Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 521
    Given: 476

Re: ESPN FIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by DreamyCy View Post
    Did you even read what I said? All that I'm saying is when someone makes a poor decision where there are clear red flags and it leads to themselves or someone else getting in a sticky situation they should have some accountability even if if that said person ends up being the victim.

I just think it's interesting that you think there should be blame on the parent for making a bad decision that leads to their child being abused but when someone makes a bad decision for themselves and it leads to them getting abused they should have full immunity. Can you not see how flawed your thought process is?
    Actually the reason I put blame on the parent is because child endangerment is a crime, staying in an abusive relationship is not. Do you not see how flawed your scenario is?

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 712
    Given: 1,115

Quote Originally Posted by cylove View Post
    These "men" seem to think that by qualifying their statements that somehow they are less ridiculously horrible.

Like this one, "Running her mouth saying things she shouldn't say or putting her hands on him,"

But then trying to qualify it to make it not so bad " she didn't deserve it."

Then ultimately showing his true beliefs and reassigning the blame back to her "but there possibly been something she did that could have been prevented"

Wow
    Wow, you and illinclone have some archaic attitudes. I bet you get real upset when your wife does not have your supper ready when you get home. Do you allow her to vote?

No one should assault anyone, but that protection goes out the window when you are the assaulter.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,340
    Given: 937

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    There is just an utter lack of reading comprehension in this thread. I haven't read a single post in here saying that people who are abused deserved to be abused. Saying that someone isn't doing all they can to get away from an abuse is not, at all, the same thing as saying "they deserve it".

Those who take that original statement, and make the leap that what it REALLY means is that the originator is claiming that victims deserve their abuse, are just blinded by an emotional hot-button issue and are clearly making severe logical fallacies in order to stand by their emotionally based stance.

I think you do a disservice to people when you create a perception that they're powerless to make positive decisions or changes in their life. Yes, it's difficult to get out of an abusive relationship, but rather than just screaming about how difficult it is, why aren't we spending more time explaining the "how"?
    Exactly. Keep in mind this is a woman that, after the fact, married the guy the day before she had to testify against him. No woman ever deserves a beating (unless, as I said earlier, your own life or someone else's life is in danger from that woman), but she is clearly not doing everything she can to protect herself, and, while she won't deserve it, if Ray Rice decides to go Ray Rice on her again I'm going to feel a lot less sympathy for he.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 974
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 217
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    No one should assault anyone, but that protection goes out the window when you are the assaulter.
    THIS. Everybody read this one sentence. Summed up perfectly

ABC - Always Be Closing

Starter
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 30
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 7

This is such crap. Steven A Smith chooses to use his segment about Ray Rice and the NFL's decision to suspend him on a sports show to a male-dominated audience to talk to women about what they can do to prevent incidents. He tries to make this nuanced argument with his usual approach that is about as subtle as a sledgehammer. In the right forum the message may not be inappropriate, but the fact he chose to use this segment to divert the attention away from the athlete and sports league on a sports show is the bigger issue to me than the actual words he said. These sports talking heads talk about domestic violence like its the same as talking about who deserves this season's MVP award.

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 50
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 159
    Given: 185

Absolutely have lost all respect for Smith. The position that every time a women is abused/raped is because she was "asking for it" is a Neanderathalic mindset.

I'm assuming that people who agree with Smith would be fine if a man beats up their sisters, daughters, or mothers in similar circumstances.

"Of course the people don't want war ... the people can always be brought to do the bidding of the leaders. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger."
    -- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

Addict
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,011
    Given: 646

Quote Originally Posted by LivntheCyLife View Post
    This is such crap. Steven A Smith chooses to use his segment about Ray Rice and the NFL's decision to suspend him on a sports show to a male-dominated audience to talk to women about what they can do to prevent incidents. He tries to make this nuanced argument with his usual approach that is about as subtle as a sledgehammer. In the right forum the message may not be inappropriate, but the fact he chose to use this segment to divert the attention away from the athlete and sports league on a sports show is the bigger issue to me than the actual words he said. These sports talking heads talk about domestic violence like its the same as talking about who deserves this season's MVP award.
    Steven A. has talked plenty why Ray Rice's punishment was weak and why what he did was completely wrong. This isn't like this is the first time they have talked about the Ray Rice incident on that show.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 974
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 217
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Psiclone View Post
    Absolutely have lost all respect for Smith. The position that every time a women is abused/raped is because she was "asking for it" is a Neanderathalic mindset.

I'm assuming that people who agree with Smith would be fine if a man beats up their sisters, daughters, or mothers in similar circumstances.
    Yep you're right, that's totally what he was getting at

ABC - Always Be Closing

Addict
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,011
    Given: 646

Reading comprehension is hard, isn't it?

Addict
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 952
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 358
    Given: 1,406

This should be discussed at the CF Golf Outing, in person.

Are you a member?

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 268
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 34

It is an absolutely ridiculous mindset so it's a good thing that isn't at all what he was saying. Stephen A Smith is really annoying and I try to avoid hearing him speak at all costs but I must say it's pathetic how you and others here are twisting his and fellow CF posters words so you can feel superior.

Your assumption is so far off base it should be comical but instead it is infuriating. Smith and those who understand his point are simply saying if you mess with the bull you get the horns. I can almost guarantee Ray Rice wasn't a saint up to this point and the writing was on the wall. She didn't deserve getting knocked out and no woman deserves any form of abuse but bad people do bad things. Violent, evil people don't give a **** who deserves what and they're going to do what they want to do regardless of right and wrong.

If you can't comprehend this very simple concept then I have to assume you're the type who orders a coffee from McDonald's and sues them when you burn your mouth.

Addict
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,934
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 146

So Ray rice gets 2 games for Beating his wife.
    Jake Knott gets 4 games for Failing a grug test... wow, makes a lot of sense.

Legend
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 712
    Given: 1,115

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFB View Post
    So Ray rice gets 2 games for Beating his wife.
    Jake Knott gets 4 games for Failing a grug test... wow, makes a lot of sense.
    Gambling on your sport will result in a lifetime ban from the sport, while assaulting someone may get you a couple game suspension. When you consider which is a bigger threat to the integrity of the game and thus the health of the business, it makes senses.

Starter
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 30
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by awd4cy View Post
    Steven A. has talked plenty why Ray Rice's punishment was weak and why what he did was completely wrong. This isn't like this is the first time they have talked about the Ray Rice incident on that show.
    I'll admit I don't watch Stephen A very much but even if he said these things earlier, this is the classic NFL/ESPN/media pattern. Condemn an action then start the PR spin to set up the "comeback" story. Because the way to make up for domestic violence is to come back and play football well.

You're certainly right that Stephen A has certainly talked plenty. It's not totally his fault because I'm sure he's constantly being pushed to always have a unique take and always forcefully argue a side. But he just comes across as so tone deaf to the gravity of different situations. Even if he's truly outraged about the behavior and weak punishment of Ray Rice, it sounds just like when he argues about who should be starting next week.

Addict
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 601
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registeredOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 879
    Given: 1,580

Quote Originally Posted by Cychotiic View Post
    fanatics with poor reading comprehension: "So you think it's just okay for men to rape women then?"
    My mom is not fat