Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 184
    Given: 823

Re: Will not get excited till after the first game.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTB78 View Post
    Aren't KSU and OSU both in the top 25 pre-season?
    No. K-State and Texas.

Part of this fanbase is like the parable of the blind men and the elephant.

Who knew?

All-Star
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 346
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 59
    Given: 198

After reading Trey's evaluations of our QB, RB and receivers on the Scout board, I am having a hard time containing my enthusiasm for this team this season and the 15,16 seasons as well. But, I too bought my first season tickets to ISU football in the 1970's so by now I have learned to dilute the Kool Aid until at least November.

The sky is the limit. We are trying to win every game. We are going to try to get to that big stage, the Final Four, and play on. Morris (May 2014)
    “If you take a look at this group, we’re extremely talented 1-15. We have a lot of talented guys in this locker room — all guys who are willing to put their agendas aside to win. That separates good teams from great teams.” Niang (Oct 2014)

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 224
    Given: 542

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonic1 View Post
    After reading Trey's evaluations of our QB, RB and receivers on the Scout board, I am having a hard time containing my enthusiasm for this team this season and the 15,16 seasons as well. But, I too bought my first season tickets to ISU football in the 1970's so by now I have learned to dilute the Kool Aid until at least November.

All it took was for me to watch the replay of last years games. That pretty much took the wind out of my sails as far as hoping for great QB play.

All-Star
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 508
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 60

Quote Originally Posted by ajk4st8 View Post
    All it took was for me to watch the replay of last years games. That pretty much took the wind out of my sails as far as hoping for great QB play.
    It's very difficult to have great QB play without great OL play. Our OL play last season was very poor at times, hence the lack of quality QB play.

P.J. Farmer rocks!

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 624
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 180
    Given: 30

Quote Originally Posted by Beyerball View Post
    While I tend to agree on the first game prognosis it's not always the case. In 2008 we won the first two games, albeit against terrible teams and we destroyed those teams and ended up having a terrible season. The 2011-12 season we beat UNI by 1pt on a prayer yet we still made a bowl game that year.

Will the ndsu game be an accurate judge of how our season will go? It's hard to tell as although ndsu is #1 ranked pre season they also lost a ton of starters. Honestly I'm glad we are playing ndsu rather than UNI again. It would not surprise me one bit if UNI shocked Iowa game 1.

Last year Mess thought we could just run that stupid zone read play all game and just man handle UNI and on defense we clearly were unprepared. Not t mention all the injuries etc..

I'm just hoping for a healthy fall camp that's it. If we can stay healthy I think we will be better than many think. It has already been said by numerous players that this team is a complete 360 in morale than last year and that alone can make a big difference.
    I think you mean 180. Otherwise that isn't a good sign.

Rip 'n Shred - Shred 'n Rip

Check out my ratings site!

Addict
    Overall activity: 99.3%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,934
    Given: 124

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    I could not agree more.

This first game will say a lot about this year's team. Last year I was told to relax after the UNI debacle, but it in fact did accurately predict the rest of our season.
    To be fair, though, you lose your **** the moment the team first goes three and out in a game. You're the definition of overreacting during games. So, you do need to relax more in general when it comes to ISU athletics.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 585
    Given: 56

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonic1 View Post
    The 2015 season should be very good IMO. We will return a wealth of talent and experience.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 915
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 0

The team unity and attitude is the best it's been in years. The coaches are listening to the players, and the players LOVE the new coaches. Players are pumped. Mess threw his own players under the bus and coach kluker ran his linemen into the ground while berating them and I State.

Addict
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 117
    Given: 198

Quote Originally Posted by ketelmeister View Post
    The team unity and attitude is the best it's been in years. The coaches are listening to the players, and the players LOVE the new coaches. Players are pumped. Mess threw his own players under the bus and coach kluker ran his linemen into the ground while berating them and I State.
    I'll be interested to see the OL play after all of the Klenakis comments. CPR must not have thought he was that bad - Klenakis didn't get fired, but instead left for Louisville...

Addict
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 361

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    I'll be interested to see the OL play after all of the Klenakis comments. CPR must not have thought he was that bad - Klenakis didn't get fired, but instead left for Louisville...
    Yeah, but Rhoads loves him some blue collar lunch pail type coaches. Even if they do run your guys to death. I'm sure Rhoads' opinion is that you can't possibly run a kid too much.

He might feel differently this year after seeing all the injuries we had there last year and how they got manhandled by teams like UNI.

