Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 334
    Given: 308

Pleasant Valley girls track

Just saw this today. Pleasant Valley was stripped of the Class 4A girls track title a few days ago due to the participation of an ineligible athlete who was involved in 38 team points at the state meet. The athlete (junior middle distance star Kaley Ciluffo) was discovered to have competed in multiple collegiate invitationals against college athletes, which is illegal for high school athletes in Iowa (she did place first or second in those races, FTR; she's one of the very best middle distance runners in the country). She even allegedly registered at an event under her mother's maiden name, presumably to avoid getting caught.

Urbandale finished second at state and will be retroactively named state champions, and all place-winners in the events Ciluffo competed in will be adjusted accordingly.

Pretty huge deal, and something I've never even heard of being done in Iowa. Definitely feel bad for the girls on the relays she ran on. Several athletes from other schools have expressed similar sentiments and Linn-Mar's Stephanie Jenks, who finished second to Ciluffo in the 800 (Ciluffo ran an all-time best mark in that event at state that will be erased now), said she would have preferred to earn the gold medal rather than get it this way.

Has anyone else ever heard of a situation like this in Iowa? I've known of people who trained with friends after those friends went on to compete collegiately, but never an athlete competing against college athletes in college-sanctioned events. That's just crazy.

“Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

“With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

“He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 980
    Given: 286

Re: Pleasant Valley girls track

I heard about this too. I do feel bad for the other runners on the PV team, but not for the girl who broke the rules. She definitely knew what she was doing was wrong. I didn't know this piece of the story:

Quote Originally Posted by tm3308 View Post
    She even allegedly registered at an event under her mother's maiden name, presumably to avoid getting caught.
    But that goes even further to prove that she was trying to break the rules and not get caught. Regardless of what you think about the rule itself, it was selfish of her to jeopardize her team in that way.

With that said, if I found myself in that situation on the PV team, I don't think this would change anything. We won the title, we were recognized for it, we had our celebration. At this point, I would still call myself a state champion and no one would be able to take that away from me. I hope that the rest of the girls on the team have that mindset too because this could be hard on them.

All-Star
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 210
    Given: 175

Our high school associations seem to be *** backwards on rules. Since she is a junior, maybe there were other ways to punish her and not the team?

Last edited by no2cyclones; 07-28-2014 at 04:54 PM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 254
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 23

Quote Originally Posted by ISU42 View Post
    Our high school associations seem to be *** backwards on rules. Since she is a junior, maybe there were other ways to punish her and not the team?
    I don't see how you let the victories stand when she was ineligible to compete.

Last edited by no2cyclones; 07-28-2014 at 04:55 PM.

Addict
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 980
    Given: 286

I'm pretty sure that she is ineligible for high school competition permanently at this point, so she won't be able to run for any high school team or in a high school event next year too. She was punished as much as possible and it ended up hurting her team because of the choices that she​ made.

Legend
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 514
    Given: 574

The team only won because of her points. Not taking them away would be unfair to other teams.

Pro
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,065
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 208
    Given: 68

First I thought this thread was going to be stalkerish, but having read the above. She needs to do all she can to graduate asap and move onto college. No senior year now.

Cyclone
    Iowa State became the Cyclones after they leveled Northwestern in 1895. As the Chicago Tribune (9/29/1895) noted:
    'Struck by a Cyclone
    It Comes from Iowa and Devastates Evanston Town'

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,478
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 503
    Given: 443

Well, we can't have amateur athletes competing in other amateur events can we?

It does actually get a little complicated. We have had red-shirt runners compete in events but not running "for" ISU. They run "unattached".

Pro
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 778
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 4

My question, why is that against the rules? Seems silly to punish athletes for seeking out better competition. I can understand the not training with college teams part but merely running independently in meets seems like a reasonable thing to be able to do.

All-Star
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 730
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 111

I shudder to think about how competitive HS sports are getting, my kids are screwed.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 283
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 153
    Given: 310

Well if they just paid high school athletes.... But serioiusly, this is such a simple rule to abide by, this girl deserves what she's getting. T

All-Star
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 730
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 111

Quote Originally Posted by Iastfan112 View Post
    My question, why is that against the rules? Seems silly to punish athletes for seeking out better competition. I can understand the not training with college teams part but merely running independently in meets seems like a reasonable thing to be able to do.
    You get used to running against other athletes that can actually push you to your limits. Let's just say running at the (insert small town here) invitational against three girls who went out for track so they'd look better in their prom dress is a little different venue. If the girl that got second had to that all spring vs. going to college level meets they came into start with drastically different racing experience.

Not saying it would've matter in this case, but it's a big deal for HS kids that only get a few dozen races each spring.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,478
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 503
    Given: 443

Here's a little bit better coverage on this with some detail and less of the innuendo about what names she used to run under. Interesting is that the gal she beat in the Drake Relays is ineligible for cross-country this fall because she "knowingly faced collegiate athletes last fall." If the rules for running clubs applied to AAU basketball there would be no high school basketball at all.

http://qctimes.com/sports/high-schoo...2f0762761.html

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Iastfan112 View Post
    Maybe its changed since my day...but you used to be able to compete in other events and maintain your elibility as long as it that sport wasn't in season. For instance, high school kids can play in the summer basketball leagues, hoop it up etc bc that sport isn't in season. We actually had an issue with this when I was in school regarding "Air It Out" the flag football cousin of hoop it up, it was in the fall, so you couldn't compete in that and be on your schools football team as well. Year round club sports can also impact this.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BoxsterCy View Post
    Here's a little bit better coverage on this with some detail and less of the innuendo about what names she used to run under. Interesting is that the gal she beat in the Drake Relays is ineligible for cross-country this fall because she "knowingly faced collegiate athletes last fall." If the rules for running clubs applied to AAU basketball there would be no high school basketball at all.

http://qctimes.com/sports/high-schoo...2f0762761.html
    AAU ball is against other high school players, in the offseason, its 2 different deals.