Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 79

Will Blalock on Fred

This was also taken from the scout website on the free board. It goes along with the Rashon quote as it appears to be from the same upcoming article. But I thought it deserved it's own thread since it would get lost in the larger one. Mods please merge if you want.

In another interview as part of the upcoming article, I interviewed Will Blalock in May and here is what he had to say about declaring for the NBA draft and his relationship with current Head Coach Fred Hoiberg.

"If they would have hired Fred Hoiberg then I would have stayed for my senior year. I had a really good relationship with Fred because when he was with the Timberwolves, he would come home and practice with us and run drills. He would give Curt and I advice on how to stay strong and lead the team. We would say the little stuff that we didnít realize at the time, but became bigger issues as we got further into our professional careers. He was a really good guy, so if he would have been the next coach I would have stayed."

Carmon Wilson
    Reporter - Women's Basketball
    @Cdub_99

Pro
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,089
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,345
    Given: 783

Re: Will Blalock on Fred

Sometimes I fantasize about what it would be like to have just wrapped up Hoiberg's 8th season as head coach. I always end up getting mad.

Oh, in case anyone's interested, I started a discussion on the hypothetical scenario of Hoiberg being hired in 2006, just for fun: http://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/show...809&highlight=

Last edited by roundball; 07-30-2014 at 05:03 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 440
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 0

We would have at least 3 b12 championships and maybe two final 4's imo

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 396
    Given: 817

I don't know... I think building that NBA experience during the McD years was helpful. Might not have beem the same had he replaced Morgan. Either way, I'm just so thankful he's here now.

Pro
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,297
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 423
    Given: 371

Quote Originally Posted by roundball View Post
    Sometimes I fantasize about what it would be like to have just wrapped up Hoiberg's 8th season as head coach. I always end up getting mad.
    Hard to say if Fred would have been as successful as soon. Maybe he would have had to build through the high school ranks, which is a much slower process. Maybe that would have prevented him from landing the Royce White class. Perhaps his first call to Jamie (between Wayne and Greg) really got him thinking about coaching and he started playing out various scenarios in his head. Maybe he spent those McDermott years picking the brain of colleagues about coaching moves that helped prepare him. Maybe, maybe not.

Point is, none of us know. Things are looking good now. So enjoy...

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 528
    Given: 366

Quote Originally Posted by ianoconnor View Post
    I don't know... I think building that NBA experience during the McD years was helpful. Might not have beem the same had he replaced Morgan. Either way, I'm just so thankful he's here now.
    This. He was basically just coming off of his active playing days when they fired Morgan. I don't think you can discount his days as a scout/assistant GM as part of his preparation for taking the ISU job. Ultimately he would still have done well and we'd probably be further along as a program, but the growing pains/leaning on more experienced assistants period would have been longer. I also wonder if his recruiting philosophy would be different without him developing that NBA GM/win-now mindset.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 722
    Given: 398

Hindsight is 20/20. Older version of Blalock knows he would've stayed, but would a younger version of himself think the same? Maybe, maybe not. He did get drafted and play in the NBA.

Of course, if he just plain didn't like Gmac or his boring style of play and that is why he left (not the NBA), then yeah. One thing is for sure, Will the Thrill would've been great in Fred's offense!

Addict
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 548
    Given: 450

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    This. He was basically just coming off of his active playing days when they fired Morgan. I don't think you can discount his days as a scout/assistant GM as part of his preparation for taking the ISU job. Ultimately he would still have done well and we'd probably be further along as a program, but the growing pains/leaning on more experienced assistants period would have been longer. I also wonder if his recruiting philosophy would be different without him developing that NBA GM/win-now mindset.
    Continuing off this, Hoiberg had said somewhere that when he wasn't offered the job when Wayne was let go, Fred took the time to prepare even more for the ISU job. There's no way to tell exactly what would have happened if Fred would have gotten the job in 2006 but just be glad we have him now. There's a good chance that if Fred was hired in 2006 we may not have had the success we are having today.

ďI told you, I donít care if youíre black or white. I donít care if youíre rich or poor. I donít care where you come from, whether itís Texas, Florida, California, or right here in the state of Iowa, I donít care about any of thatÖ But what I did care about is moving forward from that day on, that we were one team." -Paul Rhoads

Addict
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,315
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 769
    Given: 523

Fred is a winner. I just feel like you give him 4 extra years from 06-10 he would have had similar results with 10-14 but the main difference is that we would have done better from 06-10.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 692
    Given: 577

I wouldn't change a thing. Timing is too important to mess with.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 91.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 646
    Given: 404

Oh, in case anyone's interested, I started a discussion on the hypothetical scenario of Hoiberg being hired in 2006, just for fun: http://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/show...809&highlight=
    I think I am being fair that Fred would have had a better record than McD during the McD years. Am I wrong? MVC sloball just did not hold up to B12 run and gun athleticism. It is not surprising that TCU is having a difficult time.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,343
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 0

You just never know what would have happened. At the time, Fred was just joining the T-Wolves front office. He would not have had every NBA GM on speed dial. I would not have been an up and coming NBA front office and coaching prospect. We can't really say how important those facts have been to Fred's recruiting.

Also, the graduate transfer rule was not in place until 2006. Not many people took advantage of it early on. Remember, when Jake Anderson did it in 2010 when Fred was hired, most of us didn't even realize it was a rule. Since it wasn't used much, who knows if Fred would have taken advantage of it as much as he has now. Plus, if Blalock and/or Stinson say, he may not go down the transfer route at all.

Plus, Melvin Ejim may not have come to Iowa State. Who knows if Fred would have recruited him. Just because of that it might have been worth having the McDermott years.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 91.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 646
    Given: 404

Quote Originally Posted by clone52 View Post
    You just never know what would have happened. At the time, Fred was just joining the T-Wolves front office. He would not have had every NBA GM on speed dial. I would not have been an up and coming NBA front office and coaching prospect. We can't really say how important those facts have been to Fred's recruiting.

Also, the graduate transfer rule was not in place until 2006. Not many people took advantage of it early on. Remember, when Jake Anderson did it in 2010 when Fred was hired, most of us didn't even realize it was a rule. Since it wasn't used much, who knows if Fred would have taken advantage of it as much as he has now. Plus, if Blalock and/or Stinson say, he may not go down the transfer route at all.

Plus, Melvin Ejim may not have come to Iowa State. Who knows if Fred would have recruited him. Just because of that it might have been worth having the McDermott years.
    Fred is a players coach and he would have found a way. Too much talent was wasted with the McD playbook. Another ME would have come.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Starter
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 78
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 40

Evan after you have seen the results of Hoiball for what, 4 years, some of you are doubting if he would have been a better higher than McDoormats.. Really?

All-Star
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 96
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 256
    Given: 11

Didn't Will announce he was leaving before GMac was hired? Whatever, is all this necessary? Do we really need former players telling us Fred is better? Next article...former ISU basketball player says water is wet and sky is blue.