Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 21,097, Level: 44
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 553
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    SCarolinaCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    1,055
    Points
    21,097
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 63
    Given: 111

    The remarkable fact is that they have done so with 90% of their players

    By all accounts, NDSU for the past several years has fielded a football team that is equal to or better than ISU.

    The Bison are the current three-time defending NCAA Division I-FCS National Champions and have a 43-2 record since the start of 2011, the best record in all of Division I Football during that time frame.

    The remarkable fact is that they have done so with 90% of their players coming from the upper midwestern states, in the heart of ISU's backyard. There's a lot to be said for choosing hometown players.



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 121,667, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyclonespiker33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    7,114
    Points
    121,667
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,825
    Given: 445

    Re: The remarkable fact is that they have done so with 90% of their players

    How did Lakes hack this guys account?



  3. #3
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 49,306, Level: 68
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 444
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    WooClone15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Madison, Wi
    Posts
    3,589
    Points
    49,306
    Level
    68
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,199
    Given: 2,135

    Re: The remarkable fact is that they have done so with 90% of their players

    The problem with that is that the levels of competition are different. My college (the College of Wooster) has the highest winning percentage in the NCAA in the 2000's (.847). That doesn't mean they have been better teams than Iowa State since 2000 (Iowa State's winning percentage is .568 over that same span).


    Last edited by WooClone15; 07-29-2014 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Made it more accurate

  4. #4
    Legend
    Points: 162,008, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 82.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    mtowncyclone13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    mtown
    Posts
    11,614
    Points
    162,008
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,918
    Given: 2,180

    Re: The remarkable fact is that they have done so with 90% of their players

    Quote Originally Posted by WooClone15 View Post
    The problem with that is that the levels of competition are different. My college (the College of Wooster) is the "winningest" basketball program in the NCAA in the 2000's (387-69). That doesn't mean they have been better teams than Iowa State since 2000.
    I understand your point but...

    CPR says there are only 8 or so D1 players each year from our state and the OP 's point is that we don't need to obsessively recruit Texas and Florida to find good players. There are good players around if we can mold them to suit our needs it may benefit us more than spending so much time down south.

    What would happen if you put NDSU in a Top 5 conference? I don't know but I'd sure love to see Auburn or Florida State play the FCS winner in an exhibition game.


    2015 CF Avatar of the Year winner.

  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 370,564, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    cyhiphopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    21,930
    Points
    370,564
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,895
    Given: 8,703

    Re: The remarkable fact is that they have done so with 90% of their players

    Quote Originally Posted by mtowncyclone13 View Post
    I understand your point but...

    CPR says there are only 8 or so D1 players each year from our state and the OP 's point is that we don't need to obsessively recruit Texas and Florida to find good players. There are good players around if we can mold them to suit our needs it may benefit us more than spending so much time down south.

    What would happen if you put NDSU in a Top 5 conference? I don't know but I'd sure love to see Auburn or Florida State play the FCS winner in an exhibition game.
    West Virginia and TCU were top tier programs in the Big East and MWC respectively. They also have the benefit of having much more fertile recruiting grounds than the upper midwest. Both teams have seen first hand how fun it is to join a big boy league.


    2014-15 Cyclone Fanatic NBA Fantasy Basketball Champion!



  6. #6
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 49,306, Level: 68
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 444
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    WooClone15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Madison, Wi
    Posts
    3,589
    Points
    49,306
    Level
    68
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,199
    Given: 2,135

    Re: The remarkable fact is that they have done so with 90% of their players

    Quote Originally Posted by mtowncyclone13 View Post
    I understand your point but...

    CPR says there are only 8 or so D1 players each year from our state and the OP 's point is that we don't need to obsessively recruit Texas and Florida to find good players. There are good players around if we can mold them to suit our needs it may benefit us more than spending so much time down south.

    What would happen if you put NDSU in a Top 5 conference? I don't know but I'd sure love to see Auburn or Florida State play the FCS winner in an exhibition game.
    But what's considered a "good player" at the FCS level is different than at the big 12 level. Those players may be good enough to win at the FCS and occasionally pick off a power 5 conference team, but aren't good enough to consistently compete at the big 12 level. Just like how Wooster does very well in d-3 and can come close to winning in an exhibition game at d-1, but could not compete at that level.



  7. #7
    Legend
    Points: 216,222, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jbhtexas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    11,790
    Points
    216,222
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 866
    Given: 610

    Re: The remarkable fact is that they have done so with 90% of their players

    Quote Originally Posted by mtowncyclone13 View Post
    I understand your point but...

    CPR says there are only 8 or so D1 players each year from our state and the OP 's point is that we don't need to obsessively recruit Texas and Florida to find good players. There are good players around if we can mold them to suit our needs it may benefit us more than spending so much time down south.
    If that is the point that the OP is trying to make, then the OP's point is just flat out wrong.

    ADJP somewhat discussed this yesterday in the KXNO podcast. Because of their close proximity to the talent pool, the walk-ons that the likes of UT, OU, OSU, TTU, TCU, and BU get are such that most can play some Big 12 minutes immediately. At a minimum, just to keep from falling any further behind, ISU needs to recruit at least the same caliber as those aforementioned walk-ons. To make improvements, ISU needs to recruit talent better than those walk-ons.

    If ISU went to a model where they focused on recruiting "moldable" players (players that need 1-2 years of development before they can play Big 12 minutes), ISU would quickly become completely uncompetitive. The team depth would be devastated relative to ISU's Big 12 peers.

    The notion that ISU should stop spending recruiting time "down south" pursuing Big 12-ready players and concentrate on recruiting and molding the local talent into Big 12 caliber is nonsensical.


