Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 184
  1. #16
    Addict
    Points: 150,107, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    ISUCyclones2015's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Akron, OH > Ames > Dallas
    Posts
    6,794
    Points
    150,107
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,012
    Given: 263

    Re: Blame Bruce for the current football scheduling

    I would rather lose to Iowa half the time than beat Georgia State 95% of the time. It is just more fun and interesting. Period. It is good for the state, good for the Schools, good for the players, good for the fans.

    We have a tough schedule, yes. Let's work on getting the wins with our Big 12 schedule and use the non-con as bonus wins.


    "Be passionate and bold. Always keep learning. You stop doing useful things if you don't learn. So the last part to me is the key, especially if you have had some initial success. It becomes even more critical that you have the learning 'bit' always switched on."

  2. #17
    Speechless
    Points: 295,574, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    chuckd4735's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Posts
    17,197
    Points
    295,574
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,319
    Given: 462

    Re: Blame Bruce for the current football scheduling

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUCyclones2015 View Post
    I would rather lose to Iowa half the time than beat Georgia State 95% of the time. It is just more fun and interesting. Period. It is good for the state, good for the Schools, good for the players, good for the fans.

    We have a tough schedule, yes. Let's work on getting the wins with our Big 12 schedule and use the non-con as bonus wins.
    This. Also, the game experience ISU gets from playing Iowa is probably worth one win somewhere else down the road in conference play, so it probably equals out in the end. The mentality of those who want to dump Iowa is just dumb. Quit being *******. Whats next, lets join the MWC so ISU can finally have a 10 win season?



  3. #18
    Legend
    Points: 117,566, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUKyro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    10,598
    Points
    117,566
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 613
    Given: 1,570

    Re: Blame Bruce for the current football scheduling

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    This. Also, the game experience ISU gets from playing Iowa is probably worth one win somewhere else down the road in conference play, so it probably equals out in the end. The mentality of those who want to dump Iowa is just dumb. Quit being *******.
    How is it dump to want a higher % win year in and year out???

    If we were always getting 8+ wins a year I could see your argument for keeping the game. At this moment we can only control so much as Chris says in the article. Most of the schedule is out of our control.

    Sign me up for more wins.

    Maybe its because I live out of state but I don't really care who we play. It's time for more wins.



  4. #19
    Speechless
    Points: 295,574, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    chuckd4735's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Posts
    17,197
    Points
    295,574
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,319
    Given: 462

    Re: Blame Bruce for the current football scheduling

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUKyro View Post
    How is it dump to want a higher % win year in and year out???

    If we were always getting 8+ wins a year I could see your argument for keeping the game. At this moment we can only control so much as Chris says in the article. Most of the schedule is out of our control.

    Sign me up for more wins.

    Maybe its because I live out of state but I don't really care who we play.
    It's time for more wins.
    So you would be cool with joining the MWC?



  5. #20
    Legend
    Points: 117,566, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUKyro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    10,598
    Points
    117,566
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 613
    Given: 1,570

    Re: Blame Bruce for the current football scheduling

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    So you would be cool with joining the MWC?
    Meh, it wouldn't be my first pick.

    I would rather we find a way to be more successful in the B12 first.
    But it is laughable to think that taking a L in the non-con schedule is doing us any good right now when at best we are second or third from the bottom of the B12.



  6. #21
    Starter
    Points: 28,608, Level: 51
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 42
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Redman97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    755
    Points
    28,608
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 185
    Given: 202

    Re: Blame Bruce for the current football scheduling

    The pro-playing Iowa and anti-playing Iowa people are both right. I'm for playing them (life is too short for my favorite team not to play the dastardly hawkeyes) but it will hurt us more than not.



  7. #22
    Starter
    Points: 6,092, Level: 23
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 458
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    612
    Points
    6,092
    Level
    23
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 150
    Given: 14

    Re: Blame Bruce for the current football scheduling

    Would love to stop playing Iowa. We gain nothing by playing them likewise they gain nothing by playing us. Iowa beats us they gain nothing (other than bragging rights) as they beat Iowa State big deal. If we lose, then that prevents us from being one game closer to becoming bowl eligible.


    ISU beats Iowa? Who cares, it is Iowa, they will likely suck the rest of the season as well (See Iowa's 4-8 2012 record).


    Last edited by Cycopath; 07-31-2014 at 08:52 AM.

  8. #23
    Speechless
    Points: 295,574, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    chuckd4735's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Posts
    17,197
    Points
    295,574
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,319
    Given: 462

    Re: Blame Bruce for the current football scheduling

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUKyro View Post
    Meh, it wouldn't be my first pick.

    I would rather we find a way to be more successful in the B12 first.
    But it is laughable to think that taking a L in the non-con schedule is doing us any good right now when at best we are second or third from the bottom of the B12.
    If ISU ends up finding a way to be more successful in the Big 12, they will, at the same time, be more successful against Iowa. Dumping Iowa is a chicken **** move, no way around it.



  9. #24
    Legend
    Points: 117,566, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUKyro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    10,598
    Points
    117,566
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 613
    Given: 1,570

    Re: Blame Bruce for the current football scheduling

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    If ISU ends up finding a way to be more successful in the Big 12, they will, at the same time, be more successful against Iowa. Dumping Iowa is a chicken **** move, no way around it.
    Guess we will have to disagree and move on.

