Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 120
  1. #31
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 54,440, Level: 72
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,110
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    4,094
    Points
    54,440
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 556
    Given: 257

    Re: QB decision to come on Monday

    My guess would be Richardson. From the sounds of it he's improved a lot of areas of his game that were deficiencies last season.



  2. #32
    Prospect
    Points: 2,749, Level: 14
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Posts
    29
    Points
    2,749
    Level
    14
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: QB decision to come on Monday

    Maybe I'm reading something into it, but in the interviews with Nealy and Wimberly one of them said something to the effect that when they were both in the back field together it really created issues, and with Sam in there you had 3 running options; he immediately rephrased and stated that Grant could run as well. It was pretty clear that 3 man backfield with Sam was an issue for a defense in his mind.



  3. #33
    Legend
    Points: 277,857, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    chuckd4735's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Posts
    14,978
    Points
    277,857
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,055
    Given: 208

    Re: QB decision to come on Monday

    Watching todays interview it seems pretty obvious that CPR is higher on Same then he is Grant. Wonder if Mangino is in the same boat?



  4. #34
    Starter
    Points: 8,947, Level: 28
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 403
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    IA City
    Posts
    833
    Points
    8,947
    Level
    28
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 0

    Re: QB decision to come on Monday

    That's untrue I just listened to their podcast today. Barely even mentioned Lanning and they debated Rohachs game experience with SR and concluded by saying that all things being equal to chose GR as he's younger and would have more time to develop. Not sure why the defense of Hines? I didn't agree with their logic. No he's not clueless but. Their podcast rubbed me the wrong way, both of them are the most negative toward this team on podcasts. You would think that ISU has 2 returning starters listening to them.



  5. #35
    Starter
    Points: 14,090, Level: 36
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 760
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    DuckDynastyCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    657
    Points
    14,090
    Level
    36
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 121
    Given: 347

    Re: QB decision to come on Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by FanatiClone View Post
    I agree with you in general, however, even Sam has attributed his growth as a QB to the fact that he is hanging in the pocket longer and letting the play develop beyond the line of scrimmage as opposed to running as soon as he feels the heat. That is an indication that many of those runs last year were SR's decision, not our inept OC's. Word I got was that was Mangino's hangup with SR, and it began as soon as spring camp got underway. It's really good to hear of Sam's development and fitting into the system cuz I think Sam is a more versatile QB and gives us a better chance of winning some big games.

    I have to take issue with what is in bold, being a former QB. Honestly, I think what we saw with Sam last year taking off was a natural reaction to not having enough time to set up in the pocket. Another thing I have always noticed about the old offense, was the combination of routes that our WR's and TE's ran did not set up any of the others to get open. The combination of routes did not compliment each other in any way, they were just based on spacing. They seemed like a lot of 1 on 1 matchups where our WR's were running Fly's downfield or rounded off shorter routes, trying to break free..I'm sure it is not that simple.

    However, remembering back to Cotton's old offense when Brett Meyer was QB, the routes were not overly complex and were based much more on timing, so the QB already knew before the ball was snapped where he was going, where the gap in the defense would be from his pre snap read, how many steps he dropped back, and knew when to get rid of the ball to get to the receiver on timing. It's as simple as knowing a WR is running a 12 yard post/post hook/flag, knows when the break will be and delivering the ball on timing. I never sensed that with the old Herman offense and many times, our receivers never got separation to allow the QB to deliver it anyway, and why Sam took off running along with an avalanche of opposing defenders closing in on him within 2-3 seconds. Did anyone else notice that? I could never figure out what the WRs routes were trying to do, but they never seemed to criss cross, set up anyone up/rub to spring another guy open IMO. At least I never saw it. When we would get sacked, I would watch where the WR's were and they were running downfield away from the QB with a defender draped all over them. No where for the QB to go. Topped with the lack of time from the OL to throw the ball and receivers rarely getting open, and you quickly ruin a QB's confidence, and see him flush the pocket, eyes go down to the ground instead of downfield etc. etc.

    What I remember about the old KU routes (and Barney Cotton's old offense with Blythe/Meyer) were that they were less complex, based more on timing and the QB could almost know where to go with the ball before the ball is snapped and that alone will give a QB confidence. He doesn't have to ad lib as much. He doesn't have to scan the field "waiting" for someone to get open, he knows to take a 3-5 or 7 step drop and get rid of the ball at a preset time, or throw it away. However, if the Red Sea Opens up in front of you then take off. Last year Sam was taking off to Survive, which is a whole different deal than flushing before he should have. If you don't have the time in the pocket and don't have time to even throw it away, the only thing you naturally do is to run it, and then he got drilled. Sam didn't do that in 2012 in the KU game. The reason why is that OL gave him time.

    I believe we will see the new offense with older school, simple, running routes and more WRs getting separation, the ball delivered to an open spot where his guy gets it or no one gets it on the sideline. KU ran those routes (as simple as many high school routes are) to perfection. Even the OL knows the routes if they pay attention to the call, and know if they need to block for 2 seconds, 3 seconds or 4 (on longer developing plays). All synchronized and everyone on the same page. Simpler the better.


