Re: Good Idea to put Todd Sturdy as QB coach

Quote Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
    Who hired CPR? Jamie Pollard
    Who hired JP? Geoffrey
    Who hired Geoffrey? Board of Regents
    Who hired BOR? The Governor and State Senate
    Who hired them? The voters.

So it is actually our fault.
    This is an interesting perspective... However, I would argue that it isn't a fair comparison. Pollard is ultimately judged by the success of the basketball and football teams. He hit a homerun with Hoiberg so that keeps his position nice and cozy. Geoffrey is responsible for the university as a whole. The athletic dept's performance is only one piece of his puzzle. Obviously the academic side of things is where his priority is. Likewise, the BORs focus on everything.

If multiple issues were going on with the athletics and academics at ISU then Geoffrey would probably be in hot water. If the basketball and football teams were struggling at ISU then Pollard would start to feel some heat. So when you consider the fact that both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball struggled mightily under Rhoads' watch last year I think it makes perfect sense why someone would say the responsibility lies at his feet.

"Crack a smile, drink it down, it's the cleanest around."

Yours Truly,

Ames Water

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 123
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 415
    Given: 365

Quote Originally Posted by Section110 View Post
    This is an interesting perspective... However, I would argue that it isn't a fair comparison. Pollard is ultimately judged by the success of the basketball and football teams. He hit a homerun with Hoiberg so that keeps his position nice and cozy. Geoffrey is responsible for the university as a whole. The athletic dept's performance is only one piece of his puzzle. Obviously the academic side of things is where his priority is. Likewise, the BORs focus on everything.

If multiple issues were going on with the athletics and academics at ISU then Geoffrey would probably be in hot water. If the basketball and football teams were struggling at ISU then Pollard would start to feel some heat. So when you consider the fact that both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball struggled mightily under Rhoads' watch last year I think it makes perfect sense why someone would say the responsibility lies at his feet.
    Why do you even post here? About what are you so insecure that you get you jollies posting on a rival team's forum? It obviously isn't for intelligent discussion. Insecurities about you favorite school? Or something more personal? Career? Relationships? Body image?

I can understand posting after a big win to rub it in - don't agree with it, but I understand it. I could even understand conversation to get the other side of a viewpoint. But to continuously post such thick-headed nonsense in July? You enjoy arguing? You feel a deep-seeded need to be disliked. You have an inferiority complex and try to make yourself feel better by making others feel worse? You are a sadist?

Dont be so quick to brush this aside. You aren't enlightening us with your "wisdom". You aren't changing anyone's mind on here and I think you know that. You might need to meet with a mental health counselor before your issues manifest themselves in more dangerous ways.

Rookie
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 571
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 0

FYI. Geoffrey is no longer Iowa State's president. I would not expect you to know that since you are a Hawkeye fan that comes to CF acting like you care about ISU.

Pro
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 958
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 217
    Given: 23

the dick we had coaching the OL was partly to blame.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,147
    Given: 1,787

Question: Isn't last year over?
    The offense was horrible. The defense was also terrible. None of that impacts the new season right now

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 250
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 2

IMO There have been some issues with CPR being overly involved with the offense (rotating QB continuum and lack of offensive freedom). Mess looked to be CPRs lackey and called plays like a lackey. CPR appeared to add coach K as a support for Mess knowing Mess needed help. What we all learned, the sum of the parts can be less then the parts when not assembled with a coherent vision.

This year it looks like CPR has let go of controlling the offense knowing his job depends on it (we will see during the first game). Management at the lowest possible level understands the issues best and makes the best corrections at the level of execution. Separate and strong offensive and defensive minds should yield a complete team. A team that is better than the sum of its parts. The future looks bright.

To the OPs question, with Mangino at the offensive reigns, Sturdy should do well with the QBs.

Chance favors the prepared mind. Louis Pasteur

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 605
    Given: 389

Quote Originally Posted by im4cyclones View Post
    First, why do you care? You aren't a fan of ISU so why do you care who is to blame?

