Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 501
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 0

Re: Will not get excited till after the first game.

While I tend to agree on the first game prognosis it's not always the case. In 2008 we won the first two games, albeit against terrible teams and we destroyed those teams and ended up having a terrible season. The 2011-12 season we beat UNI by 1pt on a prayer yet we still made a bowl game that year.

Will the ndsu game be an accurate judge of how our season will go? It's hard to tell as although ndsu is #1 ranked pre season they also lost a ton of starters. Honestly I'm glad we are playing ndsu rather than UNI again. It would not surprise me one bit if UNI shocked Iowa game 1.

Last year Mess thought we could just run that stupid zone read play all game and just man handle UNI and on defense we clearly were unprepared. Not t mention all the injuries etc..

I'm just hoping for a healthy fall camp that's it. If we can stay healthy I think we will be better than many think. It has already been said by numerous players that this team is a complete 360 in morale than last year and that alone can make a big difference.

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 88
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 493
    Given: 275

Quote Originally Posted by Beyerball View Post
    While I tend to agree on the first game prognosis it's not always the case. In 2008 we won the first two games, albeit against terrible teams and we destroyed those teams and ended up having a terrible season. The 2011-12 season we beat UNI by 1pt on a prayer yet we still made a bowl game that year.

Will the ndsu game be an accurate judge of how our season will go? It's hard to tell as although ndsu is #1 ranked pre season they also lost a ton of starters. Honestly I'm glad we are playing ndsu rather than UNI again. It would not surprise me one bit if UNI shocked Iowa game 1.

Last year Mess thought we could just run that stupid zone read play all game and just man handle UNI and on defense we clearly were unprepared. Not t mention all the injuries etc..

I'm just hoping for a healthy fall camp that's it. If we can stay healthy I think we will be better than many think. It has already been said by numerous players that this team is a complete 360 in moral than last year and that alone can make a big difference.
    The injury thing is a fair point. I don't know if a healthy Tom Farniok would have made the difference between winning or losing the UNI game, but it definitely didn't help a bad situation.

As for the second bolded part, do you have a link? I know Farniok's feelings on Klenakis leaving were well documented, but I don't remember hearing anyone else say anything about team morale or chemistry. I'd like to see what other players have said.

All-Star
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,042
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 201

Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    Anyone who saw the CGC scrimmage knows that Rohach pulled his hamstring that day. He was flat out not ready to play the first few weeks. Doesn't excuse running Richardson 22 times...especially after his moped wreck. UNI totally outcoached ISU on both sides of the ball. They forced SR to keep the ball and then hit him. And Messingham kept running the zone read anyway. On D, Wally stuck with Miller at WILL even though he was having one of the worst games I've ever seen an ISU player have. They kept running right at Miller and he kept missing tackles. It was a really sad sight. ISU didn't get things fixed until the UT game and having that one taken away from them sent the team into a nose dive.

I'm excited for the first game, but if they can't beat NDSU, they are in for a long season. I'm hopeful that the staff can figure things out.
    Didn't Miller get pulled after the 3rd consecutive scoring drive that UNI ran right past him? Then it became a competitive game but was already too late.

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 131
    Given: 957

If only we had Jake and AJ for 1 more year (last year). The UNI debacle wouldn't have happened, I would assume that they would have closed the holes that David Johnson ran through that night forcing UNI to something else. Obviously the offense sucked but getting down big right away didn't help.

The big thing that needs to happen against NDSU is to get off early, get 3 and outs and move the ball down the field and score in the first half. I don't want to see a dog fight if we can help it. I don't think we blow them out by any means but a 2 td cushion throughout he game would be nice. NDSU won't fold since they have nothing to lose.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Me State View Post
    Didn't Miller get pulled after the 3rd consecutive scoring drive that UNI ran right past him? Then it became a competitive game but was already too late.
    Yeah, IIRC he got pulled and replaced by Luke Knott. But let's not turn this into a Miller bashing thread. He was dreadful at times last year, but in fairness he played better toward the end of last season. Whether posters here like it or not he's going to be counted on as a big part of the defense this upcoming season.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 303

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneVet View Post
    If only we had Jake and AJ for 1 more year (last year). The UNI debacle wouldn't have happened, I would assume that they would have closed the holes that David Johnson ran through that night forcing UNI to something else. Obviously the offense sucked but getting down big right away didn't help.

