Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 361
    Given: 0

Re: NDSU favored by 2

Quote Originally Posted by Stormin View Post
    Correct. But we are NOT playing last year's NDSU Team. And this is NOT last year's ISU team. And there are new coaches on both staffs. IMO, the ISU staff is drastically improved while NDSU staff has suffered losses. Now consider the roster losses for each team and the returners to each roster. IMO, that is favorable to ISU as well.

I actually think UNI will defeat NDSU this year. And ISU will win as well.
    I will agree with you about UNI possibly beating NDSU this year. I think UNI will be pretty good.

We are all hoping that NDSU losing their head coach and some key starters will help our chances, and I would agree that it can't hurt.

We are also hoping that ISU will be better too, although we lost a LOT of starters on defense as well.

I just don't believe in or trust a bunch of "what if's". I hope I win a million dollars too, but I'm not counting on it. I will believe we are better than NDSU when I see it. But I've certainly learned not to talk smack about ISU football, it usually doesn't pay. UNI last year was just another in a long line of disappointments. We all talked smack to the lowly UNI fans that posted on here last year, but who had the last laugh?

I will go by results on the field every time over people running their mouths. NDSU has had MUCH more success on the football field than we have..... PERIOD..... even against some of the same teams we've played. They can hang their hat on that, while we can't really hang our hat on anything right now until we go out and prove it.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 587
    Given: 56

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    I will agree with you about UNI possibly beating NDSU this year. I think UNI will be pretty good.

We are all hoping that NDSU losing their head coach and some key starters will help our chances, and I would agree that it can't hurt.

We are also hoping that ISU will be better too, although we lost a LOT of starters on defense as well.

I just don't believe in or trust a bunch of "what if's". I hope I win a million dollars too, but I'm not counting on it. I will believe we are better than NDSU when I see it. But I've certainly learned not to talk smack about ISU football, it usually doesn't pay. UNI last year was just another in a long line of disappointments. We all talked smack to the lowly UNI fans that posted on here last year, but who had the last laugh?

I will go by results on the field every time over people running their mouths. NDSU has had MUCH more success on the football field than we have..... PERIOD..... even against some of the same teams we've played. They can hang their hat on that, while we can't really hang our hat on anything right now until we go out and prove it.
    We return pretty much everyone on offense and now have Mangino as OC. We lost our 2 safeties but supposedly while we are young, Cotton-Moya and Mutcherson are superior athletes to last year's safeties. We lose George at LB but have everyone else back at LB. And on the DL we lost an undersized Willie Scott but we return All Big 12 Honorable Mention DE Cory Morrissey. On the interior DL we lost Coe and Irving. But return Jensen who started every game last year. I expect us to start Jensen and Cousin. Coe's loss will hurt, Irving not as much.

Contrast that with NDSU losing a lot on offense including their 4 year starter at QB and much of their OL. And NDSU loses their All American CB as well as their 2 starting DT's.

Last year was last year. And the records from last year mean very little. It is a whole new year.

Addict
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Stormin View Post
    We return pretty much everyone on offense and now have Mangino as OC. We lost our 2 safeties but supposedly while we are young, Cotton-Moya and Mutcherson are superior athletes to last year's safeties. We lose George at LB but have everyone else back at LB. And on the DL we lost an undersized Willie Scott but we return All Big 12 Honorable Mention DE Cory Morrissey. On the interior DL we lost Coe and Irving. But return Jensen who started every game last year. I expect us to start Jensen and Cousin. Coe's loss will hurt, Irving not as much.

Contrast that with NDSU losing a lot on offense including their 4 year starter at QB and much of their OL. And NDSU loses their All American CB as well as their 2 starting DT's.

Last year was last year. And the records from last year mean very little. It is a whole new year.
    As my last post stated..... we can be "hopeful" about a lot of things this year, that's fine, but it's nothing more than "hope" at this point.

I too "hope" that we're better in all aspects of the game this year, but I will not make the mistake of believing it will happen until I see it. As a lifelong Cyclone fan, I know better. I had a lot of "hope" last year that we'd beat UNI by 3+ TDs going in to that game. Turned out, UNI was better than us and more prepared for that game. So my "hope" didn't mean a whole lot.

"Hope" isn't going to get this team very far this year. They have to prove it on the field, not just "hope" they are improved enough to win.

I know better than to think we're going to beat NDSU because we are Iowa State and they are NDSU. I'm sorry, but saying "we're Iowa State" doesn't hold much water these days. In fact, it means very little. If you think NDSU will be intimidated by Iowa State, you haven't been paying attention. We haven't had enough success to intimidate anyone. Last year, our guys looked intimidated by UNI if anything.

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 549
    Given: 309

The fact that we are a 2 pt underdog against a 1AA team, at home, is embarrassing.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    The fact that we are a 2 pt underdog against a 1AA team, at home, is embarrassing.
    Yes it is.... and it should be.

