Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 207
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 450
    Given: 419

Re: What do you think Mangino will do on offense?

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    I seriously hope you're wrong about this.

I said all season long last year, and all off season this year, that we need to take a LOT more shots down the field. And now with Montgomery and Lazard coming in, to add with Bundrage, I feel like we probably can't take too many shots down the field.

For the life of me I cannot understand what is so risky about throwing really deep several times each half? For one, it keeps the defense honest. It loosens them up that at least the threat is there, and that opens up the running game and the underneath short passing game as well.

And probably 9 times out of 10 it is either caught by the offensive guy or it is an incomplete pass. And if it is intercepted, it's the equivalent of a punt basically. So the risk factor is extremely low IMO.

If Mangino doesn't utilize the likes of Bundrage, Montgomery, Lazard, Daley, PJ Harris, etc on lots of deep balls, then I guess I'll sit back and watch us win 2-3 games again while averaging 21 pts a game again.
    Fairly certain that Mangino knows more about running an offense, including play-calling, than you or me or anyone on here. So don't pretend like you have some secret to winning that he doesn't know.

All-Star
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,042
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 155
    Given: 1,085

I said all season long last year, and all off season this year, that we need to take a LOT more shots down the field. And now with Montgomery and Lazard coming in, to add with Bundrage, I feel like we probably can't take too many shots down the field.

For the life of me I cannot understand what is so risky about throwing really deep several times each half? For one, it keeps the defense honest. It loosens them up that at least the threat is there, and that opens up the running game and the underneath short passing game as well.

And probably 9 times out of 10 it is either caught by the offensive guy or it is an incomplete pass. And if it is intercepted, it's the equivalent of a punt basically. So the risk factor is extremely low IMO.

If Mangino doesn't utilize the likes of Bundrage, Montgomery, Lazard, Daley, PJ Harris, etc on lots of deep balls, then I guess I'll sit back and watch us win 2-3 games again while averaging 21 pts a game again.
    What the hell did we need Mangino then, we had an offensive genius right on this site. He has a track record, and he has forgotten more than you know.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 855
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 461

Mangino......................well Just WIN baby WIN!

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 129
    Given: 73

I haven't read through all of the responses to this thread, but my guess is Mangino lines up at fullback for a sweet "Refrigerator" Perry style running attack.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 855
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 461

Quote Originally Posted by RubyClone View Post
    As a man who was a student when Jim Walden implemented the triple option at ISU, I frown upon this sentiment.
    You poor soul having been subjected to the same mediocre wishbone er broken bone according to jimmie don walden I can sure empathize with you....

No body should have to watch jimmie don walden try to win games with a broken bone- broken offense....Just for the record I saw every game walden coached in JTS.......

I was very happy to see Dan McCarney arrive from Wisconsin and to renew my season tickets that I had since 1975....

Go Cyclones Beat theee bisons

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 102
    Given: 55

Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    And we have not scored a TD at home in when the temps are below 60 on a Thursday night...Neat stat for those that enjoy piling on, but largely inconsequential.

However it happens, we need to increase our points per possession. Hopefully a little more success on keeping drives alive will increase both our scoring numbers and reduce the possessions in the game. I'd strongly consider going for it the majority of the time on 4th down if we are outside of the 23-25 yard-line.
    Totally different, he had a good point and wasn't piling on, that's just a totally depressing stat.

To actually come out and have a plan and execute it, going down the field for a TD sets the tone for the rest of the game. Gets the offense a little confidence, gets the D a little confidence that they don't have to win the game, the O can pull their weight against this opponent, that's huge.

To me, that kind of sums up Messingham as a OC in a nutshell. He "gameplanned" all week for those opponents and if he's like most coaches, ran a set of scripted plays on the first drive. To not score a single TD vs anybody is not good. Not only did we not score but we pretty much just walked out there and took a dump.. For players, other coaches, and even fans, when that happens it's pretty much "here we go again..."

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 98.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,735
    Given: 3,005

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Can this be possible?

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 360
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneVet View Post
    What the hell did we need Mangino then, we had an offensive genius right on this site. He has a track record, and he has forgotten more than you know.
    It doesn't take a genius to know that our "spread" offense was not a "spread" offense at all last year. Spread offenses force the defense to cover the ENTIRE field. Defenses against us last year put 9 guys in the box all game long and destroyed our running game and our QB. We basically NEVER made any defense pay last year for putting 8 or 9 guys in the box against us.

So if Mangino wants to come in here and run the ball and only throw short screen passes and slants all day long and attempt to move the ball in really slow chunks down the field in time consuming drives..... good luck with that. The defenses will just load the box and we'll have even more 3 and outs once again this year.