The big thing that needs to happen against NDSU is to get off early, get 3 and outs and move the ball down the field and score in the first half. I don't want to see a dog fight if we can help it. I don't think we blow them out by any means but a 2 td cushion throughout he game would be nice. NDSU won't fold since they have nothing to lose.
    I would hope that Iowa State wouldn't need two of it's best LBs in school history in order to beat UNI. But you are correct, it sure would have helped.

I just cannot for the life of me explain that UNI debacle last year. It set this football program back a long ways IMO. It wasn't as if UNI resorted to some fancy trick plays to beat us, they just lined up and physically dominated us and their RB ran for 220 yds and it could have been more if they wanted to.

We had all off season to prepare for that game, and we came out completely unprepared and we also lacked any kind of emotion or energy. Maybe Klenakis did run them into the ground and they had nothing left by the time the season started, I don't know? It was just a lack of preparation all the way around.

If NDSU is able to come out and physically push us around on both sides of the ball like UNI did, then I won't know what in the world to say at that point? Obviously NDSU can beat us, but if they do, it will be more about HOW they beat us IMO than anything else. If we turn the ball over a bunch of times and NDSU has to resort to some lucky trick plays or something to beat us, then I will feel much better than if they come into Ames and push us around like UNI did last year.

Starter
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 491
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 60

Quote Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
    I have been a fan since 1971. In more than 40 years of following ISU, I have learned that the first game says a lot for what to expect for the rest of the year. Last year we played UNI, a team that give fewer scholarships and has a very small recruiting budget compared to ours. Facilities also should not compare. We should not lose to UNI. Their leading rusher had something 220 yards and our QB was sacked 6 times. UNI dominated both lines of scrimmage. Their DL dominated our OL and their OL did the same with our DL. After the Iowa game Coach Rhodes said that we did not see Rohach in the Iowa game because he was not ready. If Rohach was not ready for the Iowa game then he was not ready for the UNI game. It appears we had one scholarship QB prepared for the UNI game. If that is true then why did Richardson have 22 rushing attempts (a terrible coaching decision). I know 6 of those were sacks, but why put your QB at risk early in the season against a non league opponent. Richardson hurt his ankle and was not effective the rest of the year. ISU was greatly outcoached by UNI last year. UNI knew how to attack ISU, and ISU was clueless attacking UNI. I have a lot of concerns. The OL could be good this year, but they have had 3 different OL coaches, each with different techniques, in 3 years. Our QB's have primarily had their best games against Kansas and WV. I want to see them play effectively against top talent in the league. The defense has a lot of holes to fill and the front 7 will continue to be undersized and have difficulty stopping teams with power rushing offenses. Since the spring there has been a lot of positive hype and news. I will wait to get excited until after I watch the first game.
    Actually, I thought ISU played very well against UNI. Few penalties. Few turnovers. Pretty good offense.

The difference was being 1) ISU forced to attempt FG when close to the goal line 2) an unstoppable UNI running back that got better the closer he got to the goal line.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by SCarolinaCy View Post
    Actually, I thought ISU played very well against UNI. Few penalties. Few turnovers. Pretty good offense.

The difference was being 1) ISU forced to attempt FG when close to the goal line 2) an unstoppable UNI running back that got better the closer he got to the goal line.
    I thought they played a clean game, and that's the alarming thing about. I don't remember them making any killer mistakes or beating themselves - UNI just lined up and kicked their ***. And UNI is a really good program, but that shouldn't happen.

Starter
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 792
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

I will not get excited until after the 6th win of the season.