    Last edited by DuckDynastyCy; 08-14-2014 at 09:01 PM.
    "winners never quit; quitters never win"

  6. #36
    Addict
    Points: 76,160, Level: 85
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 390
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    dualthreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Alumni road
    Posts
    6,791
    Points
    76,160
    Level
    85
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 168
    Given: 32

    Re: QB decision to come on Monday

    Both QB's will be more suited to run the ball this year, regardless. Both have put on significant muscle and assumed strength. Your QB can run the ball 20+ times per game if he's durable enough. (Colin Klein, etc.)

    I'm hoping that our QB's don't run the ball nearly that much-- and certainly don't take nearly as many hits-- but it's something to keep in mind.



  7. #37
    Pro
    Points: 57,799, Level: 74
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 751
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    2,190
    Points
    57,799
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 487

    Re: QB decision to come on Monday

    As long as the OC makes this decision, I don't care who it is.


    Last edited by kilgore_trout; 08-14-2014 at 08:58 PM.
    I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all.

  8. #38
    Addict
    Points: 154,900, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    CyFan61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Southeast
    Posts
    8,409
    Points
    154,900
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 975
    Given: 284

    Re: QB decision to come on Monday

    I heard from a couple people around the team that Sam is definitely in the lead and getting most of the reps, but it's not a done deal yet. Anybody who says otherwise is pretending to know something.

    There is a scrimmage coming up this weekend that could sway it the other way if Rohach is lights out. Mangino wants a guy picked with two weeks of running with the 1's before a game.



  9. #39
    Pro
    Points: 32,656, Level: 55
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 394
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    JohnnyFive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,362
    Points
    32,656
    Level
    55
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 242
    Given: 178

    Re: QB decision to come on Monday

    Our best chance to win - hands down - is with Sam under center. When healthy he's the best QB we've had in the Rhoads era IMO.



  10. #40
    Starter
    Points: 9,376, Level: 29
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 574
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    wherever i go, there i am
    Posts
    881
    Points
    9,376
    Level
    29
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Given: 107

    Re: QB decision to come on Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by DuckDynastyCy View Post
    I have to take issue with what is in bold, being a former QB. Honestly, I think what we saw with Sam last year taking off was a natural reaction to not having enough time to set up in the pocket. Another thing I have always noticed about the old offense, was the combination of routes that our WR's and TE's ran did not set up any of the others to get open. The combination of routes did not compliment each other in any way, they were just based on spacing. They seemed like a lot of 1 on 1 matchups where our WR's were running Fly's downfield or rounded off shorter routes, trying to break free..I'm sure it is not that simple.

    However, remembering back to Cotton's old offense when Brett Meyer was QB, the routes were not overly complex and were based much more on timing, so the QB already knew before the ball was snapped where he was going, where the gap in the defense would be from his pre snap read, how many steps he dropped back, and knew when to get rid of the ball to get to the receiver on timing. It's as simple as knowing a WR is running a 12 yard post/post hook/flag, knows when the break will be and delivering the ball on timing. I never sensed that with the old Herman offense and many times, our receivers never got separation to allow the QB to deliver it anyway, and why Sam took off running along with an avalanche of opposing defenders closing in on him within 2-3 seconds. Did anyone else notice that? I could never figure out what the WRs routes were trying to do, but they never seemed to criss cross, set up anyone up/rub to spring another guy open IMO. At least I never saw it. When we would get sacked, I would watch where the WR's were and they were running downfield away from the QB with a defender draped all over them. No where for the QB to go. Topped with the lack of time from the OL to throw the ball and receivers rarely getting open, and you quickly ruin a QB's confidence, and see him flush the pocket, eyes go down to the ground instead of downfield etc. etc.

    What I remember about the old KU routes (and Barney Cotton's old offense with Blythe/Meyer) were that they were less complex, based more on timing and the QB could almost know where to go with the ball before the ball is snapped and that alone will give a QB confidence. He doesn't have to ad lib as much. He doesn't have to scan the field "waiting" for someone to get open, he knows to take a 3-5 or 7 step drop and get rid of the ball at a preset time, or throw it away. However, if the Red Sea Opens up in front of you then take off. Last year Sam was taking off to Survive, which is a whole different deal than flushing before he should have. If you don't have the time in the pocket and don't have time to even throw it away, the only thing you naturally do is to run it, and then he got drilled. Sam didn't do that in 2012 in the KU game. The reason why is that OL gave him time.

    I believe we will see the new offense with older school, simple, running routes and more WRs getting separation, the ball delivered to an open spot where his guy gets it or know one gets it on the sideline. KU ran those routes (as simple as many high school routes are) to perfection. Even the OL knows the routes if they pay attention to the call, and know if they need to block for 2 seconds, 3 seconds or 4 (on longer developing plays). All synchronized and everyone on the same page. Simpler the better.
    i won't even attempt to take issue with your rebuttal. Good stuff! Just stating what I heard SR mention in a recent interview and a little 'inside' tidbit that I got back in the spring.