If you believe you have a lot of talented WRs, which I do believe we do, then you let them show their skills and throw the ball up to them and let them go get it IMO. Don't let the defense put everyone within 10 yds of the line of scrimmage and beat you up.

So go ahead and rip me a new one... that's your right to do. I don't really care. I'm just voicing my opinion. ISU would be VERY easy to defend IMO if we continue to only run the ball and use the short passing game.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 232
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 6

One thing I forgot to add is a true Air Raid system will actually keep a receiver in his designated assignment for his entire season/career.

Bundrage is our X receiver, and in Leach's Air Raid the X receiver typically stuck to on e side of the field. Why? Because Leach believed if you taught a guy he only had to run routes from one direction then he could spend more time perfecting the routes and working on fundamentals.

I'm not sure if Mangino adheres to this philosophy, but if he did don't be surprised to see a guy like Bundrage have an even bigger season than last year due to the efficiencies he'll gain from running one set of routes.

Wide Right & Natty Lite - Loyal Sons, Forever True. With beer!

Addict
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 822
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 215

Id like to see the same formation everytime with many different plays/routes ran out of that.

#BEATIOWA

All-Star
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 585
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 248
    Given: 133

Quote Originally Posted by iacyguy View Post
    Expect more bubble screens
    Hopefully on 3rd and 17.

All-Star
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 585
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 248
    Given: 133

Quote Originally Posted by ajk4st8 View Post
    Scoring on our opening drive would be fun.

We didnt do that last year.

Havent scored a TD on the opening drive since OSU 2012
    AND there is a good stat to begin weekend drinking festivities on....

Pro
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 207
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 450
    Given: 419

It doesn't take a genius to know that our "spread" offense was not a "spread" offense at all last year. Spread offenses force the defense to cover the ENTIRE field. Defenses against us last year put 9 guys in the box all game long and destroyed our running game and our QB. We basically NEVER made any defense pay last year for putting 8 or 9 guys in the box against us.

So if Mangino wants to come in here and run the ball and only throw short screen passes and slants all day long and attempt to move the ball in really slow chunks down the field in time consuming drives..... good luck with that. The defenses will just load the box and we'll have even more 3 and outs once again this year.

If you believe you have a lot of talented WRs, which I do believe we do, then you let them show their skills and throw the ball up to them and let them go get it IMO. Don't let the defense put everyone within 10 yds of the line of scrimmage and beat you up.

So go ahead and rip me a new one... that's your right to do. I don't really care. I'm just voicing my opinion. ISU would be VERY easy to defend IMO if we continue to only run the ball and use the short passing game.
    First, we don't even know what Mangino will call so settle down, Sparky. Second, we don't know how well the players will execute it. And third, you actually have no flippin' idea how often we called a passing play greater than 15 yards last year. Unless you were in the huddle, charted the distance of every receiver's routes on every passing play, or were in practice when the QBs were learning their primary read, secondary read, etc then you are working off your perception. So quit pretending that you know more than you do.

What makes you think you have some secret knowledge about how to win in football that these coaches don't have? Mangino coached in the B12 for nearly 20 years. He was a head coach for 7 of them. He went 3-1 in bowl games at freaking Kansas, including a BCS win. He was the 2007 AP Head Coach of the Year AND won the award for Assistant Coach of the Year while the OC at Oklahoma in 2000. He knows more than you. Whatever he decides to do or not do, he will have a reason for it based on his vast experience as well as knowledge of schemes, personnel, and opponent tendencies. None of which you have (hate to break that to you).

So stop.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 940
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 273
    Given: 357

I said all season long last year, and all off season this year, that we need to take a LOT more shots down the field...
    Everybody in JTS said this all last year.

All-Star
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 139
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 209
    Given: 337

Quote Originally Posted by im4cyclones View Post
    First, we don't even know what Mangino will call so settle down, Sparky. Second, we don't know how well the players will execute it. And third, you actually have no flippin' idea how often we called a passing play greater than 15 yards last year. Unless you were in the huddle, charted the distance of every receiver's routes on every passing play, or were in practice when the QBs were learning their primary read, secondary read, etc then you are working off your perception. So quit pretending that you know more than you do.

What makes you think you have some secret knowledge about how to win in football that these coaches don't have? Mangino coached in the B12 for nearly 20 years. He was a head coach for 7 of them. He went 3-1 in bowl games at freaking Kansas, including a BCS win. He was the 2007 AP Head Coach of the Year AND won the award for Assistant Coach of the Year while the OC at Oklahoma in 2000. He knows more than you. Whatever he decides to do or not do, he will have a reason for it based on his vast experience as well as knowledge of schemes, personnel, and opponent tendencies. None of which you have (hate to break that to you).

So stop.
    But this is the internet, we're obviously all more qualified than the actual coaches and would do better jobs