All-Star
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 994
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 42

Quote Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
    I have been a fan since 1971. In more than 40 years of following ISU, I have learned that the first game says a lot for what to expect for the rest of the year. Last year we played UNI, a team that give fewer scholarships and has a very small recruiting budget compared to ours. Facilities also should not compare. We should not lose to UNI. Their leading rusher had something 220 yards and our QB was sacked 6 times. UNI dominated both lines of scrimmage. Their DL dominated our OL and their OL did the same with our DL. After the Iowa game Coach Rhodes said that we did not see Rohach in the Iowa game because he was not ready. If Rohach was not ready for the Iowa game then he was not ready for the UNI game. It appears we had one scholarship QB prepared for the UNI game. If that is true then why did Richardson have 22 rushing attempts (a terrible coaching decision). I know 6 of those were sacks, but why put your QB at risk early in the season against a non league opponent. Richardson hurt his ankle and was not effective the rest of the year. ISU was greatly outcoached by UNI last year. UNI knew how to attack ISU, and ISU was clueless attacking UNI. I have a lot of concerns. The OL could be good this year, but they have had 3 different OL coaches, each with different techniques, in 3 years. Our QB's have primarily had their best games against Kansas and WV. I want to see them play effectively against top talent in the league. The defense has a lot of holes to fill and the front 7 will continue to be undersized and have difficulty stopping teams with power rushing offenses. Since the spring there has been a lot of positive hype and news. I will wait to get excited until after I watch the first game.
    I think we had the skill players to be decent and I don't think our o-line - individually - are bad players. The offense itself was just a complete mess and o-line looked out of sync. I attribute that to the coaching. As the season progressed our o-line showed improvement but our offense as a whole never really looked to get it going until way late in the season. Will be interesting to see how we come out of the gates this year. I think we have better skill players than last year and some play-makers on offense.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 110

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    I would hope that Iowa State wouldn't need two of it's best LBs in school history in order to beat UNI. But you are correct, it sure would have helped.

I just cannot for the life of me explain that UNI debacle last year. It set this football program back a long ways IMO. It wasn't as if UNI resorted to some fancy trick plays to beat us, they just lined up and physically dominated us and their RB ran for 220 yds and it could have been more if they wanted to.

We had all off season to prepare for that game, and we came out completely unprepared and we also lacked any kind of emotion or energy. Maybe Klenakis did run them into the ground and they had nothing left by the time the season started, I don't know? It was just a lack of preparation all the way around.

If NDSU is able to come out and physically push us around on both sides of the ball like UNI did, then I won't know what in the world to say at that point? Obviously NDSU can beat us, but if they do, it will be more about HOW they beat us IMO than anything else. If we turn the ball over a bunch of times and NDSU has to resort to some lucky trick plays or something to beat us, then I will feel much better than if they come into Ames and push us around like UNI did last year.
    The UNI game was definitely a debacle. The defense played more respectably after they figured out what UNI was doing. Even as awful as that game was, I still thought we had a shot at a reasonable 5 win season just based on the strategy improvements I saw in the game. A bowl game was out of the picture after that first game, which was obvious.

I figured if we came out and chucked the ball around a bit against Iowa, we could take advantage of their porous defensive secondary and maybe put some doubt in their minds about beating us on our home field. As soon as I saw Mess call two straight handoffs going straight into the teeth of Iowa's defense to start the game, I knew that one was over along with the season. It was a truly perplexing way to start that game, it was like he was trying to out-think himself. Ken Miller's rant about this on the Monday after the game was great.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 614
    Given: 389

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    Richardson had a moped wreck last year before the uni game?
    We are ISU.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 614
    Given: 389

Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post
    The UNI game was definitely a debacle. The defense played more respectably after they figured out what UNI was doing. Even as awful as that game was, I still thought we had a shot at a reasonable 5 win season just based on the strategy improvements I saw in the game. A bowl game was out of the picture after that first game, which was obvious.

I figured if we came out and chucked the ball around a bit against Iowa, we could take advantage of their porous defensive secondary and maybe put some doubt in their minds about beating us on our home field. As soon as I saw Mess call two straight handoffs going straight into the teeth of Iowa's defense to start the game, I knew that one was over along with the season. It was a truly perplexing way to start that game, it was like he was trying to out-think himself. Ken Miller's rant about this on the Monday after the game was great.
    What a mess.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Pro
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 61
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 117

[QUOTE=mcblogerson;41150.... The Big 12 doesn't look all that tough this year outside of OK and Baylor.[/QUOTE]

Aren't KSU and OSU both in the top 25 pre-season?

Clone to the Bone with the up and coming IOWA STATE.

Pro
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 943
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 219
    Given: 23

Cool story OP Bro.