Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,368
    Given: 86

Re: Leath

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Absolutely. Bury your head in the sand. many VEISHA activities during the day were not alcoholic adventures. It was nighttime problems. Perhaps a superior concert outdoors in JTS would keep some of the shenangans off the street.
    I like this idea.

Rookie
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 29

Just to derail the convo slightly I talked to Pres Leath today at the fair, he looked like he was getting tired of commenting on the Veisha deal haha. Anyways he said demolition on Davidson Hall is set to begin within 6 months, YEAH a shiny new building on Campus!

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 24

Here's my two cents: I've talked to several people throughout the community and none of them blame Leath for the decision. In fact, most agree with the decision, but are disappointed that certain things are ending (mostly the parade for children).

Admittedly, the people I talked to are all non-students, but I think the Ames community widely agreed with the decision.

Starter
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 220
    Given: 1,282

All Leath did was go hide in a closet with few constructive suggestions. Blame the rioters. Blame the enablers. Blame the fball players. Yet I do not see much effort to find a solution except to ****can everything.

He gets a C- for effort. Maybe he had to go on another safari.
    First, you're kidding, right?

Second, you umm are a big personal responsibilty person, at least the people that you follow and link like it's gospel, how is this anything but the rioters fault?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 796
    Given: 526

Quote Originally Posted by cylove View Post
    First, you're kidding, right?

Second, you umm are a big personal responsibilty person, at least the people that you follow and link like it's gospel, how is this anything but the rioters fault?
    That is what I said. Blame the people who rioted.

Yet be more constructive than cancelling everything. Have a semi future plan of something for spring thrown on the table. Hiding behind the zombie committee is....hiding.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Starter
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 220
    Given: 1,282

That is what I said. Blame the people who rioted.

Yet be more constructive than cancelling everything. Have a semi future plan of something for spring thrown on the table. Hiding behind the zombie committee is....hiding.
    Sorry, I misunderstood what you were implying.

However, this is not your grandfather's VEISHA anymore. It has become a glorified Mardi Gras. Kids no longer think of this as a celebration of Iowa State, at least until their parents arrive. This has become all about the party.

There are only so many chances you can give before you have to take it away.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,632
    Given: 2,127

Quote Originally Posted by cylove View Post
    Sorry, I misunderstood what you were implying.

However, this is not your grandfather's VEISHA anymore. It has become a glorified Mardi Gras. Kids no longer think of this as a celebration of Iowa State, at least until their parents arrive. This has become all about the party.

There are only so many chances you can give before you have to take it away.
    Interesting ISU connection here: Wesleybot's grandfather is the original Atanasoff computer.
    True story.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Addict
    Overall activity: 99.3%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,952
    Given: 124

I shouldn't be surprised that people are blaming Leath for VEISHA and not the drunken ****** bag rioters. In this day and age where people blame McDonalds for them being a fat ***, of course people are going to put the blame anywhere other than where it belongs. I'm addicted to meth, but it's not my fault, it's the fault of the manager at Walgreens for selling me Sudafed that I can use to make it. I'm massively in debt because I like to spend a bunch of money on clothes, but it's not my fault, it's Macys fault because their clothes are nice.

How many chances do you get before you call it a night? People talk about trying to control the alcohol, but does anyone remember why supposedly the hostilities originally causing the 04 riot happened? It's because VEISHA was dry and the students didn't like it. You can live in an idealistic world all you want and pretend like students care about more than drinking, but it's just not the truth. Even if you improved the concert series as suggested here, do you HONESTLY think that will cause most of the students drinking on Welch or going go house parties to go there instead? And even if they do, what do you think they're going to do after the concert? Go to Perkins for pie?

All-Star
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 249
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 88
    Given: 462

Quote Originally Posted by cyrocksmypants View Post
    I shouldn't be surprised that people are blaming Leath for VEISHA and not the drunken ****** bag rioters. In this day and age where people blame McDonalds for them being a fat ***, of course people are going to put the blame anywhere other than where it belongs. I'm addicted to meth, but it's not my fault, it's the fault of the manager at Walgreens for selling me Sudafed that I can use to make it. I'm massively in debt because I like to spend a bunch of money on clothes, but it's not my fault, it's Macys fault because their clothes are nice.

How many chances do you get before you call it a night? People talk about trying to control the alcohol, but does anyone remember why supposedly the hostilities originally causing the 04 riot happened? It's because VEISHA was dry and the students didn't like it. You can live in an idealistic world all you want and pretend like students care about more than drinking, but it's just not the truth. Even if you improved the concert series as suggested here, do you HONESTLY think that will cause most of the students drinking on Welch or going go house parties to go there instead? And even if they do, what do you think they're going to do after the concert? Go to Perkins for pie?
    What do you think canceling the non problem activities is going to do. Absolutely nothing there are already multiple unofficial VEISHA party things.

That is where the problem lies your punishing people not involved in something for the actions of others and the punishment more than likely isn't even going to stop the problems.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jkclone View Post
    What do you think canceling the non problem activities is going to do. Absolutely nothing there are already multiple unofficial VEISHA party things.

