Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 393
    Given: 298

Question for Kansas fans (Basketball)

What are you expectations for this years team, and more specifically, your incoming freshman (Alexander, Oubre, Graham, and the Ukrainian kid). Please no trolling or complaining from posters about Tuco or the other KU posters; I would really like an actual conversation about this.

Starter
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 382
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 190
    Given: 169

Re: Question for Kansas fans (Basketball)

Quote Originally Posted by CarlHungus View Post
    What are you expectations for this years team, and more specifically, your incoming freshman (Alexander, Oubre, Graham, and the Ukrainian kid). Please no trolling or complaining from posters about Tuco or the other KU posters; I would really like an actual conversation about this.
    You want actual conversation, and you come to Cyclone Fanatic?

Last edited by ZachsterPoke; 07-26-2014 at 12:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CyFan61 View Post
    I bleed cardinal and urinate gold.

Pro
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 615
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 393
    Given: 298

Quote Originally Posted by ZachsterPoke View Post
    You want actual conversation, and you come to Cyclone Fanatic?
    I know I'm asking a lot, but I've got a good buzz going at the moment, so I guess I'm overly optimistic

Pro
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 977
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Given: 13

I'll give this a shot.

From Cliff Alexander, I'm hoping to get maybe 25 minutes a game of above average big man play that can sometimes flash elite. I assume he'll play the five almost exclusively (Perry Ellis basically can't play anything but four), and that he'll struggle at times, and probably get himself in foul trouble too, but that he'll probably also have some moments where he'll just be a beast on both ends. I'm really interested to watch how he develops, just because you so rarely see guys succeed with that body - I think he's around 6'7" in socks, 250 lbs. - period, let alone guys without many perimeter skills. I'm just not sure I see a Top 5 pick there. But back to college, where he was ranked #2 on that best players list from thebiglead.com that recently came out. That, frankly, seems crazy high to me. When I tried to come up with Preseason Big 12 teams the other day, I struggled with where to place him, but ended up putting him Third Team.

From there, things only get less certain for me with the freshmen. It's hard for me to project guard minutes, because there's seven guys there that could all play 20+ minutes, and thus a guy or two is getting left out.

Let's start with Devonte Graham. He's a prep school kid who had a weird recruitment, and there was some real excitement when everything worked out for him, thinking he could come in and stabilize a PG position that has been rocky the last couple years. And just because he's older, he may have a chance to be better right away than Mason or Frankamp were last year, but now that those two guys are sophomores, I expect them to have the edge on Graham. So, at least for year one, my expectations here are pretty low. I'll be plenty happy, even if he only gets spot minutes, if he can keep his man out of the paint a little bit and not turn the ball over much.

With Sviatoslov Mykhailiuk, much like ISU and Tsalmpouris, it's really hard to know what to expect. It seems he's got a chance to be a very nice player, a great shooter with size and some decent defensive instincts, but the kid just turned 17 a month ago. I've heard some really glowing reports on him, but for now I'm just keeping a "I'll believe it when I see it" mindset. If he can, as a 17 year old, give KU 10-15 minutes a game of B12-average wing play, I'd be pretty happy with that.

Oubre, I think, has a chance to be a really special player. He's LONG - he has the same wingspan, 7'2", as Jeff Withey - and athletic, can shoot and attack, and has the potential to be a really good defender. But, again, I think it's going to take some time for everything to come together here. I'd expect 20-25 minutes a game on the wing that, by the end of the season, will be quite positive.

I only discussed freshmen above, but I think Wayne Selden and Perry Ellis will be the two best players over the course of the season, both 30+ minute guys who can push for First Team All-Big 12. But outside of those two, its hard to know exactly how the rotation will shake out, especially looking at the 1-2-3 spots, so it's kind of hard to have firm expectations for specific guys in those spots.

Overall, I think Kansas is again the favorite in the conference, but, obviously, is no guarantee to win. Texas looks scary up front and could surely win the league if Isaiah Taylor has a great season. ISU, as everyone here knows, could win the thing if they can win some road games and a few things break right. And OU, I suppose, has a chance if they learn to play some defense.

And finally, just to take this post all the way through - and I apologize for the length, but I wanted to answer the questions posed - I'll guess that KU will get a 2 seed and lose at some point before the Final Four.

Pro
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 984
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 79

I know I'm asking a lot, but I've got a good buzz going at the moment, so I guess I'm overly optimistic
    So....you're a happy drunk?

Rookie
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 571
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 4

Your title is unnecessarily redundant. There are no Kansas football fans.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,141
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 127

Quote Originally Posted by kucyclone View Post
    I'll give this a shot.

From Cliff Alexander, I'm hoping to get maybe 25 minutes a game of above average big man play that can sometimes flash elite. I assume he'll play the five almost exclusively (Perry Ellis basically can't play anything but four), and that he'll struggle at times, and probably get himself in foul trouble too, but that he'll probably also have some moments where he'll just be a beast on both ends. I'm really interested to watch how he develops, just because you so rarely see guys succeed with that body - I think he's around 6'7" in socks, 250 lbs. - period, let alone guys without many perimeter skills. I'm just not sure I see a Top 5 pick there. But back to college, where he was ranked #2 on that best players list from thebiglead.com that recently came out. That, frankly, seems crazy high to me. When I tried to come up with Preseason Big 12 teams the other day, I struggled with where to place him, but ended up putting him Third Team.

From there, things only get less certain for me with the freshmen. It's hard for me to project guard minutes, because there's seven guys there that could all play 20+ minutes, and thus a guy or two is getting left out.

