Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 209
    Given: 337

Re: Pleasant Valley girls track

I didn't know the part about using her mom's maiden name. I didn't have any sympathy for her before, and especially don't now. One of the register articles I had seen said the last time this had happened in track (it might have been all sports but I can't remember) was in 1958 or 1957 when the Ames boy's team was disqualified.

Addict
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,370
    Overall activity: 66.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 857
    Given: 534

To play DA here, how does running in an optional race make her have any leg-up on the competition in HS? She didn't take a performance-enhancing drug. She didn't wear special illegal shoes. All she did was run around a course with other people in another amuteur event.

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneRulzzz View Post
    mtown is among the worst to ever play this game.

All-Star
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 623
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 254
    Given: 190

Quote Originally Posted by mtowncyclone13 View Post
    To play DA here, how does running in an optional race make her have any leg-up on the competition in HS? She didn't take a performance-enhancing drug. She didn't wear special illegal shoes. All she did was run around a course with other people in another amuteur event.
    Reading other poster's insights and another story the state association had to follow the rules.

I don't like that the rule is in place to begin with. She knew the rules and was trying to skirt them, but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't feel like cheating for a runner to run in events to make herself better.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 248
    Given: 30

There are eligibility rules with the number of contests you can partake in. I'm guessing she broke those rules as well. Otherwise I don't personally see a huge deal with it.

Addict
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,370
    Overall activity: 66.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 857
    Given: 534

The rule says you can not train with any collegiate level program. So if my sister is an ISU track star and we run together in the summer am I now in violation of the rules?

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneRulzzz View Post
    mtown is among the worst to ever play this game.

All-Star
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 459
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 170

The rule says you can not train with any collegiate level program. So if my sister is an ISU track star and we run together in the summer am I now in violation of the rules?
    I assume this is the whole pre-existing relationship loophole. Also, does the rule say program or athlete?

All-Star
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 135
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 209
    Given: 337

I think if you went to the Iowa State practice and ran with them you would be, but I don't think just running with your sister would qualify as a violation.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 73.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,339
    Given: 84

My ccousin was a nike sponsored runner in high school and competed in national meets all the time. I guess I'm unsure if they were against college athletes but I know he got so many benefits like spikes and clothing.

Addict
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 607
    Given: 188

If she did it in the offseason, then I think that it should be allowed. I threw shot at a college tournament a few times in the winter before track season and wrestled at a college tournament as well in the summer. It helped to just get a feel for things. I don't get why this is a rule in the first place, unless she did it along side her High School Track season.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 940
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 273
    Given: 357

People can argue the merits of the rule. In fact, there are a lot of rules (and laws) that are ridiculous.

But that's not the point. If you get caught breaking them, you get punished. And the worst part is she obviously new this, and tried to hide it. Maybe it'll be a life lesson for her.

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 340
    Given: 318

Quote Originally Posted by BoxsterCy View Post
    Here's a little bit better coverage on this with some detail and less of the innuendo about what names she used to run under. Interesting is that the gal she beat in the Drake Relays is ineligible for cross-country this fall because she "knowingly faced collegiate athletes last fall." If the rules for running clubs applied to AAU basketball there would be no high school basketball at all.

http://qctimes.com/sports/high-schoo...2f0762761.html
    It's technically a different sport, so it's okay. No different than a guy like Russell Wilson playing minor league baseball while still maintaining eligibility in football. Jenks chose not to run cross country because she's one of the nation's top triathletes and elected to use the fall to compete against athletes who would make her better for that. She also went out for the Linn-Mar swim team. She didn't break the rule and then still try to compete on the L-M cross country team.

Personally, I disagree with the rule in the first place. I understand not wanting some high school athletes training with college TEAMS and getting the benefit of collegiate resources (lifting with a college team in better weight rooms, etc.). But training with an college athlete (in most cases, this involves a recently-graduated friend who now competes collegiately, but doesn't qualify for the prior relationship loophole; as I understand it, that loophole is only for family), shouldn't be a big deal, IMO. Say, for instance, that Katie Flood was now done competing and an athlete wanted to train with her. The benefit of running with Flood would be no different if she were still a college athlete or not.

In that more personal set of circumstances, the only real issue I could see would be coming from the NCAA side (potential for illegal recruiting), not the IGHSU/IHSAA side.

That said, she broke the rules and allegedly knew perfectly well that she could get in trouble if it was discovered she was competing in these extra events. So she definitely deserves what she's getting.

“Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

“With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

“He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by ISUCyclones2015 View Post
    If she did it in the offseason, then I think that it should be allowed. I threw shot at a college tournament a few times in the winter before track season and wrestled at a college tournament as well in the summer. It helped to just get a feel for things. I don't get why this is a rule in the first place, unless she did it along side her High School Track season.
    She did it in the middle of track season. She and especially her parents didn't care about her team or the rules.

Last year she did not do well at State, well under her season's best times. I think PV finished barely in the top 20 4A that year. Reason? She was tapering to prepare for the 'big' summer meets.

She is a good runner but not nationally elite by any means. I hope any college recruiting her takes her and her parent's character into consideration.

All-Star
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 459
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 170

Quote Originally Posted by TOFB4ISU View Post
    She did it in the middle of track season. She and especially her parents didn't care about her team or the rules.

Last year she did not do well at State, well under her season's best times. I think PV finished barely in the top 20 4A that year. Reason? She was tapering to prepare for the 'big' summer meets.

She is a good runner but not nationally elite by any means. I hope any college recruiting her takes her and her parent's character into consideration.
    I think you're incorrect, she was 9th in the nation for the 800 at one point.

http://usa.milesplit.com/articles/12...6#.U9bBKPldW4s

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 116
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by benjay View Post
    I don't see how you let the victories stand when she was ineligible to compete.
    What is the justification for ineligibility? She was better, so she cant compete? She gained an advantage by running with greater competition? Didnt Jeff Demps run in the Olympic qualifiers when he was in HS? Did that make him ineligible?

This is not performance enhancement type stuff. She was good enough to compete with college kids and did. They obviously knew she was a HS and had no issue with it, but the IHSAA does?

This is ridiculous. Unless she was paid at the events this seems just stupid. I understand she knew it and the punishment should stand, but the rule is silly.

Last edited by brett108; 07-28-2014 at 05:45 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 116
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by TOFB4ISU View Post

Did she lap your little girl in the 800 last year? Your post screams of sour grapes.