Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 609
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 0

Re: What do you think Mangino will do on offense?

If one watches a number of Mangino coached Kansas games (on YouTube), you will see that Mangino routinely (and by that I mean 5-6 times per game) would have the ball thrown on intermediate to deep routes, typically along the sidelines.. Generally, it was nearly always to his tall WRs.

All I know for sure (from watching Mangino's Kansas teams is that he likes bigger running backs, tall WRs, and a stout defense.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 259

The one thing I'm excited about is when I hear Mangino talk about how he was simplifying the offense.

Baylor, from everyone in the know, runs a VERY simplistic offense. But you'd never know it by watching them play at all. It seems like they would have a huge playbook, but they don't.

So, if by simplifying the offense it can still look complex to the opposition.... I'm all for that. Because supposedly we had a pretty big playbook, but it seemed like we ran the same 8 plays all game long. And Baylor, who had a simple one, appeared to run a LOT of different plays from multiple formations as well.

Pro
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 675
    Given: 17

I hope when we are on the 1 yard line we have a 7 yard shotgun snap instead of the normal shotgun snap so we can get a head of steam. Don't wanna be like those idiots who line up under center and just have to lean forward.

All-Star
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 679
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 211
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by brokenloginagain View Post
    i don't think there's a fanbase in the entire country that has higher expectations for an offensive coordinator than us.

we expect miracles.
    Not an expectation...more of a desperate hope. There is really no other way to justify the belief this season will be anything better than a complete dumpster fire.

Legend
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 492
    Given: 671

Hopefully run plays that have been set-up well by previous play calls, and do the same for future downs. An offense that at least forces a defense to commit resources to stop X, which leaves them vulnerable to Y. An improvement in these two OC duties should help with the years of execution problems we have had, as should new position coaches, experience, and player improvement.

As long as we see a higher points per possession average, we should see more wins. Even better if that denominator is lower than last year.

Rookie
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 103
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    Hopefully run plays that have been set-up well by previous play calls, and do the same for future downs. An offense that at least forces a defense to commit resources to stop X, which leaves them vulnerable to Y.

Exactly! Its not about throwing deep or not... its not about the number of runs or passes. Its about setting up plays... having a rhyme and reason....one play sets up the other.

Using misdirection after you have had success doing the opposite and they are trying to stop that.

The other coordinators apeared to have no connection to the previous play. Nothing set up something else.. crazy....

But good offensive coordinators are more difficult to find than other coaches and at a place like isu a good offensive coordinator is crucial for success.

Last edited by no2cyclones; 07-31-2014 at 10:17 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 282
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 2

Mark has to have a ball control offense. This team needs to control the pace of the game, and convert 3rd downs. We have a defense to protect and keep off the field. This will be priority #1. If we get a lead, this can change and take shots down field.

Addict
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 1,160
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 166

Quote Originally Posted by iacyguy View Post
    Expect more bubble screens
    I didnt think that was possible

#BEATIOWA

Speechless
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 556
    Given: 357

Quote Originally Posted by Sobchakcyclone View Post
    Mark has to have a ball control offense. This team needs to control the pace of the game, and convert 3rd downs. We have a defense to protect and keep off the field. This will be priority #1. If we get a lead, this can change and take shots down field.
    Can this be possible?

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 320
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 3

First, you should see a return to the zone based blocking of year's past. No more pulling guards and long developing running plays that require perfect blocking execution to win. Simple running plays of inside zone and outside zone, but packaged with different window dressing so to speak. Ed Warriner brought a lot of the zone read with him as Mangino's coordinator back in 2007, and that will have its place in the offense as well but I highly doubt it'll be the focus like the previous five years.

Second, if Mangino is still true to his Air Raid routes then you'll see a lot of quick hitting throws. Accuracy is the biggest key here and the whole set up is to stress the defense into a situation that allows for the deeper throws or potential missed tackles.

That's why a guy like Bibbs is so key here. If the offense can execute with him at multiple locations it'll force the defense to account for him and open something else up. This is what Mangino's offense at Kansas was so good at the last few years. Once Briscoe got going on the outside the middle opened up for Meier and the running game opened up for Sharp.

The Air Raid is built on simple principles and a high amount of reps to drill in the concepts. At that point it becomes about a quick read, a quick decision, and execution. If executed correctly there is always someone open, and if taught correctly, the quarterback will always find them. The installation isn't deep and there are articles about how to do it in a week and thus allow more time for reps.

What has separated teams in the past is how they mix those principles with other philosophies or window dressing. When Holgo went to OSU he installed the Air Raid but packaged it with the downhill running concepts in the Pistol and a juggernaut was born. Go back to the week prior to and after the OSU game in 2011 and you'll hear Wally and Rhoads talk about how OSU did nothing special, but did it with precision and with enough formations (window dressing) that it was hard to prep for in a short amount of time.

A few people in this thread hit on the overall philosophy that will be an improvement over the past few years. Simpler concepts packaged with looks designed to force the defense to tip their hand.

Wide Right & Natty Lite - Loyal Sons, Forever True. With beer!

Addict
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 259

Quote Originally Posted by Sobchakcyclone View Post
    If we don't take shots down the field once in a while to at least spread the defense out, we'll never have the lead.

If we play conservatively with the weapons we have, that would be beyond idiotic.

Pro
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 34
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 448
    Given: 242

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    I seriously hope you're wrong about this.

I said all season long last year, and all off season this year, that we need to take a LOT more shots down the field. And now with Montgomery and Lazard coming in, to add with Bundrage, I feel like we probably can't take too many shots down the field.

For the life of me I cannot understand what is so risky about throwing really deep several times each half? For one, it keeps the defense honest. It loosens them up that at least the threat is there, and that opens up the running game and the underneath short passing game as well.

And probably 9 times out of 10 it is either caught by the offensive guy or it is an incomplete pass. And if it is intercepted, it's the equivalent of a punt basically. So the risk factor is extremely low IMO.

If Mangino doesn't utilize the likes of Bundrage, Montgomery, Lazard, Daley, PJ Harris, etc on lots of deep balls, then I guess I'll sit back and watch us win 2-3 games again while averaging 21 pts a game again.
    I think he's a smart coach and he'll tailor his offense to fit his players' strengths. If that means going downfield to our stable of big athletic receivers, I'm all for it. Gonna need some much improved o line and qb play to make that work though.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 162
    Given: 350

Scoring on our opening drive would be fun.

We didnt do that last year.

Havent scored a TD on the opening drive since OSU 2012

Legend
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 492
    Given: 671

Quote Originally Posted by ajk4st8 View Post
    Scoring on our opening drive would be fun.

We didnt do that last year.

Havent scored a TD on the opening drive since OSU 2012
    And we have not scored a TD at home in when the temps are below 60 on a Thursday night...Neat stat for those that enjoy piling on, but largely inconsequential.

However it happens, we need to increase our points per possession. Hopefully a little more success on keeping drives alive will increase both our scoring numbers and reduce the possessions in the game. I'd strongly consider going for it the majority of the time on 4th down if we are outside of the 23-25 yard-line.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 30
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 162
    Given: 79

Less playbook, way more precision by everyone on the team. More concern about getting first downs, than making ESPN highlight plays. It doesn't take a miracle to improve the offense; for those of you who closed their eyes when ISU had the ball, it was not not good, and often times was confused. Other teams had to be laughing at the ineptness they had to defend against. I don't blame the players for being confused; the coaching staff projected that on them.