Pro
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,405
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
    I have been a fan since 1971. In more than 40 years of following ISU, I have learned that the first game says a lot for what to expect for the rest of the year. Last year we played UNI, a team that give fewer scholarships and has a very small recruiting budget compared to ours. Facilities also should not compare. We should not lose to UNI. Their leading rusher had something 220 yards and our QB was sacked 6 times. UNI dominated both lines of scrimmage. Their DL dominated our OL and their OL did the same with our DL. After the Iowa game Coach Rhodes said that we did not see Rohach in the Iowa game because he was not ready. If Rohach was not ready for the Iowa game then he was not ready for the UNI game. It appears we had one scholarship QB prepared for the UNI game. If that is true then why did Richardson have 22 rushing attempts (a terrible coaching decision). I know 6 of those were sacks, but why put your QB at risk early in the season against a non league opponent. Richardson hurt his ankle and was not effective the rest of the year. ISU was greatly outcoached by UNI last year. UNI knew how to attack ISU, and ISU was clueless attacking UNI. I have a lot of concerns. The OL could be good this year, but they have had 3 different OL coaches, each with different techniques, in 3 years. Our QB's have primarily had their best games against Kansas and WV. I want to see them play effectively against top talent in the league. The defense has a lot of holes to fill and the front 7 will continue to be undersized and have difficulty stopping teams with power rushing offenses. Since the spring there has been a lot of positive hype and news. I will wait to get excited until after I watch the first game.
    Cyborg...i can agree with your position of not overreacting - i have a different opinion on the impacts of changes and outlooks.

1. It was perfectly obvious that there was serious mishappenings on the sidelines and im sure in meetings with philosophy between CPR and Coach K. That said, the linemans reactions to his accepting of a position at Arkansas was received in a manner that is unusual in todays game. Typically the words after a move is that of wishing good luck not relief. So that to me is a sign that our linemans head will be in a better place to start the season and game.

2. When is the last time that we placed multiple guys on the all big 12 teams? Probably never in your 40 years of watching ISU football. That to me bodes well for us in the grand scheme of developing players. Our OL is in a position it has not been maybe ever in not only the quality of player but also the depth.

3. Development of players as the season went along is a huge in my mind. Bondrage, Rohach, Richardson, Bibbs, Wimberly, OL as a whole....this teams offensive skill exceeded its coaching. Under this new regime i expect it to eclipse last years accomplishments early in the season. The defensive coaches have always been kicked in the groin because the offense could not sustain drives and ball control. Thus they were defending short fields and on the field too much. IF this offense can sustain drives and not turn it over, the defense will be better - regardless of players lost.

I will hold my expectations as once again this team plays a very difficult schedule. However, i posted about this in the game some 5-6 years ago when ISU was playing at KU and Mangino was the coach. That teams offense played some incredible team ball and if you ever watch one of those games - watch the wr block for the running plays - it was beautiful! If our team has that on offense this year - it will be incredibly fun to watch football come fall!!!!!

Addict
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 361

Quote Originally Posted by SCarolinaCy View Post
    Actually, I thought ISU played very well against UNI. Few penalties. Few turnovers. Pretty good offense.

The difference was being 1) ISU forced to attempt FG when close to the goal line 2) an unstoppable UNI running back that got better the closer he got to the goal line.
    I beg to differ..... sorry.

You might need to watch this to refresh your memory. It wouldn't be a bad idea to show this to the ISU team this year before we hit the field against NDSU too possibly? Remind them to strap it up and come out with a chip on their shoulder. It was about as ugly as it could have been. UNI could have almost named the score. Remember they gave up on our 1 yd line at the end or it would have been 35-20 instead of 28-20.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 447
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 638
    Given: 292

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    Or just a tendency to give coaches a chance to improve. He not only was ready to give Klenakis a second season, but he also did give Mess a second season as OC after a disappointing first season.

All-Star
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 77
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 143
    Given: 209

Quote Originally Posted by Luth4Cy View Post
    Or just a tendency to give coaches a chance to improve. He not only was ready to give Klenakis a second season, but he also did give Mess a second season as OC after a disappointing first season.
    Agree with you. Hard to fire a guy you just hired the same year. Especially with monuments of inefficiency throughout the rest of the program. Very glad Klenakis left of his own accord.

Starter
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 390
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Given: 19

....there's been plenty of games in a variety of weeks that got me excited for the next one....and it usually doesn't end well. As a matter of fact...when was the last time anyone felt comfortable about ISU playing well for 2 consecutive games?

Even the times they played well the week before in the past few seasons...they struggled to beat really bad KU teams the week after.

The NDSU game is a reason for excitement if ISU wins something like 42-7 with a limited playbook, because they actually dominate someone.