That is where the problem lies your punishing people not involved in something for the actions of others and the punishment more than likely isn't even going to stop the problems.
    So let's say you and your sibling are taken to the park by your mom. You're all having fun and playing, but your sibling is being a brat, throwing fits and breaking playground equiptment. Is your mom just going to leave you there while taking your sibling home to punish them? Or are you going to have to go with even though you were behaving yourself? Often in life, everyone gets punished because others are misbehaving. Same as in sports. When I played, the whole team ran when one person did something stupid.

And I think it will prevent things. Off the top of my head, I can't think of all too many student riots in Ames outside of VEISHA.

All-Star
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 249
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 88
    Given: 462

So let's say you and your sibling are taken to the park by your mom. You're all having fun and playing, but your sibling is being a brat, throwing fits and breaking playground equiptment. Is your mom just going to leave you there while taking your sibling home to punish them? Or are you going to have to go with even though you were behaving yourself? Often in life, everyone gets punished because others are misbehaving. Same as in sports. When I played, the whole team ran when one person did something stupid.

And I think it will prevent things. Off the top of my head, I can't think of all too many student riots in Ames outside of VEISHA.
    See you aren't getting it. To the students that are going to go drink and party nothing has changed. That is the problem it is still going to be VEISHA to them.

To your analogy though it is different like I said. I don't think there will necessarily be a riot this year but in your case the problem is stopped by punishing both kids. In the VEISHA issue it really won't prevent anything.

Pro
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 1,236
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 176

Quote Originally Posted by CYphyllis View Post
    Yeah, pretty much. You're going to believe what you want to believe and I'm not interested enough to have any desire to change that. This isn't about Bubu though, so let's not completely derail it with your whimsical beliefs.
    Have you ever been able to disagree with someone on here without being a complet ******* about it?

Last edited by Angie; 08-10-2014 at 07:55 PM.
    "The fact that anybody can say anything does not mean that anything anybody says is worth hearing"

Pro
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,290
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Given: 5

Alright. I keep seeing this whole "you're punishing the wrong people" shtick, but I guess I don't follow how these unofficial parties (which everyone admits are part of the problem) are going to be a lasting thing. Honest question, but without any of the non-problem activities, how well are the problem "activities" going to be attended and advertised? I mean hell, even in 05 when most of the activities still took place, VEISHEA week/end was a shell of itself.

I also think 05 was ramped up because it wasn't much before it that Geoffrey announced VEISHEA would be back in 06.

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

See you aren't getting it. To the students that are going to go drink and party nothing has changed. That is the problem it is still going to be VEISHA to them.

To your analogy though it is different like I said. I don't think there will necessarily be a riot this year but in your case the problem is stopped by punishing both kids. In the VEISHA issue it really won't prevent anything.
    Except you generally don't see giant riot inducing bar goings and house parties on a Tuesday in non-VEISHA weeks.

You can try to seperate the VEISHA activities from the students drinking and say one doesn't relate to the other all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that the mentality of the students is going to be any different. VEISHA never officially condoned drinking in the first place. The students just did it more and harder because it was VEISHA week. For as long as VEISHA would exist, that would never change.

And I feel my example was fine. The damage of the playground equiptment was stopped by removing the kids and going home. The riots will stop (unless some group specifically decides to start one just to prove a point) with VEISHA gone. I'm sure you can find one or two, but you'd be hard up to find too many student caused riots in Ames that didn't revolve around VEISHA.

If I have a party one Saturday every month and someone gets assaulted at every party, if I stop having those parties, chances are I'll stop having people getting assaulted at my house. Not everyone at my party was assaulting people, and they're going to suffer because they won't be able to have the party to go to, but I'll be able to stop having stupid people assaulting others at my home.

Addict
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,827
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,970
    Given: 2,621

Except you generally don't see giant riot inducing bar goings and house parties on a Tuesday in non-VEISHA weeks.

You can try to seperate the VEISHA activities from the students drinking and say one doesn't relate to the other all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that the mentality of the students is going to be any different. VEISHA never officially condoned drinking in the first place. The students just did it more and harder because it was VEISHA week. For as long as VEISHA would exist, that would never change.

And I feel my example was fine. The damage of the playground equiptment was stopped by removing the kids and going home. The riots will stop (unless some group specifically decides to start one just to prove a point) with VEISHA gone. I'm sure you can find one or two, but you'd be hard up to find too many student caused riots in Ames that didn't revolve around VEISHA.

If I have a party one Saturday every month and someone gets assaulted at every party, if I stop having those parties, chances are I'll stop having people getting assaulted at my house. Not everyone at my party was assaulting people, and they're going to suffer because they won't be able to have the party to go to, but I'll be able to stop having stupid people assaulting others at my home.
    So don't invite the ones doing the assaulting. :)

As for your park scenario, you forgot one. The child who's misbehaving gets to sit his *** down next to me and watch the other children playing.