Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 471
    Given: 141

Re: Blame Bruce for the current football scheduling

Quote Originally Posted by Cycopath View Post
    In-State rivals are over rated. Is Texas or A&M suffering after their rivalry ended?
    Your first mistake was comparing the Iowa-Iowa State rivalry to Texas-Texas A&M...

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,820
    Given: 1,214

Quote Originally Posted by RubyClone View Post
    Agreed and same here.

If we can't beat the likes of the Toledo, UNI, NDSU, San Jose - then we may as well pack it in. Sure - they may be the best for the conferences or level they play in, but we're still supposed to be a Big XII team.
    At home I agree with you, if it's 2 for 1 I could see losing on road trips like SDSU, SJSU, NIU and still being a very good team. With the B12 9 games it's possible to be 5-7 and 6-6 and still be a very competitive solid team if you drop a non conf or two.

What I'd mainly like to avoid is road trips to northern MAC and CUSA schools. If we have to make a plane trip for a non major conference road game I'd rather play road trips in the southeast or west. There's just not many MAC, CUSA, MWC teams within driving distance, might as well try to have something you can use in recruiting if our fans can't drive to the game easily.

All-Star
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 350
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,040
    Given: 497

Quote Originally Posted by Skidoosh View Post
    Your first mistake was comparing the Iowa-Iowa State rivalry to Texas-Texas A&M...
    I don't know if it's that much of a reach.

I shudder to think what may happen if a few boxes of mason jars where left in front of the male dorms in Iowa City.

All-Star
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 350
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,040
    Given: 497

Quote Originally Posted by HFCS View Post
    At home I agree with you, if it's 2 for 1 I could see losing on road trips like SDSU, SJSU, NIU and still being a very good team. With the B12 9 games it's possible to be 5-7 and 6-6 and still be a very competitive solid team if you drop a non conf or two.

What I'd mainly like to avoid is road trips to northern MAC and CUSA schools. If we have to make a plane trip for a non major conference road game I'd rather play road trips in the southeast or west. There's just not many MAC, CUSA, MWC teams within driving distance, might as well try to have something you can use in recruiting if our fans can't drive to the game easily.
    I don't disagree with any of that. And I think in a lot of these games (Utah come right to mind) many fans understand if we lose that we just got a horrid match-up. Games like losing at Toledo, or needing a miracle finish by Steele Jantz to beat UNI - or the umpteen times we've LOST to UNI.... Uggh - the Walden era flashbacks.

And clearly CW isn't suggesting that we in fact blame BVD (although instinctively that's what every bone in my body wants to do). We just get a kinda crappy luck of the draw when these games come around.

But I'm saying (understanding full well who we are, what our chances are and what our prospects are for substantial program improvement) is that if we can't beat the non-con, even better non-con - what chance do we have against even the middle of the pack in the Big XII - whomever that may be any given year. Aren't we going to say that Tech, OSU, KSU - even TCU and maybe WV are still better than the NDSU, UNI, NIU and San Jose's of the world? More often than not? And if we want even a winning season - we need those wins.

<captain obvious>The answer isn't playing down our schedule - we actually need to improve. </capt obvious>

All-Star
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 740
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 418
    Given: 268

Until we get back to playing 8 conference games like the rest of the country does, we should not play any high major conference team (Iowa) during the non conference season.

You want to know how Iowa State gets over the hump and starts winning 6-9 games a year consistently? Start scheduling like Baylor, Tech, and Kansas State do/did when they were rebuilding their programs. At the end of the year when you are 9-3, nobody cares if your schedule ranked 55th in the country. Just like in 2012, we went 6-7 with the 3rd toughest schedule in the country. Nobody cares that we had the 3rd hardest schedule, they just remember that Iowa State had a losing record.

twitter.com/adamjgray17

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by RubyClone View Post
    I don't disagree with any of that.

And clearly CW isn't suggesting that we in fact blame BVD (although instinctively that's what every bone in my body wants to do). We just get a kinda crappy luck of the draw when these games come around.

But I'm saying (understanding full well who we are, what our chances are and what our prospects are for substantial program improvement) is that if we can't beat the non-con, even better non-con - what chance do we have against even the middle of the pack in the Big XII - whomever that may be any given year. Aren't we going to say that Tech, OSU, KSU - even TCU and maybe WV are still better than the NDSU, UNI, NIU and San Jose's of the world? More often than not? And if we want even a winning season - we need those wins.

