Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 181
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 0

Hope for the D..rewatched the '13 Texas game..gave me much reason for optimism in 14.

I watched the replay of the ISU-Texas game last year, focusing on the defense. To my surprise, what jumped out at me was the play of CB Sam Richardson...who was little short of fantastic in run support. The kid came screaming up on a couple of screen type passes to the outside edge as well...and made great tackles. That is huge for any defense in this conference because the edge speed of most Big 12 offenses is just astounding at times...but Sam really shut that down on his side of the field using his quickness, and most of all, sure tackling. His size may be an issue at times, if isolated one on one with a big strong receiver, but his athleticism is going to give him some nice opportunities at making big plays as well. If Tribune is the shut down corner it looks like he's becoming, Richardson's task on the other side will involve less 1 on 1 with big stud WR's, and more run support and zone/area coverage...things he is VERY good at doing.

Also of note, was the solid play of our DE's...Morrissey looked very good and Meyers made a few very nice plays as well. The DL was average, and the LB play was on the poor side...a lot of the LB's seemed to overrun plays and were generally out of position. They were far from good at dropping into coverage as well...though there were a few nice blitz packages where they put some nice pressure on the Texas QB.

Coe was mostly non-existent that game and Irvin was decent but nothing special. Both seemed to maneuver themselves OUT of plays more than into them...and perhaps some of the issues at LB relate to those two DL's not holding the intended gaps...it looked that way at times though I'm not enough of an expert to be certain. In comparison to the early and mid-season play of our defensive interior, I have no doubt that we will start the season ahead of last year's team...if not in sheer talent, in terms of discipline and holding the gap they are designated to hold. It seems certain to me that our LB play is going to improve with experience as well, and I think the D overall may be similar to, or slightly better, than what we fielded for most of last season. That isn't great, but its a long way from disaster...there times in that Texas game where the D looked very good, and they really seemed to step up after turnovers and hold Texas to a field goal or less.

DO think much will depend on the play of our two young safeties, a factor that gets less press than issues on the DL and at LB....as they will be needed for run support...but will have to be smart/talented enough to make sure they and everyone else is in the right place at the right time. That is two huge tasks for two very young and very talented kids. Wally's bend don't break D counts on keeping everything in front of the defense...give up the short stuff, to the point of driving us fans crazy...but never get beat deep. So the pressure on those two safeties, hopefully with some solid bench play from Floyd, is going to be immense. If they are up to it, I think everyone is going to be surrprised at the play of the defense.

One other thing...holy schmoly Sam Richardson (QB) looked good in this game. Made good decisions, ran VERY well, and was tremendously accurate on all but the very deep throws.I've been a bit on the Rohach wagon since the end of last year, but if Sam turns out to be the guy, I thnk he can be really good if he stays healthy. Its good to know we have two guys with solid experience competing with each other...pushing each other to get better...and a young gun in Lanning who may be the best of the bunch, eventually.

How's that for sunshine pumping? Honestly, I think I'm being a realist but this close to the season I admit to getting irrationally exuberant...it happens.

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.
    Marcus Aurelius

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 93

Re: Hope for the D..rewatched the '13 Texas game..gave me much reason for optimism in

That silly hail Mary at the end of the first half gets credited to the defense also. Ended up being big in deciding the game.

Pro
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 403
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 372
    Given: 221

Re: Hope for the D..rewatched the '13 Texas game..gave me much reason for optimism in

Quote Originally Posted by Mesaclone1 View Post
    How's that for sunshine pumping? Honestly, I think I'm being a realist but this close to the season I admit to getting irrationally exuberant...it happens.
    That's an awful lot of kool aid to drink this early in the day. I got caught up in the excitement last August and by the time the UNI game rolled around I honestly believed that the team might win eight games. This year I'm taking a wait and see approach. After the spring game and practices I penciled them in for 3-9 and I'm not backing off that unless/until I see the offense putting up video game numbers and the defense holding up through the entire game and not getting worn down.
    Don't get me wrong; I sincerely hope that in January Rhoads and Co. have served up a big old helping of crow for me and the other doubters. I just have to see an improved product on the field before I get too excited about the direction of the program.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 424
    Given: 43

Sounds like we will play more Press coverage this year. Not as much Loose coverage. PI calls against us in Texas game bordered on ridiculous.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 181
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78

Quote Originally Posted by jbindm View Post
    That's an awful lot of kool aid to drink this early in the day. I got caught up in the excitement last August and by the time the UNI game rolled around I honestly believed that the team might win eight games. This year I'm taking a wait and see approach. After the spring game and practices I penciled them in for 3-9 and I'm not backing off that unless/until I see the offense putting up video game numbers and the defense holding up through the entire game and not getting worn down.
    Don't get me wrong; I sincerely hope that in January Rhoads and Co. have served up a big old helping of crow for me and the other doubters. I just have to see an improved product on the field before I get too excited about the direction of the program.
    Honestly, I think hoping for 8 wins last year OR this year is crazy. Given the injury onslaught last season, such a goal was never going to be possible...we had some talent, but it was too young and way too often injured to result in many wins. This year, while it is reasonable to take a wait-and-see approach before getting to fired up...there are a LOT more objective reasons for optimism. But the goal sure isn't 8 wins, more like 5 or 6 along with being competitive in every game. If we manage that, we are moving in a positive direction and can get REALLY excited about the program's future.

The alternative to optimism, even if it should be cautious optimism, is a doom and gloom approach. And as a fan of the program, how much fun is that? I've been doing this ritual for 40 years now, and I've tried every mental approach to football season imaginable...so trust me, its better to be a glass half full guy as an ISU fan. Its gonna be torture if things don't turn out well, whether you approach the season with high OR low expectations. It doesn't really lessen the pain much to come into it being negative...losing still rips your guts out.