Herman had a system installed. So, how do you know Rhoads forced Mess to run the system? Even if he did, it isn't like Mess was new to the team or its system. He was an assistant here. He and the players knew the terminology and the playbook. It would only make for an easier transition for a new OC. So, even if Rhoads forced Mess to run Herman's system, that doesn't seem like a bad idea. So that is a non-issue.

Second, the spread was a system that our head coach found difficult to defend during his tenure as a defensive coordinator. He has been quoted saying as much. Therefore, my guess is that is the reason he wanted us to be a spread team. I assume that he feels it forces the team to defend the entire field, thus negating the athletic advantage they would have. That only seems to make sense.

And it isn't excuses to say we can't get high-level talent in Ames and certainly can't stockpile it. That is a recruiting reality. To ignore it is foolish. Lil' ole' Iowa would also struggle defensively in an offensive-minded conference like the B12. Shoot, they struggle with Northwestern. What kind of offense does Northwestern run? I-formation? Now imagine that with the athletes of Oklahoma and Baylor.
    We claimed to be a spread team, but the opponents defense did not spread enough to do much for us.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Starter
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 435
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points3 months registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 150
    Given: 155

Why do you even post here? About what are you so insecure that you get you jollies posting on a rival team's forum? It obviously isn't for intelligent discussion. Insecurities about you favorite school? Or something more personal? Career? Relationships? Body image?

I can understand posting after a big win to rub it in - don't agree with it, but I understand it. I could even understand conversation to get the other side of a viewpoint. But to continuously post such thick-headed nonsense in July? You enjoy arguing? You feel a deep-seeded need to be disliked. You have an inferiority complex and try to make yourself feel better by making others feel worse? You are a sadist?

Dont be so quick to brush this aside. You aren't enlightening us with your "wisdom". You aren't changing anyone's mind on here and I think you know that. You might need to meet with a mental health counselor before your issues manifest themselves in more dangerous ways.
    What's funny is that when I say these things it's considered "thick-headed nonsense", but when someone else does who you know is a Cyclone fan it's a perfectly fair assessment. Wally86 just said basically the same exact thing I've been saying about the way CPR handled the Messingham situation yet you don't whine to him about it, but when I say it you throw a tantrum like a 4 year old.

I said CPR was way to controlling with the offense last year. He made Mess run a system that wasn't his, and he stepped in far too often. It's pretty clear already that he's allowing Mangino to run his own show. The only point I'm making is that clearly Mess didn't get the same shot that Mangino is getting. For those reasons, all of the blame he receives is a little unfair because CPR had a lot to do with it as well. To CPR's credit, he has recognized that and he's apparently trying to address it by not micromanaging the offense.

If you just don't like hearing my opinion then ignore me. I'm fine with that, but at least recognize that nothing I've said in this thread is out of line. You simply think it's out of line because my opinion comes from a different perspective than most here.

Last edited by Section110; 07-31-2014 at 07:28 AM.

Yours Truly,

Ames Water

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 123
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 415
    Given: 365

What's funny is that when I say these things it's considered "thick-headed nonsense", but when someone else does who you know is a Cyclone fan it's a perfectly fair assessment. Wally86 just said basically the same exact thing I've been saying about the way CPR handled the Messingham situation yet you don't whine to him about it, but when I say it you throw a tantrum like a 4 year old.

I said CPR was way to controlling with the offense last year. He made Mess run a system that wasn't his, and he stepped in far too often. It's pretty clear already that he's allowing Mangino to run his own show. The only point I'm making is that clearly Mess didn't get the same shot that Mangino is getting. For those reasons, all of the blame he receives is a little unfair because CPR had a lot to do with it as well. To CPR's credit, he has recognized that and he's apparently trying to address it by not micromanaging the offense.

