Addict Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Albany vs. ISU Post Game Thread

Read a few posts in the game thread about what the game was like. I'm interested in hearing more since I could only listen to the game and thought a new thread would be worthy of it.

"If you can't hear me, it's because I'm in parentheses."

Starter
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 412
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

Re: Albany vs. ISU Post Game Thread

Here's what I have concluded after reviewing the stats. In spite of 6 more turnovers, Albany managed to take 9 more shots than ISU. Why? Because they outrebounded ISU 38-32 even though their only player over 6' 7" only played 4 minutes, and because they out hustled ISU all game long. The crowd was lethargic, and although GMac knew this was a tough opponent, I'm not sure anyone else did. They made the NCAA's last year, and have a good chance of doing it again. I'm still thinking we are better next year at PG with Garrett, Buckley, and Peterson than we are in the post with Brackins, CJ, Thompson, Mann, and Hamilton.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 31

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgeezer View Post
    I'm still thinking we are better next year at PG with Garrett, Buckley, and Peterson than we are in the post with Brackins, CJ, Thompson, Mann, and Hamilton.
    As hard as I have been on Peterson I almost have to agree now. Especially as well as Jiri has been playing and watching Hamilton on TV. If we don't get a big that can come in and play right away we could be in big trouble...

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

All-Star
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 471
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Here's what I have concluded after reviewing the stats. In spite of 6 more turnovers, Albany managed to take 9 more shots than ISU. Why? Because they outrebounded ISU 38-32 even though their only player over 6' 7" only played 4 minutes, and because they out hustled ISU all game long. The crowd was lethargic, and although GMac knew this was a tough opponent, I'm not sure anyone else did. They made the NCAA's last year, and have a good chance of doing it again.

i didnt think it was that bad at all...i think that most of those rebounds and second chance points came very late in the game, and, even though they werent the tallest of teams, they had quite a bit of bulk...much stronger than most of the teams we have played lately...the crowd was smaller,mainly due to the students being out of town....overall, i thought it was a pretty darn good effort, all things considered.oh yeah, and they have been to the dance the last two years

Starter
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 412
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

Quote Originally Posted by clonerules View Post
    Here's what I have concluded after reviewing the stats. In spite of 6 more turnovers, Albany managed to take 9 more shots than ISU. Why? Because they outrebounded ISU 38-32 even though their only player over 6' 7" only played 4 minutes, and because they out hustled ISU all game long. The crowd was lethargic, and although GMac knew this was a tough opponent, I'm not sure anyone else did. They made the NCAA's last year, and have a good chance of doing it again.

i didnt think it was that bad at all...i think that most of those rebounds and second chance points came very late in the game, and, even though they werent the tallest of teams, they had quite a bit of bulk...much stronger than most of the teams we have played lately...the crowd was smaller,mainly due to the students being out of town....overall, i thought it was a pretty darn good effort, all things considered.oh yeah, and they have been to the dance the last two years
    Here's the problem: when we get into the Big 12, the opponents "bigs" WILL be bulkier, and tall.

Starter
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 762
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I was at the game.

Brackins was bottled up because the other team wanted him bottled up. They sprinted at him and double teamed him on EVERY low post catch. They DID NOT double team Hubalek. We shot a lot of 3's (and made a good %), not because of strategy, but because that was what they were giving us. I bet 50% of our 3 attempts came from a low block touch, double team, and skip to the opposite wing out of the double team for a 3.

Haluska had 2 really good looks early and didn't bury them. However, mediocre shooters like Garrett did make one.

The crowd was lethargic but got into it at certain times. The students were gone and it was a Sunday night crowd. Trap game all around but I thought it was a solid win. Our bigs struggled early to finish 5 footers but that's largely in part because of how much traffic was down there. On the positive side we really took advantage of FT situations including many 1 and 1's where we were fouled on a rebound, walked down to the other end for a 1+1...where if we'd have missed the front end, it would have been basically a turnover. You have to take those possessions into account.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82

Haluska had 2 really good looks early and didn't bury them. However, mediocre shooters like Garrett did make one.
    I've seen a lot of people say stuff like this - Hey, for as bad of a shooter as Garrett is, he's made 3 treys now. Honestly people should lay off Diante about the shooting. It's not something that is going to get better until the offseason. His percentage is .273, which is about what Wesley shot last year.

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

And was it bothering anyone else that their school colors are purple and gold but their uniforms were black and gold? It was annoying me! Why would you get uniforms that aren't your team colors? Trying to be like the hawkeyes I guess...

Pro
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,251
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 27

Quote Originally Posted by Cyfan13 View Post
    And was it bothering anyone else that their school colors are purple and gold but their uniforms were black and gold? It was annoying me! Why would you get uniforms that aren't your team colors? Trying to be like the hawkeyes I guess...
    I agree. The shirts looked stupid, and the shirtless guys looked stupider. They were all lame.

Addict
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 92
    Given: 99

I was wondering that myself. I thought maybe the HS that Lilis(sp?) attended in Iowa (Urbandale?) had purple colors.

Rookie Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by 1100011CS View Post
    I was wondering that myself. I thought maybe the HS that Lilis(sp?) attended in Iowa (Urbandale?) had purple colors.
    Lillis attended Dowling with me, and our colors were maroon and white...I looked up the Univ. of Albany website and all the colors on there were purple and gold, so that leads me to believe that those are their school colors. So why they had black and gold uni's, i'm not sure

Legend
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 31

I can't say much about this, neither HS I went to wore school colors. One was black and gold and we wore Black and White with a little silver, the other was Purple and gold and we wore black and purple.

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Lillis attended Dowling with me, and our colors were maroon and white...I looked up the Univ. of Albany website and all the colors on there were purple and gold, so that leads me to believe that those are their school colors. So why they had black and gold uni's, i'm not sure
    Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    I can't say much about this, neither HS I went to wore school colors. One was black and gold and we wore Black and White with a little silver, the other was Purple and gold and we wore black and purple.
    I guess I look at it just like us wearing white as our home unis. White is one of our colors. One could argue that we should wear the gold at home. Black isn't their color, but their numbers and lettering where purple and gold, just as our is cardinal and gold (sorta) on white unis.

But it threw me at first as well. They had a healthy number of fans there in purple - presumably Lillis' family and friends.

Rookie Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    I guess I look at it just like us wearing white as our home unis. White is one of our colors. One could argue that we should wear the gold at home. Black isn't their color, but their numbers and lettering where purple and gold, just as our is cardinal and gold (sorta) on white unis.

But it threw me at first as well. They had a healthy number of fans there in purple - presumably Lillis' family and friends.

That's true...I guess I just didn't see the purple in their uni's at all. K-state also has black uni's but you can see the purple better in their's.

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 613
    Given: 2,469

I kept feeling like we were playing the Hawks, too. I guess the Danes held it together a little better in the first half, though. ;)

While our home unis are white, at least we still have a very visible red/yellow presence (I didn't see ANY purple). And our away unis obviously represent our colors (when it would seem most important). Colors seemed odd to me, too.

M 7/09