Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 362
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 5

Any guesses as to how the new "power 5" conference rules will impact ISU?

They clearly gain an advantage over non-power 5 conference schools which will help. Regarding other power 5 schools, my theory has been a lot of this stuff was already taking place at a lot of the traditional powerhouse schools off the books. If that is the case it should level the playing field for a school like ISU.

But at the very least this should get ISU some serious attention from any recruit considering a non-power 5 conference school and there are some outstanding players at those schools. It would be a smart move for the coaching staff to focus on 3 star recruits leaning toward the MAC, Conference USA, Mountain West, etc. because ISU just gained a big advantage over those schools.

Starter
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 185
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 40

Re: Any guesses as to how the new "power 5" conference rules will impact ISU?

I completely agree with you. This will broaden the gap between the P5 (thank your deity of choice ISU is in) and the lower levels. However, as long as the new "rules" are somewhat level towards the entire P5 then I think those teams will all be in good positions. I also believe that they will form these rules to be somewhat even because they don't want a free agent type system for no other reason than it will severely cut into their profits. Most of the time when you outlaw something it just pushes it underground and the less moral have no problem skirting the rules (I'm looking at you ESECPN).

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 458
    Given: 199

Positives- it will widen the gap between us and non power 5 schools.

Negatives- rules that would often negatively impact ISU would have had less traction before because the non power 5 schools would vote them down. Now ISU might be on the losing side of those debates, widening the gaps within the power 5.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 870
    Given: 619

With the Power 5 conferences making the rules now, this may force the Big 12 to add 2 teams it ordinarily wouldn't have - if the other 4 conferences overrule the Big 12 requiring a championship game and at least 12 teams to have that championship game. This would be a big disadvantage to the Big 12 until the next TV contract, but if it comes to pass it's one of those things the entire conference will just have to suck up.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Legend
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 505
    Given: 561

I won't get too excited until I see the actual rules, but as others have said there is a strong potential for them to benefit us greatly. Right now we compete with schools like Houston, Rice, Tulsa, USF, UCF, and so on for recruits much more than we recruit with schools like Texas or Alabama. If we're able to offer an enhanced scholarship and other opportunities to those mid level recruits we're much more likely to get them than we are currently. It isn't going to help us get more superstars, but it has the potential to give us much more depth and consistency.

Walk On
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 362
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by Judoka View Post
    I won't get too excited until I see the actual rules, but as others have said there is a strong potential for them to benefit us greatly. Right now we compete with schools like Houston, Rice, Tulsa, USF, UCF, and so on for recruits much more than we recruit with schools like Texas or Alabama. If we're able to offer an enhanced scholarship and other opportunities to those mid level recruits we're much more likely to get them than we are currently. It isn't going to help us get more superstars, but it has the potential to give us much more depth and consistency.
    That's exactly my point. If I'm a coach in Ames I can get on the phone with a recruit considering any of those schools and point out the $x,xxx dollar stipend etc which he won't get at Boise State, Louisville, UCF, etc. At a minimum that should get a recruit interested in taking a visit. After that the facilities which are better than most of the non-power 5 schools further impress.

Once the smoke clears and this is clarified the athletic department should revise their recruiting brochure to market this advantage. Iowa State, Power 5 member.

This could be a game changer assuming he coaching staff and AD market it to maximum potential.

Addict
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 213
    Given: 270

I think it's going to effect basketball more than football. A lot more above average programs outside the power 5 than in football. You're a bball stud recruit and you can go play at Butler or Georgia...you may have more a reason to go to Georgia now

“One day we’ll be in here celebrating a Big 12 championship,” Rhoads said. “That I can promise you.”

"I hope to coach here until I retire," Hoiberg said.
    @AtownCY

Starter
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 491
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 60

Quote Originally Posted by Newell View Post
    That's exactly my point. If I'm a coach in Ames I can get on the phone with a recruit considering any of those schools and point out the $x,xxx dollar stipend etc which he won't get at Boise State, Louisville, UCF, etc. At a minimum that should get a recruit interested in taking a visit. After that the facilities which are better than most of the non-power 5 schools further impress.

