Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31
  1. #16
    Speechless
    Points: 222,532, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Rabbuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    15,217
    Points
    222,532
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,329
    Given: 82

    Re: The remarkable fact is that they have done so with 90% of their players

    This type of argument seems bad. Different levels of competition.



  2. #17
    Prospect
    Points: 2,589, Level: 14
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 161
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points3 months registered
    CyNerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    44
    Points
    2,589
    Level
    14
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 8

    Re: The remarkable fact is that they have done so with 90% of their players

    Quote Originally Posted by CascadeClone View Post
    Unfortunately. A random number generator and/or dart-throwing baboon would have been more effective.
    Sadly, there was many a game last season that I would have liked to bring out the dart-throwing baboon. Even with a poster board sized playbook that the other team's defense could read after the baboon's dart hit its mark, we could have potentially been better off. Then again, throwing darts into a playbook riddled with screen passes might not have been any better...


    "You will never beat my brothers up ahead unless you punish them in the proper order. The order is...2 3 1. Twenty-three is number one!"

  3. #18
    Legend
    Points: 205,520, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jbhtexas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    11,009
    Points
    205,520
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 313
    Given: 193

    Re: The remarkable fact is that they have done so with 90% of their players

    Quote Originally Posted by mtowncyclone13 View Post
    I understand your point but...

    CPR says there are only 8 or so D1 players each year from our state and the OP 's point is that we don't need to obsessively recruit Texas and Florida to find good players. There are good players around if we can mold them to suit our needs it may benefit us more than spending so much time down south.
    If that is the point that the OP is trying to make, then the OP's point is just flat out wrong.

    ADJP somewhat discussed this yesterday in the KXNO podcast. Because of their close proximity to the talent pool, the walk-ons that the likes of UT, OU, OSU, TTU, TCU, and BU get are such that most can play some Big 12 minutes immediately. At a minimum, just to keep from falling any further behind, ISU needs to recruit at least the same caliber as those aforementioned walk-ons. To make improvements, ISU needs to recruit talent better than those walk-ons.

    If ISU went to a model where they focused on recruiting "moldable" players (players that need 1-2 years of development before they can play Big 12 minutes), ISU would quickly become completely uncompetitive. The team depth would be devastated relative to ISU's Big 12 peers.

    The notion that ISU should stop spending recruiting time "down south" pursuing Big 12-ready players and concentrate on recruiting and molding the local talent into Big 12 caliber is nonsensical.


    Last edited by jbhtexas; 07-30-2014 at 11:10 AM.
    "Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

    Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

  4. #19
    Speechless
    Points: 302,419, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    cyhiphopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    16,987
    Points
    302,419
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,597
    Given: 3,487

    Re: The remarkable fact is that they have done so with 90% of their players

    Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    The OP's point is just flat out wrong.

    ADJP somewhat discussed this yesterday in the KXNO podcast. Because of their close proximity to the talent pool, the walk-ons that the likes of UT, OU, OSU, TTU, TCU, and BU get are such that most can play some Big 12 minutes immediately. At a minimum, just to keep from falling any further behind, ISU needs to recruit at least the same caliber as those aforementioned walk-ons. To make improvements, ISU needs to recruit talent better than those walk-ons.

    If ISU went to a model where they focused on recruiting "moldable" players (players that need 1-2 years of development before they can play Big 12 minutes), ISU would quickly become completely uncompetitive. The team depth would be devastated relative to ISU's Big 12 peers.

    The notion that ISU should stop spending recruiting time "down south" pursuing Big 12-ready players and concentrate on recruiting and molding the local talent into Big 12 caliber is nonsensical.

    The talent pool in a state like Texas is ridiculous compared to some of the Midwest states. And every big school in the country is going after the top Texas recruits. The three star players from Texas would beat the crap out of 90% of the top talent in Iowa ever year.

    NDSU has had success lately. A senior laden team who's had solid coaching for their entire careers has a chance to beat a more physically talented team who is not focused, has inexperienced young players, or has issues with their coaching staff **cough Messingham cough**. Day in, day out in a conference like the Big 12? NDSU would be crushed on a regular basis. They might be able to compete with MAC teams but I still think that's a stretch.



  5. #20
    Pro
    Points: 23,182, Level: 46
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 368
    Overall activity: 74.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered10000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    GTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    2,203
    Points
    23,182
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,441
    Given: 2,218

    Re: The remarkable fact is that they have done so with 90% of their players

    Quote Originally Posted by cyhiphopp View Post
    The talent pool in a state like Texas is ridiculous compared to some of the Midwest states. And every big school in the country is going after the top Texas recruits. The three star players from Texas would beat the crap out of 90% of the top talent in Iowa ever year.

    NDSU has had success lately. A senior laden team who's had solid coaching for their entire careers has a chance to beat a more physically talented team who is not focused, has inexperienced young players, or has issues with their coaching staff **cough Messingham cough**. Day in, day out in a conference like the Big 12? NDSU would be crushed on a regular basis. They might be able to compete with MAC teams but I still think that's a stretch.
    What is the deal with 90%? it seems to be the preferred percentage for this thread. I agree that the OP is 90% wrong. As TCU showed us, getting up for a couple of big games a year is a different animal than trying to compete in a power conference with a 9 game schedule.