    I think you are completely wrong, I'm pretty sure you feel I am as well.

    To me I'm ok with being a chicken **** and beating up on the Jackrabbits rather than Iowa for a W before we start the B12. Doesn't bother me one bit.



  10. #25
    Speechless
    Points: 220,250, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    HFCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LA LA Land
    Posts
    18,082
    Points
    220,250
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,666
    Given: 2,408

    Re: Blame Bruce for the current football scheduling

    Quote Originally Posted by awd4cy View Post
    Wasn't our SOS in the 40's or something like that last year? Shouldn't be a whole lot different this year. Guess I don't need to do any blaming.
    I looked up our last 4 SOS rankings according to Sagarin (I know there are different formulas out there) since things got "rough" with the 9 game schedule.

    23rd, 11th, 2nd, 24th, average of 15th

    Since it always gets compared to Iowa their average SOS the same past 4 years is 42.5. Does that mean ISU would have torn through a Big Ten schedule? Definitely not. Does it mean there's an extra win here or there? Almost certainly.

    If I had to guess based on past years I'd say our SOS will be between 5-15 this year. A lot of it actually hangs on if NDSU is ranked as they typically have been in Sagarin from 25-50. If they are I think KU might be the only potential game that's a drag on the SOS rating. Iowa's worst SOS in the past 4 years was 49, so I'd have to guess they'll be 45-60 range but if even one of their Big Ten schedule opponents or ISU/Pitt perform above expectations they'll probably be in typical 40-ish SOS range for them.


    Last edited by HFCS; 07-31-2014 at 08:50 AM.

  11. #26
    Starter
    Points: 13,566, Level: 35
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 484
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    superman_101680's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    811
    Points
    13,566
    Level
    35
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

    Re: Blame Bruce for the current football scheduling

    Quote Originally Posted by Cycopath View Post
    Would love to stop playing Iowa. We gain nothing by playing them likewise they gain nothing by playing us.
    I can't get to this mindset. Dumping your in state rival just for the sake of getting a 6th win from a cupcake is pathetic. Just because other teams do it doesn't mean ISU has to. And check back to this message board/TV/radio/newspaper when ISU beats Iowa if you really feel 'we gain nothing'.



  12. #27
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 7,783, Level: 26
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 367
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points1 year registeredCreated Album pictures
    WrestlerJJE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Ames, Iowa
    Posts
    235
    Points
    7,783
    Level
    26
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 112

    Re: Blame Bruce for the current football scheduling

    What people don't realize is that this Iowa game is extremely important, you know why? Money!!!! My guess is that Iowa and Iowa State get good revenue from this old rivalry! If I do remember right, money doesn't buy happiness but it does help with that SEZ project!



  13. #28
    Legend
    Points: 117,566, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUKyro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    10,598
    Points
    117,566
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 613
    Given: 1,570

    Re: Blame Bruce for the current football scheduling

    Quote Originally Posted by superman_101680 View Post
    I can't get to this mindset. Dumping your in state rival just for the sake of getting a 6th win from a cupcake is pathetic. Just because other teams do it doesn't mean ISU has to. And check back to this message board/TV/radio/newspaper when ISU beats Iowa if you really feel 'we gain nothing'.
    I think his (and my feeling) is that if you take a step back from it. We gain nothing special from the win that any other win wouldn't do for us.

    Sure you can thump your chest at the water cooler and make fun of your neighbor.

    But we just have too many fans that are ok with beating Iowa then finishing the season with maybe 3 wins and they couldn't be more happy.



  14. #29
    Speechless
    Points: 295,574, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    chuckd4735's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Posts
    17,197
    Points
    295,574
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,319
    Given: 462

    Re: Blame Bruce for the current football scheduling

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUKyro View Post
    Guess we will have to disagree and move on.

    I think you are completely wrong, I'm pretty sure you feel I am as well.

    To me I'm ok with being a chicken **** and beating up on the Jackrabbits rather than Iowa for a W before we start the B12. Doesn't bother me one bit.
    The thing is, when 90% of the Big 12 is playing a power 5 team in the non-conference, you probably should be following suit. Look at the other teams the Big 12 is playing in the non-con. You could make an argument that Iowa is in the bottom 3 or 4 of talent. Off the top of my head, those teams include Iowa, Auburn, Duke, Tennessee, Florida State, Maryland, UCLA, Arkansas and Minnesota.



  15. #30
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 56,521, Level: 73
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 529
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    roundball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,642
    Points
    56,521
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,653
    Given: 1,793

    Re: Blame Bruce for the current football scheduling

    Hasn't the difficulty of our schedule helped with bowl placement? Aren't the Insight, Pinstripe, and Liberty bowls fairly good for a 6-6 team? Would we have been put in the Famous Potato bowl or not been invited at all if we had a softer schedule, like Iowa in 2007, with a significantly weaker schedule?


    Last edited by roundball; 07-31-2014 at 08:54 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.TV
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. UNI
  • September 5, 2015
  • 07:00 PM