<captain obvious>The answer isn't playing down our schedule - we actually need to improve. </capt obvious>
    Yeah, if we can't beat Toledo and NDSU at home this year it's a "we" thing and not on some AD a decade ago.

But we do have a lunatic fringe crowd here who thinks we need to schedule 9 B12 games, Iowa, some other power65 team, and then one cupcake. It seems that idea is not as common as it used to be, but it's still there. Hopefully the variety in the schedule can come from a good bowl matchup.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by AdamJGray View Post
    Until we get back to playing 8 conference games like the rest of the country does, we should not play any high major conference team (Iowa) during the non conference season.

You want to know how Iowa State gets over the hump and starts winning 6-9 games a year consistently? Start scheduling like Baylor, Tech, and Kansas State do/did when they were rebuilding their programs. At the end of the year when you are 9-3, nobody cares if your schedule ranked 55th in the country. Just like in 2012, we went 6-7 with the 3rd toughest schedule in the country. Nobody cares that we had the 3rd hardest schedule, they just remember that Iowa State had a losing record.
    I don't think our '00 9-3 team was any better than our '01 7-5 team that would have been 8-4 with the Alabama bowl fg 50/50 call going the other way. But most people just know the record. People talk about Iowa's schedule this year, our 9-3 team had a comparable schedule.

Starter
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 98
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 78

Quote Originally Posted by mustangcy View Post
    Dump the Iowa game. It's just holding the program back, what benefits it had are now gone and needs to be dropped.
    Dumb,....the hoks are our only real rival.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by GWad View Post
    Dumb,....the hoks are our only real rival.
    If we get a decade plus of Hoiball we have a key basketball rival. In football you're right that it's the only one I ever really see.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,420
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 375
    Given: 65

Those that want to drop the Iowa game are largely in the minority however they are very vocal. This game is a great atmosphere and should continue indefinitely.

“Science investigates; religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge, which is power; religion gives man wisdom, which is control. Science deals mainly with facts; religion deals mainly with values. The two are not rivals. They are complementary.”

Martin Luther King Jr.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Incyte View Post
    Those that want to drop the Iowa game are largely in the minority however they are very vocal. This game is a great atmosphere and should continue indefinitely.
    On the Iowa side of things I think it's a good 40% of their actual football fans, here maybe 20%. Then there's the type of Iowan for whom "football" happens two days a year, ISU/Iowa and the Superbowl. Obviously that type wants the game to continue but isn't the type driving $ to the programs either.

Starter
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 98
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 78

Quote Originally Posted by Incyte View Post
    AND, it will.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by AdamJGray View Post
    I agree with this 100%. However, I still think you could keep the Iowa series by playing one on, one off. On the off years, you can schedule another home game instead of what might have been a road game. Ticket prices for the games when they are played could be priced higher because the demand will be much higher for a game that doesn't happen every year. And you will be scheduling more home games. So you could still cover yourself monetarily and then have room to schedule more cupcakes and get more wins than we currently are able to.

The Cyclone in me would hate to see the series go away altogether, although following the Snyder scheduling strategy is what our program really needs. Something like what I mentioned above would be a great compromise.

All-Star
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 740
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 418
    Given: 268

Quote Originally Posted by HFCS View Post
    I don't think our '00 9-3 team was any better than our '01 7-5 team that would have been 8-4 with the Alabama bowl fg 50/50 call going the other way. But most people just know the record. People talk about Iowa's schedule this year, our 9-3 team had a comparable schedule.
    I would argue that Rhoads 1st year team that went 7-5 was worse than he next 3 teams that never won 7 games or a bowl game. Difference is the 2010, 2011, and 2012 teams all had top 10 schedules. The 2009 team had a schedule that ranked in the 60's.

I love playing Iowa, but I love winning more. If the Big 12 is going to stay at 9 conference games, there is no reason for Iowa State to schedule Iowa. 10 major conference opponents is ridiculous for Iowa State.

twitter.com/adamjgray17

Prospect
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 10

The Cy Hawk game IMHO generates more national interest and local excitement than whatever bowl ISU has gone to with a 6-6 record. Even if scheduling that game occasionally makes a difference between 5 and 6 wins, it is absolutely worth it. Rivalries make the college game worth watching and talking about. Bowl games between middling teams from different conferences do not so much.