Once the smoke clears and this is clarified the athletic department should revise their recruiting brochure to market this advantage. Iowa State, Power 5 member.

This could be a game changer assuming he coaching staff and AD market it to maximum potential.
    My concern is that the guy on the phone from Texas has more of these $x,xxx dollar stipend etc to give out than does ISU.

Addict
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,981
    Given: 495

Quote Originally Posted by SCarolinaCy View Post
    My concern is that the guy on the phone from Texas has more of these $x,xxx dollar stipend etc to give out than does ISU.

Or, like housing allowances, now, apparently (comment from Farniok, I think at media days), ISU has $x,xxx stipend, and Texas has $xx,xxx stipend.

Addict
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 254
    Given: 93

I think the big question here is basically a salary cap. As long as the maximum stipends are something that every power 5 school can pay, this would be a huge plus to ISU. We would have a major leg up on recruiting against the top mid-majors, and we wouldn't be stuck in a position where the bigger budget power 5 schools can use that to further separate themselves from the pack.

I really don't see how this helps the traditional powers all that much. Schools like UT, OU, Ohio State, Bama, etc. sign classes full of top tier players already. There really isn't any room for them to be able to raise their recruiting by using this. Hell, even in a worst case scenario where they are allowed to pay a lot more than we can afford, they are really fighting among themselves for recruits, they aren't going up against us.

Legend
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 505
    Given: 561

Quote Originally Posted by aeroclone View Post
    I think the big question here is basically a salary cap. As long as the maximum stipends are something that every power 5 school can pay, this would be a huge plus to ISU. We would have a major leg up on recruiting against the top mid-majors, and we wouldn't be stuck in a position where the bigger budget power 5 schools can use that to further separate themselves from the pack.

I really don't see how this helps the traditional powers all that much. Schools like UT, OU, Ohio State, Bama, etc. sign classes full of top tier players already. There really isn't any room for them to be able to raise their recruiting by using this. Hell, even in a worst case scenario where they are allowed to pay a lot more than we can afford, they are really fighting among themselves for recruits, they aren't going up against us.
    I think you're correct. I'm still hoping the stipend is just a flat amount that is agreeable to all the Big 5 schools. Though I'm still interested in finding out how it might work in non-revenue and non-headcount sports.

Addict
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,981
    Given: 495

The other thing I hadn't thought of, but you give a young kid some money, he will probably do stupid things with it. You give him more money, he'll do more stupid things. The big boys may have more problems with kids getting in trouble if they're paying more.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,152
    Given: 1,794

It likely won't do anything that benefits ISU, as we'd be one of the lower performers financially. We'll be voted into submission one way or the other, whether it's facilities that we can't afford, stipends we can't afford, or something else.

The stakes will be higher, and we'll have fewer and fewer opportunities to accomplish anything on our limited budget.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Pro
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 432
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 234
    Given: 175

When everyone in a Power 5 conference makes $20 mill + from TV deals, every school should be able to devote the same amount of stipends for their athletes. They may not want to, but they're fully capable.

Legend
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 254
    Given: 146

The Big Boys don't always score awesome classes. Take a look at UT and OU from the link below for 2014. The significant majority of those classes are 3-star and less, so there is plenty of room for them to upgrade to 4-star and 5-star. If there is no "salary cap", or a very high cap, it will ensure that the few rich schools are always loaded, and will make dethroning them almost impossible. As we've seen in the Big 12, under the present system it is quite possible to knock UT and OU (the richest schools) from conference championships.

If there is a stpiend cap low enough that ISU can afford to pay it, I think it will help ISU. If there is no cap, or a high cap such that ISU cannot afford to pay the full amount, it will not help ISU. In the latter case, the talent level at ISU may improve, but the talent level at richer schools relative to ISU (which will be most of the schools in the Power 5) will improve more, and it will become difficult to jump up in the conference. In essence, a caste system will develop.

http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecr...k/2014/all/all

I haven't really heard what the big schools are pushing for, but my fear is that it be would no cap or a very high cap.

Last edited by jbhtexas; 08-08-2014 at 03:03 PM.
    "Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy