Column: Don't sleep on Sam - Page 11
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 224
  1. #151
    Prospect
    Points: 2,350, Level: 13
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    11
    Points
    2,350
    Level
    13
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Re: Column: Don't sleep on Sam

    Quote Originally Posted by CloneinWDSM View Post
    Hoping Sam gets the nod. He deserves a chance to prove himself in games with a solid O-Line
    and a solid OC.



  2. #152
    Addict
    Points: 53,549, Level: 71
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 501
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CyTwins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    6,008
    Points
    53,549
    Level
    71
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,328
    Given: 962

    Re: Column: Don't sleep on Sam

    Quote Originally Posted by cyatheart View Post
    People act like roach was playing with the Denver broncos o line out there and Sam wasn't...it was the same awful line for both
    It has more to do with the opposing teams defense



  3. #153
    Speechless
    Points: 407,969, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 62.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    61,068
    Points
    407,969
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 874
    Given: 607

    Re: Column: Don't sleep on Sam

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUCubswin View Post
    13/31 = bad

    3 TDs, 0 INTS = good

    119 rush yards = good
    That was a stinko weather game where it seemed like we were always throwing into the wind.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  4. #154
    Addict
    Points: 52,400, Level: 70
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 150
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    DandyCyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    5,058
    Points
    52,400
    Level
    70
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,597
    Given: 587

    Re: Column: Don't sleep on Sam

    If you listen to the most recent CF podcast, you will hear CW say he believes the ISU staff already knows who they will have starting vs NDSU and they are using this QB competition as a motivational tool.



  5. #155
    Pro
    Points: 36,218, Level: 58
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 432
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registeredOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    GTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    2,817
    Points
    36,218
    Level
    58
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,966
    Given: 3,342

    Re: Column: Don't sleep on Sam

    Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    I agree, I'd love to have that Sam back. That's just the question. Because the Sam of recent history never seems to make those same throws while standing in the pocket like that. The new and rattled Sam, is MUCH more conservative and instead of risking some of those TD throws he made against KU, will now instead just tuck it and run instead.
    I felt the same way as well. He became more conservative once he got injured and would tuck the ball and run rather than take chances. I would think a lot of it was due to his injuries and just his confidence being down as a result of the ****** play calling. It's not a fair comparison between a healthy Rohach and an injured Sam. Sam is more dynamic with his ability to run, but I definitely want him to be more aggressive with his arm this season. If there was a season for it, this will be it with all the WRs we have.



  6. #156
    All-Star
    Points: 15,050, Level: 37
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 600
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    CascadeClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,049
    Points
    15,050
    Level
    37
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 256

    Re: Column: Don't sleep on Sam

    The bad news:
    when you have 2 QBs, then you actually have no QBs. I think both are OK, but neither is great. I find it hard to believe we suddenly have 2 Sage/Seneca level QBs on the team.

    The good news:
    with better management (simpler offense, more rush game, better OL play) we could have better QB play than last year and a more successful offense, even if neither QB is a world-beater.


    I'm sure Mangino will pick whichever one's strengths fits better into the offense he wants to run.



  7. #157
    Addict
    Points: 101,089, Level: 99
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,961
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Mankato, Minnesota
    Posts
    5,899
    Points
    101,089
    Level
    99
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 146

    Re: Column: Don't sleep on Sam

    Here's another question i'm relatively curious on, Is it truly Mangino's offense? I really hope that CPR has kept his nose out of the offensive meetings, and let Mangino be the coach he is. Not like Rhoads was with Mess last year. CRP had Mess rapped around his finger.



  8. #158
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 67,287, Level: 80
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 763
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RustShack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Adventureland
    Posts
    4,873
    Points
    67,287
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 206
    Given: 0

    Re: Column: Don't sleep on Sam

    Honestly I think the staff thinks(or thought) Grant was the better passer, but he hasn't shown it as consistently as they had hoped. Sounds like there isn't much separation right now, in which case Sam could get the nod because of not only experience.. But he also adds the mobility element to the offense.

    And yes, this IS Manginos offense. Just like how Herman had control, not how Mess was forced to use Herman's offense then implement our new OL coaches scheme the following year.


    Follow this guy on Twitter @Daddy_Rusty

  9. #159
    Addict
    Points: 112,584, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    cyrocksmypants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    9,445
    Points
    112,584
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,141
    Given: 130

    Re: Column: Don't sleep on Sam

    Didn't read the whole thing.

    I like Sam. I do. But his biggest problem is that he never took any chances down field because he seemed terrified to make a mistake. If he's gotten over that, I'd like him to be the guy. If he hasn't, I want Grant.

    We're not good enough to be able to expect to have meticulous drives down field every drive. As the underdog, there are times in every game where you just have to take a shot.



  10. #160
    Legend
    Points: 310,475, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 91.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    00clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Iowa City area
    Posts
    10,629
    Points
    310,475
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,562
    Given: 610

    Re: Column: Don't sleep on Sam

    Quote Originally Posted by redalert View Post
    and a solid OC.

    Mangino fat jokes...not funny dude.




    because I know that's not what you meant.




    Quote Originally Posted by cowgirl836
    moar yoga pants, please.

  11. #161
    Legend
    Points: 164,379, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Here nor there
    Posts
    12,318
    Points
    164,379
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 707
    Given: 1,091

    Re: Column: Don't sleep on Sam

    Quote Originally Posted by cyrocksmypants View Post
    Didn't read the whole thing.

    I like Sam. I do. But his biggest problem is that he never took any chances down field because he seemed terrified to make a mistake. If he's gotten over that, I'd like him to be the guy. If he hasn't, I want Grant.

    We're not good enough to be able to expect to have meticulous drives down field every drive. As the underdog, there are times in every game where you just have to take a shot.
    In any games he has had any type of protection he has thrown the ball downfield. He takes a healthier amount than Grant, which is why his TD/INT ratio is better, and why he actually has a very slight edge in yards/attempt.
    We are not good enough to be careless with the ball.



  12. #162
    All-Star
    Points: 25,069, Level: 48
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 481
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Thomasrickj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    1,561
    Points
    25,069
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 317
    Given: 46

    Re: Column: Don't sleep on Sam

    I'm on the Rohach bandwagon. He's a little more poised and makes better decisions than Sam, IMO.



  13. #163
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 3,037, Level: 15
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    340
    Points
    3,037
    Level
    15
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 125

    Re: Column: Don't sleep on Sam

    Quote Originally Posted by CascadeClone View Post
    The bad news:
    when you have 2 QBs, then you actually have no QBs. I think both are OK, but neither is great. I find it hard to believe we suddenly have 2 Sage/Seneca level QBs on the team.

    The good news:
    with better management (simpler offense, more rush game, better OL play) we could have better QB play than last year and a more successful offense, even if neither QB is a world-beater.


    I'm sure Mangino will pick whichever one's strengths fits better into the offense he wants to run.
    There have been many good 2 QB teams. Both Iowa ( hope you are right on that one) and UNI( hope you are wrong on that one) plan on using 2 QBs and maybe us.



  14. #164
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 3,037, Level: 15
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    340
    Points
    3,037
    Level
    15
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 125

    Re: Column: Don't sleep on Sam

    Quote Originally Posted by RustShack View Post
    Honestly I think the staff thinks(or thought) Grant was the better passer, but he hasn't shown it as consistently as they had hoped. Sounds like there isn't much separation right now, in which case Sam could get the nod because of not only experience.. But he also adds the mobility element to the offense.

    And yes, this IS Manginos offense. Just like how Herman had control, not how Mess was forced to use Herman's offense then implement our new OL coaches scheme the following year.
    Yes, Mess was a good guy and got a bad rap.



  15. #165
    Starter
    Points: 14,631, Level: 36
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 219
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    DuckDynastyCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    795
    Points
    14,631
    Level
    36
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 167
    Given: 497

    Re: Column: Don't sleep on Sam

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUFB View Post
    Here's another question i'm relatively curious on, Is it truly Mangino's offense? I really hope that CPR has kept his nose out of the offensive meetings, and let Mangino be the coach he is. Not like Rhoads was with Mess last year. CRP had Mess rapped around his finger.
    I don't think we will have to worry about who is running the Offense. You don't hire Mark Mangino and then tell him how to do his job.


    "winners never quit; quitters never win"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Mediacom 22
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Drake
  • December 20, 2014
  • 04:00 PM