    Last edited by jbhtexas; 07-30-2014 at 11:10 AM.
    "Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

    Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 370,564, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    cyhiphopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    21,930
    Points
    370,564
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,895
    Given: 8,703

    Re: The remarkable fact is that they have done so with 90% of their players

    Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    The OP's point is just flat out wrong.

    ADJP somewhat discussed this yesterday in the KXNO podcast. Because of their close proximity to the talent pool, the walk-ons that the likes of UT, OU, OSU, TTU, TCU, and BU get are such that most can play some Big 12 minutes immediately. At a minimum, just to keep from falling any further behind, ISU needs to recruit at least the same caliber as those aforementioned walk-ons. To make improvements, ISU needs to recruit talent better than those walk-ons.

    If ISU went to a model where they focused on recruiting "moldable" players (players that need 1-2 years of development before they can play Big 12 minutes), ISU would quickly become completely uncompetitive. The team depth would be devastated relative to ISU's Big 12 peers.

    The notion that ISU should stop spending recruiting time "down south" pursuing Big 12-ready players and concentrate on recruiting and molding the local talent into Big 12 caliber is nonsensical.

    The talent pool in a state like Texas is ridiculous compared to some of the Midwest states. And every big school in the country is going after the top Texas recruits. The three star players from Texas would beat the crap out of 90% of the top talent in Iowa ever year.

    NDSU has had success lately. A senior laden team who's had solid coaching for their entire careers has a chance to beat a more physically talented team who is not focused, has inexperienced young players, or has issues with their coaching staff **cough Messingham cough**. Day in, day out in a conference like the Big 12? NDSU would be crushed on a regular basis. They might be able to compete with MAC teams but I still think that's a stretch.


    2014-15 Cyclone Fanatic NBA Fantasy Basketball Champion!



  9. #9
    Legend
    Points: 385,145, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    GTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    10,498
    Points
    385,145
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11,514
    Given: 14,566

    Re: The remarkable fact is that they have done so with 90% of their players

    Quote Originally Posted by cyhiphopp View Post
    The talent pool in a state like Texas is ridiculous compared to some of the Midwest states. And every big school in the country is going after the top Texas recruits. The three star players from Texas would beat the crap out of 90% of the top talent in Iowa ever year.

    NDSU has had success lately. A senior laden team who's had solid coaching for their entire careers has a chance to beat a more physically talented team who is not focused, has inexperienced young players, or has issues with their coaching staff **cough Messingham cough**. Day in, day out in a conference like the Big 12? NDSU would be crushed on a regular basis. They might be able to compete with MAC teams but I still think that's a stretch.
    What is the deal with 90%? it seems to be the preferred percentage for this thread. I agree that the OP is 90% wrong. As TCU showed us, getting up for a couple of big games a year is a different animal than trying to compete in a power conference with a 9 game schedule.



  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 390,627, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranOverdriveRecommendation Second Class
    ISUCubswin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    My Playhouse
    Posts
    16,956
    Points
    390,627
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,626
    Given: 1,468

    Re: The remarkable fact is that they have done so with 90% of their players

    I would take last three years NDSU program over Iowa State in a heart beat. But most of that is because I've hated our offensive coordinator the last three years


    Self-Proclaimed Smartest and Goodest Looking Poster on Cyclone Fanatic 4 years running*

    *Fitzy not included

  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 370,564, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    cyhiphopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    21,930
    Points
    370,564
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,895
    Given: 8,703

    Re: The remarkable fact is that they have done so with 90% of their players

    Is this a troll trap? If so, I hope it works.


    2014-15 Cyclone Fanatic NBA Fantasy Basketball Champion!



  12. #12
    Legend
    Points: 241,842, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    11,223
    Points
    241,842
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 841
    Given: 969

    Re: The remarkable fact is that they have done so with 90% of their players

    Yeah this team while I respect what they have done. Would get murdered if they played in the big 12. You tink they walk into Norman or Austin and walk out with anything less than a 50-80 point beat down?


    Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 210,242, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    cyrocksmypants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    22,211
    Points
    210,242
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,447
    Given: 662

    Re: The remarkable fact is that they have done so with 90% of their players

    Quote Originally Posted by mtowncyclone13 View Post
    I understand your point but...

    CPR says there are only 8 or so D1 players each year from our state and the OP 's point is that we don't need to obsessively recruit Texas and Florida to find good players. There are good players around if we can mold them to suit our needs it may benefit us more than spending so much time down south.

    What would happen if you put NDSU in a Top 5 conference? I don't know but I'd sure love to see Auburn or Florida State play the FCS winner in an exhibition game.
    NDSU isn't D1, at least not in the sense that was intended (FBS) so I don't really see the point there.



  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 39,503, Level: 61
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 847
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,780
    Points
    39,503
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,066
    Given: 849

    Re: The remarkable fact is that they have done so with 90% of their players

    Quote Originally Posted by SCarolinaCy View Post
    By all accounts, NDSU for the past several years has fielded a football team that is equal to or better than ISU.

    The Bison are the current three-time defending NCAA Division I-FCS National Champions and have a 43-2 record since the start of 2011, the best record in all of Division I Football during that time frame.

    The remarkable fact is that they have done so with 90% of their players coming from the upper midwestern states, in the heart of ISU's backyard. There's a lot to be said for choosing hometown players.
    I should have stopped reading after the first sentence. Terrible post.



  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 33,729, Level: 56
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 521
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    kilroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    hills to flat lands
    Posts
    2,852
    Points
    33,729
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 88

    Re: The remarkable fact is that they have done so with 90% of their players

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUCubswin View Post
    I would take last three years NDSU program over Iowa State in a heart beat. But most of that is because I've hated our offensive coordinator the last three years
    We had an o-coordinator the last three years?



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: ESPN2
  • HOOPS: Iowa State @ Oklahoma State
  • February 6, 2016
  • 01:00 PM