  6. #21
    Speechless
    Points: 302,419, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    cyhiphopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    16,987
    Points
    302,419
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,597
    Given: 3,487

    Re: The remarkable fact is that they have done so with 90% of their players

    Quote Originally Posted by GTO View Post
    What is the deal with 90%? it seems to be the preferred percentage for this thread. I agree that the OP is 90% wrong. As TCU showed us, getting up for a couple of big games a year is a different animal than trying to compete in a power conference with a 9 game schedule.
    TCU even has a very good coach, huge recruiting advantages, and some solid talent. Unfortunately they've shown that some of that talent went to TCU over the big boys for a reason. A lot of troublemakers.



  7. #22
    Addict
    Points: 94,324, Level: 95
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 726
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Frak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Dow City, IA
    Posts
    5,711
    Points
    94,324
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 65

    Re: The remarkable fact is that they have done so with 90% of their players

    I'll agree that ISU has needed to improve evaluation and maybe even development. There are plenty of players at UNI and NDSU that could contribute at ISU. And ISU could have gotten any of those players if they had offered. That said, it's a lot easier to play 1-2 BCS teams early on and then go into a MVC schedule than face the grind that is the B12. If NDSU was in our conference, they wouldn't have fared a lot better, no matter how good their team is in 1AA.



  8. #23
    Addict
    Points: 106,383, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    cyrocksmypants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    8,777
    Points
    106,383
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,887
    Given: 119

    Re: The remarkable fact is that they have done so with 90% of their players

    Quote Originally Posted by awd4cy View Post
    Our 2012 and 2013 teams were better. NDSU wouldn't have reached 6 wins either of those years. Last year is a different story though.
    Pssst.....last year was 2013.



  9. #24
    Addict
    Points: 107,349, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    awd4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,630
    Points
    107,349
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 876
    Given: 589

    Re: The remarkable fact is that they have done so with 90% of their players

    Quote Originally Posted by cyrocksmypants View Post
    Pssst.....last year was 2013.
    My bad. You know what I meant.



  10. #25
    Addict
    Points: 154,760, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    weR138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7,604
    Points
    154,760
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 155
    Given: 43

    Re: The remarkable fact is that they have done so with 90% of their players

    Quote Originally Posted by SCarolinaCy View Post
    By all accounts, NDSU for the past several years has fielded a football team that is equal to or better than ISU.

    The Bison are the current three-time defending NCAA Division I-FCS National Champions and have a 43-2 record since the start of 2011, the best record in all of Division I Football during that time frame.

    The remarkable fact is that they have done so with 90% of their players coming from the upper midwestern states, in the heart of ISU's backyard. There's a lot to be said for choosing hometown players.
    Worst post ever?


    RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

  11. #26
    Pro
    Points: 64,955, Level: 79
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,495
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    TXCyclones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Heath, TX
    Posts
    3,155
    Points
    64,955
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 202
    Given: 199

    Re: The remarkable fact is that they have done so with 90% of their players

    Quote Originally Posted by CascadeClone View Post
    Unfortunately. A random number generator and/or dart-throwing baboon would have been more effective.
    Hmm... Not sure if this is in reference to Messingham or the OP...


    Remember, you're unique. Just like everyone else.

  12. #27
    Legend
    Points: 163,760, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Here nor there
    Posts
    12,146
    Points
    163,760
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 670
    Given: 972

    Re: The remarkable fact is that they have done so with 90% of their players

    Looks as though the post history function is mostly doing its job. OP needs to watch how twocoach does it.



  13. #28
    Addict
    Points: 107,269, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocialOverdrive
    cmjh10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    8,767
    Points
    107,269
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,013
    Given: 3,116

    Re: The remarkable fact is that they have done so with 90% of their players

    I cant wait for the NDSU game to be over. Talking about that team and that game is getting very old


    Naz Long, the Cowboy Killer

  14. #29
    Legend
    Points: 309,571, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranOverdrive
    ISUCubswin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    My Playhouse
    Posts
    12,735
    Points
    309,571
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,471
    Given: 707

    Re: The remarkable fact is that they have done so with 90% of their players

    I still think the Texas game completely tore us a new one. If the refs made the right call, I think we could've gone on to win a few more games than we did.


    RANDOM THOUGHTS THREAD HATE CLUB OFFICIAL MEMBER

  15. #30
    Walk On
    Points: 2,969, Level: 15
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    NenoFone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    WDM
    Posts
    168
    Points
    2,969
    Level
    15
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 2

    Re: The remarkable fact is that they have done so with 90% of their players

    You mean to tell me we have a dart throwing baboon and never once thought to use him/her. I guessing it must be some sort of NCAA violation.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports Net
  • BASKETBALL: Iowa State vs. Alabama
  • November 24, 2014
  • 08:30 PM