Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,520
    Given: 143

Big XII leading the way

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...e-and-likeness

Small steps, but steps nonetheless. I think they're starting to see the writing on the wall. The NCAA model is outdated, misguided, and possibly illegal. 5 years from now, college athletics are going to be a lot different.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Pro
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 419
    Given: 370

Re: Big XII leading the way

Paying athletes for their names and likenesses is absolutely correct. The mutually beneficial agreement happens on the field -- George gets training and coaching and, in return, George delivers a high level of play. It is a sham that ISU could sell Jeremiah George jerseys and profit off of him in ancillary goods like merchandise.

All-Star
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 869
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 788
    Given: 387

Creating a workable model that pays players while sustaining the NCAA's precious 'competitive equity'...well, officials don't seem ready to go there yet.
    This. Somebody needs to explain to me how we start paying players for their likeness and name, and not expect that the major players like tOSU, Alabama, FSU, OU, Texas - who already dominate the money game, won't actually increase their advantage when they can afford to pay more for a likeness.

Seems to me that once the money starts getting handed out, it'll be way to easy to funnel more and more to the top players. And as such - we may as well let the top 10 (money) programs just play in their own league, because there will be no chance at parity.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 553
    Given: 74

Quote Originally Posted by RubyClone View Post
    This. Somebody needs to explain to me how we start paying players for their likeness and name, and not expect that the major players like tOSU, Alabama, FSU, OU, Texas - who already dominate the money game, won't actually increase their advantage when they can afford to pay more for a likeness.

Seems to me that once the money starts getting handed out, it'll be way to easy to funnel more and more to the top players. And as such - we may as well let the top 10 (money) programs just play in their own league, because there will be no chance at parity.
    Stupid argument. They can still only roster so many players and a lot of those players are going to go to one of those "10" schools anyway.

It's all snark from here on out

Asst. Regional Manager
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 827
    Given: 808

Quote Originally Posted by im4cyclones View Post
    Paying athletes for their names and likenesses is absolutely correct. The mutually beneficial agreement happens on the field -- George gets training and coaching and, in return, George delivers a high level of play. It is a sham that ISU could sell Jeremiah George jerseys and profit off of him in ancillary goods like merchandise.

But ISU also gave George the platform to showcase his talents and now he's making 6-7 figures.

@RandomGeoFacts

Addict
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 447
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 399
    Given: 503

If it happens that is exactly what will happen. I like the idea, in theory, for paying players but still haven't seen a model that won't make the rich a lot richer.

"But letís see if the Cyclones can give everyone a nice big ****burger to eat. Opportunity awaits." -Brent Blum

"I am the one who knocks" -Walter White

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Tre4ISU View Post
    Stupid argument. They can still only roster so many players and a lot of those players are going to go to one of those "10" schools anyway.

So you think if Allen Lazard could get paid in college, he's not going to the highest bidder? Which almost certainly isn't ISU?

We're lucky when we get a top prospect. Throw money into the equation - we have no chance. This happens, and we may as well another division because the "have nots" will be even worse off.

And I'm not saying kids in college shouldn't get a little something - but IMO it has to be even across all, and not some sort of tiered system.

Last edited by mj4cy; 08-07-2014 at 10:08 AM.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

So you think if Allen Lazard could get paid in college, he's not going to the highest bidder? Which almost certainly isn't ISU?

We're lucky when we get a top prospect. Throw money into the equation - we have no chance. This happens, and we may as well another division because the "have nots" will be even worse off.

And I'm not saying kids in college shouldn't get a little something - but IMO it has to be even across all, and not some sort of tiered system.
    Do you think Lazard didn't have the option of taking some money from someone and do you think under a different system ISU wouldn't offer the same for someone like him?

Last edited by mj4cy; 08-07-2014 at 10:08 AM.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mj4cy View Post
    But ISU also gave George the platform to showcase his talents and now he's making 6-7 figures.
    Right. This is the issue I have BUT it's a different issue. I don't like that people don't consider the opportunity these guys are given to showcase and that people don't consider the value of a degree, but likeness is a different issue.

Addict
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 447
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 399
    Given: 503

Huh? You really don't think big schools being able to pay big money is going to create even worse parity then there already is in college football?

"But letís see if the Cyclones can give everyone a nice big ****burger to eat. Opportunity awaits." -Brent Blum

"I am the one who knocks" -Walter White

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Do you think Lazard didn't have the option of taking some money from someone and do you think under a different system ISU wouldn't offer the same for someone like him?
    Well - right now he can't take money by rule. So there's a consequence he's perhaps not willing to accept.

But if it's within the rules, and somehow contingent upon worth (whatever you want to call it, but not equal among all players, all schools) then there's a bidding war. And you really think ISU could offer as much (to as many players) as an Alabama or Texas or X other schools.

The competitive gap will open even further. Worse yet, once this happens in FB, it'll extend to every other sport too and we can then kiss a lot of top prospects in MBB goodbye as well.

Face it - money corrupts everything and we don't have the money.

Pro
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 424
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 234
    Given: 176

The only model that works IMO is the so-called Division 4, where total revenue is spilt evenly and divided among everyone on that level equally. Every athlete and every school receives the same amount, sort of like the NFL's merchandise agreement. Do the Cowboys sell more stuff/generate more interest than the Jags? Of course they so. All teams divide it evenly though. Without an agreement like this, the same universities that can offer the most money will always dominate recruiting and any semblance of a fair competition is out the door.

I dont think any of this ever happens though. Schools like Texas make it's money, schools like Texas will want to keep its money.

Last edited by JohnnyFive; 08-07-2014 at 10:08 AM.

Legend
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 547
    Given: 838

Ok - well **** you too.

Paying players is actually an equalizer (especially if done with a salary cap). Look at recruiting the past 30-50 years- it is not an open market now, as the currencies are tradition, location, and arms-race spending. Paying players removes barriers to entry. It is a lot easier for a school to sneak in a better offer last minute than change tradition or location.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman38 View Post
    Huh? You really don't think big schools being able to pay big money is going to create even worse parity then there already is in college football?
    Well - right now he can't take money by rule. So there's a consequence he's perhaps not willing to accept.

But if it's within the rules, and somehow contingent upon worth (whatever you want to call it, but not equal among all players, all schools) then there's a bidding war. And you really think ISU could offer as much (to as many players) as an Alabama or Texas or X other schools.

The competitive gap will open even further. Worse yet, once this happens in FB, it'll extend to every other sport too and we can then kiss a lot of top prospects in MBB goodbye as well.

Face it - money corrupts everything and we don't have the money.
    You guys aren't getting it. Where are the best recruits going right now? They are already going to those programs. They will just get paid more by going to them now. When's the last time we beat those guys for a recruit under the current system? The recruit distribution would be the same. There are only so many spots at those schools. It's not like they can just pay however many players they want and it wouldn't surprise me to see scholarship limits reduced slightly actually increasing parity.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Right. This is the issue I have BUT it's a different issue. I don't like that people don't consider the opportunity these guys are given to showcase and that people don't consider the value of a degree, but likeness is a different issue.
    This I agree with as well. And I expect that the NCAA and other institutions will try to circumvent this by no longer allowing such likenesses. But that train has already left the station.

What are some examples of where Jeremiah should get some $$ for use of his likeness? Or even go back to Seneca, probably the most marketable ISU FB in recent memory.

Last edited by RubyClone; 08-07-2014 at 10:18 AM.