Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 587
    Given: 56

Re: Column: Don't sleep on Sam

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneVet View Post
    IIRC I believe CPR came out and said Rohach wasn't ready right away which is why Sam played hurt initially.
    No player should have to play that hurt. Let him heal. We were told that it was a QB battle in the summer of 2013. Pretty obvious it was not. Especially is an injured Sam is a better option than a healthy Rohach. That is complete BS.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 959
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 188
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Judoka View Post
    Regrettably that is likely correct. But is absolutely the wrong way to treat the QB position. That's how you get more out of somebody like a defensive end or a nose tackle, not the guy who should be the team leader. Confidence and respect from teammates are hugely important at QB, you don't get that by telling them they have a tenuous grasp on the job. Instead we seem to be heading towards another year of someone looking over their shoulder and being terrified of making mistakes.

They need to name their guy and give him a long leash. Whether it is Sam or Grant once they are named the stater they should stay the starter barring injury.
    That's nice and all if you have a great QB who you know is "the guy".

Follow this guy on Twitter @Daddy_Rusty

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,632
    Given: 2,126

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneVet View Post
    IIRC I believe CPR came out and said Rohach wasn't ready right away which is why Sam played hurt initially.

Wasn't Rohach banged up from camp still when Sam got hurt?

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Pro
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 868
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 202
    Given: 205

Quote Originally Posted by Stormin View Post
    So if Grant or Sam is named the starter and totally stinks up the place and doesn't execute, we stay with him no matter what?

I don't believe in pulling the QB for making a mistake, but if the guy totally sucks you can't just sit back and not give the other guy at least a shot at some time in the game.
    Then we have as much of a problem with our QBs as we have with our ability to evaluate them. Prior to this season, I think we really did have a problem with evaluating what our need was and who could fill that need based on what our identity is.

We are all really leaning on Mangino's proven track record to lead to a correct evaluation of our need and who is best to fill it.

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 83.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registeredOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,513
    Given: 2,387

Obligatory "I trust Mark."

Prospect
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 27

Quote Originally Posted by cydline2cydline View Post
    i believe with MM's system it is more about quick reads and getting the ball out quickly to let the playmakers make the plays...whover can do that gets my vote as well
    I agree, Monte Morris is the best passer we have, suit him up!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CySanka3 View Post
    I agree, Monte Morris is the best passer we have, suit him up!
    No. Matt Thomas started the season as a starter. Unless injured he can NOT be replaced by Monte Morris. That is the NEW rule.

All-Star
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 47
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 145
    Given: 211

Neither of these guys is going to grow as a QB if they aren't given some space to make mistakes and go through the natural growing pains. This merry-go-round mentality of constantly shuffling the QBs in and out has probably been the most detrimental decision to this team, as far as the offense is concerned at least. I find it hard to believe that SR and GR are that close together in performance, for as long as it's been going on, that a clear cut starter can't be named.

Speechless
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by FanatiClone View Post
    Neither of these guys is going to grow as a QB if they aren't given some space to make mistakes and go through the natural growing pains. This merry-go-round mentality of constantly shuffling the QBs in and out has probably been the most detrimental decision to this team, as far as the offense is concerned at least. I find it hard to believe that SR and GR are that close together in performance, for as long as it's been going on, that a clear cut starter can't be named.
    I am not calling for a constant shuffling of QB's. But if you go the whole first half and the reason for a pathetic first half offense is the pathetic play of the QB, then you OWE it to the team to put in the backup at some point in the second half and see if it sparks the team IMO. Nothing was worse than watching the Vikings sticking with Josh Freeman for a whole game that was winnable because of stubbornness and thinking you will shatter the QB's confidence. Doing something that stupid ends up shattering the TEAM's Confidence in their coaches to do what is necessary to win the game.

Addict
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 698
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 121
    Given: 132

Well the good news is, it will be named by friday, then we can all rest easy......

Starter
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 50
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 139

I think Sam Richardson would have been the guy all year last year, but he got banged up, and Rohach was better than an injured Richardson who couldn't run anymore.

All-Star
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 47
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 145
    Given: 211

Quote Originally Posted by Stormin View Post
    I am not calling for a constant shuffling of QB's. But if you go the whole first half and the reason for a pathetic first half offense is the pathetic play of the QB, then you OWE it to the team to put in the backup at some point in the second half and see if it sparks the team IMO. Nothing was worse than watching the Vikings sticking with Josh Freeman for a whole game that was winnable because of stubbornness and thinking you will shatter the QB's confidence. Doing something that stupid ends up shattering the TEAM's Confidence in their coaches to do what is necessary to win the game.
    I get the sense, from your post, that you think I was responding to something you said. Not the case. Just my two cents worth on the QB situation going all the way back to 2012. That is the constant shuffling to which I am referring. We know what we have with both SR and GR. We know they have potential. They don't suck...but they have both sucked at times. Big difference. Let whoever is named the starter work through the issues they will no doubt encounter during the course of their "trial" as a starter...even if they suck at times. For this offense to be able to get into the zone or flow or rhythm, there has to be consistency in who takes the field, especially at QB. Again, just my opinion.

Speechless
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I get the sense, from your post, that you think I was responding to something you said. Not the case. Just my two cents worth on the QB situation going all the way back to 2012. That is the constant shuffling to which I am referring. We know what we have with both SR and GR. We know they have potential. They don't suck...but they have both sucked at times. Big difference. Let whoever is named the starter work through the issues they will no doubt encounter during the course of their "trial" as a starter...even if they suck at times. For this offense to be able to get into the zone or flow or rhythm, there has to be consistency in who takes the field, especially at QB. Again, just my opinion.
    Not arguing over that. Just that if the QB play in the first half by the named starter is THAT BAD, then you really owe it to the team to at least give a series or two to the backup and see if it ignites a spark.

And hate to speculate but watched the interviews with Nealy and Wimberly after Practice No. 8. Nealy was asked if Wimberly and Nealy might both in the backfield at the same time and what that brought to the table.

Nealy said that it was like a 3-headed monster back there since they all could run and had speed, including Sam at QB........then added.....and Grant can run too. Kind of strange how he added that. And might be reading more into it than it seems. But it almost seemed like he tipped the hand that SR could be the starter.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 112
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 41

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    Wasn't Rohach banged up from camp still when Sam got hurt?
    Not according to his family that I sat next to during the Iowa game. In fact, they told me Grant was a bit frustrated at not being given the nod to play that day given how injured Sam was. His family even made mention of Sam and the "moped incident" and joked about what the heck has to happen for Grant to see the field? It was evident Grant was not banged up and was chomping at the bit to play that day.

Sounds to me that Rhoads comments that he wasn't ready were not related to being banged up.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,119
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 263
    Given: 109

Just rewatched the WVU game and Grant was nothing special in that game as a whole. He was really bad at the start of the game, missing guys badly with passes, and almost threw 2 INT, one which would have been a pick 6. He did throw some nice passes later in the game, but the comeback was more about WV turning the ball over than ISU being dominate.