Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 329
    Given: 304

Re: The downfall of Radio Shack

I definitely still go to Best Buy from time to time, but it's only when I need something right away and don't want to pay extra for same-day shipping. iPhone came in the mail, so I went to Best Buy that afternoon and bought a case for it. That sort of thing.

“Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

“With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

“He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 189
    Given: 100

Quote Originally Posted by roundball View Post
    Even as a kid, I remember going into Radio Shack, seeing all of the capacitors and diodes and things like that, and thinking "who buys this stuff?" Is/was there some large group of DIY electronics hobbyists out there that I'm completely oblivious to?
    Probably. I do a lot of odd little things around the house that require some electronic components of some kind.

The problem with Radioshack, was that they didn't embrace the internet when it came along like they should have. Any brick and mortar based chain, that didn't have a website that told you weather or not you could just stop in and pick up an item, was way behind imo. It was just easier to order what I needed from a web entity that told me they had it in stock and how long it would take for me to get it. I haven't been to radioshack for years, but the last time I was there, I remember their website being much like their B&M stores, "Need a smart phone? Need Smart phone accessories? Oh, you want what? We might have that, go try to find it over there."

Speechless
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 621
    Given: 390

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Janny View Post
    They're experiencing some ups and downs, for sure. But, they're a lot more diversified than Radio Shack, as far as what they sell. That helps.
    They are still slowly melting away. The aisles are getting bigger with less merchandise. DVDs/CDs/TVs/phones/ACER and other competitor computers/video games are not enough to survive.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 621
    Given: 390

How does that address the higher overhead expense issue, though? At the end of the day, it still costs Amazon less than Target to sell the same item.

Target's only niche for me is that it's where I go when I want something right now, but even that's being challenged by Amazon's same-day shipping and their drone delivery plans.
    Amazon Prime has hurt Best Buy, Gamestop, and Radioshack. Why get in a car when you can let your fingers do the walking?

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,348
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 298
    Given: 417

I'm glad the one in Mtown is in a prime location, it should be taken over by something quick.

Pro
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,342
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 92
    Given: 5

How does that address the higher overhead expense issue, though? At the end of the day, it still costs Amazon less than Target to sell the same item.

Target's only niche for me is that it's where I go when I want something right now, but even that's being challenged by Amazon's same-day shipping and their drone delivery plans.
    Have you ever compare shopped items? Half the time I look at tools I need and Amazon costs either the same price as me going down the street to the mom and pop hardware store or it costs more on Amazon.

Just for example (I was just looking at this impact driver just this past week), this costs $50 less to run over to Lowe's than to order it through Amazon.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_246924-70-DC...7C1&facetInfo=

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCF895C...+impact+wrench

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 420
    Given: 181

In this day and age, adapt or die.

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 420
    Given: 181

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Amazon Prime has hurt Best Buy, Gamestop, and Radioshack. Why get in a car when you can let your fingers do the walking?
    True. But other industries aren't dying.

I've always wondered why Home Improvement stores like Lowe's and Home Depot don't struggle like the Best Buy's of the world. Someone will spend $1,000 and buy a 60" TV online but they won't buy a rake or paintbrushes? Consumers are strange like that sometimes...

Legend
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 254
    Given: 147

I still repair things, but RS' inventory for electronics parts and tools has been drastically reduced for a number years now, so I don't even bother to go to RS anymore for those things. There is a Fry's near by that carries this stuff, and if Fry's doesn't have it, Mouser and Allied Electronics are close enough by that I can get stuff the next day. The problem with Mouser and Allied is the paying-$5-shipping-for-a-$1-part scenario.

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 276
    Given: 307

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeClone View Post
    The Internet >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    (you get the idea)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Radio Shack
    Certainly a major part of it. They could have avoided some of that if they'd continued selling their own line of stereo equipment, that you couldn't get anywhere else and had a loyal following.

Quote Originally Posted by rbrook View Post
    We have a Radio Shack store here in Newton and really don't know how they are surviving. I very seldom see any customers in it. I like it because you can get some odd ball electrical connectors or adapters. But otherwise, I doubt it would be missed.
    Now you really can't get that stuff there either. I went in a few years ago looking for a replacement speaker for a TV. Used to be the kind of stuff you could find there and be on your way in about five minutes. "Nope, we stopped selling that stuff a few years ago." Well, I guess you should'a stopped callin' yourself Radio Shack, then.

Even after they stopped producing their own stereo equipment they still carried name brand stuff like Sony. But they never had any stock and always tried to sell you the floor model. I'm not paying retail for a floor model that's been used and abused.

Just every possible thing they could do to shoot themselves in the foot, they did. A model of mis-management.

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 774
    Given: 3,115

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post

I've always wondered why Home Improvement stores like Lowe's and Home Depot don't struggle like the Best Buy's of the world. Someone will spend $1,000 and buy a 60" TV online but they won't buy a rake or paintbrushes? Consumers are strange like that sometimes...
    My guess with Lowe's and Home Depot is that the things like a rake or paintbrushes are seen as a more emergent need. We only go out and get a rake right when we need a rake - but arguably nobody NEEDS a 60" TV, particularly not right this minute.

M 7/09

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 234
    Given: 304

I'm barely old enough to remember when Radio Shack wasn't a oddly shaped cell phone kiosk.

Legend
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 254
    Given: 147

It's often pretty difficult to find things like rakes, paintbrushes, common hardware, etc. online appreciably cheaper than what Lowes or Home Depot sell them for. Also, sometimes, it's not convenient in the big picture to wait a day or two for parts or tools to come, like if you are in the middle of something and a part is missing or a tool breaks.

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Pro
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 314
    Given: 415

Quote Originally Posted by CYdTracked View Post
    One retailer that I think is finding a good way to keep people coming to the store is Target. Despite their security breach issue the 5% off your entire purchase at the cash register with their RedCard along with getting their cartwheel app on your smartphone can save you quite a bit. A few weeks ago they had a 2 day cartwheel offer for 15% off all electronics so combine that with the 5% if you have a RedCard and 20% off was a pretty good deal. We have a 3 1/2 month newborn so you can imagine just how much we pay attention to diaper and formula discounts too as a few bucks savings here and there add up pretty quickly.
    Target is for Women what Best Buy used to be for men, a place to wander around and see what they had a to grab a few things you probably didn't need. It is alive because a huge percentage of their shoppers are women who wander around the store killing time with their kids and buy whatever they see that interests them. My wife goes there to buy two things and comes home with six things. The next time she goes there it's to return two of the six things she bought the last time because she decided she didn't really need them (duh!) and then she comes home with six other things she didn't need, two of which she'll return the next time she goes. It's a vicious, psychotic circle.

Addict
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 706
    Given: 417

Totally different industries. How many times have you been working on a project and realize you need something in order to proceed? Can't really order a bag of Quick-Crete online for a fence post you're building right now. When I fertilize the lawn or install brick garden edging I often buy the wrong amount and need something else ASAP.

Who is going to buy a 20lb bag of grass seed online? How about paint? What if the paint is one shade off? Do you wait another 2 days for the replacement?

The stuff people buy online is typically a one item purchase. We see how online grocery stores never really took off.