If you just don't like hearing my opinion then ignore me. I'm fine with that, but at least recognize that nothing I've said in this thread is out of line. You simply think it's out of line because my opinion comes from a different perspective than most here.
    First, unless you are quoting Wally86 from somewhere else, you two aren't saying the same thing. He says he heard CPR interfered in the offense. Ok, fine. You, on the other hand, are intent on getting ISU fans to blame CPR for everything. In fact, you said as much in one of your posts. Why do you want ISU fans to blame Rhoads?

No tantrum here. I am really seeking to understand what payoff there is for you in posting here. I can't think of a reason that a rational person continuously posts on a rival team's website. You obviously can't be getting a sense of belonging or acceptance. I noticed you brushed this aside. I feel sorry for you.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 531
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 254
    Given: 356

The Offense was less enjoyable than a trip to the dentist. However, I thought that the WR's looked better under Sturdy. The QB and OL play was what was woeful.

I think Sturdy will be a big improvement over Messingham. Who was out of depth.

“Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun.”
    Alan Wilson Watts

Starter
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 435
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points3 months registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 150
    Given: 155

First, unless you are quoting Wally86 from somewhere else, you two aren't saying the same thing. He says he heard CPR interfered in the offense. Ok, fine. You, on the other hand, are intent on getting ISU fans to blame CPR for everything. In fact, you said as much in one of your posts. Why do you want ISU fans to blame Rhoads?

No tantrum here. I am really seeking to understand what payoff there is for you in posting here. I can't think of a reason that a rational person continuously posts on a rival team's website. You obviously can't be getting a sense of belonging or acceptance. I noticed you brushed this aside. I feel sorry for you.
    Which is exactly what I said! I simply said Mess should not be blamed for everything because part of it was on CPR! Good lord. If that bothers you that much I'm sorry, but it's the truth. Some of you guys just don't want to place any blame whatsoever on CPR so you pin it all on Mess, and frankly that doesn't make any sense. I'm not trying to blame CPR for everything. I've acknowledged the fact that Mess was a bad hire and he didn't perform. I'm just saying the blame should be shared equally instead of pinned all on him because he was the fall guy.

I post here because I enjoy the discussion. There's a lot more of it because there are a lot more talking points regarding ISU Football. Before last season, the Hawkeye boards were ripe with discussion because everyone felt differently about Coach Ferentz after the 4-8 season. This year most Hawk fans are on the same page because of the unexpected success the Hawks found last year, and everyone is looking forward to the upcoming season with hope that it could be a special one. There isn't near as much discussion when everyone is on the same page. In other words, the Hawkeye boards are really boring right now, and this one provides a little more enjoyment in terms of discussion. Go ahead and say I'm looking for acceptance. That's laughable. Ho hum.... Guess I'll just go outside and eat some worms.

Yours Truly,

Ames Water

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 146
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 40

For the love of God, please go away.

Recruit
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 154
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 67

Quote Originally Posted by Wally86 View Post
    IMO There have been some issues with CPR being overly involved with the offense (rotating QB continuum and lack of offensive freedom). Mess looked to be CPRs lackey and called plays like a lackey. CPR appeared to add coach K as a support for Mess knowing Mess needed help. What we all learned, the sum of the parts can be less then the parts when not assembled with a coherent vision.

This year it looks like CPR has let go of controlling the offense knowing his job depends on it (we will see during the first game). Management at the lowest possible level understands the issues best and makes the best corrections at the level of execution. Separate and strong offensive and defensive minds should yield a complete team. A team that is better than the sum of its parts. The future looks bright.

To the OPs question, with Mangino at the offensive reigns, Sturdy should do well with the QBs.
    Ya, you could definitely tell that it was controlled. I think that's why CPR made that statement in the spring that he doesn't step into the offensive meeting, because that is Manginos job. Honestly, you could tell CPR was controlling the system, my guess, he wanted to keep the team held together thru the bumpy season they had. hopefully these new coaches step up and make this offense go ape ****!