Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 785
    Given: 509

Re: O'Bannon Decision-NCAA can't limit share revenue with athletes

Quote Originally Posted by everyyard View Post
    I'd be a little ****** as a lineman blocking for a star back that was getting paid and I might not block so well if he wasn't giving me some kickbacks from the jersey sales he is profiting from secondary to my blocking. Bad decision unless they pay all. You can't just pay the stars that jerseys are sold for in a team sport!
    I think the jersey sales could be expanded to include linemen numbers, except who wants to walk around in a gigantic jersey of a lineman.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,696
    Given: 158

Quote Originally Posted by everyyard View Post
    I'd be a little ****** as a lineman blocking for a star back that was getting paid and I might not block so well if he wasn't giving me some kickbacks from the jersey sales he is profiting from secondary to my blocking. Bad decision unless they pay all. You can't just pay the stars that jerseys are sold for in a team sport!
    Did the other US male Olympic swimmers not give it their all in the 4 X 100 medley, to spite Michael Phelps and his endorsements?

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Speechless
    Overall activity: 73.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,339
    Given: 84

Welp nfl and nba light here we come.

Rookie
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 53

well, this is the final (or possibly was the first depending on when you think it started) nail in the NCAA's coffin. Power 5 are "breaking off", paying "full cost" to athletes, allow "amateur" athletes to get paid -> I think it's suffice to say the NCAA is pretty much a shell of its former self and marked for a slow death.

Pro
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 194
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 461
    Given: 424

It will be interesting to see where this ends up in 5 years. I can see how this might widen a gap between the Power 5 teams but also between the Power 5 and everyone else. Should give is a leg up on the Houston, Rice, SMU, UCF, USFs of the world. Would be nice to snag some of the athletes they get. Maybe that would help us in the long run.

Addict
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 314
    Given: 113

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    I did read her decision. Her ruling on the trust fund has no legal basis, which is why it will be challenged and struck down. Talked with a lawyer tonight who couldn't do much more than just laugh at the silliness and inconsistency of this ruling, and predicts that it will generate numerous lawsuits that will chip away at any limits and restrictions imposed by the ruling. Kind of what Dodd was saying.

About the only way the trust fund and any limits can remain in place is if the players unionize, and then are subject to collective bargaining (such as with pro sports). The union could then agree to limits on compensation for likeness, and it would be binding.
    Agreed. The judge, essentially, has decided to set a limit on what these athletes could gain. It's really not all that different than what the NCAA did when you think about it. Either players can get compensation or they can't, it isn't for a judge to decide how much and/or how its delivered. The market should decide that, but when considering the past, the judge does need to set an amount per the lawsuit. I still don't think the judge should decide how its delivered (i.e. trust fund).

Ultimately, the NCAA can no longer profit from a specific player's likeness. That's the real issue IMO, and the only one that really matters as it is the principle complaint. Simply put: If a player isn't allowed to profit for his or her own likeness, no one should.

I do think that a specific player should be able to profit on his or her own from his or her likeness if the market provides for it. However, being that we are talking college athletics, I would like to see it so no one should be allowed to profit from a player's likeness, including the player while agreeing to play within the program. I think the rule should be that in order to play college football within the NCAA as an amateur, he or she must forgo profiting from their membership of the NCAA program (as will the school, school and TV/Radio sponsors, and NCAA). If an individual player chooses otherwise, then said player is welcome to go to Canada, Europe, the AFL, or any other organization that will allow it.

"The difference between keeping what you have all to yourself and coveting what someone else has lies within your willingness to give versus your desire to take"

- temperflare

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,082
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 179
    Given: 337

They just need to take the players names off jerseys, broadcasts, SportsCenter etc. None of these kids mind the free marketing they get as college athletes. Heck theres a new commercial with Matt Leinert, Heath Shuler and Brian Bosworth, three guys still cashing in on the collegiate fame. The next question is when are the going to start paying high school kids? There games are on TV, I can buy jerseys, shirts, all kinds of things.

All-Star
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 0

What legal basis is there to support a trust fund? These athletes are generally 18 years old and considered legally to be adults for most purposes.