We will see if our guys take it as an insult and come out and play with emotion or if they come out unprepared and roll over like they did against UNI.

If NDSU is favored to win this game over us, as a coaching staff I would challenge the manhood of my entire team to come out and prove everyone wrong. We shall see what happens though? If we come out thinking NDSU will be intimidated by us, we will lose.

Starter
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 442
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 59

Yep I have a little bit of cash left that will be going to the good guys as soon as the company opens it. Hopefully, they will since NDSU is not Div 1. A Big XII school should never be an underdog at home to a Div 1AA school.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 125

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbuk View Post
    I will bet you are mistaken.
    I will take you up on that.

Addict
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 910
    Given: 607

Time to shock the world and upset NDSU.

Pro
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 357
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,653
    Given: 998

It's especially embarrassing because, before last year, Iowa State fans in general had gotten a little big for their britches (self included). There was a lot of talk about how we were poised to eclipse Iowa as the state's dominant football program, how Paul Rhoads was Bill Snyder 2.0, that we were finally competitive with the big boys, on and on.

After last year, it should take several seasons of sustained success (like, better than 6-6) to make people think that 2013 was an exception.

Recruit
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 29
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 67

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    As my last post stated..... we can be "hopeful" about a lot of things this year, that's fine, but it's nothing more than "hope" at this point.

I too "hope" that we're better in all aspects of the game this year, but I will not make the mistake of believing it will happen until I see it. As a lifelong Cyclone fan, I know better. I had a lot of "hope" last year that we'd beat UNI by 3+ TDs going in to that game. Turned out, UNI was better than us and more prepared for that game. So my "hope" didn't mean a whole lot.

"Hope" isn't going to get this team very far this year. They have to prove it on the field, not just "hope" they are improved enough to win.

I know better than to think we're going to beat NDSU because we are Iowa State and they are NDSU. I'm sorry, but saying "we're Iowa State" doesn't hold much water these days. In fact, it means very little. If you think NDSU will be intimidated by Iowa State, you haven't been paying attention. We haven't had enough success to intimidate anyone. Last year, our guys looked intimidated by UNI if anything.
    You're a glass half empty type of person. I guess if I had a brand new coaching staff with Mangino having an excellent track record and young people that already have experience and are getting big, I would get excited but man you put the mood down in this thread. I hope this program proves you wrong and shows you even with a terrible season last year that a new year is a "new year".

Addict
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 341
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,146
    Given: 836

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    Vegas will have ISU favored.
    Vegas won't have a line on this game

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by WrestlerJJE View Post
    You're a glass half empty type of person. I guess if I had a brand new coaching staff with Mangino having an excellent track record and young people that already have experience and are getting big, I would get excited but man you put the mood down in this thread. I hope this program proves you wrong and shows you even with a terrible season last year that a new year is a "new year".
    I hope more than anything that you are correct. I really do. I would love for that to be true.

I'm just saying, as a lifelong Cyclone fan, that I know better than to expect that and to talk smack to ANY other school's fans about what we are going to do to them on the football field. I will talk smack when it's warranted, but it's FAR from warranted right now.

What are we supposed to say to NDSU fans going into this game? Hey.... if everyone on our team plays above expectations, and your team falls below expectations.... we just might have a chance to beat you!!! Take that!!

Pro
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 228
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 170

Quote Originally Posted by WrestlerJJE View Post
    Every new season brings new hope. We hope we're better. We hope the kids that have been in the program are better. We hope the coaching staff calls better plays. We hope the other teams all suck.

Way too many assumptions... More than a few on this board feel we were an 8 win team last year but for 1 or 2 injuries. Then they said we'll next year will be special because Coe and Irving will be that much bigger and faster and smarter. Now with them gone, they say the same things but apply that logic to guys that are YOUNG, INEXPERIENCED, UNDERSIZED and UNTESTED but they arrive at the same conclusion - we'll be so much better.

I expect a similar product on the field as we saw last year but I have no clue how that will translate down to wins and losses. So long as the kids play hard, play smart, and conduct themselves with character, dignity and honor its all good. But adding a few more Ws makes good better.

Rookie
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 303
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54

Quote Originally Posted by Mesaclone1 View Post
    Doesn't mean anything...but it WILL get the boys even more psyched to crush NDSU. And yes, you shouldn't need extra motivation...but kids can and do get "extra" pumped when they see stuff like this. Guaranteed, it will put a BIG chip on their collective shoulders.

I think we crush NDSU, along the lines of 41-23 or so with them getting a late touchdown...neither team is what it was last season, and in both cases that works in our favor.
    It's true that in-game and maybe a day before the game the extra motivation thing doesn't really mean anything. However, this sort of thing can help get through the grind of practice the next three weeks and keep guys focused. I love it. If they DL can hold up we'll win this game. Granted, that's a pretty sizable "If."

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 272
    Given: 103

We've earned it.