Let's start with Devonte Graham. He's a prep school kid who had a weird recruitment, and there was some real excitement when everything worked out for him, thinking he could come in and stabilize a PG position that has been rocky the last couple years. And just because he's older, he may have a chance to be better right away than Mason or Frankamp were last year, but now that those two guys are sophomores, I expect them to have the edge on Graham. So, at least for year one, my expectations here are pretty low. I'll be plenty happy, even if he only gets spot minutes, if he can keep his man out of the paint a little bit and not turn the ball over much.

With Sviatoslov Mykhailiuk, much like ISU and Tsalmpouris, it's really hard to know what to expect. It seems he's got a chance to be a very nice player, a great shooter with size and some decent defensive instincts, but the kid just turned 17 a month ago. I've heard some really glowing reports on him, but for now I'm just keeping a "I'll believe it when I see it" mindset. If he can, as a 17 year old, give KU 10-15 minutes a game of B12-average wing play, I'd be pretty happy with that.

Oubre, I think, has a chance to be a really special player. He's LONG - he has the same wingspan, 7'2", as Jeff Withey - and athletic, can shoot and attack, and has the potential to be a really good defender. But, again, I think it's going to take some time for everything to come together here. I'd expect 20-25 minutes a game on the wing that, by the end of the season, will be quite positive.

I only discussed freshmen above, but I think Wayne Selden and Perry Ellis will be the two best players over the course of the season, both 30+ minute guys who can push for First Team All-Big 12. But outside of those two, its hard to know exactly how the rotation will shake out, especially looking at the 1-2-3 spots, so it's kind of hard to have firm expectations for specific guys in those spots.

Overall, I think Kansas is again the favorite in the conference, but, obviously, is no guarantee to win. Texas looks scary up front and could surely win the league if Isaiah Taylor has a great season. ISU, as everyone here knows, could win the thing if they can win some road games and a few things break right. And OU, I suppose, has a chance if they learn to play some defense.

And finally, just to take this post all the way through - and I apologize for the length, but I wanted to answer the questions posed - I'll guess that KU will get a 2 seed and lose at some point before the Final Four.
    Damn good post here. The last part, for me as a fan of all Big 12 teams come tournament time, is really starting to get annoying.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 377
    Given: 508

Quote Originally Posted by kucyclone View Post

And ISU also gets a two seed and makes the final 4. But Kansas fans still scream supremacy because they won the regular season Big 12.

Ill put any dollar that if I get this ball again, Long said, Its going in.
    - Naz Long to Markel Brown before hitting the game tying shot.

Pro
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 181
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class3 months registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 517
    Given: 312

where's tuco?

BDK
    Cyclone state

Addict
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 933
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 270
    Given: 1,203

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddykane View Post
    where's tuco?
    must not have had a break yet today

Are you a member?

Pro
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 67
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 316
    Given: 415

I expect both Alexander and Oubre to be starters and play to a 1st or 2nd team All Big 12 level. I worry about Big Cliff's defense and his stamina but he will be a bull on offense. If he can stay out of foul trouble he'll have a very good year and should eclipse Embiid's season averages from last year pretty easily.

Oubre is the guy I am most excited to see play. He has gotten rave reviews at every camp he's been to this summer and is another crazy long wing player that will be an excellent defender. I don't think he'll play as many minutes as Wiggins did last season since the rest of the team should be better overall on defense and because the drop off to Greene and Svi off the bench will not be as big as the drop off to Greene last year was. Self couldn't really take Wiggins out much last year because he was their only good perimeter defender and because Greene was king of lost in Year One.

I have no idea what to expect from Graham this year. He is the same age as Mason and Frankamp but with a year less college experience. He has better size for the position and better pure PG ability. There really is no combination of minutes spread between those three PGs that would surprise me. If we get anything productive out of him I'll be happy.

I have no expectations for Svi, either. He is rail thin and still only 17 years old so I would be surprised to see him average more than a few minutes a game. KU doesn't really need much from him with Oubre and Greene at that position. Maybe he'll see some minutes behind Selden at SG if he can play defense well enough. But I don't expect him to be an impact player at all next year.

I expect Hunter Mickelson to surprise a lot of people with his interior defense and rim protection. I think he'll be Cliff's primary back up at center and will block more shots on the season than Embiid did last year.

I expect Selden to take the role of leader on the team next year and be the attacking guard KU needs. He deferred to the experience of Tharpe and the talent of Wiggins last year. Look for that to change with both gone. He may not end up with the pure stats to be an All Big 12 1st/2nd team member but he will be one of the best overall players in the Big 12.

I expect Ellis to step up his game tremendously as well and also play to a 1st/2nd team All Big 12 level. He has been working hard on his outside shot and has also gotten quicker from what I have heard from summer camp reports. If he can make people play him outside and is quick enough to get around them if they overplay, he will be a tough cover and will open up the lane for Big Cliff to throw down some monster dunks.

For the team, I expect them to contend for the Big 12 title and to be a Top 2 seed in the tourney. How far they go is a crap shoot so dependent on other things that I have no more expectations than to get out of the first weekend. I do think they have enough talent and experience to make a deep run in the tourney. Hopefully the star align right and they play to their capabilities when it matters the most.

Addict
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,466
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 765
    Given: 521

There he is!

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 85.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocialOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,773
    Given: 2,774

Watching Niang run circles around Alexander should be fun. But, Im worried about the defensive end for Niang.

Naz Long, the Cowboy Killer

Pro
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 181
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class3 months registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 517
    Given: 312

I hope we beat ku at Hilton this year, I went to the last 2 and lost both of them.

BDK
    Cyclone state

Addict
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 1,008
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,309
    Given: 1,513

Thank you KUCyclone great post. Anyone else skip tuco's post? I'd seriously rather shoot myself in the head than read that.