, yea you're going to have to run, or take a sack.

I don't blame Sammy one bit, and honestly he was rather efficient in getting yards when he did.

Prospect
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 87
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 6

Go State!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 368
    Given: 112

^^^^^
    Hard hitting analysis.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 194
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 185
    Given: 180

Quote Originally Posted by DuckDynastyCy View Post
    Easier said than done when your OL doesn't give you even 2 seconds to set your feet in the pocket...by that time the defense was on top of him. Not enough time to look downfield. With MM, our QB's will be protected before the ball is snapped to some extent, by the system and the play calling. Mark it down.

When Sam consistently get 3-4 seconds to throw and starts missing throws, THAT is the time to blame the QB. Not when he is getting murdered.
    I see what you did there. Because the coordinators name is Mark, right?

Starter
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 586
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 46

Quote Originally Posted by TBT View Post
    Well when your receivers cannot get open, and your OL breaks down after 2 seconds, yea you're going to have to run, or take a sack.

I don't blame Sammy one bit, and honestly he was rather efficient in getting yards when he did.
    That's what a lot of posters keep saying in defense of SR, but there's obviously a bit of truth to the criticism when Sturdy, Mangino...and SR himself have all mentioned the need for him to sit in the pocket longer instead of taking off so quickly when he feels the pressure.

And this idea that he was efficient in gaining yards with his feet...really depends on your definition of efficient. Sitting on the bench due to injury from all the beating he was taking from running so often is not very efficient in my book.

That said, SR, especially having evolved as a QB, is our best bet imo.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 765
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 247

Quote Originally Posted by TBT View Post

This is really an excuse for Sam that people need to stop using, its not relevant. It's a cop out for an argument that doesn't need to be made anyway.

Rohach didn't feel the need to take off as much as Sam and he played behind the same Oline. I'm not knocking Sam for anything he did, he's a playmaker who is going to continue to tuck and run vs reading his progressions and finding an open receiver. Rohach showed he's more likely to stick in there and make a throw. Neither is a better or worse option than the other, its just the type of QB each are. Sam will still be more likely to make a play with his feet when things break down, that's not going to change and I wouldn't want it to, its what makes him effective.

Legend
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 307
    Given: 1,188

Quote Originally Posted by cloneu View Post
    Does anybody know if Waye Terry is still in the running?
    THE NEXT SENECA!!1!

While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Legend
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 467
    Given: 637

Quote Originally Posted by heitclone View Post
    This is really an excuse for Sam that people need to stop using, its not relevant. It's a cop out for an argument that doesn't need to be made anyway.

Rohach didn't feel the need to take off as much as Sam and he played behind the same Oline. I'm not knocking Sam for anything he did, he's a playmaker who is going to continue to tuck and run vs reading his progressions and finding an open receiver. Rohach showed he's more likely to stick in there and make a throw. Neither is a better or worse option than the other, its just the type of QB each are. Sam will still be more likely to make a play with his feet when things break down, that's not going to change and I wouldn't want it to, its what makes him effective.
    What is overblown the frequency of SR tucking and running too soon. The biggest issue with Sam running is how often we ran the read option with him.

Legend
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 307
    Given: 1,188

Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    The biggest issue with Sam running is how often we ran the read option with him.
    My favorite was the way towards the end of the season The Mess would bring him in on 3rd and short for no other reason than to run the read option. Seriously.

In fact I randomly watched Ice Bowl vs KU last night on DVR and there was a point in the game and IIRC it was the first time Sam played all game that we had the ball inside the KU 5 yard line and Sam replaces Grant JUST TO RUN THE READ OPTION which of course got blown up because Sam Freaking Richardson had become the "running quarterback" in The Mess's mind. LOL.

What a Mess.

Last edited by The_Architect; 08-15-2014 at 04:00 PM.
    While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Addict
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 388
    Given: 313

Quote Originally Posted by ExCyment View Post
    The poll results surprised me because based on this message board and the vocal minority I thought most hated Richardson. I think Sam is the best quarterback we've seen in at least a decade. Grant may be good as well, but I don't think it is his time yet. Another poster asked about the moped incident. Does anyone know the extent and nature of the injuries? I've never heard other than Sam was hurt worse than was let on. If we curb stomp NDSU 7+ wins is possible. If not, could be a long year.

There is always a vocal minority that hates anything posted on CF, especially as we are losing games. As I recall, there has always been plenty of negative for any QB for a long time.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Goclones1727 View Post
    The thing that frustrated me with Sam, is prematurely tucking away and running. He'd go through one maybe two progressions and if it wasn't there he'd take off. Grant was much better at going through all his reads last year and giving the receivers a chance to break open. If Sam can stay in the pocket this year and not get happy feet, I think he will be the better option at QB.
    One of my earliest recollections of Sam was seeing him trying to stiff arm a LB to get some extra yards while breaking a run. I like the spunk, but slide Sam, slide.

Starter
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 586
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 46

Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    What is overblown the frequency of SR tucking and running too soon. The biggest issue with Sam running is how often we ran the read option with him.
    Really? Is that so? Wonder why it has been a point of emphasis in his growth as a QB. Wonder why he himself made it his point of emphasis himself in his interview on a recent CFTV interview, as did Sturdy. Wonder if his developed habit of hanging in the pocket longer has anything to do with his recent and fairly unexpected rise to probable starter.

Last edited by FanatiClone; 08-15-2014 at 04:32 PM.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think the no huddle offense may be one of our best weapons against NDSU because it will limit the substitutions and positioning of their defense on the field. Then, we just need a QB to make the quick strike. I'd love to see short passes in the middle and away from the MIKE all day long.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clonedogg View Post
    ...and give one guy a majority of the reps with the 'ones' for chemistry.

This was always the chorus from footballintexas about Barnett.

Legend
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 161
    Given: 607

Quote Originally Posted by KMAC_ATTACK View Post
    I like both the kids that are leading the competition - Sam or Grant. That said, if sam is the starter, i hope that Mangino does not call 23 running plays for Sam against NDSU or we will be seeing Grant!

Secondly - Sam being the starter may be why Montgomery showing signs in the right direction makes sense being they played HS ball together.

Good Luck to both, i for one will not boo either, both can lead our team not only to wins but whichever has a better grasp of offense has a LOT of tools to work with on the O side!!!!
    Messingham never called 23 running plays for SR. You're counting sacks and the times he was flushed out of the pocket--or just plan ran on his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    When the moped accident happened last year, was not the talk of a bad ankle?
    He also hurt the ankle, I believe on a hit b UNI.

Quote Originally Posted by heitclone View Post

Umm....about that. Rohach played behind "the same" oline? Uh, right--after most of the starters returned, and all played together the last few games.

And as far as Sam scramblng out of the pocket, what people are saying is exactly the same thing. It's a combination. Once he was pounded so much, DL were immediately breaking past the guards inside, he got in the bad habit of running early. He hadn't done that earlier--see KU and WVU. Now he has needed to relearn that response--and not only because his protection is better. Sounds as if he's done it.

Explanations aren't always as simple as some people want to make them.

Last edited by Aclone; 08-15-2014 at 04:42 PM.

Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)