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.
    Marcus Aurelius

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,737
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 485
    Given: 243

Really hard to draw any conclusions from the defense last year. I'm optimistic that we will see improvement, even though that improvement may not translate to any extra wins. My main reason for optimism of an improved defense is an improved offense though so I'm not sure how good of a sign that is.

the poster formerly known as chamakhattack

Rookie
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 44
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

I have been watching some of the games over the last week and in general it has improved my thoughts on the defense. Other than Baylor, K-state and the 2nd half against OU game the D looked ok. In the West Virginia and UNI games we started poorly but actually look decent in the 2nd half. Normally they start out getting some stops but wear down as the offense goes 3 and out over and over again.

Addict
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 167
    Given: 81

Our corners and linebackers are going to be very good this season. Decent experience in both units.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 740
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 112
    Given: 251

Quote Originally Posted by UNIGuy4Cy View Post
    Our corners and linebackers are going to be very good this season. Decent experience in both units.
    I like this position as well, Richardson had some really tough breaks and a couple near misses on INT's but he played def had moments. I expect him to improve and Tribune will be an all conference type of guy by the time he's a SR.

Starter
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 116
    Given: 331

Quote Originally Posted by UNIGuy4Cy View Post
    I'm not sure I buy that about the LB's quite yet, especially MLB. Have 3 guys there, one promising RS Freshman who will be a stud before he is done, one physically gifted stud who is learning the defense like Meeks, (which if history proves anything, may take awhile as Wally's scheme must be tricky to learn) and another older one who has not played, may not be as physically gifted as the other two, but should know the playbook better. Never been totally sold on Brackins at OLB, he gets beat in coverage some (which is why he moved from S to OLB), and the other spot, will be fine if Knott stays healthy. If he goes down, well, we will see. I'm least concerned about that spot vs. the MLB and SAM. We could be good at LB and we could be below average (because of the learning curve, not talent). I am hoping for the former.

Last edited by DuckDynastyCy; 08-09-2014 at 10:58 AM.
    "winners never quit; quitters never win"

Speechless
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 349

Sam Richardson is a favorite of mine. I saw good plays and noticed he actually tackled people compared to others last year. You need someone who is willing to tackle in the secondary. He is my favorite in the secondary.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Recruit
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 248
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 66

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	azqfh.jpg 
Views:	636 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	27816

Recruit
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 248
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 66

I think that this years team will surprise you all. Right now just hearing the interviews, they sound hungry. They sound like they want to rip someones head off. I'm excited to see what will happen.

Legend
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 308
    Given: 1,196

Quote Originally Posted by Mesaclone1 View Post
    I watched the replay of the ISU-Texas game last year, focusing on the defense. To my surprise, what jumped out at me was the play of CB Sam Richardson...who was little short of fantastic in run support. The kid came screaming up on a couple of screen type passes to the outside edge as well...and made great tackles. That is huge for any defense in this conference because the edge speed of most Big 12 offenses is just astounding at times...but Sam really shut that down on his side of the field using his quickness, and most of all, sure tackling. His size may be an issue at times, if isolated one on one with a big strong receiver, but his athleticism is going to give him some nice opportunities at making big plays as well. If Tribune is the shut down corner it looks like he's becoming, Richardson's task on the other side will involve less 1 on 1 with big stud WR's, and more run support and zone/area coverage...things he is VERY good at doing.

Also of note, was the solid play of our DE's...Morrissey looked very good and Meyers made a few very nice plays as well. The DL was average, and the LB play was on the poor side...a lot of the LB's seemed to overrun plays and were generally out of position. They were far from good at dropping into coverage as well...though there were a few nice blitz packages where they put some nice pressure on the Texas QB.

Coe was mostly non-existent that game and Irvin was decent but nothing special. Both seemed to maneuver themselves OUT of plays more than into them...and perhaps some of the issues at LB relate to those two DL's not holding the intended gaps...it looked that way at times though I'm not enough of an expert to be certain. In comparison to the early and mid-season play of our defensive interior, I have no doubt that we will start the season ahead of last year's team...if not in sheer talent, in terms of discipline and holding the gap they are designated to hold. It seems certain to me that our LB play is going to improve with experience as well, and I think the D overall may be similar to, or slightly better, than what we fielded for most of last season. That isn't great, but its a long way from disaster...there times in that Texas game where the D looked very good, and they really seemed to step up after turnovers and hold Texas to a field goal or less.

DO think much will depend on the play of our two young safeties, a factor that gets less press than issues on the DL and at LB....as they will be needed for run support...but will have to be smart/talented enough to make sure they and everyone else is in the right place at the right time. That is two huge tasks for two very young and very talented kids. Wally's bend don't break D counts on keeping everything in front of the defense...give up the short stuff, to the point of driving us fans crazy...but never get beat deep. So the pressure on those two safeties, hopefully with some solid bench play from Floyd, is going to be immense. If they are up to it, I think everyone is going to be surrprised at the play of the defense.

One other thing...holy schmoly Sam Richardson (QB) looked good in this game. Made good decisions, ran VERY well, and was tremendously accurate on all but the very deep throws.I've been a bit on the Rohach wagon since the end of last year, but if Sam turns out to be the guy, I thnk he can be really good if he stays healthy. Its good to know we have two guys with solid experience competing with each other...pushing each other to get better...and a young gun in Lanning who may be the best of the bunch, eventually.

Agreed on Sam, he had some really good conference games last year where he was laying the hammer to the opposing WR's. IIRC, the Tech game he played very physical as well. I think between him and Tribune, CB should be the strength of the Defense. Lynn has a lot of experience too.

While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Speechless
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,685
    Given: 170

Go watch the Baylor game and report back.