Also, since the judge said the NCAA is violating anti-trust laws by restricting the compensation that can be made by the athletes for their likeness, doesn't that mean the athletes will be able to sign sponsorship deals outside of the NCAA, since the NCAA can no longer restrict this?
    Here is a more level-headed take on the ruling than what d-bag Dennis Dodd wrote up:

http://www.foxsports.com/college-foo...hletics-080814

Based on this story, athletes cannot sign sponsorship deals outside of the NCAA: "Wilken sided with the NCAA on just one major issue. She empathized with the organization's mission to prevent commercial exploitation of athletes and thus denied an attempt to allow product endorsements."

The other note-worthy item from this column: "Those caps are the sole silver linings for the NCAA. And in fact, if Wilken's ruling stands as the lone business change going forward (provided it's not overturned on appeal), then most major athletic departments would barely feel the brunt. It's basically a tax. Most SEC teams spend more per year on their defensive coordinator."

For ISU's sake, let's hope those caps stay in place.

Regarding licensing compensation, there won't be any for athletes if all P5 schools end up agreeing not to utilize likenesses of athletes on promotional materials such as FB and BB posters.

Last edited by cykadelic2; 08-09-2014 at 10:28 AM.

Legend
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 313
    Given: 194

Quote Originally Posted by cykadelic2 View Post
    Here is a more level-headed take on the ruling than what d-bag Dennis Dodd wrote up:

http://www.foxsports.com/college-foo...hletics-080814

Based on this story, athletes cannot sign sponsorship deals outside of the NCAA: "Wilken sided with the NCAA on just one major issue. She empathized with the organization's mission to prevent commercial exploitation of athletes and thus denied an attempt to allow product endorsements."

The other note-worthy item from this column: "Those caps are the sole silver linings for the NCAA. And in fact, if Wilken's ruling stands as the lone business change going forward (provided it's not overturned on appeal), then most major athletic departments would barely feel the brunt. It's basically a tax. Most SEC teams spend more per year on their defensive coordinator."

For ISU's sake, let's hope those caps stay in place.

Regarding licensing compensation, there won't be any for athletes if all P5 schools end up agreeing not to utilize likenesses of athletes on promotional materials such as FB and BB posters.
    As temperflare says, this ruling is internally inconsistent. On one hand it says that compensation can't be restricted, and then on the other hand puts restrictions on the compensation. She's just putting on a different set of restrictions compared to the restrictions the NCAA had. I understand that her ruling has limits and caps, but IMO over time these restrictions will be challenged and overturned. The article you quoted essentially says the same thing:

But don't kid yourself. Friday's ruling only opened the door for years and years of more lawsuits and perhaps even Congressional rulings. Wilken's strong words in deflating the amateurism model will become the template for thirsty lawyers smelling further NCAA blood -- like Jeffrey Kessler, the prominent labor lawyer who filed a claim last March against the NCAA and the Power 5 conferences seeking to lift college athlete compensation restriction entirely.

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Bowlsby on O'Bannon

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...-middle-ground

Doesn't sound too concerned. Has some questions, obviously, but the Full Cost of Attendance stuff was almost certainly going to happen anyway, now that the Power 5 have autonomy. I found this quote interesting. "Bowlsby said the ruling did not move to anything that would be perceived as professional sports and that the "collegiate model" remains largely intact." I'm also curious to hear what Delany says. Wasn't he the one who threatened that Big X schools would drop the scholarship model if O'Bannon won? I wonder if he's still barking up that tree?

-Simon Belmont

-Master Shake

-Lorem Ipsum

Legend
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 313
    Given: 194

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Janny View Post
    I'm also curious to hear what Delany says. Wasn't he the one who threatened that Big X schools would drop the scholarship model if O'Bannon won? I wonder if he's still barking up that tree?
    http://sportsjournalism.org/sports-m...-suit-results/

So far, I haven't seen any comments from the Big Ten, but will also be looking forward to what Delany has to say. Perhaps he will be subdued, since there are likely more lawsuits coming.

Kessler is after the big prize...

A free market for players is what sports attorney Jeffrey Kessler wants to bring to college sports in his Martin Jenkins lawsuit. The NCAA and conferences are scheduled to respond to the Jenkins and other scholarship lawsuits by Aug. 20.

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

http://sportsjournalism.org/sports-m...-suit-results/

So far, I haven't seen any comments from the Big Ten, but will also be looking forward to what Delany has to say. Perhaps he will be subdued, since there are likely more lawsuits coming.

Kessler is after the big prize...
    yeah, Kessler is the one that could bring everything down. He's after basically free agency.

-Simon Belmont

-Master Shake

-Lorem Ipsum