  11. #41
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 47,214, Level: 67
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,136
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    DandyCyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    4,376
    Points
    47,214
    Level
    67
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,265
    Given: 504

    Re: QB decision to come on Monday

    Can someone please give me a quick run down on the Sam Richardson moped story? I must have missed it since I don't know what people are referring to when they mention it. Thanks in advance!



  12. #42
    Addict
    Points: 178,680, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    clonedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    7,058
    Points
    178,680
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 306
    Given: 0

    Re: QB decision to come on Monday

    Why in the world would anyone boo either Sam or Grant if they are the starter?



  13. #43
    Starter
    Points: 14,090, Level: 36
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 760
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    DuckDynastyCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    657
    Points
    14,090
    Level
    36
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 121
    Given: 347

    Re: QB decision to come on Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by FanatiClone View Post
    i won't even attempt to take issue with your rebuttal. Good stuff! Just stating what I heard SR mention in a recent interview and a little 'inside' tidbit that I got back in the spring.
    No worries. I think, to your point, because Sam is a very good runner, at times he might tend to run it if he sees an opening. And that is a natural thing to do if you know you are faster than 75% of people on the defense. For eg., in the WV game in 2012, it was cold, windy (25 MPH gusty), less than an ideal day to throw the ball. There were many times in that game where the OL did give Sam time to throw, but he ran after 2-3 seconds because there was a 10 foot gap that opened up in front of him in the line of scrimmage and he probably reacted to it by taking off and getting an automatic 10-12 yards and a first down vs. waiting an extra second in the pocket for someone to get open. IMO, he did the right thing that day by taking off (I remember him doing that at least 8-10 times with good success ala. Jared Barnett).

    Some OC's might take issue with him taking off saying "if you would have waited an extra second, you had Bundrage open down the sideline for a TD or long gain." That's a tough choice as a QB...do you keep the chains moving and take the automatic first down by running, get a 10 yard gain or risk the 25 Mph wind that day messing with a long ball and getting an incompletion? There is no right answer, but because Sam has been running all his life with success, I can see how that tendency to take off might be hard to break. Jared had the same dilemma, but they BOTH know WHEN to take off, and both usually made good yardage when running. I think Sam is a much better thrower than Jared was however.

    So there is that argument out there and I get that too. I just think in 2012, he ran because he saw an opening. In 2013 he ran, most of the time, to Survive.


    Last edited by DuckDynastyCy; 08-14-2014 at 09:41 PM.

  14. #44
    Addict
    Points: 76,160, Level: 85
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 390
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    dualthreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Alumni road
    Posts
    6,791
    Points
    76,160
    Level
    85
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 168
    Given: 32

    Re: QB decision to come on Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by DuckDynastyCy View Post
    No worries. I think, to your point, because Sam is a very good runner, that at times he might tend to run it if he sees an opening. And that is a natural thing to do if you know you are faster than 75% of people on the defense. For eg., in the WV game in 2012, it was cold, windy (25 MPH gusty), less than an ideal day to throw the ball. There were many times in that game where the OL did give Sam time to throw, but he ran after 2-3 seconds because there was a 10 foot gap that opened up in front of him in the line of scrimmage and he probably reacted to it by taking off and getting an automatic 10-12 yards and a first down vs. waiting an extra second in the pocket for someone to get open. IMO, he did the right thing that day by taking off (I remember him doing that at least 8-10 times with good success ala. Jared Barnett). Some OC's might take issue with him taking off saying "if you would have waited an extra second, you had Bundrage open down the sideline for a TD or long gain." That's a tough choice as a QB...do you keep the chains moving and take the automatic first down by running, get a 10 yard gain or risk the 25 Mph wind that day messing with a long ball and getting an incompletion? There is no right answer, but because Sam has been running all his life with success, I can see how that tendency to take off might be hard to break. Jared had the same dilemma, but they BOTH know WHEN to take off, and both usually made good yardage when running. I think Sam is a much better thrower than Jared was however.

    So there is that argument out there and I get that too.
    as andrew luck would say, "You can't go broke taking a profit!" So in this case, just run it!



  15. #45
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 54,440, Level: 72
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,110
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    4,094
    Points
    54,440
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 556
    Given: 257

    Re: QB decision to come on Monday

    Quote Originally Posted by DandyCyclone View Post
    Can someone please give me a quick run down on the Sam Richardson moped story? I must have missed it since I don't know what people are referring to when they mention it. Thanks in advance!
    Last season Sam was evidently in a moped accident between the UNI game and the Iowa game. From what I've heard, the moped accident had more to do with why he was dinged up during the Iowa game than his injury at the end of the UNI game.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FS1
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 11:00 AM